Constant crashing - nvidia driver - please help

mncd

n00b
I am completely lost on this problem.

I am getting Windows 10 BSOD randomly and often frequently. It just started within the past 2-3 weeks and it is incredibly sporadic. I typically get at least 3-4 crashes a day. Sometimes 6+. The crashes can occur when I'm doing something in the browser, or in After Effects or just closing a window. It has also crashed when I'm doing nothing at all.

I'm using the utility WhoCrashed and virtually every crash points to an nvidia driver. Either IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (I put the crash reports from WhoCrashed down below.

I have tried 3 or 4 different nvidia drivers with no change. I even installed an older nvidia card in case it was hardware related -- no change.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this problem is, and more importantly, how to fix it?

From WhoCrashed:

On Wed 7/6/2016 5:58:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070616-6984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x41556)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x61F08C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801B4087FF5)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Wed 7/6/2016 5:43:14 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070616-6718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x41556)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8039AE7CFF5, 0xFFFFD00023B7C058, 0xFFFFD00023B7B870)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.06 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

system:

Win 10-64
nvidia GTX 980 Ti
32 gb ram

The current driver version is already 368, why are you using the old driver? Did you use driver cleaner when you changed drivers?

Your crashes may be ram related. Run memtest for a few hours. If you get errors, start by removing all but one stick of your 32gigs, test - if problems go away switch to next stick, then next etc until you find the problem.

If 32gb is the max capacity your motherboard supports, it's possible that you're pushing the limits and it will work reliably only using certain brand and type memory.

Did you check memory compatibility from the motherboard vendor before buying the ram? Are all sticks the same type and size?

Last edited:
You're going to need to give us a lot more detail.

PSU
Overclock on CPU? GPU? What timings are you running your RAM at?
What motherboard do you have?
How are your temps for your CPU and GPU?
When was the last time you cleaned out the dust?
Have you run DDU and completely removed the drivers between installs?

Yes, Boonie -- I suppose they could be RAM related but if that was the case, would they virtually all be nvidia driver related in the logs? I would expect more random behavior as to which driver is assigned fault.

This was built by a vendor -- the RAM should be fully compatible with this board. The computer has run fine for about eight months.

It is an Asus Maximus VIII Hero board. Crucial Ballistix Sport PC4-19200 Ram.

The driver mentioned in those logs is just the most recent one I've tried. I was using the latest driver before that -- and I've tried about 3 others from over the past 6 months.

The current driver version is already 368, why are you using the old driver? Did you use driver cleaner when you changed drivers?

Your crashes may be ram related. Run memtest for a few hours. If you get errors, start by removing all but one stick of your 32gigs, test - if problems go away switch to next stick, then next etc until you find the problem.

If 32gb is the max capacity your motherboard supports, it's possible that you're pushing the limits and it will work reliably only using certain brand and type memory.

Did you check memory compatibility from the motherboard vendor before buying the ram? Are all sticks the same type and size?

Last edited:
Does it still crash when you uninstall the drivers and use the stock Windows Drivers?

Have you tried preventing the NVIDIA Control Panel and GeForce Experience from starting and seeing if that stops the crashing? There was a user here last week some time that had a weird crash issue with the NVIDIA Control Panel. There was some setting that they needed to turn off.

I have about the same setup as you and have no crashes. I would start investigating the RMA process or a return.

You're going to need to give us a lot more detail.

PSU
Overclock on CPU? GPU? What timings are you running your RAM at?
What motherboard do you have?
How are your temps for your CPU and GPU?
When was the last time you cleaned out the dust?
Have you run DDU and completely removed the drivers between installs?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero
i7 6700K -- no overclock -- temp between 45-50 C in all 4 cores.
980 Ti -- no overclock --45 C
RAM - stock settings - no overclock

Computer is only about 6-8 months old. So haven't done much dusting but it doesn't look bad inside.

Yes have used DDU, not every time, but I have used it.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero
i7 6700K -- no overclock -- temp between 45-50 C in all 4 cores.
980 Ti -- no overclock --45 C
RAM - stock settings - no overclock

Computer is only about 6-8 months old. So haven't done much dusting but it doesn't look bad inside.

Yes have used DDU, not every time, but I have used it.

If the computer is vendor built it has a guarantee. Send it back for repair.

Trying running heavy cpu/ram stress tests without the nvidia driver installed. If you still get crashes we can rule out the card, cause honestly im not convinced its the card yet. I havent experienced many cards cause bsods like that especially when its not even under any kind of stress...and i doubt many if any drivers are that buggy...not very often anyway

How do you install your drivers? First thing I would do is DDU and then do a custom install of the latest driver, picking only the video driver (no HD audio, 3D Vision, Miracast, etc.). If you're still having issues the I would suggest doing as B00nie said if it was built by a vendor.

That being said, I have found in the past that those blue screen errors are usually the result of an incompatibility with the network driver. Try installing the latest driver from here. It's worth a shot.
Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

If you have the iGPU enabled I would try uninstalling it in Windows and then disabling it in the BIOS. An incompatibility could also exist there. If you need the iGPU for any reason then you can also try updating its driver if you don't have the latest. This one was released June 17.
Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

ASUS have also released several BIOS updates for that particular motherboard that state "improve system stability." You could try flashing a new BIOS from their website to see if that helps. I would only do this after the stress testing that primetime suggested. If your system is vendor built, though, I would recommend not doing this before sending it in for repair.
MAXIMUS VIII HERO - Support

My vote is flaky Motherboard chipset drivers if no hardware errors.

Back