Consoles Are Holding PC Games Back

HardOCP News

[H] News
Crytek’s head honcho says that video game consoles are holding PC games back. And all this time you’ve been blaming lazy developers…shame on you.

"As long as the current console generation exists and as long as we keep pushing the PC as well, the more difficult it will be to really get the benefit of both", Crytek boss Cervat Yerli tells Edge magazine.

Tell us something we don't know. It's sad that Crysis is still the bar for PC gaming as far as pushing your system goes, and it's been out for a few years now.

PC has a bad case of consolitis that even Dr. House cannot fix.

It's a no-brainer, really.

Consoles have a much lower piracy rate than PCs. Don't get me wrong, I realize there is plenty of it going on on consoles -- ever since the NES. However, when comparing to the PC market, the consoles have had it pretty good -- the PS3 has the best, so far.

If I were a developer, I'd totally just cut my losses and develop for consoles only.

Not to mention, you can get away with paid DLC on consoles and probably sell a lot more of them, too.

Not this shit again....

The market base has moved on from nerd boy sitting in front of his computer. Gaming has gone mainstream, the general consumer still thinks (even though its not) that the PS3 and 360 have great graphics. Sitting at a desk playing games blows....they want to kickback on the couch and play. The fact that your PC can render Gordan Freeman's ball hairs or that the Keyboard and Mouse is better is irrelavant.

I cannot see how educated people do not understand that it has nothing to do with technology or piracy and everything to do with the direction of the industry.

/\/\/\yes, because we computer users are too stupid to have wireless keyboards and mice and are too stupid to game in our living room on our HD tvs or massive eyefinity setup.

yes we pc gamers are too stupid to do that, and the consoles help us get over how stupid we are...:rolleyes:

Not this shit again....

The market base has moved on from nerd boy sitting in front of his computer. Gaming has gone mainstream, the general consumer still thinks (even though its not) that the PS3 and 360 have great graphics. Sitting at a desk playing games blows....they want to kickback on the couch and play. The fact that your PC can render Gordan Freeman's ball hairs or that the Keyboard and Mouse is better is irrelavant.

I cannot see how educated people do not understand that it has nothing to do with technology or piracy and everything to do with the direction of the industry.

+1:)

Not this shit again....

When a console can render on three screens at once I will consider moving back to consoles.

And you must have a shitty setup if gaming at your desk "blows".

Uh, this is really old news, lol.

Unless you're gaming on multiple monitors, there hasn't been a reason to upgrade a video card in a couple years :(

Before the current gen of consoles came out, that last sentence would have seemed ludicrous.

Sitting at a desk playing games blows....they want to kickback on the couch and play.

Sounds like your PC setup blows. I sit on my couch with my bluetooth keyboard/mouse and my TV connected to my PC to play games. Consoles just nickle and dime you to death. MS and Sony should give away their consoles with all the money they make on subscriptions, DLC, etc.

/\/\/\yes, because we computer users are too stupid to have wireless keyboards and mice and are too stupid to game in our living room on our HD tvs or massive eyefinity setup.

yes we pc gamers are too stupid to do that, and the consoles help us get over how stupid we are...

Again....it has nothing to do with you, you are the EXTREME minority in this market now. It has passed you buy.

When a console can render on three screens at once I will consider moving back to consoles.

Again, what part of general consumer do you not understand?

It's a no-brainer, really.

Consoles have a much lower piracy rate than PCs. Don't get me wrong, I realize there is plenty of it going on on consoles -- ever since the NES. However, when comparing to the PC market, the consoles have had it pretty good -- the PS3 has the best, so far.

If I were a developer, I'd totally just cut my losses and develop for consoles only.

That's completely untrue, there are more console torrents than PC games it's been that way for a while now. In fact it's much easier to pirate console games than it is a PC game. With a computer, you need to crack/bypass each game individually. On the console side, you just purchase a modded box and download like crazy. Myself, I don't play console games, but a friend who does has both xbox flavors and thousands of games he never paid for and never had to mess with.

I don't support piracy of games, but I am getting tired of the excuse for no good PC games being that they are easier to pirate. I can't go down to the street corner and purchase copies of PC games, but I could easily pick up a modded xbox and a few hundred games in minutes.

Not this shit again....

The market base has moved on from nerd boy sitting in front of his computer. Gaming has gone mainstream

Control scheme + hobby + utilitarian tool. Thank God for computer games, otherwise I wouldn't be a Computer Scientist!

But yeah, watching people play games on consoles with the jaggies and crap controls makes me cringe.

And since I can't edit: since the general consumer wants shit (I always see retards going around with their Macbooks like even on Greyhound. If you didn't pay overpriced Apple tax you could have afforded an airplane ticket instead of traveling 13 hours in a bus to Chicago, idiot) let them have shit and let me be unassociated with the general consumer.

As a matter of fact, fuck that guy.

Another thread of useless "couch is better" and "piracy did it" bullshit.

Cevat is correct, and also guilty of the same thing he is talking about.

I do both and get the best of both worlds as a result. So the haters and fanboys can go DIAF.

News flash, nobody but a few dead enders are buying desktops anymore. Buying a desktop makes you look just as foolish as the old geezer down the street with a type writer and snail mail.

The entire computer market is moving to laptops, netbooks, and portable devices. Processing power is already more than enough. Faster graphics are worthless. Slim stuff down, make it consume less power, and give me a slimmer item that gets great battery life.

That's what everybody but a few people actually care about. So making "high end PC games" is making games for a market that doesn't exist, and is worthless for most people.

Here is what a PC game dev should realize, can it run extremely well on a mobile chipset IGP? if yes, you have a market. If not, you are creating games to run on machines that most people don't want to buy and consider a burden, and you deserve to go bankrupt and go out of buisness.

It really doesn't matter what a desktop can render and it's benefits, since nobody wants one anymore.

Blaming consoles is just silly. Blame the fact that everybody has moved on to low power and portable devices, that bulky power guzzler on your desk is nothing more than an antiquated eyesore for most people in the market for a computer. And when new game X with whizbang graphics doesn't run 100% on a lower powered laptop, people make their vote and don't buy it.

PC gaming needs to stop targeting graphics and highend desktops if it wants to survive.

News flash, nobody but a few dead enders are buying desktops anymore. Buying a desktop makes you look just as foolish as the old geezer down the street with a type writer and snail mail.

The entire computer market is moving to laptops, netbooks, and portable devices. Processing power is already more than enough. Faster graphics are worthless. Slim stuff down, make it consume less power, and give me a slimmer item that gets great battery life.

That's what everybody but a few people actually care about. So making "high end PC games" is making games for a market that doesn't exist, and is worthless for most people.

Here is what a PC game dev should realize, can it run extremely well on a mobile chipset IGP? if yes, you have a market. If not, you are creating games to run on machines that most people don't want to buy and consider a burden, and you deserve to go bankrupt and go out of buisness.

It really doesn't matter what a desktop can render and it's benefits, since nobody wants one anymore.

Blaming consoles is just silly. Blame the fact that everybody has moved on to low power and portable devices, that bulky power guzzler on your desk is nothing more than an antiquated eyesore for most people in the market for a computer. And when new game X with whizbang graphics doesn't run 100% on a lower powered laptop, people make their vote and don't buy it.

PC gaming needs to stop targeting graphics and highend desktops if it wants to survive.

As much as I hate to admit it, this is dead on.

Not this shit again....

You're absolutely right. The tech minded people on this website are very short sighted when it comes to technology and why it's driven by the consumer and not us. Yes PC's have superior graphics, yes PC's have superior game play, yes they have superior controls, etc, etc but at the end of the day, despite everything that PC's do better than consoles (and there is a hell of a lot on that list) consoles are still better. Console games are more relaxing, require minimal effort, have no setup, no compatibility/upgrade issues, and you can play a buddy sitting right next to you on a comfy sofa rather than being holed up alone in the office on an uncomfortable chair at the back of your house. The PC is superior but in the end the console is a better experience. It's that reason why outdated consoles clean up, horribly restrictive things like the iPad sell like hotcakes, and the Wii and all of its underpowered glory ran away in the console race.

[H] members don't get it and they never will. We're too concerned about numbers, stats, do-dads, standards, etc to get why consumers do what they do. I'm guilty of it....for the life of me I don't get why people obsess over technically inferior products, it drives me bonkers, but they do. It all has to do with image, perception, and ease of use.

The game scene will change when PC users can play FPS and other games with more than one person tied to the PC while playing other users across the country. Sure there are some games that can..... but as is that would be a monster of a machine to run something like that while keeping the same graphic quality on each window. I can imagine that being cheap. Consoles = cheap and easy to replace.

The market base has moved on from nerd boy sitting in front of his computer.

So you're typing this with your wii I assume?

the general consumer thinks

Not really.

they want to kickback on the couch and play.

And this is why the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Kinect are popular I suppose... because you sit on your ass to use them. Right.

The fact that your PC can render Gordan Freeman's ball hairs or that the Keyboard and Mouse is better is irrelavant.

First - Rule34, please stop feeding it.

Second, the rendering power of a PC is not irrelevant. The rendering power of the PC is what DRIVES hardware advances. People did not buy Pentiums to balance their checkbooks. The bought them so they could play Quake. Voodoo cards? Quake 2 and Unreal. Game software was pushing the games that pushed the hardware industry, and now there's several companies pushing the envelope with graphics and physics. You're on [H]ardOCP for crying out loud! Do you honestly think that you're going to convince PC enthusiasts that advances in PC Graphics are irrelevant?

Third, if you think keyboard and mouse are so irrelevant, you have no business talking about PC Games. Get back to me when console games no longer have aim assist and someone uses one of those unworkable console controllers to take down Fatal1ty or CZM in a 1 vs 1 tournament.

That's your fail, not ours. We know that the direction of the industry is always determined by money. Why else do you think the new "evil" in the world of software is used game sales? Console devs look at used game sales the way PC devs look at piracy - lost revenue. Devs that were PC-only now make cross-platform games to broaden their market reach. Making games is very expensive now, and it's just good business sense to appeal to as many customers as you can. If the divide between PC's and consoles becomes too great again, you'll see a return to a lack of cross-platform development.

PC gaming needs good titles that are not dumbed down, franchise butchered, bugfests.
Lol, you're completely missing the point, that is the very reason why PC gaming is failing. You may not want that but it's what drives the industry.

First - Rule34, please stop feeding it.

Second, the rendering power of a PC is not irrelevant. The rendering power of the PC is what DRIVES hardware advances. People did not buy Pentiums to balance their checkbooks. The bought them so they could play Quake. Voodoo cards? Quake 2 and Unreal. Game software was pushing the games that pushed the hardware industry, and now there's several companies pushing the envelope with graphics and physics. You're on [H]ardOCP for crying out loud! Do you honestly think that you're going to convince PC enthusiasts that advances in PC Graphics are irrelevant?
People were buying Pentiums for other software. The ability to rip music without choking up your system and creating blips in your mp3's, playing and burning DVD content, etc, etc. Gamers had very very very little influence on processor sales back then and they have even less now.

Lol, you're completely missing the point, that is the very reason why PC gaming is failing. You may not want that but it's what drives the industry.

Why is a market that grows year by year considered "failing"?

What the "average consumer" wants is crap, because the average person is an uneducated idiot.

I will continue to vote with my wallet. I own a nice TV and a very nice surround sound system, leather couches and recliners, and I also own a high end PC with SLI 580s and 3 monitors. So I have pretty much the best possible experience in both regards. Yet I still game almost exclusively on my PC. Why? I play games for the gaming experience, which is better on a PC.

The ironic thing is 90% of games are on both platforms. All it would take is for the developers to develop for the PC first then dumb it down for the consoles, instead of develop for the consoles and then port it to the PC, and everyone would be happy. I don't understand why it isn't done that way.

People were buying Pentiums for other software. The ability to rip music without choking up your system and creating blips in your mp3's, playing and burning DVD content, etc, etc. Gamers had very very very little influence on processor sales back then and they have even less now.

Your point is that we will never want or need hyper-realistic immersive environments in games because it can't be rendered on an iPhone? Let's be realistic, desktop parts are what is driving the industry towards newer and better technology. They do not design the mobile CPU counterparts FIRST then modify them for desktop.

I still find it funny that people are buying CrossFire and SLI setups. For what? So you can run 150 frames per second instead of 100 with all options on? Metro2033 was the last Graphic Intensive game I played that caused my computer go break a very slight sweat. I am looking forward to Crysis 2 hopefully being able to make my single graphics card actually work a bit.

Great words, from the company that is making Crysis 2 using a dumbed down CryEngine 2.

<illogical rant on.. more because I get pissed at the state of the PC market now a days :/ and dealing with people buying the shit that's available>

market that grows year by year? sorry you lost me there, who has the highest market share of desktop graphics... oh wait that's right it's intel with there POS integrated shit. Who has highest market share of notebook graphics... oh wait, again it's intel, with integrated shit ... with AMD's integrated shit not far behind. Lets go shopping for a new computer... Oh wait, everything in B&M stores is low quality, generic shit parts, with integrated everything... lets try Dell or HP or Acer instead... well shit it's the same thing again just with diffrent processors... About the only thing people buying computers care about is how fast farmville will load, and can they watch movies / listen to itunes and they only want to pay $300-$400 for it.

</illogical rant off>

Great words, from the company that is making Crysis 2 using a dumbed down CryEngine 2.

Well, that is just false. CryEngine 3 is what is being used, and according to the tech specs, is much improved over the engine (CryEngine 2) that was used to make Crysis. However, will that tech be pushed to its limits on the PC port of the new game? Likely not as far as it should.

really its not a matter of what drives the market, its a matter of lets make a console game and then do a shitty port to pc. This shows with most games released this year, and this year has been bad as far as pc gaming goes, the only game i have pre-ordered that was 100% playable on release night was SC2, and thats because blizzard does not make a console game and port it to pc. Oh and they generally take the time to fix shit before release date. And for those that say pc's dont drive the market.... maybe not so much in the us but worldwide i believe you are wrong, just look at all the asian's that make a living and a national sport out of WoW and SC1 and 2.. When was the last time you seen halo tournaments being shoutcasted and ppl actually watching? When do you see huge cons devoted to pc gaming (sorry bout this kyle) like quakecon or dreamhack or hell even blizcon? And also you will never see me try to game on a laptop... even the highest end asus rog or alienware laptop still have horrible I/O and watered down graphics cards when for the same price i can build a kick ass gaming desktop with a way bigger screen and better performance.

It really hasn't since the start of this console generation. Games typically take 2-4 years to develop. Guess when the PC games really stopped pushing the envelope? Do the math...

I've got some bad news for you friend... you just may be on the wrong forum...

The majority here happen to be those :rolleyes: "old geezers"...

bullshit that desktops are dead. I have a desktop and I have a laptop and I have a netbook.

each on has a purpose, and my desktop's purpose is to rock the shit out of anything else when it comes to gaming.

Games are made for consoles, because they are market dominant. It has nothing to do with desktops being dead. That's an absurd position. The market drives the games being made, and console games are big sellers. When the new consoles come out, and the specs are much better then our pc games will improve.

which means, consoles drive the market, and again, it has nothing at all to do with desktops being dead. Unless people stop having homes, they won't stop having desktop PCs with heaps more power than any portable will.

Dumbing down PC games is the last fucking thing that needs to happen. Go play farmville.

Back