Consoles Are Banned In China?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I seriously don’t understand how consoles can be banned in China. Ummm, aren’t they all MADE there?

In June 2000, the Ministry of Culture issued a notice, forbidding any company or individual to produce and sell electronic game equipment and accessories to China. The regulation suspended the plan of Sony Corporation to launch PS2 in the Chinese market.

huh, back in 2000? pretty sure I saw consoles at some of my relative's houses when I visited back 2003

Because it makes kids stupid. Which kid do you think is smarter, the kid who buys and plays games on an already built console, or the kid that builds his own pc to play his games?

Consoles are sold in many places, not hard to find at all. The law is pretty pointless.

Didn't someone try to ban the import of the PS2 because the hardware could be used for missle systems or something?

Can't have those filthy fucking commoners playing consoles! They need need to be building them! Dear Leader will make sure all is right!

Wow, am I lucky to have been born when and where I was.

I seriously don’t understand how consoles can be banned in China. Ummm, aren’t they all MADE there?

There's nothing to understand. They do it because they exercise power. Period.
It's just the way Totalitarianism Works. Back in the 60-90s Cubans weren't allowed in the Country's own hotels as guests.Same old, same old.

huh, back in 2000? pretty sure I saw consoles at some of my relative's houses when I visited back 2003

Just because they don't sell in the country, doesn't mean you can't get a hold of it. They don't sell Japanese PS2s in the states, but many have one. I have a Japanese PS2, Japanese PS3, Japanese 360, and Japanese PSP. None of them were sold in the states.

Because it makes kids stupid. Which kid do you think is smarter, the kid who buys and plays games on an already built console, or the kid that builds his own pc to play his games?

I would think the Chinese did it to keep the outside world away from the Chinese people. If the people of China knew the lives people have in America, Europe, Japan, Canada, and Australia they would revolt and kill off the government. It's the same reason why they built the great firewall of China.

BTW, I believe those are the only civilized countries in the world.

I would think the Chinese did it to keep the outside world away from the Chinese people. If the people of China knew the lives people have in America, Europe, Japan, Canada, and Australia they would revolt and kill off the government. It's the same reason why they built the great firewall of China.

BTW, I believe those are the only civilized countries in the world.

Do you also believe that Europe is a country?

uruguay and south korea are pretty industrialized (which is what i'm hoping you meant)

"civilized" is a very poor choice of wording.

I think at this point, we should just ignore Ashbringer's ignorant comment.

One can definitely obtain consoles in China. I recall stores selling them when I was there last week. In response to Ashbringer (Assuming he is serious): You need to open your eyes a bit. Go to China and see for yourself.

One can definitely obtain consoles in China. I recall stores selling them when I was there last week. In response to Ashbringer (Assuming he is serious): You need to open your eyes a bit. Go to China and see for yourself.

Trolls do not usually leave Mom's basement.

I bought a PSP in Shenzhen in 2007. The store I bought it at had PS2 and a crap load of games as well.

There's nothing to understand. They do it because they exercise power. Period.
It's just the way Totalitarianism Works. Back in the 60-90s Cubans weren't allowed in the Country's own hotels as guests.Same old, same old.

Cuban's are still not allowed in the hotels or allowed to buy beef. They don't have toilet seats on their toilets, a lot of their stoves are just a coil of wire jacked into the hydro and the list goes on and on. You are wrong. Totalitarianism rocks. Che is the man...

I sell you Ps3 come with 10 game only 20 dollar :p
polystation-3.jpg

In response to Ashbringer (Assuming he is serious): You need to open your eyes a bit. Go to China and see for yourself.

You mean to tell me that China isn't isolating it's people in some way?

Kelv said:
Do you also believe that Europe is a country?
No, but I'm not about to name every country within Europe.

sabrewolf732 said:
uruguay and south korea are pretty industrialized (which is what i'm hoping you meant)
Ok, so I missed a few countries.

china owns our asses, I find it funny such a "conservative" country put so much money into us.

I don't know how much of china is actually chinese though, the government is embracing the capitalistic hong kong approach.

Russian climate is changing, USA won't be the best and brightest in the world very soon, if not already.

I can't imagine a world we don't dominate. It's coming.

Japan actually has more US debt than China does now. Still, neither of them owes even a 1/4 of our debt.

Building a car is infinitely more complicated than tossing a computer together, yet a lot of mechanics barely have a high school education.

Just sayin' ;)

Building a car is infinitely more complicated than tossing a computer together, yet a lot of mechanics barely have a high school education.

Just sayin' ;)

Ya, no kidding. Replacing just a rear drum brake assembly is more complicated than building a computer.

Just sayin' ;)

If you are good at one thing... does anything else matter? I agree in a way, but I bet you a lot of them are pretty smart, but never applied themselves towards a better education.

If you are good at one thing... does anything else matter? I agree in a way, but I bet you a lot of them are pretty smart, but never applied themselves towards a better education.

What good is calculus, speech, literature, english, etc for a grease monkey? Our degree programs are nothing more than money making machines. Vocational is the way to go.

I actually just got back from china a few weeks ago...and i saw PS3s Wiis and xBoxs for sale...along with pirated games for 10rnb (a little over $1 USD)

Wait, I have a better question, if this all went down in 2000, why is it news NOW? (no I didn't read the article, I'm tired :p ).

Wait, I have a better question, if this all went down in 2000, why is it news NOW? (no I didn't read the article, I'm tired :p ).

It was censored by westerners, so we couldn't see what was going on.

china owns our asses, I find it funny such a "conservative" country put so much money into us.

I don't know how much of china is actually chinese though, the government is embracing the capitalistic hong kong approach.

Russian climate is changing, USA won't be the best and brightest in the world very soon, if not already.

I can't imagine a world we don't dominate. It's coming.

First off, China is embracing capitalism, the US way, since it was our advisors that helped them redevelop their economic system.

Secondly, China is not "putting money into us" they are buying up our debt and then lending us money to help them control the largest of the western powers. How many nations are on the security council? If they can leverage their economic power over one, that doubles their say in the council.

Everything they are doing makes sense. Remember, recently their top rating system downgraded almost all of the western nations credit ratings. They have a very definite system going on.

As for why they would ban the consoles they make in their own country, that is relatively simple. If your people aren't buying the consoles, that is more product you are exporting. Plus, they have a lot of issues currently with people in their country spending waaay too much time on the internet and playing games. They are trying to rectify that the only way they know how....totalitarian style.

I, too, can vouch for China selling consoles. I saw quite a few for sale in various places when I visited Beijing last year. It was in a large market too, so not any sort of secret underground black market. The overall authenticity of both the consoles and the games was somewhat dubious, however.

I, too, can vouch for China selling consoles. I saw quite a few for sale in various places when I visited Beijing last year. It was in a large market too, so not any sort of secret underground black market. The overall authenticity of both the consoles and the games was somewhat dubious, however.

lol you can saw that about almost all the things you buy in China.

lol you can saw that about almost all the things you buy in China.

This is unfortunately very true. Of all of the mechanical or electronic items that I bought while there, all of them have broken in some way or another within a few months.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

Ya, no kidding. Replacing just a rear drum brake assembly is more complicated than building a computer.

I put my own brakes on and build my own computers. The only difference between working on cars and computers is that cars rust. Rust sucks, so you need muscle to break the bolts lose, or in some cases a new bolt. :mad:

Real genius is when you try to mix the two together. I already got a cheap OBDII to Blue-Tooth adapter that works with everything from my Android phone to my laptop. Now I just need a car-puter to play movies, listen to music, and being able to clear engine codes.

I put my own brakes on and build my own computers. The only difference between working on cars and computers is that cars rust. Rust sucks, so you need muscle to break the bolts lose, or in some cases a new bolt. :mad:

Real genius is when you try to mix the two together. I already got a cheap OBDII to Blue-Tooth adapter that works with everything from my Android phone to my laptop. Now I just need a car-puter to play movies, listen to music, and being able to clear engine codes.

I do all my small car repairs and maintenance myself. Why pay a guy $400, when I can just buy $10 worth of parts, then do the work myself (CV boot replacement costs, approx). When I get back to the states, I'm going to swap my rear drums to discs.

Anyways, adding a computer to a car is easy. It's making that computer do all kinds of crazy stuff to the car. Like being able to wirelessly remote into the computer, then have it start your car and unlock your doors.

I'm thinking of putting an itx machine in my car with a USB powered touchscreen monitor. Load up some tunes, GPS, etc on it.

What good is calculus, speech, literature, english, etc for a grease monkey? Our degree programs are nothing more than money making machines. Vocational is the way to go.

It's all about what makes you happy. For some people a simple life is all it takes.. For others it's takes more.

Back