Console games just cost too much...

Um, no. Playing Forza and only Forza does not appeal to me in the least. Especially considering there are better racing sims on the PC. What exactly is it I should read again?

i just got killzone 2 used for $20.00 at blockbuster using a $10 0ff coupon.

if money is no issue, you wouldn't care, so you're contradicting yourself. My mom lives in california and I live on my own in NYC, and I also fail to see how getting laid has to do with money, but feel free to enlighten me :D

Haha I am glad someone saw that too and said the same thing i said. As for getting laid part, I think what he meant is you dont pay for your sex which then it also goes back and raises questions if the op does.

Not really. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you're going to stop caring about the prices you pay. Maybe when you're a multimillionaire those things don't matter, but really, $60 is a lot for a single game.

Then pick another hobby or take advice from the smart people in this thread and either A. Wait for Deals B. Rent or C. Visit a Local Gamestop and trade in old games for newer games.

As for my opinion on the topic. Like I said, There are countless things you can do to buy or obtain current games and enjoy the gaming hobby. The $60 price tag is not 100% final theres always deals going around online and in stores. I have played countless games (Check my Xfire) and only a select few games I actually paid full price.

This thread well the op made my day.

I have yet to pay full price for a PS3 game. I look for deals or buy used, simple as that. I got Killzone 2, FNR4 (2 copies, thanks BB for screwing up the order), & UFC 2009 all brand new for around $60.

Gaming is an expensive hobby.

I admittedly don't purchase a whole ton of games per year. Valve games and EA NHL games are my only "must buy on day 1" games. I usually buy Tomb Raider games, Hitman games, FEAR games, and Gears of War games as well, but I often wait for the first price drop. Anything else is usually a rental, unless it's a game I'm very interested in (GTAIV, Halo 3, Gears of War franchise). Game rentals were great in the N64 days and the PS2 days, but I find that it's harder to find copies of the games you want to play.

Used games might be a good avenue. I like keeping a collection of my games, so I rarely sell them. Most of my friends frequently take advantage of trade-in promotions.

I have yet to pay full price for a PS3 game. I look for deals or buy used, simple as that. I got Killzone 2, FNR4 (2 copies, thanks BB for screwing up the order), & UFC 2009 all brand new for around $60.

Same here, in most cases. Only in very rare cases do I buy a game at the launch price. I just snagged MGS4 brand new for $14.99 on black friday, and LBP: GOTYE and God of War collection for *free* with my BF PS3 bundle :). I'm thinking of snagging motorstorm for $9.99 used at gamestop, too; looks like an HD Excite Truck :p

I was at Walmart today and they had NHL10 for $39.99 CAD and they also had Demons Souls for $69.99 CAD. Of course I bought NHL10 and not DS even though I want DS too. I will wait until I see a better price.
$59.99 CAD and I would have bought it but that is my breaking point on any game. Go above $59.99 CAD and I just do not buy and unfortunately most AAA titles are $69.99 CAD.

I feel the garbage games cost too much. I only buy games based of multiplayer.
Cod mw2 for $60 is great buy, I will log over 200 hrs in that game easy just on multiplayer. Buying a game for single player is a horrible mistake since most stories are around 10 hours.

As long as u get good MP games $60 isn't a big deal at all. I am almost at the bottom of the financial totem pole but i have no trouble paying $130 a year for madden and call of duty

I bought an over-priced and shitty console game because it's cheaper than other hobbies! It's so great!

Console game prices today are way better than when I paid $70 for Final Fantasy III for SNES in 1994. The days of cartridges were way, way worse.

Console game prices today are way better than when I paid $70 for Final Fantasy III for SNES in 1994. The days of cartridges were way, way worse.
So did I, and that was when I could finally find a copy. Disc media is a lot cheaper and easier to mass produce.

FFIII was totally worth it though. :p

I've been playing Forza 3 non stop and it has been well worth the $30 I paid for it. And, I just got CoD6 at Wal-Mart for $50. Not a steal, but the deals are there, just have to know when to buy.

$30? Wow, nice deal on that one. That would be about $1 per hour for me so far. :D

Wait about a year after a game release and buy it on the PC. I just bought Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PC for $7.50 from steam.

The argument I have heard of consoles being a cheaper alternative... not really in the long run. I pay $1000 for the PC that I use for everything and only occasionally upgrade components every 2-3 years ($200-300). I only buy 3-4 computer games a year (since I have much better replay with mods and superior free multiplayer) Each game I buy cost an average of $35 each.

Here is a rough break down
$1400 for PC including upgrades for 4 year period (Could either go with 2 budget gaming systems or one higher end system with future upgrades)
$35x16= $560 4 games a year multiplied by 4years
Total: $1960

Now with consoles you purchase the system which is around $300 lets say on average a year or so after it comes out. Then you buy the games which costs on average of $50. Then online service which is $50 a year. Add in the fact you wont have enough content to keep you entertained you need to buy about 6 games a year.

$600 for 2 consoles (since roughly every 4 years new console system comes out)
$1200 6 games a year multiplied by 4 years $50x24
$200 for 4 years of online service
$300 for accessories including replacing broken game controllers
Total: $2300

Now of course the console gamer is coming out with more games... However the entertainment is lost much easier with a console game due to lack of expanding content and enhancing graphic options with a new video card. You also get the versatility use out of the PC with work, internet surfing, etc. There is a reason Microsoft went full steam ahead into the console gaming market (it was to take every last penny out of the consumer).

I got WWE Legends of wrestlemania on my PS3 from target clearance for $19.98.Im a oldskool wrestling fan.

There's so much bias in your comments, so I'm going to rebias from the other side. The console fanboy perspective if you will. :D

Here is a rough break down
$1400 for PC including upgrades for 4 year period(Could either go with 2 budget gaming systems or one higher end system with future upgrades)
$35x16= $560 4 games a year multiplied by 4years
Total: $1960

$600 for 2 consoles (since roughly every 4 years new console system comes out)
$1200 6 games a year multiplied by 4 years $50x24
$200 for 4 years of online service
$300 for accessories including replacing broken game controllers
Total: $2300
$1400 for a 4 year pc, huh? Does that include the $400 video card I might buy every 2 years? Or the $600 monitor? What about the $300 speakers? The $500 headphone setup? What about the HDD's or fans that have died out of warranty? $1400 wouldn't even come close to the experience I'd want. And games aren't always $35, sometimes they can be $50 as well. Don't forget all the time I've invested building the case and dremeling the crap out of it.

Lastly, maintenance on a PC, patches for a game, crashes, mods, all of that eats up A LOT of time. Time the console gamer doesn't have to deal w/ because everything's delivered to them. Sure, I might have to pay $35 per year for Live (deals, don't forget deals!), but that means I can get my trailers, patches, and community experience in one convenient spot.

I bought 1 console, the 360. And I paid $150 for the Elite due to deals. I have 2 games so far that each cost $40, Forza 3 and MW2. $300 for accessories, wtf? I've never broken a controller on a console. And I've never bought accessories for one either.

For what a friend of mine paid for his 2 285FTW complete w/ water blocks, I've paid MUCH less for an entire system. One that's very quiet and puts out nearly zero heat. A system that doesn't require me to sit at a desk in an uncomfortable position. A system that asks me to simply push play and be done with it. For years I've been a PC only gamer, but in the past 2 months, my PC has not been used at all for gaming. Why muck w/ something like that if I can go horizontal on a couch in front of much larger display w/ a much better sound system?

I can buy things you cant because I have more money than you, therefore I am better than you.

There's so much bias in your comments, so I'm going to rebias from the other side. The console fanboy perspective if you will. :D

$1400 for a 4 year pc, huh? Does that include the $400 video card I might buy every 2 years? Or the $600 monitor? What about the $300 speakers? The $500 headphone setup? What about the HDD's or fans that have died out of warranty? $1400 wouldn't even come close to the experience I'd want. And games aren't always $35, sometimes they can be $50 as well. Don't forget all the time I've invested building the case and dremeling the crap out of it.

Lastly, maintenance on a PC, patches for a game, crashes, mods, all of that eats up A LOT of time. Time the console gamer doesn't have to deal w/ because everything's delivered to them. Sure, I might have to pay $35 per year for Live (deals, don't forget deals!), but that means I can get my trailers, patches, and community experience in one convenient spot.

I bought 1 console, the 360. And I paid $150 for the Elite due to deals. I have 2 games so far that each cost $40, Forza 3 and MW2. $300 for accessories, wtf? I've never broken a controller on a console. And I've never bought accessories for one either.

For what a friend of mine paid for his 2 285FTW complete w/ water blocks, I've paid MUCH less for an entire system. One that's very quiet and puts out nearly zero heat. A system that doesn't require me to sit at a desk in an uncomfortable position. A system that asks me to simply push play and be done with it. For years I've been a PC only gamer, but in the past 2 months, my PC has not been used at all for gaming. Why muck w/ something like that if I can go horizontal on a couch in front of much larger display w/ a much better sound system?

I didnt include the display because you need to purchase one as well for a console... It only takes one $200 video card to surpass or meet the console graphics anway.

True story: I have never dumped in excess of 1000 hours in any console game. Diablo 2, Quake 3, Counter-Strike, World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2 all claim such honors off the top of my head in the PC gaming department.

I acquired a PS3 at the beginning of the month and I have to be perfectly honest with you: I completely disagree with every statement you made. I find it more uncomfortable to play console games. Whether I sit on a couch, an armchair or a fucking beanbag, I build up a headache and I shift around far, FAR more than I do on my PC. I can play for 5-10 hours straight, no breaks here. If I tried that on the PS3 I think my head would explode.

I double click the icons for my games and they load up within seconds, no issues whatsoever. My headphones blow out of the water any speaker setup with regard to gameplay oriented (read: not cinematic experience) sound. My monitor may not be that big, but true 120Hz will trump any TV on the market as far as GAMEPLAY is concerned. Gameplay. You know, that thing games were concerned with before parallax occlusion mapping, spherical harmonic lighting and phong shading became pervasive buzz words in the gaming industry?

I have tried the console gaming thing, I really have, but it always brings me back to the same resoundingly true conclusion:

PC GAMING IS BETTER.

That is all.

Good God, there's no need for so much bullcrap in one thread guys.

There's no need to choose a side. You CAN have a PC and a console, you know...

Good God, there's no need for so much bullcrap in one thread guys.

THAT IS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[kicks you into bottomless pit]

Why muck w/ something like that if I can go horizontal on a couch in front of much larger display w/ a much better sound system?

Is there some sort of earth-shattering reason why you can't connect your PC to the TV and the "much better sound system"?

I can't game while not sitting upright. When I play my PS3 I just swivel my chair around to look at the TV. Anything else feels too ... weird.

And my PC has better sound than my TV considering my PC has surround sound, because computer speakers are way cheaper than a decent set of home theater speakers for your TV.

My PC moniter is also higher res than my TV, though 8 inches smaller.

Honestly I think big tv's are sort of overrated, unless you can get it for cheap. The bigger the TV, the further you have to sit away, so it sort of cancels out.

So all in all, my PC has better video and sound, but I still play console games because of exclusives.

I acquired a PS3...PC GAMING IS BETTER.
You know what, I'd probably feel the same had I picked up a PS3. :D Haha, I kid, Demon's Souls and Uncharted were awesome.

Is there some sort of earth-shattering reason why you can't connect your PC to the TV and the "much better sound system"?
I picked up one of those portable plastic table things for use w/ mouse and keyboard on the couch, but it still felt awkward to me. Not to mention the hassle of moving it back and forth. The only pc games I really enjoy are fast paced or frantic online shooters like UT, Halo PC, BF2, L4D, or F.E.A.R. Combat. Those all feel just fine for me and the PC does a great job on a table in a closer environment.

I'm sure I'll get around to fixing up the gaming PC when something that piques my interested comes out...like Battlefield 3. For now, I'm a new console owner and enjoying that. I'm a pretty lazy dude and the lack of work involved w/ consoling makes me a happy dude. :D

...because computer speakers are way cheaper than a decent set of home theater speakers for your TV...Honestly I think big tv's are sort of overrated, unless you can get it for cheap.
I'm using a cheap Onkyo HTIB. It cost as much as my Klipsch Promedia 4.1's did and it sounds quite a bit better. My poor Klipsch sub just belches out whatever it feels like, it doesn't really understand what it's doing...but it's ok. :D Really, computer specific speakers pretty much fail @ delivering immersion in spades. Even the cheapest of bookshelf speakers would be a better option than some of the silliness Logitech puts out.

Big TV's overrated, huh? Something tells me you haven't seen a Kuro or one of the newer Panasonic plasmas. LCD's look like shit compared to those. As for price, Sears has the 42S1 for $665 right now. No LCD in that price range could begin to compete w/ the level of black detail or motion fluidity a good plasma delivers.

Last edited:
I picked up one of those portable plastic table things for use w/ mouse and keyboard on the couch, but it still felt awkward to me. Not to mention the hassle of moving it back and forth. The only pc games I really enjoy are fast paced or frantic online shooters like UT, Halo PC, BF2, L4D, or F.E.A.R. Combat. Those all feel just fine for me and the PC does a great job on a table in a closer environment.

With the whole console-port craze at the moment, more and more games are supporting gamepads out of the box. Playing those online FPS games on PC with a gamepad wouldn't be a good idea since everyone else will most likely be rocking mice and keyboards, but single-player is perfectly fine.

I guess I just don't care about my TV enough to invest in an expensive one or surround sound.

I don't even watch TV on my TV, I usually end up watching most shows on my computer because it's more convenient. So all I use my TV for is the PS3, which doesn't even DO 1080p games. Also, if I were to buy a HTIB for it, it would cost as much as the TV or PS3 did in the first place, and for PS3 games, which aren't exactly serious business, I can't bring myself to cough up that much money.

The ONLY time I've ever found surround sound useful, in anything, is FPS's. And console FPS's blow hard, so yea....

I've never really been BIG on having the best sound possible. I care 100x more about picture/graphics than I do sound. The only reason I bought surround sound for my PC was to do better in Counter-Strike, to be honest with you. lulz.

You have heard of Star Wars, right? :p

I've gone through MW2 on 360 3x. Last night I put in a little online time and had a friggin' blast.

I have no clue what this thread was about before this. Just came in and read this hilarious last post. Now, my thoughts:

If you liked MW2 campaign enough to play it 3 times, you either have the taste of a pubescent boy, or the attention span of a squirrel. And if you enjoy the multiplayer more than any number of better quality games out there (not to mention the original CoD), you either have an insatiable appetite for incredibly omnipresent spam from the skies, or again, have the attention span of a squirrel.

That is all :p

...you either have the taste of a pubescent boy, or the attention span of a squirrel.
Do you feel less soggy now? Like a better, bigger popcorn?

And if you enjoy the multiplayer more than any number of better quality games out there (not to mention the original CoD)...
Never once did I mention anything comparing this to another 360 multiplayer experience.

FFIII was totally worth it though. :p
You damn skippy! I just started playing through the GBA port and I gotta say, Sabin is OP. :D

I split my time pretty evenly between my PC and PS3 when I'm at home, though - it just depends on how badly you want to play a game vs. how badly you want to wait for the price to drop. There are gaming deals to be had on both systems. I've had good luck buying alot of year-old-ish PS3 games on Amazon for around $30, and I've had good luck buying alot of PC games via Steam.

Gaming is kind of a pricy hobby, honestly, but you can do it on a budget and still enjoy yourself. With PC gaming you pay for it up front with the cost of hardware and in console games you pay for it in the games a little at a time.

Look at it this way: You could build a usable everyday PC for $350 and buy a PS3 or 360 Elite for $300, or you could build a nice gaming system for $900 (I'm counting a monitor upgrade in this) and save a little on games. At some point that dollar amount evens out.

Or you could build a passable gaming system for $750 and get the PS3 anyway, which is what I did. :p

I'm sure I'll get around to fixing up the gaming PC when something that piques my interested comes out...like Battlefield 3.

OT, but I'm relieved to see there is someone here that actually knows how to spell that word. I've read several times lately how something "peaked" someone's interest, and it's damn annoying. :p

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

do what I do,

wait till they hit the bargain ben...i have bought counltess games at BB for $5 $10 and $15 and they were all $50 or more when new

do what I do,

wait till they hit the bargain ben...i have bought counltess games at BB for $5 $10 and $15 and they were all $50 or more when new

Same here. There are very few games I'm willing to pay launch prices for. Next one will likely be Mass Effect 2, though. Dammit!

I have no clue what this thread was about before this. Just came in and read this hilarious last post. Now, my thoughts:

If you liked MW2 campaign enough to play it 3 times, you either have the taste of a pubescent boy, or the attention span of a squirrel. And if you enjoy the multiplayer more than any number of better quality games out there (not to mention the original CoD), you either have an insatiable appetite for incredibly omnipresent spam from the skies, or again, have the attention span of a squirrel.

That is all :p

Wow, +1 to being a jerk.

Back