• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Connecting two routers to one cable modem

takt

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
65
My ISP allows me to have 2 IP addresses and I'm thinking of hooking up two routers (1 wireless, 1 wired only) to grab each of the IPs.

Instead of using a switch or hub, are there "splitters" which can plug directly into the cable modem and split into two ports? I'm trying to not add another wall wart to the mix here.

I've seen splitters which say that you will need an identical splitter on the opposite end, so I don't think that's the right product.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
 
Buy a router that supports multiple WAN IP addresses. You may find that one of your current ones already does.
 
Switch it is then. Unfortunately it means another wall wart to the problem.

The other router is a Mikrotik, but I have a good setup on it right now which I'm unwilling to mess with.

Thanks for the suggestions.
 
This is all dependent on your cable modem and router(s).
 
That is great that you have two IP addresses allowed?

Why do you need to use two public IP's? Only asking. Are you wanting to run servers on them?

As far as 1 IP is concerned why not just use NAT to share your address.
 
I did this a few years ago since my brother and me couldn't be on XBL at the same time. Solved it by putting a switch between the routers (each grabbing an IP) and the modem, after that it worked great.
 
I did this a few years ago since my brother and me couldn't be on XBL at the same time. Solved it by putting a switch between the routers (each grabbing an IP) and the modem, after that it worked great.

That makes no sense, xbox live doesn't care what you use for an external IP. I've had dozens of xboxes on live simultaneously before.
 
That makes no sense, xbox live doesn't care what you use for an external IP. I've had dozens of xboxes on live simultaneously before.
I have heard of crap routers causing problems like that.
 
That makes no sense, xbox live doesn't care what you use for an external IP. I've had dozens of xboxes on live simultaneously before.
It was probably a configuration issue but once one of us connected the other was disconnected and vice versa, this was also 4-5 years ago so maybe it's no longer an issue now the extra IP fixed it back then.
 
Switch it is then. Unfortunately it means another wall wart to the problem.

The other router is a Mikrotik, but I have a good setup on it right now which I'm unwilling to mess with.

Thanks for the suggestions.

that's a shame, because doing dual wan IPs on mikrotik should be easy... why add complexity?
 
that's a shame, because doing dual wan IPs on mikrotik should be easy... why add complexity?

All the ports are maxed on it. I mean I really should just start over at this point... (tomorrow is another day :)
 
Back
Top