Confirmed: iPad 3 Has a 2048x1536 Retina Display

Holy bejesus, that's a lot of pixels. Good on them for pushing the tech.

The Pinto analogy doesn't work well. It's more like buying a Mercedes over buying a Lincoln. Both are luxury cars, but one has higher brand worth. So I wouldn't say "pay more for better things" is correct, it's about buying the brand and the recognition or the perceived value of that recognition that society has placed on that item.

We live in a society where we place a great deal of value in "brands". Whether justified or not (see Monster). Some people buy simply because of that perceived worth and status they gain (supposedly) with peers. This is also why Apple gets hated on a lot, because a lot of their more vocal fans are too wrapped up in the corporate koolaid to realize this. A fan is a fan, but I know from my experience is that Apple seems to attract (not all here) a lot of people who like to shove it down your throat about how awesome such-and-such is without knowing much about it or the competition.

Agreed. It's also a case of "It has more numbers I NEED IT".

bust out the magnifying glass !

really, the 1024x rez on the ipad is very comfortable to view.

Just a couple of questions:

- So everything current in iOS or whatever will just perfectly scale to the higher resolution?
- So the old notion of lower resolution video looking like crap on a higher res screen goes away because of: superior scaling? Or because the screen size is so small you're just adding so much pixel density the eye can't see it? Or some other reason? Just asking because I really don't know and I'm with others who have been wanting more res on PC monitors.

1) hypothetically, yes. since they are scaling up by exactly 2x on each axis, each pixel at the current res can be exactly replicated as 4 pixels of the same color at the new higher res. therefore everything that isnt redesigned for the higher density will look exactly the same as before. things that are redesigned will look twice as sharp though.

2) anything that ISNT an exact factor (1, 1/2) will still need to be upconverted which will still result in poor quality. try making 480, 720, or 1080 pixels fit evenly into 1536. the image must be stretched to fit, but not by doubling each pixel because that wouldnt go in evenly. instead, some pixels get doubled, some get put up once. or some get tripled while others get doubled. this results in a slightly fuzzy picture because its not scaled perfectly.

the more i write the less it seems to make sense so i'll leave it at that and hope its at least a little help.

There is no better forum for anti Apple fanboys than [h]. When Apple comes out with something that pushes other companies (this happens often actually), it is somehow bad because it came from Apple. There are a lot of topics that can't be discussed rationally around here and one of them is anything that involves Apple.

QFT ... it really is hilarious.

LoL...;) "confirmed" ? The gullibility of people is astounding. Whatever it is that these people have--it is *not* a functioning iPad of any description...;) Did you catch the extended screw holes at each corner? Wow--that ought to make the iPad crowd swoon! Heh:D

Let's review what we've learned from this "confirmation":

1) There's nothing anywhere on, or inside, this section of "screen"(?) that says "Apple"

2) Nothing "works" on this section of screen because there's nothing *inside* this section of screen--that either works or says "Apple" or "iPad3", etc.

3) The extended screw holes at each corner are very nice--classic iPad?--and wow--putting it under magnification--well, that just *proves* it's an iPad because we all know that nothing except iPad screens can be put under a magnifier

Unbelievable...:D This thing looks like a "hoax" if ever I've seen one--no doubt about it--if this is a "confirmed" iPad3 display--Apple's quality control has gone beyond bad...! The Foxconn workers are really pissed, is all I can say.

Just a couple of questions:

- So everything current in iOS or whatever will just perfectly scale to the higher resolution?
- So the old notion of lower resolution video looking like crap on a higher res screen goes away because of: superior scaling? Or because the screen size is so small you're just adding so much pixel density the eye can't see it? Or some other reason? Just asking because I really don't know and I'm with others who have been wanting more res on PC monitors.

It will probably be like it is currently with older iphone apps on the ipad. You can run them at native res, but it will only take a portion of the screen, or upscaled, but due to the slightly off resolution of the ipad it did hurt some of the visual quality. But since this is just a doubling of the Iphone's res of 640x960 they probably won't look that bad, kind of like how most old iphone apps are now on the current ipad.

In the end, the same thing that happened with apps after the 4 came out will happen here, developers will just release updates that have updated icons and can natively handle the new res soon after release.

--Not only is this particular "screen" an obvious hoax, but if people think Apple is going to throw 4G and a 2048x1536 display at their iPad3 batteries--they really need to develop their analytical powers somewhat.

Anyone know if Apple has a mode for visualy impaired people? Android seems to be totally lacking in that area.

You see all those low tech, non-touch screen, huge button phones marketed towards the disabled and elderly, and I've always though it's an area where modern 4"+ phone displays could really excell if they wanted to.

--Not only is this particular "screen" an obvious hoax, but if people think Apple is going to throw 4G and a 2048x1536 display at their iPad3 batteries--they really need to develop their analytical powers somewhat.

I'm normally pretty skeptical, especially when it comes to any rumors involving apple products, but this has a lot of credibility. Not only that but them adding a high resolution display to the ipad only makes sense so it's not something out of the realm of possibility. There were some 'leaks' months ago about the new battery they're using that was a pretty large upgrade over the current ones IIRC.

About a week ago, someone in the supply chain supposedly leaked a photo of the new iPad3 case. Take a close look at the hole locations and the machined recess (especially the one marked "D") for the display bracket on the case. It certainly seems like this 'leaked' display was made to fit it.

ipad_3_display_mr_ruler.jpg

WAHAO.jpg

I don't know about 4G though. I can see them sticking with 3G considering how spotty 4G still is.

Anyone know if Apple has a mode for visualy impaired people? Android seems to be totally lacking in that area.

You see all those low tech, non-touch screen, huge button phones marketed towards the disabled and elderly, and I've always though it's an area where modern 4"+ phone displays could really excell if they wanted to.

yeah, iOS has accessibility features built in, similar to windows (but for a touch screen obviously)

I could tell a major difference in the resolution between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4...it was double the resolution and PPI. I personally think it is going to look alot better at that resolution.

I think I'll stick with my ipad2 for a while. Need to demo the iPad 3 before upgrading. Plus I've heard that newer apple products keep their resale value pretty high compared to other counterparts?.

I'm normally pretty skeptical, especially when it comes to any rumors involving apple products, but this has a lot of credibility. Not only that but them adding a high resolution display to the ipad only makes sense so it's not something out of the realm of possibility. There were some 'leaks' months ago about the new battery they're using that was a pretty large upgrade over the current ones IIRC.

About a week ago, someone in the supply chain supposedly leaked a photo of the new iPad3 case. Take a close look at the hole locations and the machined recess (especially the one marked "D") for the display bracket on the case. It certainly seems like this 'leaked' display was made to fit it.

WAHAO.jpg

I don't know about 4G though. I can see them sticking with 3G considering how spotty 4G still is.

I really don't think it makes any sense at all frankly...;) The iPad, first and foremost, is a portable device, remember. When we start talking about true pixel resolutions of 2048x1536 in a 9.7" screen factor, we're headed away from portability and back towards the desktop. Up to now, every single person who has purchased an iPad1/2 has done so in the complete knowledge of its 1024x768 pixel resolution. For these portable device buyers, 2048x1536 true pixel resolution was never a consideration--battery life, product cost, etc., would all suffer in that scenario.

Most importantly--I guess people have forgotten about it--but it was actually *first rumored* that the iPad*2* would be a true pixel 2048x1536....;) As soon as that product was released @ 1024x768, the 2048x1536 rumor was moved back to iPad3 rumors...;) Pretty much the same day it was announced that the 2048x1536 iPad2 would never exist, IIRC.

As far as battery life goes--great--you get a breakthrough to extend it by 33%, lets say. What good is that if we double the screen resolution and in the process cut the improved battery life *in half*? Then--we've actually taken a step back in battery longevity. Next up to consider--have you thought about how much power it would required for a iPad3 gpu to actually push 2048x1536 *3d games*? In that case, you might well subdivide the extended battery life in half, yet again. Pretty soon you've got a scenario in which the iPad3 is grossly inferior to the iPad2 in terms of being portable. That's why I say it doesn't make sense for Apple to do that--not to mention the fact that a 9.7" 2048x1536 true pixel screen would be custom--for Apple (as I don't know of another one)--and would cost a pretty penny because of that--certainly a good deal more than a 9.7 1024x768 screen costs Apple.

Why not leave things at the *very popular 1024x768* but with ~33% more battery life than iPad2? Sure makes more sense to me hands down.

As far as "seeing the case" and now the screen--I'll just say again that *nothing* anywhere in evidence on these parts indicates the parts are made by Apple, and made by Apple for an iPad3. I'll just remind again that the 2048x1536 rumor started for iPad2--not iPad3--and was only shifted to iPad3 when iPad2 shipped @1024x768.

I do think it's possible for Apple to ship some sort of fake, pixel-doubled, software interpolated 2048x1536, which would contain only 1024x768 true pixels--yes, I think that is possible, certainly, as the overhead would be very small--and games might still default to 1024x768, which would ensure backwards compatibility with iPad1/2, etc.

Right now, I'm very skeptical--as I was when this rumor first surfaced for iPad2--and I was right, then...So, we'll see soon, I suppose...;)

I forsee ipad users having to get used to a new gesture. Every time they open a web page, they have to pinch zoom in. Apple will probably tout this as a new feature along the lines of it improves your finger dexterity or gives you exercise.

The only reason I'm still on an old core2 tabletPC is that the newer ones have the same (extremely low) screen resolution - 1200x800. I won't buy a device without an active digitizer or a full-featured desktop OS, but I hope this will spur the tabletPC OEMs to innovate.

I see a legitimate question being asked. WHY is that resolution necessary on a 10 inch screen. Sure we would all love higher res on big desktop monitors, playing games where you can, you know, actually adjust the resolution.

Playing iOS games that will be scaled means it will look almost no different than the 1024x768 screen. Movies/TV aren't distributed at higher than 1080p. Most websites are designed to run on widths well below 1080p. I just can't see, for a 10 inch tablet with applications that don't have adjustable settings, why that high of a resolution is remotely helpful. Hell, I thought the same thing when Asus announced the 1080p transformer prime. 720p seems perfectly adequate for a device that size, until mobile content changes to make higher res necessary.

And I will give you a legitimate answer. Text Clarify. The one remaining drawback of tablets compared to e-ink readers is the clarify of the text. Since the iphone 4 came out, the text is just as clear as the e-ink readers. Unfortunately, I still prefer to read books on my kindle compared to my iPAD 2 because the same can't be said for that. That is about to change.

Can you come back here on March 7th so we can tell you you need to develop your analytical powers some more when you are wrong? I think Apple is increasing the thickness of the device a bit to allow for a larger battery.

Just curious, why is 'Confirmed' used in the title when nothing has been confirmed?

We don't know if there was a measurement error or even if that's the exact screen Apple is using. Considering the article is using modifiers like 'should' and 'apparently', it would stand to reason that no, nothing has been confirmed about the screen. Because a confirmation would involve Apple confirming it.

Oh, tech journalism. You never cease to disappoint.

Apple didn't want to upgrade the screen. They would prefer people to keep buyingthe same thing at the same price as they reduce costs. However, they very much understand that our materialistic society always needs its "next fix" because the previous fix no longer gives the same buzz.

Even if apple does go to a Retina Screen..what is next? Seriously? The only way these mega companies stay in business is peddling goods you "really don't need" and giving upgrades that are sometimes good but usually marginal in reality.

Why would anyone think this news is for real? The iPhone5 rumor was out for months, and all that came out was the 4GS. The ipad3 news does not make sense because at this resolution, the battery life will be compromised. Also, will games have to be re-scaled for this new resolution? Isn't 3d gaming a "weakness" for apple (compared to pc/x86)? 3d on this resolution requires a powerful GPU, unless the GPU efficiency improved?

I hope this is the real deal, because this will push PC makers to rethink the desktop monitor resolution. Laptop makers can finally stop selling systems with x768 resolution screens.

Why would anyone think this news is for real? The iPhone5 rumor was out for months, and all that came out was the 4GS. The ipad3 news does not make sense because at this resolution, the battery life will be compromised. Also, will games have to be re-scaled for this new resolution? Isn't 3d gaming a "weakness" for apple (compared to pc/x86)? 3d on this resolution requires a powerful GPU, unless the GPU efficiency improved?

I hope this is the real deal, because this will push PC makers to rethink the desktop monitor resolution. Laptop makers can finally stop selling systems with x768 resolution screens.

1. There is no effing a way the iPad can play games at those resolutions unless the object detail is between crap and worse than crap. The fact that you need a 7970 to crush skyrim in "full glory" means that a "couple Watt" SoC isn't even going to come close. If you think so...man, have you drunk the kool-aid. However, if you think the current gen of console graphics is "good" and somehow the new tablet resolutions will make them great is even more funny.

2. Laptop makers DON'T WANT to upgrade their screen resolution..it costs more. Furthermore, enough analysis has been done that inthe 14"-15" range, for what people typically do...it doesn't help or add to enjoyment. The more an item costs, the less they sell. Sorry..that is a fact (well, except for people that will only buy apple products).

Sorry...high screen resolution will not cure cancer or bring about world peace. It will not make you smarter or some how "more enabled". It is purely a marketing need in order to make you spend money.

1. There is no effing a way the iPad can play games at those resolutions unless the object detail is between crap and worse than crap. The fact that you need a 7970 to crush skyrim in "full glory" means that a "couple Watt" SoC isn't even going to come close. If you think so...man, have you drunk the kool-aid. However, if you think the current gen of console graphics is "good" and somehow the new tablet resolutions will make them great is even more funny.

People said that iPhone 4 would have trouble at 960x480, it doesn't flinch at those resolutions playing games. Before that everyone said phones would *NEVER* be able to play good looking 3D games because it would kill the battery. SoCs are more powerful than people give them credit for, and its not like people will be playing Skyrim on the thing. Move forward people, not back.

2. Laptop makers DON'T WANT to upgrade their screen resolution..it costs more. Furthermore, enough analysis has been done that inthe 14"-15" range, for what people typically do...it doesn't help or add to enjoyment. The more an item costs, the less they sell. Sorry..that is a fact (well, except for people that will only buy apple products).

Well this is definitely true. Laptop resolutions definitely went to shit when laptops started getting cheap. Laptop screen resolution was prominently advertised in the past, and people would often pay for upgraded screen. Now it seems like no one care, they just was a screen that is XX inches across and is as cheap as possible. The "standard" resolution seems to be around 1280x800 to 1368x which is just crap. At some point Apple will fix this too, if they standardized high DPI displays, even the most average consumer will be able to see the different in a side by side comparison.

Sorry...high screen resolution will not cure cancer or bring about world peace. It will not make you smarter or some how "more enabled". It is purely a marketing need in order to make you spend money.

No, but it will certainly look better!

People that are pro-android will shrug this off as a "useless" feature.

However, when an android tablet finally has this resolution, they will be like "OMG MY WIDGITZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ARE AWESOME AT THIS SIZE"

If it is true I can tell you why it is going to be that resolution. As we all know by now 2048x1536 maintains the same 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPAD 1/2. Simply multiplying the 1024x768 display by a factor of 4. This also happens to be the lowest resolution keeping the exact ratio that will fit a 1080p movie (1980x1080). Apple will market the "first true full HD tablet", and they will be right. So the tablet will display nice movies, and really great pictures to show off to your friends and family, which it seems to me to be the main purpose of the machine anyway :D
Of course games or much of anything won't be run at the native rez, everything will just use seamless and effective scaling for complete compatibility with previous ipads.

hopefully this will make other companies drop their prices on high res screen.

I actually have to say kudos to apple this time, but I hate their false "retina display" advertising. we're not at that pixel density yet.

C

second thought - I wish they'd upgrade the damn resolution on their mbp - for people that actually need high res.....

C

All I know is that my iPhone 4S has a great screen. Better than my droid incredible was. And this is primarily due to the retina resolution. Text and procession should be the same, the pixels are just doubled, scaled up. That's my understanding anyway, I could be wrong.

I'm excited for the iPad 3, and I'm by no means only beholden to Apple products. I wish that Apple would put out an iPhone with a Verizon LTE chip, a bigger battery, and larger screen. But by no means do I want to give up the apps and the platform to gain those benefits... not yet anyway.

Are we really sure it's 10" only?
I have a feeling we are all passed the point where many think the tablet is the great mobile device. It's not. The Smart Phone is.
But the tablet has its niche for sure, and it aint in your pocket right?
So maybe Apple expands the iPAD concept by a series of larger iPAD's that dent the PC market. The quad core (yes just a marketing point in this case) and "True HD" branded iPAD-HD available in 12", 15" and17" size!!!
And possibly there will be the new 10" iPAD3, and it will maintain the standard rez, or maybe bump to 1280X1024 or such, and maintain its current market position in the mobile tablet market.
If it is only 10" though, and maintains the 4:3 1080P+ resolution that would be incredible for that size. Anyone know of one? Show me a 1080P 16:9 display (to make it easier, as you will never find a 4:3 one) that is anywhere near 10". And if you find one, make sure it is a touch screen model , very high quality that is also low power and bright, okay? Oh ya, and cheap!
If Apple release's such a 10" it would be quite impressive in two ways. It would cost a fortune and be awesome, or it would be pure crap. Apple doesn't release technical crap. Not going to happen. So.... expensive as hell, or much bigger?
Anyone for an iPOD Laplet?

WAHAO.jpg

Nice catch.

I was about 99% certain that iPad 2 would not be higher resolution, Apple tends to use screen parts at least 2 years before changing and the rumors essentially started as soon as the iP4 hit.

But this time, the leaks are much more significant, and competitors are already confirmed 1920x1200 tablets for this year, and hints that Samsung might release 2560x1600 tablet.

This time I am 99% certain the iPad 3 will have 2048x1536 screen.

This time I am 99% certain the iPad 3 will have 2048x1536 screen.

Considering that this rumor has been going on for almost 18 months and all of the industry insider reports and notes from our mothers that this even a surprise at this point.

I'm a resolution junkie so this is a great thing imho. Push the rest of the industry to put out high res displays, please!

I had a laptop with a 15" screen and 1600x1200 resolution over 10 years ago. About time we move off of the 1080p stagnation wagon.

People said that iPhone 4 would have trouble at 960x480, it doesn't flinch at those resolutions playing games. Before that everyone said phones would *NEVER* be able to play good looking 3D games because it would kill the battery. SoCs are more powerful than people give them credit for, and its not like people will be playing Skyrim on the thing. Move forward people, not back.

No, the SoCs are actually much slower than people give them credit for. Mobile games also have terrible graphics and can easily get away with rendering at a lower resolution than they display at (a trick consoles have been doing for years now that makes even more sense on mobile).

And for what it's worth, playing a 3D game on your phoen *does* kill the battery, and none have been good looking doing it :p

The iPad 3 having double the resolution is almost definitely true, though. We've already seen teasers of higher resolution tablets in the works - Asus was showing off a 1920x1200 10" tablet iirc, and that only had a Tegra 3 in it (the A5 has a considerably faster GPU than the Tegra 3)

pixel doubling! Probably will be the norm.

ewww... I highly doubt that. If you haven't seen native pre-'retina' apps running on a retina device, then I can understand why'd you'd draw that conclusion (it's REALLY ugly). But there's no way that Apple would approve that design. If it doesnt' have the raw horse power to push the extra pixels, then I really don't think Apple would waste their time adding a retina display to the iPad just yet.. it just wouldn't make any sense. Said apps would look like garbage.

Either they have a much more powerful GPU/SOC and battery to compensate for the high resolution display, or they're not going to use a 'retina' on the iPad 3

mzl.hwydruwc.png

Considering the announcment of the new PowerVR GPU, I'm willing to bet that the iPad3's using a much more powerful GPU than the iPad2 had.

You may want to learn the difference between resolution and graphical complexity. I very much understand that the retina display is a very good thing when it comes to reading text. If that was the primary reason why they were doing it..that would be fine and I would support it.

However, to somehow think that the current and even next gen of SoC's can drive a game in full HD with appropriate levels of detail (e.g not 128x128 textures or worse) and enough polygons/drawcalls even on par with 2 year old games (which they aren't) is a joke a best and complete lie at worst.

Back