Concerned about using an SSD over a mechanical HDD

Vistance

n00b
My current computer is still running on all mechanical platter drives - a 500 GB WD Black label, a 1 TB WD Black label and an older 320 GB WD Blue label. The problem is the Blue is starting to click and while still accessible, it's getting very slow. My boot drive is the 500 GB Black, the Blue is a secondary storage drive but was previously an OS drive years ago (XP is still installed on it but it is never booted into). So I'm ready to format the 320 several times, run a magnet over it, and physically break it (In the interest of safely destroying the data stored on it) and buying a new drive. My 500 GB drive has slowed to a crawl these days, or rather my Windows bootup is insanely slow and as you can see from my specs it really shouldn't be. I have to wait for a good 5 minutes to go from powered off to actually able to use the desktop. It's only about a 30-50 seconds to get to login screen but the login to desktop (usable is keyword for this) is about 4 minutes. Unresponsive to right clicks, icons populate terribly slowly.

I've done everything there is to be done, CCleaner, antivirus scans, malware scans, remove intense autostart applications, there's nothing left to do but format and reinstall to improve it at this point. This is why I'm contemplating an SSD for my main drive. I'm very concerned about SSDs though as I'm concerned of their reliability in comparison to mechanical drives. For example, my Blue drive is from I believe early/mid 2007 so I got a solid 5 years out of that drive and it still works today but it's randomly disappearing from my computer (even at the BIOS level) which makes me think the logic board might be doing something stupid too - but it's old and I've already pulled the relevant data I need off it to my not full yet 1 TB drive. My 500 GB is about 65% full if that gives any idea about why my performance is poor (it shouldn't). I tried a safe mode boot but it hung on the CLASSPNP or something like that (Pretty sure it was something with PNP in it).

Anyway, I was set to buy a Samsung 840 - because I was considering the 830 previously, but reviews have scared me away from the 840 and it's TLC. Please take note I am really in no way whatsoever well versed with the technical aspects of SSDs nor do I ever care to be past the amount needed to understand what I'm buying. All I want out of my hard drive is reliability and read/write times that aren't hideous. All the reviews never seem to truly bestow a sense of "Hey, you're just a standard PC user who plays video games and stuff - you would benefit most from high random read/writes more than sequential" because I just read about how the 840 would be poor for standard users because of the bad sequential. Maybe I'm just really uneducated on this but wouldn't the randoms be more important for a NORMAL home user who downloads and acquires files of varying random sizes?

I'm contemplating at this point the OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB (VTX4-25SAT3-128G) as it seems to offer good random speeds and reasonably decent other specifications. My serious concern is the degradation effect of SSDs. That when they get older they start to fail with little or no warning, they produce more errors simply transferring data, and begin to severely slow in read/write speeds. To me that's no better than a mechanical drive, except mechanical drives are cheaper and I'm far more comfortable with relying on them. I initially thought SSDs would be very reliable (And sometimes I wonder if high SSD sales prey on this general lack of research by a standard consumer) but it's sounding like SSDs have a set time they will basically "explode" if you will and cease to work.

There are still some old mechanical drives we have that are from throughout the '90s and those drives generally all still work. I'll agree to unreliability of some mechanical drives, I'll never touch anything Seagate as my only broken mechanical drives have been Seagates (This WD marks my first failure simply from regular use/age). I'd like the promised speeds of SSD, but I despise, loathe, and detest the degradation effect greatly. On my mechanical drives, I always chocked it up to Windows just being annoying like that and having to be periodically formatted and reinstalled to keep running fast. But with the SSDs it sounds like the more you use it the more it just permanently becomes slow with no way to fix the slow.

There may be a lot of wrong information here, but I've looked at a lot of SSD guides and reviews and I'm still highly uncertain about what to think on them. I'm not on the SSD bandwagon by a long shot, there is simply far too much uncertainty in my mind to go ahead and buy one but this is where I'd like some help to know about these things. Most of my games are on the 1 TB drive (Steam) and a very small number are on my main drive. I have all my documents and pictures on my main drive as well, and they're duplicated on the Blue drive. I have a few applications like Visual Studio, the full Office suite, Adobe CS3 suite, and various other utilities that I use that are also on the main drive if those are of any major consequence. I'm just afraid of all the writes wearing it out, one game I play generates replay files after every match (500-1,500 kb) so I fear of things like that being an issue for an SSD whereas it would not be for a mechanical drive (Simply slower read/write times and fragmentation over time). I'm afraid on an SSD of after 3-4 years of use the drive will be so painfully slow that it would need to be replaced. Can anyone tell me how much any of this is true? What are the actual real world effects from someone who has used one for a couple years and filled the drive up? All the benchmarks and reviews seem to make light of these issues and only care about how well they perform right now (and realistically they can't simulate years of read/writes on a new drive anyway).

I contemplated buying an SSD a few months ago when I bought the 1 TB to use as storage (I thought of buying an SSD for a main drive and using the 500 GB as storage) but I was still far too uncertain and uncomfortable with SSDs to buy one (Admittedly UPS borked my first 1 TB, but the second time around it was all good and my performance on this 1 TB is quite good - even if it's not up the standards some of you SSD people might be used to). At this point I'm still highly questioning how ready for standard adoption SSDs are and if their quirks like firmware updates, TRIM, garbage collection, all the various assorted luggage that comes with using them isn't just overwhelming and more troublesome than the standard old mechanical drive that just needs a good defrag every now and again.

So TL;DR version: How is the degradation of SSD in actual real-world usage for a standard desktop user, and how long can one expect an SSD to work compared to how long it will be fast. Also, is there ever a way to speed up an SSD that has many things on the drive (Formatting or some such)? Do SSDs when old enough/written to too much just suddenly die with no warning signs? If one were to simply put the OS on the SSD and write occasional documents and media (No DVDs - just random 3-150 MB videos) along with a small number of games would the SSD's performance ever degrade noticeably? How long would I probably get out of something like the OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB? Lastly, do SSDs that are "defective" in the sense produce random BSODs and errors along with crashes on a hardware level? This would be a huge concern for me as I don't need the hard drive to contribute to any system failures.

Last edited:
Holy shit, that's a lot of text. I'm not even going to pretend I read all that.
All I can say, since I don't know your actual point, is don't worry about using a SSD over a mechanical HDD.

That was sure a lot of text. After having read it all, it boils down to: you are worried that your drive won't perform as good and/or just fail without warning after some time. Well, the Samsung 840 Pro comes with a 5 year warranty, so you're safe with the failures at least for 5 years, and that's what your Blue drive gave you (still giving but starting to fail, right?).

As far as performance decreases, you just won't get down to HDD levels, SSDs are just too fast. So, on that field you're safe too. The only thing that matters now is not getting it too used up (keep it below 75-80% capacity) and you're good.

Hope to have helped in your decision.

Edit: Note that the 840 Pro does not use TLC. Also, I am assuming you regularly keep your important data backed up.

Last edited:
I've been running a ssd in my desktop which i run around the clock (currently 12,300 hours runtime) it has an ssd life score of 98% drive health and i havent had any performance degradation that i have noticed (real-world, i have no benchmark proof)

i've since purchased 3 other ssd's, so 1 256gb m4, 2x 120gb 520 series and 1 128gb 320 series. i have not had any blue screens on any of my drives

honestly the only problem you'll have switching to ssd is that you'll never want to use another mechanical drive (for non-storage purposes) the performance difference is huge

i'd recommend getting any 5 yr warrantied ssd, for piece of mind, and never look back

Any drive can fail full stop. I've personally seen a RAID5 SCSI array take out an email server (two drives failed in quick succession) for 7000 users.

So it doesn't matter what you get, be prepared with backups. So when a drive does go, it doesn't matter. Also backups can fail, so backup your backups for anything important to you.

Get an SSD, you'll love it! ;)

Last edited:
Buy a good SSD (OCZ isn't usually considered good). Samsung 830 is fine and cheap. Don't buy an expensive SSD if you have doubts, keep your money to buy a backup drive, and a backup of a backup.

Steer clear of OCZ. If you do encounter a drive failure, they are about the last company you want to be dealing with.

Samsung 830 or 840 Pro
Crucial M4
Plextor M5P (pro version)

...are a few I always recommend. There are quite a few others that are great drives, but I don't have any experience with them, such as Intel drives and some of the upper-end Corsair models.

Doh! :p

LBnwJ4Vl.jpg

Unbelievable and all your questions have been answered many times.

In short, take as chill pill, buy an SSD, and don't worry about it. :)

I have several ssd's from the original agility/vertex/solid days of ocz (then the came out with the 2, 3, and 4) and most of them are still working.

ON the other hand I have newer hard drives that are already dead.

Edit: Note that the 840 Pro does not use TLC. Also, I am assuming you regularly keep your important data backed up.
I had glanced over the review of the 840 Pro and read the in-depth review of the 840 so I presumed that the Pro used TLC as well. I really wanted to buy a Samsung since it has been praised for the software suite included. I was comfortable at $100, does the 840 Pro ever go on sale at places like Newegg or is $140 basically what I can expect to pay for it?

I did some reconsideration and for the most part I think I'm ok with an SSD now. My concern now is over capacity. Am I ok to put my documents and media files on the SSD or should I store my music, movies, pictures, documents on another drive? I've already figured all downloads will from now on go to secondary drives so as not to superfluously write to the drive. Let me ask one other thing, do those of you with an SSD practice anything special regarding the use of your drive to maintain the performance or do you generally just use it and use it as normal (With exception to things like downloads like I mentioned)? Would firmware updates be needed regularly or can you just run the same one and not update it? Like are firmware updates for performance increases or basically what you do when you encounter problems? Also do firmware updates wipe the contents of the drive?

Thanks for the information so far, just want to be sure before I make the plunge. I'm thinking about storing a complete backup of all the files from the 128 GB on my 500 GB once I format it and using the 500 GB for downloads and most standard things. Are any of my applications bad to put on the SSD, like the Adobe products, Office, Visual Studio, VM Ware or the like? These applications could greatly benefit from the SSD speed but I'm not sure if any of those write lots of files to the drive where it could cause a problem.

If you're concerned about capacity start with a 256 GB SSD. If I had to choose right now I'd choose a 840 Pro. Expect to pay +$200.

I had glanced over the review of the 840 Pro and read the in-depth review of the 840 so I presumed that the Pro used TLC as well. I really wanted to buy a Samsung since it has been praised for the software suite included. I was comfortable at $100, does the 840 Pro ever go on sale at places like Newegg or is $140 basically what I can expect to pay for it?

I have seen it on sale at Newegg a few days ago: $199 for the 256GB drive. Yes, unbelievable.

Thanks for the information so far, just want to be sure before I make the plunge. I'm thinking about storing a complete backup of all the files from the 128 GB on my 500 GB once I format it and using the 500 GB for downloads and most standard things. Are any of my applications bad to put on the SSD, like the Adobe products, Office, Visual Studio, VM Ware or the like? These applications could greatly benefit from the SSD speed but I'm not sure if any of those write lots of files to the drive where it could cause a problem.

Don't worry. I've used most of the products you listed above and I've treated my SSDs just like hard drives. I haven't had an SSD fail, but I'd imagine it would fail just like every HDD that has failed on me: dead is dead. I've never had any luck recovering anything from a HDD that is dying.

It sounds to me like the OP needs to roll back to using paper tape and punch holes to store data. It's the only way to ensure reliability. :p

SSDs don't suddenly or slowly start corrupting data as they age - if that happens then the unit was faulty to begin with.

Yes, unlike traditional platter based drives a solid state drive does have sort of a finite 'time of death' - meaning that once the write cycles are used up on the NAND the drive has reached the end of it's usable life. However in normal usage with an average SSD it would take you tens of years to reach that point - and by that time you would have already moved onto higher capacity storage medium of some sort. (Holographic storage FTW!)

In short, you worry too goddamned much. :D Buy a good reputable SSD (Samsung 840 Pro, Crucial M4, etc), use it, and enjoy it.

I don't think it's worrying too much, I have grown up my entire life with mechanical drives. I know their quirks and as could be expected I'm reluctant to leave my comfort zone without some confidence in the new technology. I was still running a CRT in 2006 (A 19" Viewsonic Graphic design monitor of some sort as I recall). I didn't buy LCDs right away because I hated the poor black levels, upon research I found it was TN panels that I wanted to avoid - so low and behold I found a used Samsung 244T some years ago for a great price all things considered and have been very happy with it for years (Admittedly it's starting to act up, but I think it just needs new caps on the power supply board - so a $20 fix). If you ask me, people are too ready to adopt every new thing that comes out without any consideration for its longevity which means when something comes out and flops you have a bunch of people who are ticked they spent a lot of money on something that no one wants anymore or wasn't that good (Here's looking at you tablets...mostly in the "Wow I didn't need to blow $500 on this toy" kind of way).

I'd love to buy a 256 GB SSD over a 128, but the cost there is simply too high for my comfort (Plus I'm not exactly rolling in dough, nor do I wish to spend what I've saved on a hard drive). Besides I know it won't be long before the 256 GB drives will be $150 and going on sale for $130 and 128's will be down to $80-100. This same principle has always kept me away from TOTL video cards too, I'm not paying top dollar for something that's going to be outdated and considerably cheaper in a short time just for bragging rights (Not saying this about the SSDs, but it is true for the video cards largely). I'm pretty set now on the 840 Pro 128 GB, but I'll keep an eye out until it goes on sale somewhere. Everything is still working fine as is and I don't need to rush out and buy it ASAP. Thanks again for the info.

Well I was still on a pair of enormous 22" CRTs two years ago, but that's because they were actually better than most LCDs. No hard drive can come close to the slowest decent SSD. I bought my first SSD before I bought my first LCD.

i built a new PC about 3 months or so ago and before that had another pc for 7 years. The thing that surprised me the most on the new hardware was how awesome the SSD was and how fast it made the OS boot up/photoshop (it starts in seconds).

also if you read reviews on SSDs you can see that they are getting more and more reliable as things go.

A SSD replacing a disk of spinning rust for the system drive (where the OS, swap file(s) & programs are installed)) is about the biggest performance boost to a system you can make. Keep those spinning (rusty!) platters for backups of personal data if you like.

The 840 Pro is about the #1 choice among affordable drives ($130 for 128GB size at Amazon). MLC memory, best performance (among multiple review sites), 5 year warranty.

The 840 (non-Pro) is more affordable. Uses less expensive TLC memory you shouldn't be afraid of. In Anandtech's "average usage" scenarios, they calculated it would last approx. 7 years. Samsung's drive controllers don't have a history of bugs & failure like Sandforce ones do. Middling performance, but better than the Crucial M4. 3 year warranty.

The M4 uses MLC memory like the 840 Pro (& a Marvell controller). But is considerably slower than either of the above (in relative terms; if you can notice it is another matter). 3 year warranty.

The 830 is discontinued; going to be problematic trying to find a new one.

For something that offers the most size for the money, I'd go with the 840 non-Pro. Keep backups of personal data and don't sweat it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have small SSD's for my OS drives on all my computers, never had a single issue.

Just make sure you get one big enough for your needs, you might think 60-90 is good for an OS.. sure initially but you leave no room to expand. I've regretted on several occasions getting a drive too small

That's why I got 256gb os drive. What's the point of an ssd if you don't keep your main programs on it. Between some games a play a lot and adobe suite,ect I have about 155gb free on my Samsung 830 256gb.

If you're not running a corporate server, you generally won't be writing more than 10GB a day to an SSD, and most home users do much, much less. At 10GB a day on a 128GB TLC SSD, it will take over 10 years to hit 1000 P/E cycles; on a 256GB TLC SSD, it'll take almost 25 years. On MLC SSDs with 3000 P/E cycles, you can triple those numbers.

How many hard drives do you own that are more than 10 years old? No, I see you already said your "old" HDD is 5 years old.

The estimates by the SSD makers as to how much data can be written to them before they fail (which is referred to as MWI, usually measured in terabytes) are very conservative minimums. SSDs can and do last much, much longer. There's a huge thread on xtremesystems where users are sacrificing new SSDs to endurance tests to see how much data can be written on them before they do in fact fail. The endurance past the MWI varies greatly, of course, but generally speaking you're looking at hundreds of terabytes, sometimes more than 1000, before they fail (not write cycles - terabytes!)

One spectacular Samsung 830 256GB did over 6,000 TB of writes before it failed. At 10 GB per day, that drive would have taken over 1,600 years to fail. Of course you can't expect this from every SSD, but they are not fragile butterflies that disintegrate after a few months.

TL:DR - don't worry about writing unnecessarily to an SSD. They can take it.

There's a huge thread on xtremesystems where users are sacrificing new SSDs to endurance tests to see how much data can be written on them before they do in fact fail. The endurance past the MWI varies greatly, of course, but generally speaking you're looking at hundreds of terabytes, sometimes more than 1000, before they fail (not write cycles - terabytes!)

That's a really freakin' sweet thread!

...and it makes me feel pretty good about my twin Crucial M4's :D

Don't let write endurance fool you into a false sense of security. SSD's are electronic components. They can die unexpectedly for any number of reasons other than flash failure, just like motherboards, graphics cards, etc. Take backups if you care about your data. The risk of drive failure will be lower than with a spinner but it is still non-zero.

First of all, i'll throw a mandatory "tl;dr"

As with any storage device, always expect the worst so the best thing to do is to have a good backup plan and have more than one copy of sensitive data in and out of the house.

A SSD replacing a disk of spinning rust for the system drive (where the OS, swap file(s) & programs are installed)) is about the biggest performance boost to a system you can make. Keep those spinning (rusty!) platters for backups of personal data if you like.

The 840 Pro is about the #1 choice among affordable drives ($130 for 128GB size at Amazon). MLC memory, best performance (among multiple review sites), 5 year warranty.

The 840 (non-Pro) is more affordable. Uses less expensive TLC memory you shouldn't be afraid of. In Anandtech's "average usage" scenarios, they calculated it would last approx. 7 years. Samsung's drive controllers don't have a history of bugs & failure like Sandforce ones do. Middling performance, but better than the Crucial M4. 3 year warranty.

The M4 uses MLC memory like the 840 Pro (& a Marvell controller). But is considerably slower than either of the above (in relative terms; if you can notice it is another matter). 3 year warranty.

The 830 is discontinued; going to be problematic trying to find a new one.

For something that offers the most size for the money, I'd go with the 840 non-Pro. Keep backups of personal data and don't sweat it.

The vast majority of an SSD's cost is in the NAND flash chips that make up the drive's storage capacity; the controller is relatively inexpensive, all things considered. With the express aim of reducing the cost of the 840 Series so that it can price-compete with a glut of SandForce drives, Samsung knows it must use cheaper NAND flash - which it manufacturers itself - and it achieves this by harnessing TLC-based memory instead of commonly-used MLC.There are at least two important downsides to the use of TLC NAND. The first is with endurance, with TLC having program-erase (P/E) longevity of around 1,000 cycles compared with MLC's 3,000 cycles or so. The fewer times you can erase a memory cell, the shorter its lifespan

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The vast majority of an SSD's cost is in the NAND flash chips that make up the drive's storage capacity; the controller is relatively inexpensive, all things considered. With the express aim of reducing the cost of the 840 Series so that it can price-compete with a glut of SandForce drives, Samsung knows it must use cheaper NAND flash - which it manufacturers itself - and it achieves this by harnessing TLC-based memory instead of commonly-used MLC.There are at least two important downsides to the use of TLC NAND. The first is with endurance, with TLC having program-erase (P/E) longevity of around 1,000 cycles compared with MLC's 3,000 cycles or so. The fewer times you can erase a memory cell, the shorter its lifespan

Did you know that Google makes plagiarism extremely easy to find, and that copying and pasting a paragraph from a review website kind of sticks out? You are busted:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/49301-samsung-ssd-840-series-250gb/

So I've been taking your suggestions to mind, I'm fine with the SSD thing now - I'm just trying to find a good price for the size/performance you get ratio. I was trying to find an 830 somewhere as that stress thread showing the 6.5 petabyte failure was very impressive, not to mention the 830 is generally near the top of most SSD benchmarks I see. That said I do want a bigger drive if it's within a reasonable price (to me). Newegg has the Intel 330 Maple Crest 180 GB for $159 which of course includes everything needed. While 256 GB would be nice, I'm fairly confident the bump from the 128 GB size to 180 GB would be sufficient to store all my software suites with room left over (128 GB might be as well, but I couldn't say how close to the limit it would take it - I'm thinking it might be 90-100 GB with everything installed).

Is there anything I should be wary of with this specific series of Intel drive? Someone mentioned this particular drive being $100 in a shell shocker, but that seems a bit far-fetched being it's regularly a $190 drive. I know Intel is known for making very reliable SSDs, is their software suite good as well? I've heard a lot of praise for Samsung Magician so those things combined make the Samsung a very easy choice for me - other than I can't find the 830 anywhere, don't want the regular 840, and don't want to pay the price for the 840 Pro.

Just one last question, do the benchmarks for SSDs really get into nitpick territory or are there some drastic differences? I see some of like the say 60-64 GB drives performing at the bottom of the pack (I know with SSDs the cost tends to associate with the price so the small drives are slower than the big ones) and I'm just curious if there're any caveats that really make one drive at say the 128 GB size way faster than another or if the're all very respectively close in real world performance (And it only looks like a big difference in benchmarks).

Don't let write endurance fool you into a false sense of security. SSD's are electronic components. They can die unexpectedly for any number of reasons other than flash failure, just like motherboards, graphics cards, etc. Take backups if you care about your data. The risk of drive failure will be lower than with a spinner but it is still non-zero.

They're not trying to give false sense of security they're trying to prevent false senses of insecurity.

Just buy an M4, it's the best bang for buck right now (and it means you can go a little bigger for the same budget). Unless you have a very specific use you will never notice the sequential writes over 200MB/s.

Whatever you get will blow you away.

I'm seeing an awfully lot of failed M4's. I'm just looking through reviews by owners of them on websites and I'm seeing mostly good but an unignorable amount of people who had them fail from 2 weeks in all the way up to just 6 months. One guy in fact said he bought 4 different SSDs from 4 different companies and each failed within 3 months. This is the kind of things that makes me really nervous. Why do some people have problems with these drives? Is it like motherboards, where everyone whines about something on them and knocks off points because it doesn't do some advanced feature the way they wanted? I know already to take motherboard reviews very lightly (I'm happy with my ASRock but it had a few negative reviews - I've had no problems out of it though).

These "SSDs fail real fast" kind of reviews make me want to buy the Intel, because I trust Intel technology quite a lot. Samsung apparently does something very right with SSDs so I'd say they're tied in terms of reliability (in my personal belief). Sorry, no deal on the M4. There are a LOT of reviews that say they die (I read a lot just between typing these two paragraphs), and I'm not a big fan of Crucial to start with. Wish I knew where I could buy a 256 GB Samsung 830, seems sold out everywhere trustworthy and anyone who still has it wants WAY too much for it. I'm not paying money for someone else's greed, I'll just go without. 840 Pro is too expensive, and I don't want to be the guinea pig with the 840's TLC - so I guess I'm set with the Intel unless I can find a better deal somewhere.

EDIT: Oh...I see what it is now. The Crucial M4 has a firmware update (Rather the lack of it) that causes those crashes, that's where the bad reviews are coming from. The 5000 hour counter. Which means most of the bad reviews didn't update the firmware and/or didn't figure out what was wrong. Hmm, that is still disconcerting but now I see the logic behind it. Surely Crucial has updated the firmware by now though haven't they? The M4 isn't exactly a new drive anymore. Still, the M4 doesn't look that cheap to me. I'm seeing $190 on Amazon for the 256 GB. I have a problem mentally paying $200 for a hard drive, I'm reminded of the old days when $200 was for some big hard drive like a 150 GB or something (Back when that was a real big and fancy new HD). Plus I really don't want to regret paying a high price for an SSD now when I know if I hold out the 256 GB sizes will end up at $150 on average and be far more acceptable. $160 is ok with me, but $190 is too close to $200 for me.

Last edited:
The 830 has been discontinued. Good luck on finding a deal on one.

I own 2 M4s, use another at work, and 2 of my friends have one each. The biggest issue has been keeping the FW up to date. Sometimes this isn't easy when the update tool refuses to work. Would I buy an M4 now? Probably not. I think it's too expensive considering the age. Maybe if the 512GB version drops closer to $250 than its current price.

^ Saying that the newest generation (Samsung 840, Crucial M500, OCZ Vector) bring very little to the table yet they come at a premium (second two anyway, 840's are a step backwards). The problems with the M4's was the early firmware, a new drive shouldn't have the same issues.

Over the years I've owned over a dozen hard drives (first was 1.2gb!) and quite a few died (mainly laptop drives, but a couple of 3.5"s). I'm now on my 3rd SSD and yet to experience a failure! The first Crucial SSD, no model just "64gb Solid State Disk". A 240gb OCZ Vertex2 which is still going (more luck than a testament to quality), and very recently a 256gb Vertex4. I'm sure an SSD will fail at some point, but right now I prefer them to traditional drives. Anything I care about is backed up multiple times.

I'm curious because this has still not been answered - when you update firmware of an SSD are all the drive contents wiped or are they left intact? Point well considered on the M4 - being from 2011 it did seem very old but the performance still looked ok. At least in this case the new Samsung 840 does not have my confidence at all (The Pro does, but the price is far too high for me).

When you update the firmware there is a real risk of losing the data should anything go wrong (same with any drive). A new drive should have the lastest firmware (my V4 did) so you shouldn't need to flash it anyway.

Oh Visual Studio and VM's run so much better using SSD's, infact it's painful to go back.

At least in this case the new Samsung 840 does not have my confidence at all (The Pro does, but the price is far too high for me).

It depends on the workload. Look at the endurance testing linked earlier.

Oh Visual Studio and VM's run so much better using SSD's, infact it's painful to go back.

Same here. The best part is being able to boot multiple VMs with little to no perceived performance difference. If I need to do test builds on my laptop I can boot multiple VMs and build all at once.

Back