• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer Problem

devarinti

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
74
Hey guys,

I got an old Dell Optiplex GX270 I believe. Its got Windows XP Pro and a P4 processor and 512 MB ram. Anyway, the problem is that the internet on the damn thing won't work. It was working perfectly fine up until about a month ago and it just up and quit for no reason whatsoever one fine day. The thing is I made no specific changes to it or anything. The computer says that it is connected to an internet connection and it is sending and receiving although the receiving is much lesser than the sending. But when I go to IE or Google Chrome or Firefox, it says cannot connect to the network.

Here comes the weird part though, when I turn it onto safe mode with networking everything works out fine. I've tried reinstalling drivers, tried cleaning registry, tried checking for LSPs but all of them are Microsoft Corp. LSPs and no malware or firewall blocking. Matter of fact, I turned off the firewall. I don't understand why it won't work in normal mode but works fine in safe mode with networking. Kinda weird.

So, any suggestions?? I was thinking just backup my stuff, reformat the harddrive, and reinstall windows xp. Will that likely fix it with a fresh install or no? I'm guessing fresh install is bound to fix it but any other things I can do to avoid the hassle and just get it to work??

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys.
 
Odd that it only works in Safe Mode. Before going thru with a format/re-install, might try using netsh to clear the TCP/IP stack. At a command prompt, type the following:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

and then reboot. If that doesn't work, there's an app called Winsock XP Fix (link) that I've used once or twice in the past that fixed similar issues.

If neither of those work, it'd probably be quicker to format/re-install than to continue tweaking with it.
 
Or system restore to a pre-screw-up date.

Dude I tried system restore to like two months ago and I guess technically it worked. It solved that problem but created an infinite number of other problems. System restore made the internet work but everything on the computer, every program stopped working. If I clicked anything it'd go to open with and give me a list of things. I checked the target on every program and the target was set correctly but it just didn't work, nothing worked. I tried to rerun system restore but it did that with system restore too. I ended up just reinstalling windows xp and wiping the harddrive because that frustrated me. Everything seems to be working now.

Btw does anyone here know of any good Windows XP Pro torrents. I've a key but I need a torrent. Maybe you guys aren't allowed to say it here and if you aren't I understand. Sorry for putting that up.
 
Back
Top