Computer-Game Counterfeiter Sentenced

There is much truth in this. Between WoW, work, and my education, I simply don't have time to play any other games.

Well I think he means the business design of WoW minimizes piracy. You can copy the game all day long and install it in on 100 computers...and Blizz is even open about that...there is absolutly no copy restrictions placed on the game data. Its your account that is generating them money.

Well I think he means the business design of WoW minimizes piracy. You can copy the game all day long and install it in on 100 computers...and Blizz is even open about that...there is absolutly no copy restrictions placed on the game data. Its your account that is generating them money.

Private servers... ever played on one? Level 255 in a couple days, custom weapons and mounts. Just not that many other players, but still an entire game if you find the right free server.

Not legal in all countries of course, but I quit playing that game.... a not-so-good waste of time game to me.

and you wonder why their is crime in the states! well someoned just lost everything, imagine if someoned took everything away from you? its sickening. Only those who commits crime like killing should be sentence to 1 year+. Why not give him a fine, 1 day in prison and let him know that you are not allowed to do that, kinda a first warning, then the kid might stop and be better next time, give him a chance, not right away punishment. The law is so ridiculous strict.

pwnt much? I wonder if it's the same guy that sold me a counterfeit copy of Bridge Commander. The game worked wonderfully, but it was obviously an unauthorized copy; the box art was low resolution and scaled poorly; the artwork printed on the CD was the same low resolution, poor quality, incorrectly scaled artwork; the content on the CD included the base game AND a community mod pack.

In reported the dude to ebay, Activision, and the modders, but the only group that responded with something other than a canned response was the modders. Game works fine though. :)

Why are you trying to make this about me? The fucker shouldn't be selling counterfeit software in the first place. Ebay should suspend him. Activision should send him a C&D. I didn't care enough to follow up, but the guy shouldn't be selling that shit. It was probably a seller in Hong Kong or Singapore for all I know, maybe they couldn't get him.

The game itself was clean, no detectable malware, so I played it. I don't think I asked for my money back. What were my alternatives? Find a legit copy and dump another $10 or more? Download the game illegally? The seller fucked up, not me.

Option #1 for $10, Alex!!!!

You described you knew it wasn't a legit copy. If you keep it/use it .. well... just look
up the laws in your state. Theft by receiving (and using after you knew it was not legit) comes to mind.

I agree with all of you people that do this shit for profit deserve to be booked.

What I don't understand is you know what you are doing is illegal you will get caught eventually take some of that money and move it out of the country, Stay in an apartment don't buy a house and use public transit. Then when you get booked there is no car or house to take just the what you have on you. Then when you come out of jail get the fuck out of the country and go enjoy the money you stashed away.

Makes more sense than staying in the country to they take everything and can trace it all back to you!

Criminal minds think alike..... but I'd just avoid being one in the first place.

Reality is ... unless someone has licensed their product as "free for personal use", you
usually have to pay for it .... Just because a stolen item is not resold doesn't change the fact
that a theft has occurred.

Option #1 for $10, Alex!!!!

You described you knew it wasn't a legit copy. If you keep it/use it .. well... just look
up the laws in your state. Theft by receiving (and using after you knew it was not legit) comes to mind

I bought it maybe 4 or 5 years ago; looking around now it seems like $10 was a rough estimate. I'd have to pay anywhere between $20-$50 for a (hopefully) legit copy of BC now.

It's not theft, it's copyright infringement. And I purchased the item in *good faith* that I'd get a legitimate copy.

How can you tell software sold on ebay is counterfeit?

It's being sold on ebay :D

I have had no end of problems with that site. Paying slightly cheaper than RRP both times it's been counterfeit and i've had to report and settle. For hardware you know their going to take your money or they are going to give you something not as described. No more ebay for hard/software. For everything else its fine, just the computer related components part is full of criminals.

Private servers... ever played on one? Level 255 in a couple days, custom weapons and mounts. Just not that many other players, but still an entire game if you find the right free server.

Not legal in all countries of course, but I quit playing that game.... a not-so-good waste of time game to me.

I did originally have something about private servers in my post, but then deleted it. Basically private servers, while technically again the EULA, are not a strain to Blizzard. They don't affect the legitimate paying customers and they are their own server so there is no bandwidth loss to Blizz. The people that hack the client to do stuff in the commerical servers, yes that is a problem, but I don't think anyone in the community gives a shit about some custom server where you have 11 million hit points.

I did originally have something about private servers in my post, but then deleted it. Basically private servers, while technically again the EULA, are not a strain to Blizzard. They don't affect the legitimate paying customers and they are their own server so there is no bandwidth loss to Blizz. The people that hack the client to do stuff in the commerical servers, yes that is a problem, but I don't think anyone in the community gives a shit about some custom server where you have 11 million hit points.

Well each server has different setups and zones/weapons/levels/etc... the admin of the private servers sets it up. The one I went to had ALL these crazy unseen monsters (truly monster in size) and you could get any mount you wanted, any weapon with the sweetest of glowy/fire effects you wanted. And it would still be fun even at level 255 since you could still dual people (and the custom weapons (with customs stats) made one person better at one thing than the next persons when you dualled so it wasn't just owning it all)

And the monsters were reprogrammed with a shit ton of HP so even a group of 255s would take a huge amount of effort and time.

haha, i guess i think differently than others.

Rather than buying $7 meal outside/at fastfood (yes i do but not like many of them do) i can save that money (takes honestly 10-20 min to make good home cook meal) and buy original as walmart have most dvds for $10 and buy game online (except ebay) as they are nearly half price without tax. i haven't played game in last year and half and my music comes from DVD (yes from DVD i buy) if you calculate you can get many dvds and stuff with staying healthy.

Rather than buying $7 meal outside/at fastfood (yes i do but not like many of them do) i can save that money (takes honestly 10-20 min to make good home cook meal) and buy original as walmart have most dvds for $10 and buy game online (except ebay) as they are nearly half price without tax. i haven't played game in last year and half and my music comes from DVD (yes from DVD i buy) if you calculate you can get many dvds and stuff with staying healthy.

Too bad that kind of "more than 5 seconds of thinking" logic is not used too often in today's society.... fast, stupid, quick and easy is how most people like their life.

While most of my meals are home cooked... I do buy outside, a different flavor goes a long way to keep you eating the stuff you have at home.

Gotta agree about games online... it's rare that I buy them in stores. Not worth it.

Back