Computer finalized! "For the [H]orde" Boxen Giveaway!

Wow, those are scary temps! I'm' such a wuss that I keep folding1 clocked at only 3.46ghz just to keep temps in the mid 60's. How much vcore are you running out of curiosity? My 3.46ghz is at 1.2685volts which is pretty good considering that 1.25 or something like that is stock.

You are a wuss. :p j/k
It is very easy to get that 980x overclocked to 4.0. I'm running my vcore at 1.325 and temps are just over 70c. It does help to have that beast of an air cooler too.:cool:

Wow, those are scary temps! I'm' such a wuss that I keep folding1 clocked at only 3.46ghz just to keep temps in the mid 60's. How much vcore are you running out of curiosity? My 3.46ghz is at 1.2685volts which is pretty good considering that 1.25 or something like that is stock.
Trying to keep your temps below 70C is a complete waste of time and effort. Worry about keeping it under 100C and just overclock the thing as high as you can.

This is what I'm going to do.

I'm going to give the new owner the option of whatever they want.

If you want temp below 70, set blk to ???, your O/C will be ?.??Ghz.
If you want temp below 80, set blk to ???, your O/C will be ?.??Ghz.
If you want temp below 90, set blk to ???, your O/C will be ?.??Ghz.

This is what I'm going to do.

I'm going to give the new owner the option of whatever they want.

If you want temp below 70, set blk to ???, your O/C will be ?.??Ghz.
If you want temp below 80, set blk to ???, your O/C will be ?.??Ghz.
If you want temp below 90, set blk to ???, your O/C will be ?.??Ghz.
vcore will probably be the primary driver of temps

I have a pretty nice fan at work. The A/C went wacky inside the scanner room the other day and I had to pull out the fan to cool things down.

photo0110.jpg

ive got that same fan!!!!....though it cools me down at night ;P

I don't know how you make deadline. :eek: 70s are fine. 80s, eh, I'd be a little worried but still probably ok (if we're talking 80-85). 85+ I would not go there myself personally, I would downclock, box fan it, or buy a new cooler.

The only bigadv's that make me slightly nervous are the 2684's as that runs me right against the deadline. With a TPF of 52 minutes, I finish at 3.7 days, which is just under the 4 day deadline. With any other bigadv work unit, I have no problems. I get TPF's of 36 minutes on the 2682's, and 39 minutes on the 2685 and 2686's.

You are a wuss. :p j/k
It is very easy to get that 980x overclocked to 4.0. I'm running my vcore at 1.325 and temps are just over 70c. It does help to have that beast of an air cooler too.:cool:

Yeah, I did have it clocked at 4.1ghz for a short period of time with a vcore somewhere in between 1.33 or 1.35. I just didn't like the temps as it was hitting the upper 70's and low 80's. At least for now, i'm going to keep it running it at the highest overclock possible on stock voltage, which appears to be 3.6ghz(133x27). Temps are pretty good as they are in the mid 60's during the night and upper 60's during the day when the sun really heats up the room.

at stock speeds?

No, CPU clocked at 3.9GHz and the GTX shaders are at 1577MHz.

Right now folding a 2692 -bigadv and a P6600 on the GTX, were pulling 38,595 PPD.

Capture1.png

Also an edit on the RAM. The OCZ wasn't O/Cing very well, 3.6GHz.
So I picked up some brand new Corsair TR3X3G1333C9 XMS3 3 GB 3 x 1 GB PC3-10666, 3.9GHz.
I know it's 3 gigs instead of 6 gigs, but it is O/Cing great and the PPD was more then I was expecting.

If someone has an extra 6 gigs they would like to donate.......
:D:D

Last edited:
very nice there.....didnt think an OC like that would have a relatively low power draw, especially with a 275. very nice indeed

quick question, bit off topic, what is that you have doing your folding there? ive just got a standard smp client for my machines(PM if ya dont want to clutter the thread, if possible)

quick question, bit off topic, what is that you have doing your folding there? ive just got a standard smp client for my machines(PM if ya dont want to clutter the thread, if possible)
I don't really understand your question, but if you're asking what client he's using then it's just the SMP client with the -bigadv option. It's all explained in my guide, so have a look if you have a fast enough system and you want to get in on it.

i'm refering to HFM.NET, not really sure what it is lol, ill check your guide again(dont remember seeing the HFM part, mighta missed it)

I suggested using HFM to monitor F@H, though I didn't include instructions on setting it up. If there is demand for a guide on doing that then I would consider writing one.

:( 280k or so for me.....meh your i7 at 4.2 must be why your beating my PII X6 at 3.2 .......if only it weren't summer here, i'd be at 4.0!!!!

:( 280k or so for me.....meh your i7 at 4.2 must be why your beating my PII X6 at 3.2 .......if only it weren't summer here, i'd be at 4.0!!!!

He is beating your X6(and mine @ 4.1Ghz) because he is able to run -bigadv WU's..they give you a shitload of points and we aren't able to run them because we "only" have 6 cores, where as the i7 has 8 threads...:rolleyes:

I was talking about since I started this giveaway :)

in total I have 758,617, since Dec of 2006 so I've been lacking in the big picture

same, i started(folding) 2 weeks or so before the announcement of this giveaway

Question : are you marked as active if you seen as folding for a day and not turned in a project or do you need a project turned in a day to be marked as active?

My four year old Core 2 is showing it's age... this student really need a new pc!

you have to actively be doing this.....some of the WU's that the guys with 980x's get take them two days(the -bigadv) i believe, so i would think you are in the clear...

you have to actively be doing this.....some of the WU's that the guys with 980x's get take them two days(the -bigadv) i believe, so i would think you are in the clear...

yes, bigadv is taken into consideration

Lost a bigadv unit to a Stanford Server bug, luckly I have my GPU going too, so other than the lack of my 72k points for it, I still look 'active'... Otherwise I would have had a 4-5 day lapse (~2days first unit that failed then another ~2days for the next bigadv)

You guys are signing up in the wrong thread again :)

The correct thread for signup is stickied at the top.

Hello,

I searched for an answer, but couldn't find one anywhere.

Is this giveaway only open to American residents, or can Canadians enter too?

Thanks.

Even though i'm in Florida....i want to answer that question.....the Edmonton Oilers :p

Donator Gan0l3
Team [H]ardOCP (33)
Score 40359 (certificate)
Donator Rank 141374 of 1449900
WU 146 (certificate)

I have question for you folding experts. Am I better using the GPU client or the SMP client for my laptop in my sig? It has a Core i5 and Radeon 5650 in it. Thanks.

I have question for you folding experts. Am I better using the GPU client or the SMP client for my laptop in my sig? It has a Core i5 and Radeon 5650 in it. Thanks.

CPU only.

I would also keep an eye on temps. Laptops are not normaly built to handle 100% cpu 24/7.

I might suggest when setting up the SMP client setting it to 90% cpu if temps are high.

CPU only.

I would also keep an eye on temps. Laptops are not normaly built to handle 100% cpu 24/7.

I might suggest when setting up the SMP client setting it to 90% cpu if temps are high.
meh

the c2d T9300 in my asus laptop has been over 100c for extended periods of time :)

Do you heat your Ramen Noodles on your keyboard?
no, but the exhaust from the fan is warm enough to keep my coffee somewhat warm if I set a mug right next to it :)

My theory is, laptops ARE built for worst case scenarios. So, I let er rip. If not, I (had) a 2 year warranty. Now that the 2 years is up, I'm ready to upgrade anyway.

Back