Command and Conquer remastered

Despite what I said early in the thread, I saw this on steam yesterday, got super excited, and bought it. Been playing Red Alert since. It is the original game. Almost to a T. Fucking amazing and fun and awesome. Its the original Red Alert....... with prettier graphics! And you can swap between graphics at will, so you can even see the old sprites and stuff! Its so cool!

This is a game all PC RTS players **must** have in their library. If you havent played the original C&C or Red Alert, you cant claim to be an RTS fan IMO. They are the greatest of the genre by a massive margin, even after 20+ years.
Yes, nostalgia factor and all that, but I'm still disappointed.
I expected it to be up to date, better ai, better path finding, and some re-balancing. This way no new player will want to play it, it just doesn't hold up to modern standards.

You forgot to add: get off my lawn!

Everyone wanted just the game updated for graphics and resolutions. The pathfinding sucks, which I wouldn't mind fixed, but as soon as they fix that, you know they are going to start tinkering around and fucking with shit they shouldn't.

Are the graphics actually improved? From that launch trailer video, they look about the same to me.

I don't speak for everyone, but all I wanted was nostalgia with better graphics as mentioned above. Reviewers weren't blinded by it as that is the point of the release. If they had had changed the AI, updated pathfinding and mechanics then it wouldn't be the game I remembered and I would have been pissed off.

As it stands it's the game I remember from long ago with good graphics, great soundtrack and online play. Can't go wrong with that.
So you'd be pissed if they fixed any of the known bugs of the game?

X - Doubt

So.... what I read is, you did no research on what this was before purchasing?
I read user reviews and all were raving on how this was the next best thing since sliced bread. None that I read specifically mentioned that they even left all bugs in. But I'll make sure my review will convey that information.

I knew that in theory it was the exact same game with updated graphics.... I just didnt believe it. You thought it was a different game than it is?
I didn't believe it either. I actually hoped they'd at worst have fixed the most annoying bugs, at best completely rewritten the game.

How is this anyone elses fault but yours? You have absolutely no right to complain that the game is **EXACTLY** as its advertised and publicized as being..... a graphical update. Its not a cash grab, the reviews arent blinded by nostalgia - the reviewers arent retarded, did research before buying, and knew the game was the same goddamn game it has been since the 90s. Nowhere is it claimed to be anything else.
You done venting? Why are you so upset that I expected more? Is that not allowed? Or am I not allowed to be disappointed? LOL.
I'm sorry but when they said it is remastered in 4K, I didn't think literally nothing else is changed. I didn't think they dare release a 4k skin for a 25 year old game for €20. Because that's what this is, isn't it?

So you'd be pissed if they fixed any of the known bugs of the game?

X - Doubt

The 'bugs' didn't affect me when I first played the game and aren't affecting me now. *Shrug*

Everyone wanted just the game updated for graphics and resolutions.
I'm not everyone.

The pathfinding sucks, which I wouldn't mind fixed, but as soon as they fix that, you know they are going to start tinkering around and fucking with shit they shouldn't.
Sunken cost fallacy. You could've applied the same logic to the graphics, if that wasn't upated: "oh the graphics sucks in 2020, which I wouldn't mind fixed, but as soon as they fix that, they are going to start tinkering and fucking around with shit they shouldn't!

Y - Extra Doubt.

I don't know what point your cute little replies are trying to get at but I don't follow. Sorry you don't enjoy the game, but I do and don't really see why you are so angry with it. Hopefully you research your purchases better in the future.

You done venting? Why are you so upset that I expected more? Is that not allowed? Or am I not allowed to be disappointed? LOL.
I'm sorry but when they said it is remastered in 4K, I didn't think literally nothing else is changed. I didn't think they dare release a 4k skin for a 25 year old game for €20. Because that's what this is, isn't it?

So again, you expected the game to be what it is marketed as not being? No, you arent allowed to expect more, as they have stated EXACTLY what it is. What the hell is that? Thats like buying a carton of eggs that says 12 eggs, getting home, and being pissed that it doesnt have bread as well.

I enjoyed c&c years ago, but modern path finding (al la SC2/WC3 remastered) is something that I would really miss in this release.

I kinda wish there was a new RTS that was similar to C&C

Can you buy the updated soundtrack somewhere? Or any linux iso's of it available?

So C/C was the 2nd game I ever played on PC, first was mechwarrior. I gotta ride the fence on this one. On one hand, this is one of the greatest remakes ever in that it's true to form, priced right, and shows love to the original. On the other hand, it's greatest asset is also it's biggest weakness. So many times last night I was like, "WTF?, where did those enemy units come from!?". I ended up rage quitting and thinking "jeez I'm kinda glad we moved on from this". I'll play again cuz it's fucking rad though. The music is off the chain. If you're an old timer, just get this one. New school dudes that want to know what it was like in the early days, get this one. New school dudes looking for a good RTS, pass all the way, it's not gonna be a fun time.

Can you buy the updated soundtrack somewhere? Or any linux iso's of it available?
Google music has the ost. Dunno if its the same as on this game, but it's different from the music that was on the DOS/CDROM version in that there are voices dubbed onto the tracks, and maybe some other differences I haven't noticed. Supposedly the unvoiced versions were lost.

Really enjoying the game. Played a little bit of CnC story, and CnC and Red Alert comp stomp online. Red Alert AI is more aggressive and better at building an army than CnC. Got owned with hard AI and even lost a game with medium AI. Managed to defeat 2 medium AI in a comp stomp but it was a challenge.

Last edited:
I don't know what point your cute little replies are trying to get at but I don't follow. Sorry you don't enjoy the game, but I do and don't really see why you are so angry with it. Hopefully you research your purchases better in the future.
Oh, don't play dumb. I mean exactly what I wrote. I doubt none of the bugs in the original game ever affected him, and I doubt they don't affect him now. He's just saying that so he doesn't have to admit to being wrong.

Also mr strawman, Where did I mention I don't enjoy the game? I said I expected more from it. Again: Is that not allowed? Am I not allowed to be objectively judging the game, lest I hurt some feelings?

So again, you expected the game to be what it is marketed as not being? No, you arent allowed to expect more, as they have stated EXACTLY what it is. What the hell is that? Thats like buying a carton of eggs that says 12 eggs, getting home, and being pissed that it doesnt have bread as well.
You said it yourself, you didn't expect it to be exactly the same either. The only difference is that you hoped it will be exactly the same, while I hoped it won't be exactly the same. So don't act like I'm the odd one out.

Oh, don't play dumb. I mean exactly what I wrote. I doubt none of the bugs in the original game ever affected him, and I doubt they don't affect him now. He's just saying that so he doesn't have to admit to being wrong.

Also mr strawman, Where did I mention I don't enjoy the game? I said I expected more from it. Again: Is that not allowed? Am I not allowed to be objectively judging the game, lest I hurt some feelings?

You said you were disappointed, the pathfinding sucks and that everyone who gave it good reviews was blinded by nostalgia... So make your own conclusions based on those comments.

It's just a simple remaster, you are allowed to voice your opinion and I'm allowed to say you expected too much and should just take a good remaster at face value. I enjoy it for the nostalgia factor and that's about it. I didn't want it to be the modern interpretation of C&C that you were expecting as I don't play modern RTS. I wanted a blast from the past and got it and am happy.

Back