Command and Conquer remastered

Really looking forward to this. Not pre-ordering but will be a day 1 or day 2 purchase as long as the reviews show that it's a decent release. From what I'v heard it seems like it should be great, but I'v been burned in the past.

Release date is this Friday for anyone who forgot. Along with this bump comes something spicy.

EA has released the source code on Github under the GPL v3.0 license. It only comes with a Microsoft .sln, though (no MAKE file). Good thing Visual Studio is free nowadays.

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/
On the bright side, it could maybe be used as a reference to help finish the cnc mod in openra. On the nod so bright side, it probably wont.

So fired up for this. It was the first PC game I ever played. Its probably one of the reasons I had to transfer after my freshmen year in college.

I am so excited. As long they did not screw it up will be buying tomorrow. Does this also come with red alert as well?

I am so excited. As long they did not screw it up will be buying tomorrow. Does this also come with red alert as well?
It comes with both Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert. It also comes with all 3 expansions (Covert Operations, Counterstrike, The Aftermath).

1591365192891.png

hmmmm might have to grab this for the member berries. cheap too! only $26CAN.

looks like i have to buy it as well :) figured steam a better way than buggy origin

Last edited:
I played a few missions today and am completely satisfied. They even threw in the install screen that instantly hit me with nostalgia. The game plays like I remembered and I have no complaints.

I played a few missions today and am completely satisfied. They even threw in the install screen that instantly hit me with nostalgia. The game plays like I remembered and I have no complaints.

Awesome, Good to hear! purchasing as I speak.

I bought it just to support Petroglyph, but i'm far more interested in playing RA2/Yuris.

Bought it but I'm still at work. Great to know it's decent. Looking forward to play over the weekend.

From a guy who has loved blizz games more than EA's, it's very interesting how this became a day 0 purchase for me while War3 refunded was not.

The AI is retarded and still cheats like
Meh, I had hoped they'd at least address the terrible pathfinding. You know when one unit walks through a bridge which causes all the rest of your units to turn back to go on a 3/4 map detour. All the modern ui amenities are worthless since you still have to micro manage every unit one by one.

Despite what I said early in the thread, I saw this on steam yesterday, got super excited, and bought it. Been playing Red Alert since. It is the original game. Almost to a T. Fucking amazing and fun and awesome. Its the original Red Alert....... with prettier graphics! And you can swap between graphics at will, so you can even see the old sprites and stuff! Its so cool!

This is a game all PC RTS players **must** have in their library. If you havent played the original C&C or Red Alert, you cant claim to be an RTS fan IMO. They are the greatest of the genre by a massive margin, even after 20+ years.

Meh, I had hoped they'd at least address the terrible pathfinding. You know when one unit walks through a bridge which causes all the rest of your units to turn back to go on a 3/4 map detour. All the modern ui amenities are worthless since you still have to micro manage every unit one by one.
Yes, it’s a classic RTS. Micro is a thing.

Yes, it’s a classic RTS. Micro is a thing.
Yes, nostalgia factor and all that, but I'm still disappointed.
I expected it to be up to date, better ai, better path finding, and some re-balancing. This way no new player will want to play it, it just doesn't hold up to modern standards.

This is a game all PC RTS players **must** have in their library. If you havent played the original C&C or Red Alert, you cant claim to be an RTS fan IMO. They are the greatest of the genre by a massive margin, even after 20+ years.
You forgot to add: get off my lawn!

I expected it to be up to date, better ai, better path finding, and some re-balancing. This way no new player will want to play it, it just doesn't hold up to modern standards.

Yeah, but unfortunately, the game was designed around that broken ai. You'd have to rewrite and playtest the entire game to make sure it worked right in every situation, which would cost a lot. If you didn't, and one level was broken, the game might be unbeatable–then nobody would want to play it.

The only expectation was 4K graphics, and working online multiplayer without hassle.

This was a remaster, not a reimagining. People would have been seriously pissed if they changed the AI, and how the micro is done. C&C fans only wanted updated graphics and a game that worked without issue on Windows 10. That’s it. Anything else would have pissed more people off.

Yeah, but unfortunately, the game was designed around that broken ai. You'd have to rewrite and playtest the entire game to make sure it worked right in every situation, which would cost a lot. If you didn't, and one level was broken, the game might be unbeatable–then nobody would want to play it.
The ai is not broken, just designed to cheat, they didn't even have to change the enemy ai to fix pathfinding for your units.
Besides it's not a 300 hour RPG, playtesting wouldn't cost much, there aren't that many variables and mechanics.
Which means this is just a low effort cash grab, and I took the bait.
Reviews were favorable, but now I see that most were too blinded by nostalgia to notice that they are being fooled.

I doubt they spent more than a $100k on this "remaster".

Despite what I said early in the thread, I saw this on steam yesterday, got super excited, and bought it. Been playing Red Alert since. It is the original game. Almost to a T. Fucking amazing and fun and awesome. Its the original Red Alert....... with prettier graphics! And you can swap between graphics at will, so you can even see the old sprites and stuff! Its so cool!

Sold! You’ve convinced me! Buying now, should I hold on to the receipt?

Again, the only expectation from the community was to get a game with higher resolution graphics that worked without issue on Windows 10. That’s it. That way we could play online competitively without the constant issues of a game that didn’t like to run on a modern OS.

You act like loads of new players would buy this game if it was completely reworked and the micro changed. I disagree. The only people buying this are people that want to run C&C/RA without having to jump through hoops getting the old client fixed, and as a bonus we get higher quality graphics.

The ai is not broken, just designed to cheat, they didn't even have to change the enemy ai to fix pathfinding for your units.
Besides it's not a 300 hour RPG, playtesting wouldn't cost much, there aren't that many variables and mechanics.
Reviews were favorable, but now I see that most were too blinded by nostalgia to notice that they are being fooled.

I don't speak for everyone, but all I wanted was nostalgia with better graphics as mentioned above. Reviewers weren't blinded by it as that is the point of the release. If they had had changed the AI, updated pathfinding and mechanics then it wouldn't be the game I remembered and I would have been pissed off.

As it stands it's the game I remember from long ago with good graphics, great soundtrack and online play. Can't go wrong with that.

Funny how people were complaining about FF7 Remake being a completely new game when they said all they wanted was updated graphics while there are people complaining this isn't a completely new game and just has updated graphics.

So.... what I read is, you did no research on what this was before purchasing? I knew that in theory it was the exact same game with updated graphics.... I just didnt believe it. You thought it was a different game than it is?

How is this anyone elses fault but yours? You have absolutely no right to complain that the game is **EXACTLY** as its advertised and publicized as being..... a graphical update. Its not a cash grab, the reviews arent blinded by nostalgia - the reviewers arent retarded, did research before buying, and knew the game was the same goddamn game it has been since the 90s. Nowhere is it claimed to be anything else.

So.... what I read is, you did no research on what this was before purchasing? I knew that in theory it was the exact same game with updated graphics.... I just didnt believe it. You thought it was a different game than it is?

How is this anyone elses fault but yours? You have absolutely no right to complain that the game is **EXACTLY** as its advertised and publicized as being..... a graphical update. Its not a cash grab, the reviews arent blinded by nostalgia - the reviewers arent retarded, did research before buying, and knew the game was the same goddamn game it has been since the 90s. Nowhere is it claimed to be anything else.
i figure i got exactly what i paid for...and im looking forward to community mods in the future....ok back to playing

Not just exactly as advertised, but exactly as promised based on the C&C community.

Had they released anything different they'd had completely pissed off the only people who would have bought it anyways.

Back