Comcast DOCSIS 3.0

Appa

2[H]4U
Has anyone seen a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for sale yet? I'm in Comcast's initial "rollout" area for this, and I'm looking for a new cable modem.

Extreme 5/50? Where/when/how MOAR!!!!

Wonder if it comes with the 250GB limit.

Then it's worthless... I get to 250 easy enough as it is. Fios... where are you?

I suspect it won't be long before FIOS jumps on the user bandwidth caps thing too.

It's a sad state of affairs in the US when it comes to ISP's :( I suspect it could be worse elsewhere.

Yeah, we could still be on dialup. I think that there will still be unlimited packages... you'll just have to pay for them like with cell phones.

up here in Alaska, ISPs have always had a bandwidth cap.

It wasn't until a bout 3-4yrs ago that the largest ISP started offering services with no cap, but some of their lower-tier products do still have a cap.

And the ISP I worked at for 2 yrs, always has and will have a 10gb cap.

I don't think you can complain about a 250gb cap. :)

Before GCI had un-capped offerings, I was limited to 20gb with the particular package I had, and the highest I could go without paying an additional ~$50+/mo :)

FIOS as has stated,has no intention of going to a cap, there is no need to control the bandwidth. There system has more available pipe than everyone else because they bothered to upgrade the tech.

I'm renting their 6120 for now. If I still have them when they get on Ebay for reasonable prices, I'll buy it. But it's only $3/mo. I have the 22/5 package.

No, they charge for all versions. The price seems to be the same no matter the version based on what dandragonrage said.

I own a Toshiba modem and don't pay comcast. It's served me well for 4 years now, so it was worth the purchase.

The package is like $63/mo + modem rental of $3. And that's with cable TV. Add... $10 or $15 if you just get the internet package alone. (Get basic cable if you don't want cable; it's like $9)

FYI, for DOCSIS 3.0, Comcast said I can use the 6120 or a Cisco that I forget the model number for.

Are you in Minnesota?

I'd consider that package if it was available here, and it didn't come with the 250gb limit, but I have no problem hitting that limit with 8/1.

FYI if you don't want to deal with the 250GB limit you could pay extra for a "business account" they don't cap those.

Its not that, I'm just suprised they charge for modem rental. Then again I have TWC and they don't charge us for the modem.

Is it only the 3.0 they charge for?
I have TWC in KC, MO. They tried charging 3 bucks a month for the cable modem they provided. I saw that and found a nice little modem for 5 bucks on craigslist. Works just fine for me.

Those business accounts are expensive. Looks like comcast is rolling out docsis 3.0 to a number of other areas now, offering 20/5 and 50/10 packages. I don't see how 250gb is enough on those. I'm pretty sure I went over on my 8/1 package.

Those business accounts are expensive. Looks like comcast is rolling out docsis 3.0 to a number of other areas now, offering 20/5 and 50/10 packages. I don't see how 250gb is enough on those. I'm pretty sure I went over on my 8/1 package.

are business accounts usually unmetered?

Back