COD4 OWNS!

Warning: Spoiler Alert (well, not necessarily, but still an interesting viewpoint from the game)

Act 1 - Mission: "Shock & Awe" :).

Click for 1600x1200 full-size.

Warning: Spoiler Alert (well, not necessarily, but still an interesting viewpoint from the game)

Act 1 - Mission: "Shock & Awe" :).

Click for 1600x1200 full-size.

That mission was intense to say the least.....kinda pointless though since all of your accomplishments are overshadowed by the fact that everything in 15 square miles will be glowing for the next 100 years.

Just beat the AC130 mission...wow that was awesome.

The marine missions are ok, but the SAS ones are badass.

I want to play this sniper one everyone is talking about!

Mutiplayer is awesome. I'm having so much fun with it.
Just got my M4 with the red dot. I'm about to get the ACOG for the M4 and my 1911.

Why did I go to work today :(

If only the tax payers new how much ACOG's cost. :eek:

That mission was intense to say the least.....kinda pointless though since all of your accomplishments are overshadowed by the fact that everything in 15 square miles will be glowing for the next 100 years.

Very intense. Definately one of the most memorable missions in CoD4. Running through the entire gunship battle in the capital city, saving the downed pilot and getting nuked is more than enough to get the adrenaline pumping. :)

Well since the jackasses at steam are declining my credit card despite it being valid (I called) which means no TF2 for right now I think I'll pick up a copy of COD4. What are some good servers to play on?

sounds promising you guys got any good pics? x1950xt handle this game alright you think? I dunno what the requirements are

My X1950Pro is pre-clocked to XT speeds or somesuch, and i'm having to run 1280x780, 2xAA and medium models etc on a 1400x900 monitor. It still looks great, but I think it's mainly my processor struggling anyway. If you've got something more recent than my 3500+ you'll be fine, I expect.

50% install taken 10min so far big game, I hope theres some good servers can anyone reccomend some?

Can someone break down the MP modes? CTF = no what modes are there. I want to get this but not for the single player aspect.

Can someone break down the MP modes? CTF = no what modes are there. I want to get this but not for the single player aspect.

Wikipedia ;)

Game modes
Free-for-All - Every man for himself.
Team Deathmatch - Use teamwork to kill opposing players and reach score limit.
Team Objective - Domination and Search & Destroy. Capture flags in Domination, with respawning. Destroy and defend objectives in Search & Destroy, no respawning.
Team Tactical - Small team Deathmatch and Search & Destroy.
Search and Destroy - Much like Counter-Strike's bomb planting mode, there are two teams: attackers and defenders. Attackers try to plant a bomb at one of two bomb sites, and defenders try to defend the bomb sites. If explosives are planted, defenders must defuse them. Players only have one respawn per round. A round is over when all players on one team are killed, or when the bomb explodes or is defused.
Headquarters - A radio spawns somewhere on the map. Your goal is to capture the radio for your team. If Team A captures the radio, they must defend it from being destroyed by Team B. Team A will only have one respawn until the radio is destroyed or the max time limit for the radio is reached. Team B will respawn at set intervals. Team A earns points for every second the radio is held. To capture/destroy a radio, you must stand in the area of the radio. The more players, the faster you destroy it. A new radio spawns when time limit is reached or the radio is destroyed.
Domination - There are flags at certain points around the map. All flags start neutral. Teams battle to hold the most flags. Game ends when the time limit is reached, or the score limit is reached.
Sabotage - Similar to Search and Destroy, only the bomb is neutral and there are objectives located in both teams' bases. Each team's goal is to take the bomb and blow up the objective in the enemy's base. The bomb carrier can fire his weapons, but his position will be announced periodically throughout the game. Also, unlike Search and Destroy, players will have unlimited respawns as opposed to just one per round.
Team Hardcore - Hardcore Team Deathmatch and Search and Destroy. Limited HUD, extra bullet damage, friendly fire on.
Old School - Old School TDM and FFA. No classes. Weapons are pickups, health is increased, and jumps are higher.
Oldcore - Old School pick-ups and jumping. Hardcore limited HUD and extra bullet damage. TDM.
Ground War - Big team games-TDM and Domination.

Anybody tried the Arcade mode yet in SP????
It's awesome... You get it after you complete the whole game... It unlocks "cheats" and the Arcade mode...
IN Arcade, you can pick ANY game of ANY act in the game and play it for points....
You can play the same level over and over for the highest score... Great feature to play with your body and see who gets the most points...

COD4 rules....

Good. God. I've just popped wood and sprayed the children playing the SC-130 mission. That was ridiculous!!!

Wow that was short, the game that is. Finished the game in about 4 hours.

THE GAME WAS AWESOMER!?@#!?!!@#!1111one :D

This game kicks serious ass. I think they made the most boring mission the demo mission. Simply awesome single player action.

I haven't tried MP yet.

I started the game on Vetran the first go around, I managed to go through about 3/4 of the game alright...but then the stupid spawning enemies trick of COD really got on my nerves, it gets ridiculous on Vetran because they just keep coming and they all have perfect aim.

This game is breathtaking, to be honest, the variety of locales and the graphics puts this about Crysis in my books for ambience. I've seen enough tropical islands with no atmosphere or emotion. The sniper level in Chernobyl was so eerie and powerful. It took my breath away...as did the cargo ship and many other levels in this game. I want more missions with Capt. MacMillan, but no more put him down and try to snipe an infinite number of enemies to survive anymore. That's ridiculous!!!
But yes, the first part of that mission was one of my best gaming experiences of all time.

And people who claim this game is short??? Ha! Play it on Vetran mode and lets see you try to pass it. You'll be playing some of the missions 20 times over, therefore you get 20x more game! :) Has anybody passed Vetran here? I've played the game for about 10 hours straight and I'm still trying to escape the Ferris wheel. Vetran will extend your gameplay (but will make you want to kill the game sometimes).

I just beat the game on Hardened (i believe thats it, the second highest difficulty). The game is absolutely great. To be honest i hated the Demo and bought it only for MP, but the game really is damn good. Its COD through and through, BUT the modern setting and the actually very good story make the campaign very different from the other COD's. You dont know where the games going and the missions are very connected story wise, its nice.

The "infinitely re spawning enemies" are still here though, and my god they are annoying. I really wish IF would stop with them.

I will have to agree with the respawning enemies. Only got frustrated by them twice but the 2 areas are some of the worst.

First time was at the end of the sniper mission. Was playing on veteran and my god I just kept dying. No matter where I hid it was an endless rain of grenades perfectly thrown. I even hid in one of the little huts, never stuck out. No less then 5 grenades came through the window around the same time and f'ed me over.

Second was near the end in the silos. One particular hallway to be exact. No matter which direction you go there are no less then 2 guys on each side shooting at you. No smoke grenades and the flashbangs don't have the reach to do both sides at once. Ended up flashing and fragging one side, then flashing and rushing into a side corridor. But once you get that part figured out you have endless rushes of guys from the sides now..

Was frustrating but I did finish the game and I must say it was excellent. My favorite mission by far is the AC-130 Spectre one. NEVER have a seen a game pull off something so different and so well. Second fav would have to be the sniper mission. The tension you feel when your in the field, crawling, with like 3 BMP's and a platoon of troops walking towards/around you is insane.

All around great game, can't wait to hop into MP. Just have to find time :(

-EDIT-

I haven't looked into how well modding is going to be supported but I hope it is. I would love to see a full blown mod campaign of just being an AC-130 Spectre TV gunner. Has anyone heard anything on mod tools etc? (runs off to search google)

I picked this game up at Walmart for $49 Wed, yesterday.

All I can say is ........ it's incredible. Bravo ... so much bullshit and crap out there and along comes this masterpiece. Yes, a masterpiece, 10/10 easy, all year long.

I was somewhat shocked at how, on my Westinghouse 37" where, I actually felt I was being driven thru the streets of Bagdad as a prisoner in the final minutes of my life. They did an ABSOLUTELY amazing job on creating this horrible atmosphere that one might feel before taken somewhere and executed with a single gun shot to the head or having your head cut off while being alive .....

Seeing EA on the box really scared the shit out of me and alarmed me that the game would be crap but thank god I was wrong wrong wrong.

EA on your box now days = crap inside.

Spec's are 8800GTX, 2gig ram, Intel Q6700 Extreme at 3.2Ghz, Westinghouse 37"

Liking the game so far, but is it just me or the guns don't feel powerful at all? Maybe I'm too used to other military shooters, but there doesn't seem to be enough kick when rifles fire, did they tone down the recoil to make it easier to aim for console players or what?

I'm interested in CoD4 but I'm curious how well snipers are implemented: Are maps actually big enough for worthwhile sniping? Is the ghille suit actually near-invisible to other players if you're prone and not moving? Do players move too quickly in MP to ever really get good shots off as a sniper? Does the game emphasize typical FPS run-and-gun and make sniping more a frustration than a decent role for MP?

Also does the game include bots to play against if you want to play offline MP?

Seeing EA on the box really scared the shit out of me and alarmed me that the game would be crap but thank god I was wrong wrong wrong.

Weird, mine said Activision.

I'm not done with SP yet, but so far this game is incredible. Infinity Ward guys are amazing.. I rarely play SP at all, but with COD1, COD2 and now COD4, the SP is kickass.. i hope MP is good

holy shit MP is the funnest I have played in years!

Mind you im in a clan with our own server and vent so its all very friendly and fun, no spawn camping and lots of taunting (and the occasonal knife only fights lol) :D I haven't tried a random server yet but so far I love this game. I really like the whole upgrade method, and the special abilities like UAV and airstrikes, they really add an extra flavor to the game and make it much more interesting. As far as im concerned this is the Battlefield killer I needed :D

If anyone is looking for a group of guys to play with look us up http://www.bf2shakedown.com/e107/news.php (haha I know its bad advertising for our clan but the more people we have populating the 32 man server the better lol)

Domination is fantastic, and to people wondering like I was this is everything BF2 should have been without out the well EA in it I guess?

I was on at least 10 random severs last night and all were great, I just dont know how some of these guys rank so fast.

anyone know of any player stat sites out for this game yet?

Originally Posted by rthefley

Weird, mine said Activision.

I'm not done with SP yet, but so far this game is incredible. Infinity Ward guys are amazing.. I rarely play SP at all, but with COD1, COD2 and now COD4, the SP is kickass.. i hope MP is good

I think he bought Medal of Honor Airborne :)

I'm interested in CoD4 but I'm curious how well snipers are implemented: Are maps actually big enough for worthwhile sniping? Is the ghille suit actually near-invisible to other players if you're prone and not moving? Do players move too quickly in MP to ever really get good shots off as a sniper? Does the game emphasize typical FPS run-and-gun and make sniping more a frustration than a decent role for MP?

Also does the game include bots to play against if you want to play offline MP?

The maps are uber small. I am used to bf2 and actually having room to roam. I think this game is ok, but it seems like Unreal Tourney modded to be modern combat. Turn, shoot, turn shoot, turn, shoot.

The big gripe I have is it seems a bit imbalanced in multiplayer, the unlocks seem quite a bit more powerful than the starter guns. It seems to give ranked up players a big advantage.

Back