COD4 OWNS!

i am not using xfire. i have stopped every process except explorer. trust me dude im not stupid.

I played the demo, and it convinced me to buy the full version in about 2 mins of game play!

With my new 8800GT and 3.2ghz E6750, and 3gb of ram, this game runs flawless between 45-60 fps, with maximum IQ except AA set to 2x. This is under Vista Ultimate.

Fantastic game, plays like CoD2, which is a GoodThing©

single player is only there to learn the controls imo, come to mp its as good as it gets (they still need server based rankings).

I can't agree at all. This game was clearly developed as a single player game and included MP as well. I've not played the MP yet, but as with most games, I'll probably get bored with the MP fairly shortly.

I can't agree at all. This game was clearly developed as a single player game and included MP as well. I've not played the MP yet, but as with most games, I'll probably get bored with the MP fairly shortly.

I have basically been "PC Game Free" for almost 6 months, waiting on something worthy. I have been playing the hell out of Forza2, but with the release of CoD4 and Crysis demo, my xbox time has dropped to near zero :D

I'm loving the MP!!!

In 2 days I've played 15 hours and still have managed to be productive at my 7am-5pm
job with only getting about 2-3 hours of sleep the last couple of days. :eek:

I play mostly TDM so you don't get as many XP Points as you would from Domination
or Headquarters game mode. I rush the enemy like crazy and die alot, but allways end
up with the most kills each map and seem to stay in 1st place at the end of the map.

• 2235 XP per hour
  • 1109 score per hour
  • 126 kills per hour

*Others should post there stats so I can compare how I'm doing, divide each stat by hours played to get a per hour ranking*

iw3mp2007110903193057oj1.jpg

add gggunit to xfire if you want to run N' gun with me this weekend

Dumb question cause I don't own the game yet, but what does XP mean (stand for?) Thanks.

Dumb question cause I don't own the game yet, but what does XP mean (stand for?) Thanks.
I think it means experience points. You get extra experience points by killing the enemy and by completing missions like getting 5 headshots in row during a map using a M4. There about 100 different missions to unlock that give you bonus XP.

BTW if you get 6 kills in a row you can call in an apache gunner heli that flys around for a minute killing the enemy for you. If you shoot it down you get 250 xtra XP.

yeah its pretty obvious you havent played the MP yet.

Thinking of picking this up to play MP now (played SP on a friend's machine).

Was thinking about selling/trading Quake Wars for COD4, I'm not sure yet though. :D

Thinking of picking this up to play MP now (played SP on a friend's machine).

Was thinking about selling/trading Quake Wars for COD4, I'm not sure yet though. :D

I played Quake Wars and IMO COD4 is a much better game if you don't mind the smaller maps.

65, I was reading that after you reach 65 though you can trade it in and go back to rank 1, but you get a special symbol by your name for it. I forget how many times you can do this though.

Can't play MP yet, but the SP rocks.

I especially loved the AC-130 based level. Blowing and shooting the crap out of little IR signatures is way more fun than it should be.

I can't agree at all. This game was clearly developed as a single player game and included MP as well. I've not played the MP yet...
WTF? LOL

That's quite a statement to make about MP having never played it.

This game uses all 4 cores pretty well, i get ~60% total cpu use. Just got the 8800GT, gonna see how it runs. The GTX was 90fps flat in MP with max settings, 1600x900 (i use it for the wider fov since it's not 90 degrees damn it), no AA, x4 AF.

Why am I getting 20-30 fps in MP on a GTX and youre getting 90? Somethings wrong.

65, I was reading that after you reach 65 though you can trade it in and go back to rank 1, but you get a special symbol by your name for it. I forget how many times you can do this though.
Do yo uhave any links that explain the ranking system. I wonder if you get to choose your custom image, I wonder what it is....

I tried to setup a server on my main gaming rig last night (not a dedicated). I was trying to figure out how to allow a friend to connect to my "server" over the web last night but we couldn't figure it out. It doesn't appear that I can just give him my IP,port, and server name and connect (ala BF2).

Is this wrong? What am I missing? Thanks.

Im guessing you can still keep using the unlocked weapons ? Can you link me where you read this as I havent found much info on the web about the rankings.

How does the game run on the 8800GT? Max settings?
I'm running it at 1680x1050, 2xAA, everything else set to max settings, with 1GB of RAM on an X2 4600+, and it averages 50-60 FPS. The 8800GT is running at 675 MHz.

I do experience some disk swapping, which seems to slow down the between-level movies and the first couple of seconds of any level. I'm doubling the RAM, so that should help.

I tried to setup a server on my main gaming rig last night (not a dedicated). I was trying to figure out how to allow a friend to connect to my "server" over the web last night but we couldn't figure it out. It doesn't appear that I can just give him my IP,port, and server name and connect (ala BF2).

Is this wrong? What am I missing? Thanks.

Chances are that you have a router or firewall preventing the incoming connection.

You have to open the port to allow incoming connections over that port to reach your computer.

How does the game run on the 8800GT? Max settings?

VERY GOOD. I play at 1900x1200, max image settings except I leave AA at only 2x, that keeps my framerate at 45 or better...with 4x AA I get into the mid 30's, still very playable....but I can tell little difference between 2x AA and 4x AA in the middle of a firefight.

Why am I getting 20-30 fps in MP on a GTX and youre getting 90? Somethings wrong.

I can help you out with your settings. I've done hella testing to figure out fps drop for each item in the graphics menu.

This is what I would do. Put all texture settings to EXTRA. There is only a 4fps difference between LOW and EXTRA, crazy huh. If you don't believe me just try it out.

Ok then from the main Graphics Menu set it up like this. Working from the bottom going up(this is all off of memory too)

Water = Normal
Model = Low (there is no visable difference between the low and medium)
Bullet Holes = Yes
Rag Doll = Yes
Soften Smoke Edges = No
Depth of Field = No (this is a cool effect, but in mp it isnt practical and cost you 10fps)
Dynamic Lights = OFF (having this on will drop u 25fps in battle!)
Glow = Yes (this makes the map look amazing, cost 8-10 fps when on)
Vertical Syne = Off
AA = Off (force 2xAA in your Nvidia Control panel)
Resolution = Run your monitors Native for best quality. I use 1280rez @ 140hz to match my Trinitron CRT.

Then pull up the consol and do this command...

/com_maxfps 0 (This unlocks the 91fps cap)

With the above settings & using whats in my sig below...

I get about 125-145fps avg running around maps with
12 or so people that dont have vegation and it looks amazing and just as good as it did with the other options cranked!
Maps that do have vegatation I will drop to about 70-80 running around.

Please post up your results with this tweak guide.

Thanks,
-SHiZ

ok, sorry it took so long for me to post my link to the info, heres a quote

When the user gains enough Experience Points (XP), which are earned by killing his/her opponent, their rank/level will increase. XP will also vary depending on the type of match the user is playing. The highest attainable level is 65[7], which unlocks Prestige mode. In Prestige mode, the player can trade in their rank and start over at level 1, in exchange for a special in-game insignia by their name. [8] The player can trade in their rank and start over at level 1 up to ten times, with the prestige insignia changing each time, effectively giving the player 650 total ranks to achieve.

Most of the new weapons and perks that players can use to outfit their custom class will be unlocked as they gain higher ranks, but there are also a separate number of challenges associated with each weapon that will subsequently open up new add-on gear as players complete them.

the info can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_4:_Modern_Warfare under the multiplayer section. sorry but it doesn't say if you keep your weapons or not, I'd assume it wouldn't, and would rather it didn;t as that would be the trade off, loose your rank and upgrades for a special indiactor by your name.

Chances are that you have a router or firewall preventing the incoming connection.
You have to open the port to allow incoming connections over that port to reach your computer.

Thanks for the reply. I opened up the following UDP ports on my gateway:

UDP 20800
UDP 20810
UDP 28960

Anything else?

PS: Forgot to mention that my buddy wasn't seeing my computer come up on his searches for my server. Isn't there a way to connect to an IP?

UDP 20800
UDP 20810
UDP 28960

Anything else?

PS: Forgot to mention that my buddy wasn't seeing my computer come up on his searches for my server. Isn't there a way to connect to an IP?
Not sure where 20800 or 20810 come from, but you need TCP and UDP 28960.

UDP 20800
UDP 20810
UDP 28960

Anything else?

I believe you click the button that says add favorite and it will ask you for an IP address.

WTF? LOL

That's quite a statement to make about MP having never played it.

No, it's not. Typically I find the multiplayer in most games to be boring or at the very least uninteresting. Usually I'll play the MP of most games for upwards of a month then I'm done. There are a few exceptions, UT2004, FEAR, BF2, BF2142 and a few others but generally speaking the MP doesn't hold my attention for too long. Nor do single player games. I'll play through them two or three times and never touch them again. Many of them such as Prey, I've played one time only and never bothered to do it again.

You can do the "Add favorite" thing, or bring up the console and type:

/connect ipaddress

No, it's not. Typically I find the multiplayer in most games to be boring or at the very least uninteresting. Usually I'll play the MP of most games for upwards of a month then I'm done. There are a few exceptions, UT2004, FEAR, BF2, BF2142 and a few others but generally speaking the MP doesn't hold my attention for too long. Nor do single player games. I'll play through them two or three times and never touch them again. Many of them such as Prey, I've played one time only and never bothered to do it again.

Let me see if I understand the logic here:

- "I find multiplayer in most games to be boring or at the very least uninterseting"
- "There are exceptions to this, such as BF2 and FEAR"
- "I have never tried multiplayer in COD4"
- "Therefore, the multiplayer in COD4 is tacked on to the single player game and sucks"

Brilliant!

Let me see if I understand the logic here:

- "I find multiplayer in most games to be boring or at the very least uninterseting"
- "There are exceptions to this, such as BF2 and FEAR"
- "I have never tried multiplayer in COD4"
- "Therefore, the multiplayer in COD4 is tacked on to the single player game and sucks"

Brilliant!

it makes perfect sense dude, I know a few people like this, They don't even have to play single player, they watch the previews and such and can tell right away the MP is not right for them, eventually they will get the chance to play MP, and gess what, they don't like it *GASP* some people just know what they like and what they wont, sure they can be wrong but usually they are right.

But I think you should give this game a shot, the MP does remind me of BF2142 in a couple aspects, I was pretty surprised how fun it was.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1031641380 said:
I played Quake Wars and IMO COD4 is a much better game if you don't mind the smaller maps.

2 totally dif style games imo, qw is great if your into wide open maps with vehicles, while cod4 is great for close quarters fragfest maps... I like both games.

Im guessing you can still keep using the unlocked weapons ? Can you link me where you read this as I havent found much info on the web about the rankings.

yes its much like bf2, you keep all your unlocks... plus you can create up to 5 custom classes that let you choose all your weapons, camo and perks.

yes its much like bf2, you keep all your unlocks... plus you can create up to 5 custom classes that let you choose all your weapons, camo and perks.

what he was asking about was the whole ranking down from rank 65 to rank 1 for the special insignia by your name. He wanted to know if you keep your weapons when you do this.

Back