Clean Up Your Damn Computer!

None of what I've seen so far is even close to being what I'd consider dirty... work has changed my expectations. You should see the shit I clean out every day at work...

[UPS] Sorce;1036638648 said:
You're doing it wrong Steve. Everyone knows that it's not supposed to boot on the first try, giving way to much wailing and gnashing of teeth, until you realize that one jumper wasn't in the right position and then everything works perfectly. :D

Nah, you mean someone forgot to set the PSU switch to '1'. That's how it usually goes for me.

:D

You think your heatsink was dirty? Check out mine! :D

0710101123-1.jpg

thats crazy shit right there. I make sure I clean my PC every 3 days because our home is Dusty.

These systems are down right clean compared to some of the systems at my work. Then again, I'm a network administrator for a metal/fabrication foundry...

If you use an air compressor to blow out your cases, make sure hold the fans before blasting them with air. If not, you will likely reduce their life by burning out the bearings/sleeves when they spin uncontrollably. Also, it's possible to damage the motherboard or power supply by injecting excessive power through the fan connector.

Really? I never thought about that. I always thought it was cool to spin fans with the a compressed air can, make cool noises with them. I'm guessing its mostly with an actual air compressor you have to worry?

Really? I never thought about that. I always thought it was cool to spin fans with the a compressed air can, make cool noises with them. I'm guessing its mostly with an actual air compressor you have to worry?
Because of no edit:

And of course it makes sense when you think about it, motors and generators are very similar after all. So spinning a fan is likely to create some voltage.

Bad Steve, BAD!, No, No!
THWACK!....(on the nose)

....heh, looks like the stuff I clean out of the clothes dryer lint tray...

:D

This computer belongs to my son and, to put it lightly, he had been neglecting his cleaning duties. So last night, we tore his system completely down and then I let him rebuild it himself. He did a few upgrades in the process and everything came out pretty good for a teenager...it even booted on the first try.

Oh man, you sure taught him a lesson.

Wow. Looks like a chinchilla got sucked in there

*ROTFL*

Poor Fluffy!

I don't tend to have too much of a dust problem with my current setup, but I also made a few mods to it to ensure I wouldn't have that problem...

1) As some already pointed out, positive pressure. I have 3 fans blowing in, 2 exhaust. I tend to see more dust around cracks as it clings and becomes bunnies instead of sitting on the components inside.

2) Filtering. I have the Antec 300 case, and if any of you have seen it before, you know the front has a filter... but also the side panel mount for the fan has a honeycomb like fanguard section that pops out. I snipped it and replaced it with those plastic square two part carbon filter kits. Seemed to work okay. Then I found these...

(Hope this url works) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xmi/R-100351384/h_d2/ProductDisplay?&catalogId=10053

Electrostatic air vent filters. Cut to size, put inside the filter mount, put on top of front case snap in filter (wedged between filter and front mesh of case) and holy shit, it traps it all. (It's also nice having filters that can be thrown away every 3 months instead of having to wash them) Only stuff I tend to see inside the case now are clumps that have been braided together.

Despite the name, no, having electrostatic air filters on (not in, but ON) the case won't hurt anything.

3) Keep the damn thing off the floor!

Damn smokers...

This was my brothers computer... after living on his own for a while he came back home cause he lost his job or something. He can't smoke in the house so his new computer should be fairing better, although I haven't looked at it since I built it last Christmas.

Lots more pics here...

compressed air is weak. i take my shopvac and get it onto leaf blower mode and blow the crap out of my computer. my parts look brand new even though they're about 3 years old now.

Report back when you blow away a surface mount component.

What kind of air compressors do you guys use to clean out your pc? I want to get one to clean out mine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I worked on a friends computer and I found a dead dried up frog in the case.

That had to be the funniest thing I have ever found inside a case.

fans will always get dusty, its impossible to keep them clean 24/7

here is a filter rig i tried a few years ago, worked okay i guess LOL

That's not a bad mod, assuming the rest of the case can be sealed so it goes through the filter. I might have chosen something lower profile though.;) Just up the diameter to compensate. Did it stay cool?

What kind of air compressors do you guys use to clean out your pc? I want to get one to clean out mine.

I do construction, so I just use whatever one is handy. For most people (homeowners, not someone who needs a compressor for work) something like this is perfect. It is small enough for one guy to move (though still pretty heavy) has plenty of PSI to power most any tool you may want to buy down the road, and has fairly decent airflow (the tank will fill sooner, and the pump will run less). I am a BIG fan of Hitachi pneumatic tools, and that specific compressor was always one of my favorites. There are some other brands (Porter cable, Ridgid) that make a similar 2-tank design, that are ok, and cost a bit less, but if you can get that Hitachi, I would highly recommend it.

As was stated in earlier posts, air-line moisture traps are a good idea. Especially if you plan on doing any painting/airbrushing with it. Also, make sure to drain the tanks after use. This will help to keep moisture from the lines, and prolong the life of your compressors tank/s. Here's an example of one. I have never used this particular model, but they will looks similar to this. They can get VERY expensive. Much more than the compressor even. These are usually for professionals, that have huge compressed air set-ups for their whole shop. Most homeowners only need a $50-$100 to do the job, or even the $10-$15 disposable line filters would work fine.

*couldn't edit...

almost forgot. You will want one of these

But, BE VERY diligent in looking for a QUALITY one. About 9/10 of those are cheap Chinese junk, and break shortly after you get them. I don't know where to find quality ones off hand. I just know what to look for. There is a similar nozzle, with a different design, that has been a lot more reliable for me. It is similar to a garden-hose nozzle, where you twist the nozzle, to regulate air flow. I'll see if I can find a photo...This is the one to get. They are cheap, but seem to last longer than the other style. I would recommend getting a bunch of them, cuz once you start using them, you will find all sorts of uses, and when you need a nozzle, you will never be able to find it.

I've always wondered how people manage to spill soda/beer INSIDE of their computer. I buy so much industrial cleaner and adhesive remover i'm probably on some FBI watch list.

You can take up gardening and make sure you get placed on it :D

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1293908834&sr=8-8
Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak 1-Gallon Compressor

But I got this model to use for a nail gun. Also use it to maintain air pressure in our car tires, the reservoir is pretty small so it takes a while to put air into car tires but still beats going to a filling station. I even shoot small areas of paint with a LVLP gun with it.

Works great for cleaning the computer, has a regulator to control pressure and an oil-less motor. If you just want it for cleaning electronics you could probably get a cheaper one though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I used to have an old shit computer that was for watching avi's on an older crt television. It sat on the carpet and had no filters. That thing would get SO DUSTY.

My main rig has fan filters and sit on a desk, and I blow inside it frequently, so minimal dust.

Bad link. Lol. Got to clean my case tomorrow now.

Second try... really can't overstate how these help with filtration.

http://www.shop.com/Floor+Vent+Register+Air+Filters+12+pack+-21007566-p+.xhtml

http://showinprogress.com/electrostaticairfilter/vent-mate-register-air-dust-filters-12-pk/

You can pretty much find them in any big box hardware store where the larger central air filters can be found. Also good if you have dust allergies and a central system.

Also a good idea to put scotch/packing tape over all the cracks in the case. Especially in the front where the metal pop outs are for the unused 5.25 and 3.5 slots. Then also put tape over any vent holes or something that doesn't have a filter. Once you put the case all back together you can't see the tape, but it does wonders at keeping out unwanted air flow.

Holy shit, I've had a few clients when fixing PCs.... and one had enough dust from the heatsink to cover my entire hand (heat issues / random restarts, I wonder why?)

That one up above though, with the huge heatsink.... wtf, MOLD?!? Is that honestly mold growing on that beast? :eek: Wow.

Back