CJ leaks benchmarks of 5870/5850 vs. 285/295

Wow so the 5850 is really faster than a GTX285 and its $100 cheaper. Nvidia has to start dropping their prices soon....

So I believe that is a yes with an i7 920 build?
Not unless you have 30 fans and 55 hard drives. A quality 850W supply should be fine. Hell, a quality 700W supply is probably more than adequate for two 5870s and an i7 920.

This is why I stay brand loyal. Go ATI!

Heh, wow. This is a lazy powerhouse company's dream come true. Do you mean that no matter what NVIDIA puts out, you will buy ATI? No matter what ATI puts out, you will not buy NVIDIA? Why should they ever innovate, then, or cut prices?

Without NVIDIA, these cards would be priced "competitively" against a 4890. So with roughly twice the performance (and no GTX 295 to keep them honest), we could be dealing with prices like $499 or $599 (i.e. 4870X2 release), instead of $399.

I think we should all thank the video gods for competition.

poor people who dropped $500 for a GTX295 single pcb

What place does buyer's remorse really have in enthusiast circles? What good does it do to hold your build 6 months to a year, waiting for new technology? Yes, the 5870 came, and it appears to be great. But 295-owners have been enjoying their systems for several months, now. How do you compare 6 months+ of enjoyment to an as-yet-unfulfilled promise of better? What good is new technology if you never eventually try it out?

In my opinion, "waiting for better" is a drug that should be taken in very small doses.

I don't trust these benches, no matter who is posting them. I'll wait for something a little more solid than jpegs. For all we know they could have been run with ideal hardware, at low image quality settings or certain functions disabled. Or never run at all.

I do find the numbers a tad "meh" - 2x GTX285s that cost me $550 total are still going to keep up with 2x5850s from what I see.

Yeah, early benches are what they are. But I have to wonder . . . why release fake benches with "disappointing" numbers in the categories most closely scrutinized? Out of all the fake numbers to crunch, why not finally put an end to, "But does it run Crysis?"

I don't know if these "jpegs" will be indicative of actual performance. But if releasing completely false benches to create a stir was the idea, they might have done better.

What type of power connectors will we need to power this thing? I have four six-pin power connectors. That's it.

and you are missing mine. my post clearly states that gt200 will be on store shelves together with the 5800 series. Compare the newly released 5800 series with a year old card, I don't care. Especially if it makes you feel omniscient in the graphics card world. What nvidia plans to compete with the 5800 series is not the gt200, but the gt300.. if time frame is where you are getting lost in translation, then so be it. But the fact remains that gt300 is nvidia's planned competition for 5800 whether you choose to believe it or not. You may be right, the gt300 may not show up for 6 years, but the planned competition for ati's 5800 series is still gt300. they are both dx11 cards planned for the release of windows 7. 5800 got out of the gate first, and I will admit I love the looks of it, I plan on purchasing two for my rig. But the fact remains, gt300 is ati's competitor for dx11.

Did NVIDIA design the GTX 295 with the 5870 in mind? Probably not. However, I believe the 5870 was definitely designed with the GTX 295 in mind. I think sometimes competition works that way. And it makes perfect sense, actually. While developing the 5800, how could ATI have known when they were onto something? Obviously, when they started getting "good" results, right?

Well, what is "good"? Good is subjective, isn't it? So they had to use some kind of benchmark so that they could say, "This is good, now." That benchmark was probably the GTX 295. When the 5870 is released, it will be on shelves with the 295, and that is exactly what ATI wanted. To me, this is a sort of success. They got to the market in their desired time frame, with their desired product, and all eyes on them.

Regardless of what NVIDIA has up their sleeves, I think we would all agree that they would have preferred to match ATI's window. They just couldn't. To me, this is a sort of failure, albeit small, perhaps. While your point is well-taken about comparing apples to apples, at the end of the day, if one side doesn't show up, they forfeit. NVIDIA forfeits the first round.

But maybe it will be a second round knockout. That remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Some more numbers on the 5870.

XFX5870_04.jpg

Just like Sapphire HD 5870, XFX HD 5870 is based on ATI reference design, and packs the following specs:

40nm RV870 GPU

1600 stream processors

1GB/2GB GDDR5 memory

256-bit memory interface

Core/Memory clock of 850/1200MHz (4800MHz DDR)

2.72 TeraFLOP

27W when idel and 188S when loaded

support for DirectX 11, Stream, UVD 2.0 and CrossFireX

http://en.expreview.com/2009/09/21/xfx-radeon-hd-5870-seen-in-all-its-might.html

There's a special Eyefinity version confirmed with 6 Displayport out plugs... For those who want to run 24 monitors simultaneously. *shrugs*

Among the three main high-end graphics SKUs AMD has in store for this 23rd known so far (namely Radeon HD 5850, HD 5870 1GB, and HD 5870 2GB), is a fourth distinct SKU called the Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity Edition. This is a variant of the Radeon HD 5870 with specially-designed connectivity that makes setting up to six displays possible/convenient for making use of the Eyefinity multi-display technology that lets you span a display-head across several physical displays like a mosaic.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=103612

I wonder if it's even worth looking at a 6 monitor setup without a 5870x2 minimum.

Did NVIDIA design the GTX 295 with the 5870 in mind? Probably not. However, I believe the 5870 was definitely designed with the GTX 295 in mind. I think sometimes competition works that way.

Except 3 years ago when they first started working on the 5870 (give or take) the GTX 295 didn't exist yet :p

Back