Chromebooks Outsold Apple's MacBooks In 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, a $199 laptop versus a $1,300 MacBook? That's a tough one, I wonder who is going to sell more?

Sales of Google's Chromebook surged this year -- outselling Apple's MacBook, according to a study by research group NPD. From January through November 2013, 1.76 million Chromebooks were sold -- that's up from a total of 400,000 sold last year. Altogether, Chromebooks made up 21% of notebook sales in 2013. Meanwhile, NPD's report showed that Apple's desktop and laptop sales dropped 7%.

Knowing what I know about google, I would rather not have the chromebook.

But no shocker here.

Were they outsold pretty sure google just gives away chromebooks like hotcakes to companies.

Certainly explains why Microsoft went through the trouble to make commercials that put down these Chromebooks. As bad as they are, I still think it's a good think for Linux. I'd really like to see these come with Ubuntu installed, instead of ChromeOS.

As it is right now, installing Ubuntu on Chromebook's isn't exactly easy and friendly. In fact you have to run both OS's in order to use Ubuntu and not everything works. Still, it shows there's a market for cheap Linux notebooks. You could potentially dual boot Ubuntu/Android, which is something I'd like.

Computer or junk
Computer or junk
Computer or junk

The MacBook at twice its cost is a better deal.

Computer or junk
Computer or junk
Computer or junk

The MacBook at twice its cost is a better deal.

I don't think that's a valid comparison either. For its target use (internet consumption and online application usage) a Chromebook is peachy. Not much different than a tablet, really. I wouldn't say they're junk, but they're sure as hell not very versatile.

As for a Macbook being a better deal than a Chromebook at "twice its cost"... Sure, it would be better deal if a Macbook were actually available for $400. Looking at apple.com right now, I see they start at $1400. That's 7 times the price of a Chromebook... Once again, not a good comparison.

I find this hard to believe as I see a lot of MacBooks but I never see Chromebooks out and about. Maybe most of them are broken 10 minutes after the sale.

Cheeseburger? Lobster? Really? Far from it. And no, Chromebooks are not broken within 10 mins. Everyone has such an ugly uneducated, biased self-interest comment / opinion that's so far off the mark, it's just begs for a rebuttal.

How about ( value / new school of thought ) outsold ( old school / evil capitalism )

You will never see Apple take their money and go into a state, 3 now and give real value to potentially millions of customers with Gigabit Internet / Cable for $120 a month that includes a free Nexus 7 2nd gen, DVR that can record 8 shows at one time, 500+ hours, along with a Wireless-AC router, etc.

What does that have to do with Chromebooks? It's the goodwill / brand loyalty that Google creates,

Apple is right there with Verizon, TWC, ATT, etc etc that are just interested in one thing, the money that's in your pocket. All of you with these products feel screwed, I know, I read your complaints here on HardIOCP daily.

The Chrome books - yeah, ask any busy PC repair shop how many they see of these things and who owns them. In my neck of the woods, It's always students, kids, teens and especially families that obviously have limited funds. I've seen 100 to 1 Chromebooks over Apple Products at my shop, on the street or at the library.

Want to see a Apple laptop? Turn on MTV or go down to Starbucks and gaze at all the presumptuous lemming-like hipsters (Tongue-in-cheek)

When I see people twist things around to serve their own personal agenda, it just tells me a lot about that person. Google is clearly involved in a lot of great / noble causes that goes a long way in helping the vast majority.

Apple's track record in these type of activities? Ehh .... not in this life time.

So it's a lot more than just Cheeseburgers out selling Lobster or Chromebooks falling apart within 10 mins.

I suddenly want one since I no longer have a tablet. AFAIK, these are super light, and I could simply tether it to my Note 3.

Most MacBooks are sold as over-glorified tablets without touch screen so in this regard Chromebooks are more useful.

Cheeseburger? Lobster? Really? Far from it. And no, Chromebooks are not broken within 10 mins. Everyone has such an ugly uneducated, biased self-interest comment / opinion that's so far off the mark, it's just begs for a rebuttal.

How about ( value / new school of thought ) outsold ( old school / evil capitalism )

You will never see Apple take their money and go into a state, 3 now and give real value to potentially millions of customers with Gigabit Internet / Cable for $120 a month that includes a free Nexus 7 2nd gen, DVR that can record 8 shows at one time, 500+ hours, along with a Wireless-AC router, etc.

What does that have to do with Chromebooks? It's the goodwill / brand loyalty that Google creates,

Apple is right there with Verizon, TWC, ATT, etc etc that are just interested in one thing, the money that's in your pocket. All of you with these products feel screwed, I know, I read your complaints here on HardIOCP daily.

The Chrome books - yeah, ask any busy PC repair shop how many they see of these things and who owns them. In my neck of the woods, It's always students, kids, teens and especially families that obviously have limited funds. I've seen 100 to 1 Chromebooks over Apple Products at my shop, on the street or at the library.

Want to see a Apple laptop? Turn on MTV or go down to Starbucks and gaze at all the presumptuous lemming-like hipsters (Tongue-in-cheek)

When I see people twist things around to serve their own personal agenda, it just tells me a lot about that person. Google is clearly involved in a lot of great / noble causes that goes a long way in helping the vast majority.

Apple's track record in these type of activities? Ehh .... not in this life time.

So it's a lot more than just Cheeseburgers out selling Lobster or Chromebooks falling apart within 10 mins.

Because Google just wants to be your friend, right?!?

someone started New Year's festivities early. Cheers!

Apple notebooks are down to 1.8% market share. So while Chromebooks are a tenth the cost, they are selling ten times faster.

You lost all credibility with that statement in regards to Google. I needed a good laugh as this has been an awful year and I'm ending it sick. But, thank you, you gave me a great laugh before bed.

MacBooks don't run any of the spectrum analyzers natively so they're about as useless as an iOS tablet.

You lost all credibility with that statement in regards to Google. I needed a good laugh as this has been an awful year and I'm ending it sick. But, thank you, you gave me a great laugh before bed.
more like he lost all credibility when he posted from a WebKit powered browser. :)

Knowing what I know about google, I would rather not have the chromebook.

But no shocker here.

I bought a chromebook because I knew that Ubuntu could be installed to them in a chainboot.

$200 laptop. 11.5" 13x7 display, 2GB of Ram, 320GB HDD, Dualcore i3 Sandy Bridge based Celeron. Hard to beat that price.

Added 8GB of Ram, threw in a cheap SSD and it's been my primary system ever since. I only fire up the desktop when I need to render animations or play more intensive games.

And no, they're not junk. Bunch of snobs with their noses up each other's butts in here.

MacBooks don't run any of the spectrum analyzers natively so they're about as useless as an iOS tablet.

You're quite wrong. There are programs for both OSX and iOS that perform spectral analysis.

I bought a chromebook because I knew that Ubuntu could be installed to them in a chainboot.

$200 laptop. 11.5" 13x7 display, 2GB of Ram, 320GB HDD, Dualcore i3 Sandy Bridge based Celeron. Hard to beat that price.

Added 8GB of Ram, threw in a cheap SSD and it's been my primary system ever since. I only fire up the desktop when I need to render animations or play more intensive games.

And no, they're not junk. Bunch of snobs with their noses up each other's butts in here.
I didn't realize chromebooks didn't come with ssd. An 11 MBA with those specs sells on CL between $400-$500 (asking) so $200 not really appealing price once you figure in the upgrades

Lol, my cousin got a chromebook for chirstmas and she already has problems with it. Its so limited I wouldnt use it if someone gave it to me for free. Also for $200 a tablet would be better than any chromebook.

You're quite wrong. There are programs for both OSX and iOS that perform spectral analysis.

Those stuff for OSX and iOS are toys. They don't natively support tools:

Cisco Spectrum Expert
Airmagnet XT
Wi-Spy + Chanalyzer

I'm just happy I have a well paying job that allows me to buy a MacBook Pro if I want to instead of being forced to buy a Chromebook.

Cisco Spectrum Expert
Airmagnet XT
Wi-Spy + Chanalyzer

So they're clearly useless in general, right?

You'd be disappointed if you ever visited Google or any other major Bay Area tech. Macbook Pros as far as the eye can see.

snowcrash, your the 5% it sounds like. Grats., The 95% actually needs companies like google and products like the chromebook to survive.

I'm just happy I have a well paying job that allows me to buy a MacBook Pro if I want to instead of being forced to buy a Chromebook.

Personally, I like being able to build a fully loaded gaming rig and buying a chromebook for less than the lowest price MacBook out there. At least I'll be able to upgrade both as I see fit.

I didn't realize chromebooks didn't come with ssd. An 11 MBA with those specs sells on CL between $400-$500 (asking) so $200 not really appealing price once you figure in the upgrades

Most Chromebooks come with a 16GB SSD. Acer for some reason liked to install a 320GB snail drive in theirs.

snowcrash, your the 5% it sounds like. Grats., The 95% actually needs companies like google and products like the chromebook to survive.

Things I need to survive: Air (check), Water (check), Food (check), shelter (check), Chromebook :eek:

I like how mope's best suggestion to a brand new $200 Chromebook is a used Macbook that costs about two and a half times the price for feature parity before upgrades.

A lot of you guys are so fucking out of touch.

Apples to oranges comparison.
How about comparing the Chromebook Pixel to the Retina Macbook Pro instead? ;)

my wife also wanted a chrome book this year.
Until I went looking at them and seen how it is only a net device. She needs MS office and remote log on for her work. Her office does not like Gmail and Google services.
I believe they are still running winxp due to old accounting programs.
She got a Lenovo windows 8 g505 laptop.
She is so much happier with it.
I bet reason they are not out is people know they need internet or the chrome book is useless.

I like how mope's best suggestion to a brand new $200 Chromebook is a used Macbook that costs about two and a half times the price for feature parity before upgrades.

A lot of you guys are so fucking out of touch.

feature parity? lol.

Cisco Spectrum Expert
Airmagnet XT
Wi-Spy + Chanalyzer

vmware + unity would be my suggestion for the missing application here and there :)

the better question is, which of the two made more profit on selling their respective product?

Why would anyone be proud that he paid more than he needed to unless we're talking about ladies and their purses? Do you drive off from a car dealership with a new car and smugly proclaim that you paid too much over sticker price for Made in China?

Back