Chris Roberts (Wing Commander creator) developing new game!

Guy has been out of pocket for 15 years. The technology has changed so much you might as well be starting from scratch. Sorry pal, but the weight of your name means nothing. I will reserve my judgement until I see the final product. And yeah, 20 CD's for the install would be awesome.

This doesn't mean that he's going to do all the graphics himself, or that he hasn't kept up with technology. He may have just been burnt out on the industry and has returned because he thinks he has something to offer. And perhaps what we need is a fresh perspective. Guys like him did what ever they could imagine as long as they could get away with it technologically speaking. Now the technology isn't so limited.

This could get really interesting. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well, I decided to do the $30 pledge. Hopefully when and if this game actually comes out I'll have a computer that can run it.

Yeah I went for the $30 one as well. I hope it works properly, because I tried to use the main site but it errored out several times and I had to use the alternate site.

Has kickstarter ever produced something with the technology or creativity of a AAA title, and if so, was it actually good?

Technology comes with a price, so I don't think any current crowd funded projects can go where Crytek went for example.

But I don't think that in any way would impede creativity, and as Maverick said, we'll have to wait for awhile. One of the earliest "big" project was probably Wasteland 2 with well known veterans behind it such as Brian Fargo and we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Of course, how do we define what's AAA is an important question too. I don't expect projects like Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity to be anywhere as commercially successful as those big mainstream titles out there, neither will they be as accessible to most gamer. But for those of us want specifically what these project offers, I believe we can get a quality experience out of them that are as good or better than many big titles out there. To me that will be an AAA experience.

But yeah, we won't see them until next year.

BTW, holy shit :eek:

I think the interesting thing is whether or not these KS games will have much success with sales when they actually come out, or if they've already tapped a lot of their market potential in the crowdfunding stage.

I noticed even the $30 dollar pledge requires shipping?

Shouldn't they have a digital copy, or did I miss it.

One thing for sure, this team knows their marketing!

Even starting their own contributions site, I have to say, well done.

I noticed even the $30 dollar pledge requires shipping?

Shouldn't they have a digital copy, or did I miss it.

Shipping is free in the U.S. AFAIK. And I think it's for the citizen card thing, not the game itself.

Man this game looks fucking amazing. Everything I wanted in a space sim it seems.

Did you guys watch the long video, where Chris talks and details a LOT more then what you see in the gamespot/youtube video trailer?

That cockpit view looks AMAZING. He wants it completely immersive, you see your pilots hands on every button you press, holding the joystick, can look around, etc just like you'd expect most flight sim's but you actually see the hands/feet and things.

Man this game looks fucking amazing. Everything I wanted in a space sim it seems.

Did you guys watch the long video, where Chris talks and details a LOT more then what you see in the gamespot/youtube video trailer?

That cockpit view looks AMAZING. He wants it completely immersive, you see your pilots hands on every button you press, holding the joystick, can look around, etc just like you'd expect most flight sim's but you actually see the hands/feet and things.

His goals are ambitious. The game looks fantastic in it's current state. Let's hope he can deliver.

Can't watch the video yet, but hopefully it's based on realistic physics.

Space 'sims' without physics like Freelancer feels like you're driving go-karts in space, rather than an actual ship.

I don't think the technology change will be the problem in his case. I agree with you about waiting to see what he comes up with before deciding however.

I actually think that it will be easier this time around. With the availability of hardware, software etc more things can be done faster, smarter, and easier. It's pretty much his concept and how successfully he can deliver it that will make or break his game.

Back