Chimp Challenge : Official thread

I'm switching my boxen over today.... I have no way of doing mid-day as I have to work and all :p

I'll switch over 4 SMP clients today and they should unload just after the competition starts. I have 2 more that will unload a bit earlier so I will switch them over tomorrow.
We are sure that all that needs to be done is edit the config file and it will upload under the new name..? I'd prefer not to restart the clients.

10K PPD for [H]ardApe. Bring it on MPC if you have any!

You're not alone. I will be out of town tomorrow all day so I'll switch my home boxens tonight (My work boxens is already switched).

Let's put a lot of pressure on other teams, especially when we just broke the 1,5 millions PPD mark and the first 10 millions points week ;) This is a lot of power to put on the challenge.

You need to restart the client since it will read the config at the start of the client, not during the running.

Note for the PS3 folders

To get the brackets, hit the button directly under the z and it will bring up a box of symbols. I just had an oh shit moment switching mine over. :confused:

Thanks Alan2308. :)

Fold on [H]ardApe.

Welp, my boxen are switched over (2x E6600's, 1x E6420)

If and when my Q6600 chip finally arrives (priority mail), hopefully this Mon. 5/5/08, I'll have more foldin' powa'. :p

I'll be sure to follow the great sticky (err... should be a sticky IMHO) by Tigerbiten on his simple explanation on how to set up VM's and VM the crap outa' it. Thanks Tiger. :)

Gets tha' woman and children offa' tha' street cause [H]ardApe is a' comin' tru. :D

Neener, neener, neemer, don't you other teams in the "Chimp Challenge" just wish you had 1/2 the class [H]orde team 33 has ? (</shakes head> man, this bein' a humble adult is rough) :cool:

Edit: Yeah (D'oh :rolleyes:) I don't gots no excuse to switch my boxen so soon, but you know how us "chompin' at tha' bit" computer lovers are :D (good grief, all three of my boxen are sitting together in my bedroom and I don't even plan on goin' outa' town anytime soon :rolleyes:)

I'll be switching all mine over around 08:00 BST.

That will be another 45K PpD for the Ape.

Luck ............ :D

I'm not having a good feeling about this. There are problems at Stanford. I've had two clients spend most of this morning idle as there was no work getting assigned (0.0.0.0 problem). My P4 running the 5.04 console is now getting assignments but they are all SMP Gromacs WUs and crash. How a 5.04 console client running on a P4 can be assigned SMP work is beyond me. Evidently several people are having the 0.0.0.0 problem today judging by posts on folding forums. I've reported my problems.

I even blew away my configuration and started over from scratch on this box and still having problems. I think I will upgrade to a v6 client.

I'm not having a good feeling about this. There are problems at Stanford. I've had two clients spend most of this morning idle as there was no work getting assigned (0.0.0.0 problem). My P4 running the 5.04 console is now getting assignments but they are all SMP Gromacs WUs and crash. How a 5.04 console client running on a P4 can be assigned SMP work is beyond me. Evidently several people are having the 0.0.0.0 problem today judging by posts on folding forums. I've reported my problems.

I even blew away my configuration and started over from scratch on this box and still having problems. I think I will upgrade to a v6 client.
Tobit, I have never seen or read about the console client receiving a SMP WU. Is this Windows or Linux? Do you have a -SMP flag set, perhaps? FWIW, I'm also experiencing the same error on two of my console clients and they can't receive work either. All we can do is wait it out.

Usually, if there is a problem like that happening during weekends, Stanford will kick the servers monday morning so it's not a problem. Anyway, if we have problems, others would have the same problem as well.

To put things in perspective, it seems Australia have a problem with a backbone link being cut off so there is a lot of people without internet access. This will affect OCAU but this is out of our control.

In a challenge, anything can happen but we pray that it won't affect all 4 teams too much or it's not fun.

Tobit, I have never seen or read about the console client receiving a SMP WU. Is this Windows or Linux? Do you have a -SMP flag set, perhaps?
Nope, no SMP flag. It's a 5.04 Windows console client that has been running flawless for the past two weeks.

Switched to 6.10beta3 console and now it's waiting for work. Oh well.

[17:20:40] - Connecting to assignment server
[17:20:40] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[17:20:40] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[17:20:40] - Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

I'm getting my Noctua hsf for my q6600 on Monday... so hopefully 3.2Ghz+ on my main box. That will bring me to a lowly 5.2Ghz or so. Everything counts :)

I just noticed that I'm 4 spots away from the front page.....

/sigh

Front page will have to wait

We are sure that all that needs to be done is edit the config file and it will upload under the new name..? I'd prefer not to restart the clients.

Quoted, because I'd like to have some confirmation on this as well. :eek: Is this all we need to do in order to get our data submitted under the new name. If so, then it'll be what I do before leaving for work tomorrow morning. Somebody in the know please respond today!!!

...and thanks in advance. You guys know you 'da bomb! ;)

Usually, if there is a problem like that happening during weekends, Stanford will kick the servers monday morning so it's not a problem. Anyway, if we have problems, others would have the same problem as well.

To put things in perspective, it seems Australia have a problem with a backbone link being cut off so there is a lot of people without internet access. This will affect OCAU but this is out of our control.

In a challenge, anything can happen but we pray that it won't affect all 4 teams too much or it's not fun.

When it rains it pours huh? I would hope that cable is not effecting anyone or else we're all in big trouble when it gets fixed. OCAU has joined the millionaires club and were outproducing MaxPC for a while.

Edit config.cfg with the new name then just stop and restart the fah client so it register the new name. This is because the client only read the file at the start of the client, not in real time.

I just switched all of my headless boxen over, but FAHMon still says they are folding under Kendrak?!?! :confused:

Do they have to finish their current WU to move over?

Bad news.....

I made a post regarding this in the super secret thread.... but it's confirmed now, so I thought I should put something up here as well.....

As some of you know, roughly half of my production comes from my borged machines at my wifes clinic, which is conveniently located on the other side of town.

I had planned all week to get out there today to make the switch.

Well.... Saturday morning I get a call from my mother in law (she lives across the street from us....don't ask:rolleyes:) and apparently the pilot light had gone out on her hot water heater..... She is getting older and can't do much for herself, so she needed me to come over and get it lit for her.

No problem... I head over, matches and flash light in hand, climb down into the cellar only to find there is about two inches of water on the floor. Shit.

Head up to Home Depot, arranged to have a new one installed, and went home to wait. And wait............and wait.

It's noon on Sunday and they still haven't shown up to put the damn thing in. Unless there is some sort of miracle here pretty soon... I'm not going to make it out to switch things over.

I will have my farm switched over, 1 SMP, 3 console clients and 1 GPU client, good for about 1500-1800ppd depending on the day....... sorry guys... that's all I got:(

I just switched all of my headless boxen over, but FAHMon still says they are folding under Kendrak?!?! :confused:

Had the same problem right now. I'm looking to find out how to force fahmon to read the new name... If anyone have a idea, let me know ;)

Had the same problem right now. I'm looking to find out how to force fahmon to read the new name... If anyone have a idea, let me know ;)
Did you try deleting the client in the FaHMon list and adding it again?

The client reads your client.cfg file when it starts.
Look in the top of the FAHlog.txt file.
Second timed line down should have your folding name & team number.

Code:
[04:09:29] - Ask before connecting: No
[04:09:29] - User name: Tigerbiten (Team 33)
[04:09:29] - User ID: 3E3A3D91621188A2
[04:09:29] - Machine ID: 1

If you've changed the client.cfg file and the change didn't take, recheck your client.cfg file has been changed.

Luck ........... :D

Did you try deleting the client in the FaHMon list and adding it again?

Done and no change :(

I even tried to make a new folder and copy the clientstab file without change. Also, I did use a fresh FahMon install with a fresh addition and it still show the same username. I guess it is reading from a file in the client folder but which one ?

[04:09:29] - Machine ID: 1[/code]If you've changed the client.cfg file and the change didn't take, recheck your client.cfg file has been changed
I was editing my client.cfg files last week to configure the type from 3 to 0, and sometimes the changes wouldn't stick. So, your advise is a good one. Double and triple check your edits, guys, sometimes they don't stick.

Mine is changed correctly :

[18:01:54] - Ask before connecting: No
[18:01:54] - User name: [H]ardApe (Team 33)
[18:01:54] - User ID: 7E5E57FF1489A743
[18:01:54] - Machine ID: 1

But FahMon is stubborn and still read my old name ??????? I guess they also put a hidden file somewhere with this info ??

FAHMon shows Kendrak in the WU information side, but when I dig though the log txt it shows [H]ardApe. I'm going to assume that it's switched because I trust the log info way more than the stuff FAHMon generates.

I downloaded FahSpy and checked with the boxen I changed. It show the right name :eek:

Ding, forgot a idea to try... Kendrak, can you reboot the box with fahmon installed then recheck if it find the right name ? I think that somehow, it retained the infos in memory which isn't flushed correctly when the application close.

Ding, forgot a idea to try... Kendrak, can you reboot the box with fahmon installed then recheck if it find the right name ? I think that somehow, it retained the infos in memory which isn't flushed correctly when the application close.

You mean turn off my main boxen :eek:

/closes eyes, takes a shot of mojo, and hits the butto...

Ahahah!
I'm still alive, I'm shaking but alive!

FAHMon still says kendrak for me, even though the log says [H]ardApe :confused:

Meh! I just send a PM to uncle_fungus on FCF about that. In the meanwhile, just check the Fahlog.txt file to make sure it display the right name. Don't forget the passkey if you run the v6 client ;)

Have you tried the re-load client button ?
Its "F5" or "F6" depending if you want to reload 1 client or all the clients.

Luck ............ :D

Got a reply from uncle_fungus... He said that FahMon read the infos from the queue.dat file and unfortunately, it won't get updated till it grab a new WU. I asked him if it's possible for us to delete the queue.dat file then rebuild it with qfix.

Anyway, if he is right, we might see the right infos in 1-2 days when the client grab a new WU.

...Snip...

I will have my farm switched over, 1 SMP, 3 console clients and 1 GPU client, good for about 1500-1800ppd depending on the day....... sorry guys... that's all I got:(

Giving all you got is good enough for this team! You'll get those other borgs switched when you have time.

So what are we going to do to alert other Team 33 folders that don't frequent the forum much that the challenge is starting soon? We need to mobilize the [H]orde!

Yeah, I think you should always stop the F@H client (because as I understand it the FAH config.cfg file is not read in "real" time :( (thanks XiliKon), I don't really know much about the memory thing but it sure do' make sense :)

I musta' been born under a "no matter what I do, it works" star. I switched all three (3) of my boxen over this morning, checked the terminal and it reads [H]ardApe team 33 :p

I did stop the F@H clients (ctrl+C, waited for the fah6 program threads to stop, didn't reboot the rig and then just started the client back up after running the ./fah6 -smp -configonly at the terminal line and then after that command the command ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9.

When I changed the configuration (./fah6 -smp -configonly) all I really changed was the folding name I already had a v6, d6, r2d2 or whatever code thing and I didn't want any more confusion :confused:

Now, as you can obviously tell I'm folding in a form of Linux. (at least I hope you can :rolleyes:) I'm using, ATM, Ubuntu v8.04 64 bit OS on all three (3) of my boxen, I think it should be pretty much the same in winders. (Iffin' it ain't, I'm sure some guru will correct me ;))

Good Luck
We's gonna' blow the socks right off of the other teams by out producing them in "Chimp Challenge " pernts :D

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot (old age?) All three of my boxen were in the process of crunching another 2605 WU (a good WU IMO, the second time I''ve got the same WU on all three of my boxen at the same time)

Back