chillin like villians: rev n roli's water cooling craze

Status
Not open for further replies.
now it looks like a top case, i'm looking and trying to figure out where stuff is connected.

Its funny with so many fans a stuff being powered that I honestly can't really see wires its impressive.

the oooooooooooooonly teeny tiny issue I have it the ultra cables. They look good and all but can't they be run under the mobo tray? Looks like you have the lenght to do it. That's my only issue. :)

Oh and I saved this post just for you guys. See the <3
say g33z welcome to Gawdship.....rawr

hey geez i was super bored and amnesiac'ing:

over at this webpage: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Mips/RAMFreezer

they were review ram blocks. which we all know i want AC / Koolance / Mips ram cooling at some point possibly. BUT these guys also had done work to their mobo:

onboard1_big.jpg

----
onboard4_big.jpg

see those lil black sinks? well i like the concept so im gonna try it. and prolly sink 1 or 2 other random things.

these are what i got on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6829661726&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

so hopefully i will be able to cut smaller grids of that to fit. hmmz

and got the idea from here: Koolance ramsink thread

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
oh by the way the black sinks came. they are big. and need to figure out how to cut them.... any ideas? straight dremel? how do i hold it down? i ait got much for clamping apparatus.

but why im really here is: i gotta get the yellow dfi socket bracket outta the case. and im really considering popping the top today. get that IHS off. oh and incidentally with the new mobo and a switch back to the GOLD ram, i havent gotten back to 2.9ghz yet. :S

Hey - lol - me also... meaning I want to pop my IHS off... I think I'll get 3ghz out of this chip with that off... it's all temp related why prime is failing... if I can get the die cooled better it'll fly... I reckon. I like the look of those sinks... very cool! not sure how you're going to trim the ones you got though... die-grinder? hrm... anyways... I think I'll pop my IHS this weekend if I have time.. I have been friggin swamped lately... :) whew..

yea im really thinkin about doin it by the weekend for sure rev. like uggh i just didnt want to have to before cuz i like how it looks ON and all that but in reality, its a frikken CABNE, that basically requires a top-pop!

and yea i dunno what ima do now about the sinks. hmmz

hmm rev, how feasible you think it is for me to cut the blow hole with stuff's in the case? hmmz. like i could tape an old rag or some shit to the whole are i would be cuttin thru.... but yea that area NEEDs the cooling ASAP

whoa... those bottom two/three now explains why my top GTX gets so warm... I thought the bottom one was heating it up... not the case... hrm... that's in a very bad spot for me... getting to that with anything that is... it's almost buried behind my rad... that's a great map though... gives me some ideas for better cooling. w00t. :)

el rolio said:
hmm rev, how feasible you think it is for me to cut the blow hole with stuff's in the case? hmmz. like i could tape an old rag or some shit to the whole are i would be cuttin thru.... but yea that area NEEDs the cooling ASAP

yeah - I was thinking that will be very dangerous... getting metal flakes on your equipment will be hard not to do... wow... you'll have to tape the main area off. and cut with the case on it's side.. yeah - I think that would be the easiest thing to do.... use tape and a garbage bag... and have a handi-vac near by for emergencies. ;)

What about one of these:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3889

will that work? or do you not have a spot open on the top?

ok - I ordered the Apogee!!!!!! whew... and the Sunbeam Chameleon LED lighting kit... and some clear cool-sleaves. lol. the modding shal continue!! I discovered that I have the OLD style TDX - in that the newer one has more internal surface area in the block... and the Apogee is very non-restrictive.... the more I read about the TDX the more it does not seem like it was that great of a match for my Koolance.. but it has been doing a pretty good job... gah!! anyways - this will satisfy my incessant need to fuss with things. ;)

wait hol on there, so you got the apogee (i dont like it so much) for its free flow over the storm cuz of its restriction? cuz you know i woulda loved it if you got the storm heh...

oh and as for the slot cooler. where would i put it? and im worried about the noise, but its looking good and you know i can pick one up this weekend at neighborhood comp usa to see if it does the trick.

el rolio said:
wait hol on there, so you got the apogee (i dont like it so much) for its free flow over the storm cuz of its restriction? cuz you know i woulda loved it if you got the storm heh...

Yeah - I thought it was better matched for a system with medium/low pumping power... hrm... well - I can email performance-pcs and change it I guess.... it will not go out until Monday anyways... should I change it? I thought the Apogee was pretty good? aside from the metal shards in the bottom of it. lol.. hrm. ?

EDIT:

DOH!!

logo
Dear adam gunn,
Performance-PCs.com
Order Number: ******
Detailed Invoice
Date Ordered: Friday 16 December, 2005
Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Shipped

heh.. oh well.. :)

revenant said:
What about one of these:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3889

will that work? or do you not have a spot open on the top?

ok - I ordered the Apogee!!!!!! whew... and the Sunbeam Chameleon LED lighting kit... and some clear cool-sleaves. lol. the modding shal continue!! I discovered that I have the OLD style TDX - in that the newer one has more internal surface area in the block... and the Apogee is very non-restrictive.... the more I read about the TDX the more it does not seem like it was that great of a match for my Koolance.. but it has been doing a pretty good job... gah!! anyways - this will satisfy my incessant need to fuss with things. ;)

waste of money...:(

well ... maybe and maybe not... I'll put it to the test and see... wait - about the system blower or the apogee? hrmm... anyways - I've read a lot on the apogee - and this review seems to me to be pretty "real"...

http://www.systemcooling.com/swiftech_apogee-01.html

I doubt it will perform any worse than my TDX and I'll take any increase in flow I can get... we'll see... plus, as I said, I like to fuss with things...

Intel_Inside said:
No kidding:

Airflow 3.089 ~ 11.25 CFM :rolleyes:

christ - he doesn't have to buy that one... I was just on that page... I was more just ref'ing an idea to use something like that...

DISASSEMBLE AND CLEAN IT before you run it, ive seen so many pictures of it naked and its got shavings EVERYWHERE! :eek:

0mega said:
DISASSEMBLE AND CLEAN IT before you run it, ive seen so many pictures of it naked and its got shavings EVERYWHERE! :eek:

YES! I should have said that.. I am for shit sure going to do that... I know about the copper shards/milling debris. that's really sucks imo.. but oh well... I love taking things apart and putting them back together. :)

Also read this post on systemcooling.com (http://www.systemcooling.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3903&st=15 post #18)

"Lee, I want to thank you for taking the time to perform the test with the Maze 3. The results are exactly what I suspected actually. This proves that WB testing with an IHS is for the birds, it in no way shape or form characterizes the actual efficiency of the WB itself. The IHS > TIM is far to variable a beast to even consider or account for in testing. Now we KNOW the Maze 3 is not as good as the Storm, yet with an IHS the temps REPORTED are nearly identical to one another. However, there is much more going on than meets the eye in terms of reported temps in a CPU."

pretty good motivation for the "pop our IHS" initiative. :)

hehe nah rev its fine the storm is a flow stopper in comparison so it is bettter matched, no worries, i am just not a big fan but its still all good.

im excited, wanna see what happens. im prolly gonna get the yellow socket bracket outt this weekend... fun times. that would be about it, maybe put your skull n crossbones fan somewhere.

revenant said:
christ - he doesn't have to buy that one... I was just on that page... I was more just ref'ing an idea to use something like that...

Haha, I know, I was just showing how shitty it is :p

ha! yeah - those blowers suck! er, yeah... typically they do not move much air and they are noisy... anyways - I just had seen peeps use them as an alternative to cutting a blow hole int he lili Vxxxx series cases... oh well

Roli - yeah - I was really on the fence - but I think adding that extra rad put additional strain on my flow rate - so this should balance it back out... perhaps... but I am going to pop my IHS when I put the apogee in also... it will be yet another decent sized migration towards... well, towards the goal... of what I am not sure... I think it's 3ghz (24/7)... still. lol. :)

well folks after a day of testign that i can at least say used some effort and was done properly ive learnt a few things.

first of all, my lovely ocz golds are powerful and all, bu are gonan need to be rma'd cuz they have a bad spot in there somewhere. at stock and as such i could super pi and prime but not occt.

my occt stable speed was 280x10 for 2.8ghz so i spent some time recently gettin it complete with lower and lower voltages. got it to 1.5 now (some combi of low vid and 104% i think)

i got the graphs too. everything is pretty stable and the temps are fine.

now for what i found out. i love this dfi board, i moved from the 623 to 704 big toe to the fx60 test bios now. i also got the more customizd lanparty smart guardian so thats better and it doesnt cause the silly auto start probs i was having with the stock ITEsg.

As for the 146. well its heritage as a fx57 core is there. damn near stock volts and 2.8 stable. however its heritage as a original opterown is also clear. i gets hot QUICK once you get over 1.5 volts. and i mean WILD delta diff between idle and load temps. i mena it just proves eclipse's theory about fast switchin transistors and all.
So the problem is, ok yea i can get to 2.9 like i did on the neo 2 and yea i can do it with a lil less vcore than i did with the neo2, but YEA, its still crazy hot, no matter what, load temps close to 55.

so the cool (heh) thing about runnin 280x10 with the lower vcore is that the dividers have a sweet spot now.
using the 150 ratio nets 200mhz on the ram (stock)
using 166 ratio nets 233mhz on the ram (ddr2? ha)
and i havent used the 180 yet but im sure it will be nice.

So now what i can do till i go out i spose is do some memory only testing, with the plati rev2's sicne i gotta send out the gold's anyways, and see if i can get it to go 1:1 at 280mhz. this bios should be goodd for tccd type ram and i think im using the right slots for it too so we shall see.

ahhhhhh!!!! suck.. oh well... these things happen... and I hear you on that cpu heating fast over 1.5 vcore issue... mine does that also... @ 3ghz with 1.55 vcore it was going over 50c load... too hot! I am hoping that with the IHS off the waterblock will be able to pull that heat away from the die fast enough to stablize that for 24/7 use... like so many peeps have said, watercooling with the IHS on is sort of a waste.... you're really not getting the best part about being able to get large amounts of heat away from the core very quickly... anyways...

in other news.... I love my new phone!!!!!! hah... been "geeking out" on that all day.. :)

I didn't pop my IHS yet... but am planning on it week after Xmas... I should get my Apogee and new lighting kit on Thursday... I'll take a ton of pics of the apogee and cleaning the copper debris from the milling... anyways.. Roli - when are you taking off homie?

apparently they check the apogees by hand now so you might not have to clean anything, check to be safe though

yea apparently they are coming out good. assuming hte one you got is recent stock etc.

anyhoo i go home tomorrow morning actually! come back the 5th of december. but im taking the powerbook with me i think so i can sort mail better as opposed to thru webmail interfaces... plus in case work needs my help with some sh*t.

so yea i'll be hardforuming from home anyways hahah, + i heard from a birdie im gettin a hardforum type xmas present! ha!

anyhoo rev if you pop that lid you should maybe put down some lil pads like the athlonXP's had, and like in the pop yer lid thread. it looks like a good idea! excited to see the new shit.

oh ps: rev, i just thought about supn. for the waterblocks on the GT's, i put AS5 on the core, but not the small rectangle below the square core.

should i have? :confused:

i saw someone in another thread sink everything on their card + themrla paste every chip including that rectangle so i wasnt sure.

Nah - that's the pci-e <--> agp bridge chip... it was not covered with thermal goop from the factory, so I figure it's ok to leave as is. I will find some pads for my chip corners also.. good idea! :) Have a safe trip mang!!!! Happy New Year and all of that. whoop! whoop! :D :D

ha! so im travelling! and i got 2 hours at each stop! and this dude sang "these are a few of my favorite things" christmas carol over the loudspeaker. its the clearest i ever heard anyone use that thing. it was crazy. then i was looking for wifi, cuz its almost 2006. airports gotta have wifi right? like wtf! then i got smokeh to help!

then i walked to a more populated area and found this!

so i paid my 7 bucks that i spent on breakfast earlier! and im gonna wifi till they about to shut the doors on me. then ima try find more net goodness in miami! wewt!

Nice.... did you take that image with your phone? pretty good if so. :) They are making a killing @ $7 for a day pass. whew.. :) I did some bluetooth hunting last time I was in the airport and found several devices while in a long line to fly to canada... but those are hard to use as a net gateway because they require action on the other side to add your side as a trusted device.. foo!! Anyways - travel safely mane!!!!!

EDIT: had to share - this photo I took with my T-809 (samsung - 1.3mp cam)..
jinglebells2.jpg

not too shabby for a phone.. :)

well ok im gonna take a few more pics if thats the case. i did take one to post here now.... its the

IM HOME POST MF!!!!!

thats the lappy on the dining table post family dinner + the tree in the background but its a bit blurry i think. will take more in a sec heh

yaaaaaaay. its hot in jamaica.

Nice tree!!!!!!!!! w00t. I love christmas trees! :D :D

in other news - I got the Apogee today... it looks *really* clean inside, but I am going to give a closer look soon... and take some pics. :)

I saw this thread on XS

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83603

and I am now even more itchen/twitchen to pop the lid on my sandie.. lol. this guy got 16 degree temp drops in load with his IHS off... daaaaaaaamn! :) and check this idea:

Zeus said:
Immaculate, i'd say. :clap:

I've seen a couple of dutch lads using a shim of a Geforce 6 series card to prevent the core from crushing, that made it look even cooler! :cool:

:cool:

oh by the way roli

yellowsnow2sw.jpg

I think my mom wants you and brett to scoop me from teh airport tomorrow so link her...

Can't wait homie!!!! JAMAICA FTMFW!!

Oh what the... ? - yeah - hippo birdy mane!!!!!!! :D :D

It's funny... I was just cleaning out the wallet - and I have kept a Jamaican $20 in it since I went to Negril a few years back, for good luck! I have not done that with any other foreign currency. :) you guys travel safe now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back