chillin like villians: rev n roli's water cooling craze

Status
Not open for further replies.
jetjaguar said:
what length sata cables are u guys running .. trying to figure out wut length i need .. 24 or 36 ?? v1000 is my case

also did u guys get that thing from lian li for the rear exhaust .. that diverts the air ? mine didnt come with it

Hi! my SATA cables are 30" long.. I got them from this page:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=167&sort=20a&page=2
I think 24" cables would work, but you would have less slack to play with while routing creatively. I did get the rear divertor part, but took it off right away.. your's should have come with that.. I would call the supplier and let them know about it.

In other news.. I think this thread has about run it's course boys and girls.. I have plans for a new machine in the mid/late summer, for which a new thread will be born. I had a ton O fun working with Roli on these projects.. man, we started PMs about cooling ideas almost exactly a year ago today.. crazy! and we really implemented our ideas into reality. I suppose that might make us technological intellectuals? perhaps. :)

Anyways, with my next project I hope to get into more actual modding of the case, with custom peli-glass parts, painting, and the whole gammut.. This thread was focused more on performance modding than esthetic modding.. although I did do a lot of work with lighting and Roli set new standards in clean wiring. I think my next work-log will cover the whole chalupa. ;)

ok, I will wait for Roli to say some good-byes before closing the thread down.. so long and thanks for all the fish! . . . or something like that. ;)

@ 45 pages you guys give up?

weak. ;) j/k!

Anyways, its been good and as you know i been a part of it from the beginning (I had post #5 :D ) and have to hear about every single trip to the hardware store from r0li.

Never really posted much cause it was kinda hard to fight thru all the "omg guys you are the coolest" lol, but I always had to check up on you guys to see the updates. It was good to see how many things came out of this thread!

The ingenious ideas that materialised into [H]ard|Forum standards. You guys inspired a lot of people around here and prolly have 2 of the most notable v1000s around.

Oh and by the way rev, do you realise that you went from 6800GTs, to 6800Us to 7800GTXs to 7900GTs in no time? thats crazy. haha

Anyways, I'm glad I could see this all the way thru, and I will def. be hearing from you guys.

*tear

Well guys, even though the thread will get locked i hope it stays around. funny thing is im gonna be inbetween jobs and all this summer so the majority of my hosted images would soon have to dissappear and i was worrying about how it would affect our thread. and anyway, i respect that it should be closed, even as i embark upon risidiual update #53 to my machine.

so i am super happy to have done this worklog. ive learnt so much and done more than i thought or planned to do. i dont even remember how i met rev, but my [H] experience is forever tied to him. I'm also happy so many have enjoyed this worklog for its non conforming, loose style. honestly it was more of our lil running diary, a "home base" thread for all the work we were doing, and a place to field questions from those who liked our stuff.

i loved the fact that there were so many similarities in these machines, that even tho the approaches were different they really complimented each other. and i love the fact that even now, i may pm someone to compliment them on their case and the reply is more often than not "your worklog inspired my mod". insta-pride.

----
so yep, my final update which prolly wont be posted here but just in watercooling threads etc is that we recently discovered that a updated, modded DDC pump is far superior in high restriction applications like mine than all others. less noise, less heat dump, smaller, and more head.
i purchased G1/4 barbs from eddy at EK waterblocks and they are a thing of beauty. he is GREAT to work with. i want to buy his full coverage gfx blocks next. more than anything.
http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=41

i purchased the acrylic universal top from alphacool which was lovely and easy to install and allowed me to use the top inlet barb
http://www.alphacool.de/xt/product_...pumps/pum-laing-ddc-alphacool-attachment.html

and finally i purchased the rev2 DDC from Dangerden themselves, after having Kathi at DD confirm it was the right pump, with the 18W motor.
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=135&cat=23&page=1

put it all together and im GOOD. also got some stuff like yate loons to put on my rad since its better and quieter than undervolted panaflos (which are necessary for high restriction rads... aka everything else). got me rubber mounts, worm clamps, neoprene washers, fan gaskets, and more micro heatsinks. all in an effort to get quieter. even got some velcro for soft mounting the pump and the reservoir. sso expect the pretty pics around sometime this weekend.
--

Thru it all i knew that i could always come home to focus on my hobby and build my machine. i set some goals (like getting an aquaero and having it fully control the fans), learnt a lotta things (like the whole head vs flowrate needs of a loop) and got REALLY sensitive to sound (my system requirements are so high that its difficult to get help from regualr computer users cuz they simply dont perceive the level of quiet i try to achieve.... unless they are like me and have conquered sound such that they can help - pretty frustrating).

the plan was to invest so much time and care to this case that it could serve me well thru a FEW upgrades. AM2, etc so that teh cooling system would be perfect and all i would do is swap parts and arctic silver 5. the case cost $200 and i put crazy man hours into it.... as you all know over 45 pages.

with that said i cant wait till rev and i get to the next set of projects. things i like are the gigabyte aura case, the silverstone TJ cases, and the new dell xps 700 case. if EVER were to forsake this machine those would be it. my next machine WILL have the rad mounted fully internally so thos the size of the v1000 was perfect it wouldnt work cuz of mobo location. i still think its the top all around case tho. my loop would be more elegant and tuned. yea i can do better. and finally it would prolly be black with lots of sound damping.

again, thanks all for reading and experiencing this with us. im sad the thread has to go dodo, but it had to happen right?

g33zy said:
Oh and by the way rev, do you realise that you went from 6800GTs, to 6800Us to 7800GTXs to 7900GTs in no time? thats crazy. haha

haha and do you realise i went thru what? 4 opterowns? and i had one of the ORIGINAL's to begin with when there were less than a 100 in circulation? if that much? hahah. but i have my 3ghz and i have my silence. can't complain too mucch about that.... well except my frikken chipset block still annoys me. but i shall try to take it passive this weekend!

oh and i weent to the hardware store today to find the perfect screws for my yates + Pa rad. only to come back and findd outt that bolts and a wrench jsut were not gonna cut it. so now im gonna do my first thread tap to slighty change the holes in the rad to fit more wildley available Us imperial thread socket screws. much prettier, much easier to use. holla.

El rolio-

Sorry this is a bit offtopic but how hard was it to take off the stock 7800GTX cooler?

My one is getting loud, and I want to replace it with either a VF700 or VF900. Im very hesistant as its an expensive card and I really dont want to mess it up.

A mini guide would probably be asking too much but would help immensly.

Great work and thank you!

Noni - I think that question should have been directed at me.. and the answer is, pretty easy. Just have a nice little cup or bowl near by to put all the little screws in.. you have to take the top part off (the part with the MFG decal that says stuff like "big mofo 7800GTX coming at ya" heh.. anyways, tiny tiny screws on that one, but after its off, you'll see the four spring loaded screws around the gpu core block, which is attached to the memory sink also, so you have to take those screws out, from the face side, then flip the card over and take the 5 or so spring loaded screws which hold the memory sink part on, then it will just fall off.. the fan assembly is held on by three non-spring loaded sort of small regular looking screws, which are in the plastic shrowd near the fan blades... it's a lot of parts when you have it all apart, so just make sure you save them all... I use plastic baggies. I am a fan! ;) Anyways..

g33zy - yeah, very close, but I never had 6800U's, but had the coolers from them on my GTs for a while.. that's what got Roli and I started on this.. putting those coolers on for the memory while we watercooled the cores.. or something like that. :) Thanks for your ongoing vigil!! your comments were great!

Roli - mang, yeah, I hear ya on the [H] experience being tied to ya thang.. very same for me also. It's been a blast! When I moved from Santa Barbara to Marin County I left all of my best friends behind me.. it was a hard move, but I knew I was doing the right thing for making my future a better place.. 20 years in the same town, I just had to get out... and when I met my fiance I knew it was the right thing to move to where she was.. Anyways.. meeting Roli, hanging on [H] with you all, and doing this work-log was the cure for the lack of friends I had up here who I could "geek out with", if you will. Man, I was going very crazy for a while.. but this really filled that void.. being able to share these experiences with peeps who totally dug this stuff.. could not asked for a better thing!! The peeps who pm'd me with compliments, questions, and some telling me even their -kids- thought Roli and I were the coolest d00dz around.. heh.. that was great also.. anyways..

I hope also that this thread will continue to give peeps a place to check some cool stuff out, and maybe get a few ideas.. enjoy the pics and comments. :)

So as hard as it is to do this, time to end the thread. Roli, had a blast with ya.. let's do it again some time! :D

((**ominous hint for a revival thread. . . sometime**))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back