Cheap Android Tablets

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
I am considering getting my sons (12yrs &14yrs ) a pair of cheap android tablets as Christmas presents. They would have their email on it, Facebook access, Google search and stuff like that along with all software on the Android Market available to them. They are both getting into music and having their collection on their tablets would be cool to them as well as Pandora.

Something like this one or similar. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=RR7T40WR1&cat=CON

I realize they are no ASUS Transformer or the like, but they are also not $500.

Thoughts and suggestions and advice?

Functionality wise, they should be the same as the other tablets for basic apps, only much slower.

The main issue you should be concerned about is the battery, it's the first thing that gets sacrificed on these things.

I think those tablets are going to end up on the floor/not really used after a week or two. The under $100 android crowd is generally unresponsive, lacking in battery, and down right slow.

If you can, I'd consider getting 2 nook colors (original, not the new tablet coming out) and some high capacity SD cards for them. Root the nooks, and they've got a pretty sweet functioning tablet. With the new nook tablet coming out, I wouldn't be surprised of the price of used Nook colors dipped to $100-$150ish (possibly even around that price new when B&N starts to clearance them out). I bought my current one at a pawn shop for $110 about five months ago, decent prices can be found rather easily.

Rooting is so easy it's almost silly, and a lot of the custom roms (also very easy to add) add some great tweaks and enhancements.

The nook color overclocks stably to about 1.1-1.2ghz in most cases, and has an amazing screen (especially when considering the price). The only fault I really can think of for it, in terms of how you want your kids to use it, is that the headphones port does have a slight hum to it. I found it bothersome though my Shure 530 and ATH-ESW9, but probably not noticable to your kids.

Get the kindle fire. If they need more than the stock amazon market, root it for them. These things are great! 200 price is good too.

Edit.... I didn't see you were aiming lower. My bad!

If you can, I'd consider getting 2 nook colors (original, not the new tablet coming out) and some high capacity SD cards for them. Root the nooks, and they've got a pretty sweet functioning tablet. With the new nook tablet coming out, I wouldn't be surprised of the price of used Nook colors dipped to $100-$150ish (possibly even around that price new when B&N starts to clearance them out). I bought my current one at a pawn shop for $110 about five months ago, decent prices can be found rather easily.

A refurbished Nook Color is $150. They've been as low as $130 on sale. Barnes & Noble have them on their ebay store.

The Nook Tablet is looking nice, but it's $250.

Back