Change SSID on 2nd Router

rrla

n00b
My main router (router 1) is a D-Link DIR-880L which is cat5 cable connected to my router2, a Linksys E1200. The Linksys (router2) is bridged using the same SSID and password so as to extend my wireless signal. The Cat5 cable connection between the routers is LAN to LAN. This setup works fine, no problems.
I would like to change the SSID for both routers. No problem with router1, but I how do I change the SSID on router2?
Is there a method other than re-setting router2 to factory defaults and then re-configuring as a bridging router?

Yeah the bridge may not update to the new SSID dynamically.

Reconfigure #1 as you want and then reconfigure #2.

My problem is how to reconfigure router #2, short of resetting it to factory defaults and starting from square one.

Right... reset to factory and reconfigure it.

It takes all of about 20 minutes right? :)

Does router 2 not have a LAN IP on it, even in a bridge mode it should still have an assigned LAN IP for management..at least that is how i am using my Asus R with my main pfsense firewall.

Does router 2 not have a LAN IP on it, even in a bridge mode it should still have an assigned LAN IP for management..at least that is how i am using my Asus R with my main pfsense firewall.

Thanks for the hint.
In looking for the IP of my bridged router I stumbled across a simple way to edit both routers.
In Windows 7, select Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center, then click on "see full map" at upper right of screen.
All active devices will be displayed, including both routers. Clicking on a router will bring up a login screen and then to the router's web based site where configuration changes can be made, including SSID ans security settings.

Back