Change Gpu

I want to change my computer GPU in order to get higher FPS in fortnite, like 90Fps or more.

My computer is this one:
CPU-AMD A10-7860K APU (2014 D.Ka)/
GPU-AMD Radeon R7 Graphics /
SSD-Samsung 860 Evo 250GB/
RAM-Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600 C9 1x8GB
PSU-Kolink Core 700W

I was thinking to chance the GPU to get higher FPS in Fortnite and i would change it for the:
Radeon RX 580 Special Edition (Sapphire Nitro+) 8GB

It is a good change or it won't work? I don't know if the CPU won't let the GPU work correctly...

What do you think..... I should get other GPU or it won't work?

Last edited:
Getting a RX580 will help a bit but honestly your CPU is really really slow by today's standards. Sure putting in a RX580 will bump performance up a bit over the integrated graphics on that APU but the core architecture being Kaveri with "Steamroller" cores which are a derivative of Bulldozer are very slow. They are even slower than an i5 2500K from the year 2011.

I would honestly save up some money and look into a whole system overhaul at this point as you are in dire need of it.

Yes I would get that GPU. It will undoubtedly help your fps. It would make a massive difference besides freeing up your system RAM that the APU is now stealing. It would be a win all around. And you can keep the new GPU when later you move to a new system.
Oh and make sure to install the new drivers and don't plug in your monitor to the motherboard as it is now. It will get plugged into the new GPU ;)

Another note. Make sure your current power supply has the required plugs needed for the card you are wanting to purchase. If it doesn't there are similar performance cards that will require less plugs/pins. The 580 listed requires an 8-pin and 6-pin power with 500Watt PS.

I want to change my computer GPU in order to get higher FPS in fortnite, like 90Fps or more.

My computer is this one:
PSU-Kolink Core 700W

I was thinking to chance the GPU to get higher FPS in Fortnite and i would change it for the:

It is a good change or it won't work? I don't know if the CPU won't let the GPU work correctly...

Do NOT spend any more than 120 SHIPPED on that card, and like everyone says....save up for a rebuild (AM4) cause that cpu is going to be bottle necked BAD. The slowest cheapest new AM4 cpu is likely at least trice as powerful as your current one.

I think you need the $85 Ryzen 5 1600 AF cpu to start with … about $400 would net you a newer system with an RX 570

My computer is this one:
PSU-Kolink Core 700W

It will definitely work. You will likely see an improvement with the 580, but you'll be held back pretty badly by that CPU, such that I would be very surprised if you can get a consistent 90 FPS, even in Fortnite.

As Crazycrave mentioned, you'd probably be a good candidate for the Ryzen 1600AF.

It will definitely work. You will likely see an improvement with the 580, but you'll be held back pretty badly by that CPU, such that I would be very surprised if you can get a consistent 90 FPS, even in Fortnite.

As Crazycrave mentioned, you'd probably be a good candidate for the Ryzen 1600AF.
He is using the APU for gfx. Probably low settings 720p. OP? Yes his CPU will limit him, but a discrete GPU will still offer him such a massive increase in performance 3-4x@1080p? The card can go into his new system. This is the smartest single piece upgrade for him. I don't recall him asking for advice on a whole new system :rolleyes:

He is using the APU for gfx. Probably low settings 720p. OP? Yes his CPU will limit him, but a discrete GPU will still offer him such a massive increase in performance 3-4x@1080p? The card can go into his new system. This is the smartest single piece upgrade for him. I don't recall him asking for advice on a whole new system :rolleyes:
I think he was making sure op is aware that the card in question will be handicapped compared to normal online performance reviews (since its very rare cards are tested with certain cpus) I owned and used a rx580 and the performance is actually not bad at all....but in this current system its going to struggle when the cpu has heavy usage.

I think he was making sure op is aware that the card in question will be handicapped compared to normal online performance reviews (since its very rare cards are tested with certain cpus) I owned and used a rx580 and the performance is actually not bad at all....but in this current system its going to struggle when the cpu has heavy usage.
Yes the card won't be the bottleneck. OP asked if it will help his fps. Yes massively it will. Give him advice on a system build when he asks for it ;)

Hey OP. Here is a good vid to check out.

Looks like the old HD7970/R280/R380 would all do well among others. 3x+ fps for $50 would be ideal for his build.

Exactly. I even said it would work. My point was just that I doubt he'll see the 90 FPS he's looking for.

I agree, though, that an older used card might be a better deal.

Good improvement but not best. Maybe even comparable to a lower end card is what Razor is getting at I think. Depending on upgrade roadmap it can be better to avoid certain upgrade routes. For instance no one here would recommend a 2080ti because it would be incredibly underutilized. I do second DON’T spend more than $120 shipped on the 580 and ideally $50ish on a R380 until a whole system overhaul is on the horizon.

Exactly. I even said it would work. My point was just that I doubt he'll see the 90 FPS he's looking for.

I agree, though, that an older used card might be a better deal.
I think if he plays at the same ultra low resolution and settings he would easily hit 90fps. OP never specified or has yet to chime back in to let us know much details.
We have to remember he is playing now with a very old APU that is sharing his single channel DDR3!

I think if he plays at the same ultra low resolution and settings he would easily hit 90fps. OP never specified or has yet to chime back in to let us know much details.
We have to remember he is playing now with a very old APU that is sharing his single channel DDR3!
Holy smokes I missed the single stick ram. It’s halfway to being a figit spinner like that. OP needs another stick of RAM. I had a A10-5750m that was hot garbage in single channel. Get that chip a sandwich. Or I honestly can say getting an new GPU would be a waste

Back