Ceton Quad Tuner - Delayed

Adam

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got this disturbing email... i'm a little disapointed now. I've been waiting months now for this and now its delayed, again:

To all Ceton InfiniTV 4 Tuner Card Pre-Order Customers,

IIt is with great disappointment that we have to inform you that the Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad Digital Tuner card has been delayed.

We received news late Friday from Ceton Corporation that the manufacture has been unable to acquire key components necessary to complete final stages of production on the tuners. We don’t have a new date yet as to when we will have the tuners but we don’t anticipate it being a lengthy delay.

Cannon PC has not charged any customers credit cards for the Ceton pre-orders and all orders remain activate unless we hear otherwise from you the customer. We understand if you wish to cancel your pre-order but we are asking that you remain patient and we will keep you updated on the progress of the Ceton tuner and when we might be expecting our first shipments.

We thank you again for choosing Cannon PC and if you have any questions that are not specifically answered in this email or not answered on Ceton’s web site (www.cetoncorp.com) we will be glad to answer them for you.

Gregg Cannon
President, Cannon PC
www.cannonpc.com

Boo, I say!

I might have to put in a pre-order just to make sure I have one by college football kickoff. I figured I'd wait, since I was positive that they'd be plentiful by that point. :rolleyes:

I'm not too surprised that there is a delay, but it sucks that they announced it only a week before the expected release.

I'm still debating whether or not to pre-order.

Boo, I say!

I might have to put in a pre-order just to make sure I have one by college football kickoff. I figured I'd wait, since I was positive that they'd be plentiful by that point. :rolleyes:

Funny - I am following this product for that very same reason. I have not had cable tv for a few years now, but I'm sick of watching games on random streaming sites so I think I'm gonna re-subscribe late this summer. I would rather build a little HTPC than rent a DVR so I hope this or something else comes through in time.

Ohhh look at this crap now on their website:

The Ceton InfiniTV 4 quad-tuner card for digital cable is now available for pre-order! A valid credit card is required at the time of order but will not be charged until your order is shipped. InfiniTV 4 is expected to ship to consumers approximately mid-year of 2010.

This is ridiculous... empty promises... at this rate im sure they'll cancel it again. I might as well just wait for the 3-tuner card coming out for the holidays at this rate.

Ohhh look at this crap now on their website:

The Ceton InfiniTV 4 quad-tuner card for digital cable is now available for pre-order! A valid credit card is required at the time of order but will not be charged until your order is shipped. InfiniTV 4 is expected to ship to consumers approximately mid-year of 2010.

This is ridiculous... empty promises... at this rate im sure they'll cancel it again. I might as well just wait for the 3-tuner card coming out for the holidays at this rate.

Mid-Year isn't vastly different from a May 31 shipment date. If you head over to the TGB forums, you can see reps from the company spelling out exactly what snag they have hit and what they're doing to fix the problem.

Dang it! Will buy one or two when released, not a big deal, its not like I've been waiting for these these for years but boy it's going to sweet when we get these up and running!

on a review of the device i read it state's the following

If you're lucky your provider marks everything Copy Freely so you'll be able to play recordings on any Windows 7 PC in the house, or even convert them to playback on just about anything under the sun. Sadly some providers mark everything Copy Once (0x01) which means the content is pretty much locked down.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check how your cable provider marks the content prior to the purchase of a card?

on a review of the device i read it state's the following

Does anyone know if there is a way to check how your cable provider marks the content prior to the purchase of a card?

From what I've read, there's not really a way to find this out unless there's someone else on your cable service that is willing to share with the world. Keep in mind that cable companies are run on a market/regional basis, so Comcrap in Atlanta may be different than Comcrap in Nashville or Seattle.

From what I've read, Time Warner is notorious for marking everything as Copy Once in all regions, but the others tend to be a bit more lax.

I have Time Warner, so I'm planning my cablecard system to be able to cope with the possibilty of all content being flagged Copy Once.... (even just bought a linksys DMA2200).

I've been using an ATI internal cablecard tuner for almost a year now. Never any issues with it. Works great! Can watch all the HD channels on Comcast on my PC when my wife's watching on our regular tv (Samsung 55" LED).....

Setup was easy and Comcast provided the cablecard for free...

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Full HD cable access, digitally, just as if you were using the cable set top box (but without the crappy UI).

Oh so you can get the encrypted stations? (Pretty much everything on my last cable network (EXCEPT for some pay stations I would get for free that my HDHR would pickup). I guess for me it would not make much of a difference then since I'm going with OTA. It's about time something like this came out though.

Yes, with a cablecard you get the encrypted channels. I get everything on Comcast other than OnDemand.

holy thread resurrection bat boy. But inquiring minds must know. Did anyone get one of these. Pros/cons. It's still on the table as an option for our HTPC. but $400 is alot of $.

I got my Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner on Monday! Comcast was here this morning with my CableCard, and everything is working great.

I am now able to record 4 HD channels at once. I am streaming Live and Recorded HD shows to my Media Center Extenders (a 360 and the HP Extender) over my wireless network (.11N) and it's all working better than expected.

My Media Center PC is:

Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600 2.4Ghz)
4 GB of DDR-3 1600
Asus P5G43T-M Pro motherboard with integrated graphics (with HDMI)
2TB WD Caviar Black HD

The system is extremely stable so far. I'm extremely happy with it so far.

Congrats! I hope to be getting mine soon, it looks like they are FINALLY starting to ship in volume. With this tech Windows Media Center I believe becomes the cream of the crop, AppleTV, GoogleTV, etc toys by comparison.

Let me know if you have any questions about getting everything set up.

I've been running my Media Center all day (noon to 4AM ish) streaming up to my HP Extender over my wireless network, without a single problem. The shows I recorded tonight all worked fine and even "archived" automatically to my WHS box while I was streaming HD TV. If the first day is any indication, this is going to be awesome.

Congrats! I hope to be getting mine soon, it looks like they are FINALLY starting to ship in volume. With this tech Windows Media Center I believe becomes the cream of the crop, AppleTV, GoogleTV, etc toys by comparison.

I actually think that GoogleTV complements Media Center very well. I am using GTV with my 360 and it works wonderfully, I am really enjoying it.

I actually think that GoogleTV complements Media Center very well. I am using GTV with my 360 and it works wonderfully, I am really enjoying it.

Glad you like it.:)

But what does GTV offer that you can't get on a Media Center PC?

Sending your viewing habits back to Google to use for targeted advertising.

Sending your viewing habits back to Google to use for targeted advertising.
I, for one, welcome our new Googlian overlords.

But yea, once you've got a cablecard in your htpc, theres nothing remotely special about googleTV

I, for one, welcome our new Googlian overlords.

But yea, once you've got a cablecard in your htpc, theres nothing remotely special about googleTV

+1. CableCard, Blu Ray,DVD, Netflicks, YouTube, whatever, it all works on a PC. I simply don't understand what the set top boxes offer other than perhaps a better big screen and remote control navigation system. But then they don't game though I guess something like OnLive would be a possibility.

+1. CableCard, Blu Ray,DVD, Netflicks, YouTube, whatever, it all works on a PC. I simply don't understand what the set top boxes offer other than perhaps a better big screen and remote control navigation system. But then they don't game though I guess something like OnLive would be a possibility.
I game, but not on my htpc, and I have a remote control set up to the point where 99% of what I do can be controlled with it, so theres no benefit there. The real benefits are price and ease of use. everything "just works" to a much higher degree than an HTPC, which takes a lot of time and trial and error to set up right. This is great for the noobs among us (no offense). Of course, the amount of stuff that "just works" on a STB is less than the amount of stuff that works after (generally) minimal effort on an HTPC. and of course, if its broken on the STB, then its broken until the manufacturer releases a firmware update. A PC usually has multiple different options, and if it doesn't, then you can always hack it or find a kludgey work-around. no such luck on an STB

Glad you like it.:)

But what does GTV offer that you can't get on a Media Center PC?

I would sayi really like the keyboard. It can turn on my 360 from another room. I love how it incorporates the Internet so seamlessly. Again using the keyboard is a joy. Overall I can do things much quicker and easier.

If you want to watch a family guy episode really quick. Or MTV. Or whatever. It's much easier/quicker getting to the end destination using gtv. Plus pip during commercials and getting on the Internet is awesome.

Gtv really does bring the tv and Internet together though. And it's also so nice not having to point the remote at my 360, keyboard has no line of sight requirement. Same with the iPhone app, can just turn everything on and off from another room.

Last edited:
Does this card only work with WMC or do other media center programs like snapstream support it?

Will it work in a WHS machine?

Just and update. I've had mine installed for a week now. So far so good. No problems. No crashes, bad recordings or glitchiness. Everything is stable. I've mostly been using it with my HP Extender over my 5Ghz 11n network. I am extremely pleased.

what kind of hard drives are people who have it using? I'm curious about buffer and recording performance of 4 streams being written at once

I use a single 1.5TB green drive. No issues recording 5 streams (Ceton + Hauppauge QAM) and playing back 2.

Back