CDW Outlet Finds

I didn‘t even know about the outlet . . . We still by from CDW quite a bit but we call up our rep who takes care of us. Also some of the largest Orgs out there buy from CDW. I personally know a lot of Fortune 500 do. Their external website is just MSRP most of the time.
Yeah, I didn't even know about it for about a decade or so. All my reps have sucked and have caused us to lose money ($400 in DOA UPS units that were never picked up or refunded). Yep, a lot of big companies use CDW, but with CDW's issues, I wonder why. If they can't serve small business right, they'll really hose corporations...

I 'think' I snagged a Chromebook tonight. Said In stock. One with the 8 core Mali processor for $66.. I need a laptop for the how to videos in the garage
Nice! I'd call them though and make sure the inventory is allocated to your order. Or you may find out in a week or two that your order was silently cancelled while someone else got the goods. This is why I always order by phone so the order allocation can be done by the agent before I hang up. ;)

I never said you couldn't shop at 7-Eleven. If it's the only place out there, you do what you have to do.
Don't see what you're getting at. They stuff they sell is 90% more legit than most retailers. o_O

CDW is pretty much full retail pricing wise.
If you're buying directly off the site, that may be true for some items. But generally even without my discount, I find the prices competitive for genuine products by an authorized seller--they almost certainly won't be the lowest unless you call and talk to an account rep who can maybe adjust/compete, which we have done in the past. And the outlet just sweetens the deal if what you need is in there. I'm typically just buying from the outlet these days and tossing in other stuff as needed.

If you're buying directly off the site, that may be true for some items. But generally even without my discount, I find the prices competitive for genuine products by an authorized seller--they almost certainly won't be the lowest unless you call and talk to an account rep who can maybe adjust/compete, which we have done in the past. And the outlet just sweetens the deal if what you need is in there. I'm typically just buying from the outlet these days and tossing in other stuff as needed.
I've never found a "deal" in CDW's main site. You're better off going to Newegg, and that's not saying much. But outlet does occasionally have some interesting things.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Nice! I'd call them though and make sure the inventory is allocated to your order. Or you may find out in a week or two that your order was silently cancelled while someone else got the goods. This is why I always order by phone so the order allocation can be done by the agent before I hang up.

I called them, and they basically said yup ok. I had a tracking number an hr or so later

I've never found a "deal" in CDW's main site. You're better off going to Newegg, and that's not saying much. But outlet does occasionally have some interesting things.
So you're not looking in the right place then. What have you looked for before?

Newegg is now another marketplace riddled with fakes and questionable goods, but feel free to shop at 7-Eleven if you want. ;) I prefer to pay a legit price for a legit item from a legit seller.

Newegg is now another marketplace riddled with fakes and questionable goods, but feel free to shop at 7-Eleven if you want. ;) I prefer to pay a legit price for a legit item from a legit seller.
Not sure if I'd say "riddled with fakes and questionable goods" (there's a lawsuit in that, on either side really...). And CDW isn't a miracle company where suppliers aren't allowed to give them lemons. Again, I wouldn't shop at newegg (hope I made that clear). But I do look for deals and CDW (non outlet) isn't where I'm going to find that.

But I do look for deals and CDW (non outlet) isn't where I'm going to find that.
So the only thing I can say to that is your definition of a deal is not what you'll find on any primarily b2b like CDW. And if you know this, I really don't see why you're posting about it here. You can't find deals on CDW--okay, and you're probably not the only one. It's a free market place and you can shop at whatever 7-Eleven you want to.

you need to have a business account...

prices you see on cdw.com is not actual prices people with business account pay.
Probably. I wasn't thinking of Hardforum as business site though. Makes me wonder about a lot of posts here....

Probably. I wasn't thinking of Hardforum as business site though. Makes me wonder about a lot of posts here....
There are a lot of people who work in industry here, which is why there's a lot of good info here. There are also a lot of "just enthusiasts" and "average joes". If you aren't sure which you're speaking to, and you think it matters, it doesn't hurt to ask. Most are honest enough to admit if they have some bias, even if they wont spell it out for you.

you need to have a business account...

prices you see on cdw.com is not actual prices people with business account pay.
That's incorrect for sure as I know others pay what I do even though I have a business account.

It depends. I don't get a discount more than like 50 cents off stuff normally and I've had a business account for decades now. I think most people are paying pretty close to the prices listed. There's not much markup in a lot of IT stuff these days.

CDW regularly sells b2c, it's just not their bread and butter like say, b&h or best buy.

Just because a company's primary revenue stream is from one source or another doesn't change what they do if sales are available to everyone. I buy stuff for business all the time from Best Buy too, but that doesn't mean I can't because they mainly focus on the consumer market. Purchasing and sourcing anything is about meeting a supply with a demand, and this day and age, it really matters less where this supply is sourced from.

There are a lot of people who work in industry here, which is why there's a lot of good info here. There are also a lot of "just enthusiasts" and "average joes". If you aren't sure which you're speaking to, and you think it matters, it doesn't hurt to ask. Most are honest enough to admit if they have some bias, even if they wont spell it out for you.
I've found most people on here very transparent, and that's also why there's a lot of great info here as you mentioned because a lot of business stuff carries over to high end enthusiast and vice versa. (y)

Yeah the CDW outlet has good deals (as you would expect or hope from "outlet" items) and the regular prices kinda vary all over the place, some are probably competitive, some definitely not, depending on what you look for... but that's pretty normal. That's pretty common for b2b-focused retailers, really.

I'm actually a bit surprised (per SamirD) that they don't offer much of a discount for b2b purchases, because other b2b retailers like Insight definitely do, and some of those discounts are pretty significant compared to the price listed publicly on the site.

Yeah the CDW outlet has good deals (as you would expect or hope from "outlet" items) and the regular prices kinda vary all over the place, some are probably competitive, some definitely not, depending on what you look for... but that's pretty normal. That's pretty common for b2b-focused retailers, really.

I'm actually a bit surprised (per SamirD) that they don't offer much of a discount for b2b purchases, because other b2b retailers like Insight definitely do, and some of those discounts are pretty significant compared to the price listed publicly on the site.
Yep, you nailed it. :)

Oh, I'm sure other people get bigger discounts, but we're just small business and don't have a lot of spend (even less thanks to the outlet :D), so we probably are just on a really low discount tier. We used to buy a lot from Insight too, but they've got a different strategy than CDW that didn't work as well for us, so we don't even look there anymore even though our very first laptop, a Chicony 386sx with a whopping 40MB hard drive was from there. It actually still booted about 20 years back when I was using it and physically heard the hard drive crash. :(

Reactions: xx0xx
like this

I don’t like the marketplaces anymore than most others but it is also so easy to filter by retailer that it just adds a step.

I don’t like the marketplaces anymore than most others but it is also so easy to filter by retailer that it just adds a step.
I don't mind the one-click filter either, but most of these marketplace sites are trying to be shady so that in itself for me is a no-go.

And I saw this on JVC's web site recently that pretty much sums up why I don't look at marketplaces for new items:
WARNING

Counterfeit JVC products are being sold within the United States. These products do NOT perform to JVC specifications and are not covered by any warranty from JVC. We are working with US Customs and other organizations to stop the import and sale of counterfeit products in the United States. To ensure the product that you are buying is Genuine JVC we recommend purchasing only from an authorized JVC dealer.

Special Note regarding Marketplaces and Auction Sites: Many of the JVC products listed on Auction Sites and Marketplaces are sold by people not authorized by JVC. Many of these products are counterfeit. JVC will not honor warranties on counterfeit products.
If it's a bad enough problem for them to plaster this on their web site, it's a seriously big problem that I don't want to have to deal with.

As usual I was looking for something else and ran across some deals. :)

Lots of Chromebooks (and other chrome os-powered stuff) for well under $100 with the cheapest <$50 as of this post:
https://www.cdw.com/search/?key=chr...ch-_-Search+All&SortBy=PriceAsc&maxrecords=72

Now a lot of these seem to have 'missing parts' so I'd call in and see what's missing. A missing Dell power supply on a $45 Dell is easy enough to still be a deal, but a missing power supply on a $100 Acer might be harder to come by and quickly be a hassle versus a deal. (y)

Found something else pretty interesting too--MSI Modern 15 laptop that's normally $800+ currently sitting at $530. I think there's room for another drop and there's one more of them in stock so you can see what they bottom at and then get the next when it hits that final price, or even just take them where they sit for $200+ off the street price:
https://www.cdw.com/search/Computer...ch-_-Search+All&SortBy=PriceAsc&maxrecords=72

Enjoy!

I like my MSI Modern 15, runs well, especially if you don't care about gaming (or only light/indie gaming). i7 with plenty of RAM and NVME storage is very snappy. Those are good prices too. Been running Linux (ZorinOS) on mine without a problem.

Note for anyone that wants to use Linux on these: boot from a smaller USB linux install drive, like 32-64GB. For some reason these MSI models don't like booting from my external SSD (256GB) with Ventoy on it. Others online have mentioned this problem too. Also you're stuck with UEFI, but more distros support that now than they used to. Does not allow you to enable legacy boot

A couple of neat Apple things cheap.

I already have one of these, but a genuine Magsafe 85w power adapter for $21+ship, and they have two. This is about as low as they go and mine that I got a year back or so arrived in literal open box condition--the unit's plastic wasn't even unwrapped. :)
https://www.cdw.com/product/apple-magsafe-85w-power-adapter/6854367?pfm=srh
https://www.cdw.com/product/apple-magsafe-85w-power-adapter/6887348?pfm=srh

What looks like a nice keyboard case for the 3/4th gen ipad for $25+ship and seems to usually be much more than that and they have a second one too that's currently at $45:
https://www.cdw.com/product/logitec...d-pro-12.9-inch-3rd-and-4th-g/6863568?pfm=srh
https://www.cdw.com/product/logitec...d-pro-12.9-inch-3rd-and-4th-g/6893502?pfm=srh

They also have one for the 1st/2nd gen 11in for $30:
https://www.cdw.com/product/logitec...ad-pro-11-inch-1st-2nd-and-3r/6880354?pfm=srh

Need a stand for your ipad or other tablet? This professional level stand is heavily discounted at $27 as it's usually $100+ and nearly that much used. I don't think there will be another drop on this one either:
https://www.cdw.com/product/cta-heavy-duty-security-floor-stand-cart-for-tablet/6857018?pfm=srh

Enjoy!

I'm looking to pick up a Surface tablet to use for remote desktop in the next few months. Anyone know what these are bottoming out for on the outlet?

Okay, this one is just sick and should work in non-ecc applications as well (if that even exists)--32GB DDR4 ECC UDIMMs for a ridiculous $29/ea. :eek: And there's over 150 in stock as of this post:
https://www.cdw.com/product/edgetech-32gb-ddr4-3200mhz-ecc-udimm-server-memory/7111082?enkwrd=udimm

This is as low as I believe they will go, and I don't think they'll even be around for another drop moreless drop again. The caveat is that I've not been able to find verified specs on it, but it seems to be DDR4-3200 1.2v dual rank CL22 from other companies that stock the same part number.

If someone wants to be really nice and give me a pair of these for hooking them up with the deal, feel free to pm me. (y) (I'm not sure if they'll work in the barebone ec200a I have so I've been still on the fence about getting a pair.)

You know the drill on ordering so I'd phone it in while you can. Enjoy!

Okay, this one is just sick and should work in non-ecc applications as well (if that even exists)--32GB DDR4 ECC UDIMMs for a ridiculous $29/ea. :eek: And there's over 150 in stock as of this post:
https://www.cdw.com/product/edgetech-32gb-ddr4-3200mhz-ecc-udimm-server-memory/7111082?enkwrd=udimm

This is as low as I believe they will go, and I don't think they'll even be around for another drop moreless drop again. The caveat is that I've not been able to find verified specs on it, but it seems to be DDR4-3200 1.2v dual rank CL22 from other companies that stock the same part number.

If someone wants to be really nice and give me a pair of these for hooking them up with the deal, feel free to pm me. (y) (I'm not sure if they'll work in the barebone ec200a I have so I've been still on the fence about getting a pair.)

Woah. Can these be used in a standard desktop setup that uses DDR4 or are they purely for server setups?

Woah. Can these be used in a standard desktop setup that uses DDR4 or are they purely for server setups?

From a bit of googling to confirm, UDIMM's are what 99% of desktop PC's use for memory, just means unregistered/unbuffered DIMM. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a desktop setup. I'm so curious, I'm checking my server mobo to see if it supports 32gb DIMM's :p Dunno when we'll ever see new 32gb DDR4 DIMM's going for such a price while they're still this relevant.

Edit: The only thing that gives me pause is I'm not super familiar with EdgeTech so I don't know how good/bad they are.

Edit 2: Damn, doesn't seem either my main system nor my server hardware support 32gb DIMM's (at least according to the manual). Not sure it's worth the risk, hmm...

Last edited:

Damn you (or ty?) Samir! Made my first impulse tech purchase in months :) , hard to say no to 68 shipped for 2 x 32 GB of RAM that will likely do over 3200 with voltage bumps. And seems like most X570/R5XXX should support it:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045186/

Holy Shit! I called and ordered 4. 107 bucks for 128 gigs of ECC Ram! Thank You! You're awesome! They gave em to me for 26.88 each... What an amazeballs deal!

From a bit of googling to confirm, UDIMM's are what 99% of desktop PC's use for memory, just means unregistered/unbuffered DIMM. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a desktop setup. I'm so curious, I'm checking my server mobo to see if it supports 32gb DIMM's :p Dunno when we'll ever see new 32gb DDR4 DIMM's going for such a price while they're still this relevant.

Edit: The only thing that gives me pause is I'm not super familiar with EdgeTech so I don't know how good/bad they are.

Edit 2: Damn, doesn't seem either my main system nor my server hardware support 32gb DIMM's (at least according to the manual). Not sure it's worth the risk, hmm...
If CDW is carrying them, they're going to be legit. EdgeTech is a pretty big brand for memory for at least a decade now.

As cheap as these are and as extreme as the demand is, I'd try them and if they don't work I'm sure you could sell them and get your money back.

So tempted! But I'm not sure if I've got anywhere to put it, so that'll make this cheap ram very expensive ;)

Back