CCENT/CCNA [H] study group

Woot! Passed ICND2. Now I'm a CCNA. Feels good. Thanks to you guys for your help with questions. Now time to start CCNA Voice

What's the generally accepted best training material/method? I just finished setting up my lab and I'm looking into the actual educational aspect now.

Actually just finished building out my lab to. Wendell Odom has a set of books that I picked up and INE (a training facility) is offering a streaming version of their bootcamp for free. My tentative plan is to watch the video, read corresponding chapter, lab/quiz.

Woot! Passed ICND2. Now I'm a CCNA. Feels good. Thanks to you guys for your help with questions. Now time to start CCNA Voice

congratulations!

how was your experience with the test?

Easy/hard?
lots of time left/barely scraped by?
clear questions/some ambiguety?

how was your experience with the test?

Easy/hard?
lots of time left/barely scraped by?
clear questions/some ambiguety?

I felt it was good. I found it fairly easy, but I knew the material pretty good.
I had about 30 mins left, took me an hour between getting in the room, writing the test, doing the survey, and getting back out of the room.
The questions were clear enough for me to understand. I'd make sure to know IPv6 and Frame Relay well as well as STP/RSTP.

Hi everyone,

I am commited and have decided to start studying for CCENT. I just had a quick question about hardware and software for my lab.

Can you recommend me some equipment/software that would be a good start?

Hi everyone,

I am commited and have decided to start studying for CCENT. I just had a quick question about hardware and software for my lab.

Can you recommend me some equipment/software that would be a good start?

How far are you planning to go? CCNA and beyond or just CCENT? If just CCENT, get a couple 2600 series routers with WICs and some serial cables and a couple 2950 switches and a bunch of crossover cables and go from there. If you plan on going further with Cisco, I'd recommend a couple 3550 or higher switches (with POE if the price difference is minimal) and you could use the same 2600 routers or even go with 1800 or 2800 series routers. If you go with the 3550+ and the 1800,2800 setup, it'll be good for CCNP as well and you can build on it as you go up.

Hello future and fellow CCNA'ers

I am able to write my CCNA exam, but I would like to review the content and would like to purchase the books off amazon.
I have found a the routing, switching and wan books available for good prices but they are listed as either companion guide or exploration guide

Any ideas what version of the books would be best to read?
I am beginning my 5th semester which prepares us for the CCNP by teaching advanced routing/switching/VOIP.

Thank you!

Super late to this party but I blame myself.

On September 24, 2011, I took and passed CompTIA Network+ and some events in my life put certifications on the back burner. So I have revamped my certification road map and started 1/17/2013 for ICND1 and ICND2 using the CBT nuggets. Right now my goal is CCNA by May '13 (4 months).

I have a Cisco 881-k9 ISR and a Catalyst 3560 switch for labbing. I am also going to be purchasing the CCNA Cert Library From Odom: http://www.amazon.com/640-802-Offic...22&sr=8-3&keywords=ccna+certification+library

Based on my prior Network+ experience, should ICND1 be quite a bit easier for me? I have no working knowledge of Cisco equipment, so I know most of ICND1 is going to be review, but I may get stuck a bit with the Cisco equipment.

My career goal is to be CCNP realistically, but I will go as far as I can. Networking is where I want to be and Cisco is where I'm taking my focus.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey all.
So been a slacker with trying to get my CCENT however I think I'm getting a bit closer to being ready for the test.

I've got me a lab (2x 2950, 3x2621XM and all the cables). I find the lab useful however once I found packet tracer I haven't really used it that much. I like the ability to add whatever into the packet tracer and it's awesome.

Gone through the Odom ICND1 book front to back and doing the Boson tests now. Are the Boson test questions close to what the actual ICND1 exam would be?

Also picked up that groupon for the ITU (http://www.ituniversityonline.com/) Cisco course, the videos are nice and a bit of good information in there but it's lacking in a lot of areas and I'm glad I'm not relying on that alone or there would be no way I could pass the ICND1 exam. Has anyone else used this service? Their practice tests are not nearly as difficult as Boson. for $99 it was ok, but I feel sorry for someone who spent the $4k on those courses. :(

I'm thinking next week for trying for my exam....Boson's practice tests are making me think twice though. The post above mine mentions Network+, if I can get through CCENT could the Network+ be doable as well based off the same knowledge?

Karan, how did you like the Odom books? I'm looking at the CCNA cert library offered by Cisco Press.

I haven't read any of the other books and I did get that CCNA cert pack (ICDN1 and 2) as well so I have the ICND2 book to read. There is a lot of info in this book, some parts are a bit dry but he does get his point across. His "magic number" way of subnetting is excellent. I've seen some that are ridiculous.

Gah, mine is the 2nd edition though....grrr, wonder what changes there are between the 2nd and 3rd editions.
Since the 2nd edition was published in 2007 is it worth it to get new copies? Ugh, another $125...

Last edited:
Not sure, I think it was changed to 3rd edition to better reflect the testing structure. I think I saw some people complained that 2nd edition practice stuff was a bit different than the CCNA exam.

Second week of April I am attending an Infosec boot camp (paid via my company) to get my CCNA, CCNA Security and CCDA (already have the CCENT)

Gonna have a hard time finding wall space for all these certs :D

I am pursuing the CCNA and wanted to know what you guys thought of the CCNA kits you can purchase on ebay that have a few 2950 switches, 2610 routers, frame relay, etc. Does anyone have experience purchasing something like that? It looks like the most important thing is to make sure everything has 12.4 loaded and is from a reputable dealer.

EDIT: Found a good resource and thought I'd share.

http://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-lab-suggestions/

Last edited:
kits are overpriced crap, build your own lab and save money

even better use GNS3 to simulate the routers and just buy a few switches on ebay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could use PacketTracer to at least pass the CCNA tests (maybe not the others).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could use PacketTracer to at least pass the CCNA tests (maybe not the others).

With a little extra book study, sure. It gets you through the basics enough to pass the CCNA, but no way it would for CCNP.

There are others that have used PT for studies and passed with that being their only 'hands-on'. It works fine. Not as in depth or fully featured as the real thing (or GNS3), but it definitely is enough for the CCNA. There are a few things where PT is supposed to have problems with, but they aren't major enough that you can't get through with reading and understanding the material.

His "magic number" way of subnetting is excellent. I've seen some that are ridiculous.

I tried several different methods for subnetting. I knew the concept, and I could do it, it just took a while. After a few different people trying to explain it, it just clicked. I could do it easily in my head. I don't know which method worked, as it wasn't really a conscience thing. It was a 'here's the number, and here's the answer'. I will have to think about it, but the math is just done in my head. More of a habit (similar to 100+100 = 200 - you just know it). I have to think and subtract and whatnot, but it just works.

So, if a method doesn't work. Try a different one. Then practice with it. If that doesn't work as good as you want, try a different method. Eventually, either through practice or some method, it will just start working for you (maybe). It's like other math concepts, some people can pick them up real quick, other people need a different point of view.

Subnetting is supposedly one of the most difficult topics for the CCNA, and it is until you can master it. Then, it's just another simple topic. Once you learn it, you know it and it's easy. CCNA tests big on it (and not just general 'what subnet' questions - they are part of the bigger question).

I tried several different methods for subnetting. I knew the concept, and I could do it, it just took a while. After a few different people trying to explain it, it just clicked. I could do it easily in my head. I don't know which method worked, as it wasn't really a conscience thing. It was a 'here's the number, and here's the answer'. I will have to think about it, but the math is just done in my head. More of a habit (similar to 100+100 = 200 - you just know it). I have to think and subtract and whatnot, but it just works.

So, if a method doesn't work. Try a different one. Then practice with it. If that doesn't work as good as you want, try a different method. Eventually, either through practice or some method, it will just start working for you (maybe). It's like other math concepts, some people can pick them up real quick, other people need a different point of view.

Subnetting is supposedly one of the most difficult topics for the CCNA, and it is until you can master it. Then, it's just another simple topic. Once you learn it, you know it and it's easy. CCNA tests big on it (and not just general 'what subnet' questions - they are part of the bigger question).

Yep. I tried a couple different ways and actually found sort of a blend that just one day "clicked" and it was easy from then on.

Hey all.
So been a slacker with trying to get my CCENT however I think I'm getting a bit closer to being ready for the test.

I've got me a lab (2x 2950, 3x2621XM and all the cables). I find the lab useful however once I found packet tracer I haven't really used it that much. I like the ability to add whatever into the packet tracer and it's awesome.

Gone through the Odom ICND1 book front to back and doing the Boson tests now. Are the Boson test questions close to what the actual ICND1 exam would be?

Also picked up that groupon for the ITU (http://www.ituniversityonline.com/) Cisco course, the videos are nice and a bit of good information in there but it's lacking in a lot of areas and I'm glad I'm not relying on that alone or there would be no way I could pass the ICND1 exam. Has anyone else used this service? Their practice tests are not nearly as difficult as Boson. for $99 it was ok, but I feel sorry for someone who spent the $4k on those courses. :(

I'm thinking next week for trying for my exam....Boson's practice tests are making me think twice though. The post above mine mentions Network+, if I can get through CCENT could the Network+ be doable as well based off the same knowledge?

I picked up the Groupon as well. I haven't started to study yet but I am planning on going for CCENT and then CCNA. My goal is to have CCENT by April 30, 2013.

For $100 I'm sure it will be worth it. After looking at their website, I couldn't imagine paying any more for something from them. It's like we're back in the 90s! :eek:

Any good tips for CCNP study material? I've been looking over CBT nuggets but was wondering if anything supplementary that is particularly awesome. I have some of the concepts from my JNCIS-ENT cert, but really haven't used any sort of dynamic routing other than looking up default routes and small lab environments.

Hey All:

I'm looking to get my CCNA and my job fully supports it. They already "sent" me to a 5-day online course for the CCNA Accelerated program. We use all Cisco equipment (2960s and 3750s) on our site and I have configured them from scratch and deployed them. So I do have an understanding of the IOS environment and configuration.

However, I usually psych myself out during testing and therefore am going to do the two part roadmap for the CCNA instead of the one massive test.

On March 27th, I'm looking to take my ICND1 for my CCENT. I'm looking for some advise from those that have taken it or know about it on what study materials are effective/most helpful?

I have books from the course I took but they aren't classified as ICND1 and ICND2, thye are a group of four books lumped together as Accelerated Part 1-4.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

So I've been mandated by my company to start getting these certs...I have no idea where to begin!

I started browsing Amazon for books...

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=379347011

Which ones should I start off with for the CCNA exam? Would these 2 suffice along with using GNS3?

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) by Wendell Odom
CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) by Wendell Odom

So I've been mandated by my company to start getting these certs...I have no idea where to begin!

I started browsing Amazon for books...

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=379347011

Which ones should I start off with for the CCNA exam? Would these 2 suffice along with using GNS3?

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) by Wendell Odom
CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) by Wendell Odom
Those are the ones I used, along with packet tracer and a little bit of GNS3. Most of my work was done in packet tracer, it's a pretty good simulation software.

Just so you know, i used the second edition of those books, and I had to read them critically questioning every single sentence and every ip address because there was a REDICULOUS amount of errors in the book (especially the chapter quizes/questions). The errata they provided on their website didn't fix all of them either.

I don't know how the third editions hold up.

Those are the ones I used, along with packet tracer and a little bit of GNS3. Most of my work was done in packet tracer, it's a pretty good simulation software.

Just so you know, i used the second edition of those books, and I had to read them critically questioning every single sentence and every ip address because there was a REDICULOUS amount of errors in the book (especially the chapter quizes/questions). The errata they provided on their website didn't fix all of them either.

I don't know how the third editions hold up.

Thanks for the quick response.

starting my ccent training. Got a lab set up at work (3x 3550 XLs, 1 2960G, 1 router)

Hell I even have an unused catalyst 4006 to play with

At home im running just GNS3 for routers.

Just here for the love. Hopefully things go smooth. I HAD my CCNA back in 2004 and let it expire. Relearning everything with the aid of CBTnuggets/trainsignal. Plan for my CCNA by August. CCNP with a year or two. CCIE, who knows but I want it.

Time to get serious.

Passed my CCNP Switch last weekend, that leaves TSHOOT to go and I can work on my CCNA Security then!

So I'm starting off reading the Lammle CCNA Book...finishing reading thru Chapter 1 and 2 a few times. In the Chapter 2 practice test there are some questions about the different Ethernet cable types...there are 18 different cable types in total in the chapter...is it even worth stressing over memorizing these types? How important is memorization of things like this (atleast within the first 3 chapter types) for the CCNA exam?

So I'm starting off reading the Lammle CCNA Book...finishing reading thru Chapter 1 and 2 a few times. In the Chapter 2 practice test there are some questions about the different Ethernet cable types...there are 18 different cable types in total in the chapter...is it even worth stressing over memorizing these types? How important is memorization of things like this (atleast within the first 3 chapter types) for the CCNA exam?

Not really. Know what coax and CAT3/5/5e/6 is. Know what a hub is. Learn the difference between a hub and a switch network. Know what broadcasts are and how they work.

I got a great free site referred to me today.

Visualland.net

Its really good to recap on stuff that might be a but fuzzy in your mind.
Im on my last course for CCNA before I take the cert.

Just refreshed my CCENT with a 925 and passed the CCNA a few minutes ago. Moving onto CCNA: Security and taking that test on Sunday (going through an Infosec Intense Bootcamp program). CCDA follows afterwards and I'll be loaded for bear!

Chapter 4... subnetting basics....he refers to "subnetting in your head", however I cannot subnet without writing out the "formula" on paper, I guess I must be mildly stupid....will I be at a huge disadvantage during the test if I need to write out a table for it. :(

Chapter 4... subnetting basics....he refers to "subnetting in your head", however I cannot subnet without writing out the "formula" on paper, I guess I must be mildly stupid....will I be at a huge disadvantage during the test if I need to write out a table for it. :(

I was allowed time right before the test to write out anything from my memory onto a whiteboard. I just wrote out the subnet tables for quick reference, my proctor said it was ok. Others from a different forum suggested I do that, even for future ccnp level tests too if allowed

Do enough subnetting questions and you can figure out most of it in your head. Before taking my ICND1, I did 500 questions from subnettingquestions.com and about 300 from an app I have on my Nexus 7. Most subnetting questions I was able to do under 20 seconds, and mostly in my head. Initially, I learned subnetting from CBTNuggets video. It's great to show you how to do it, but once you do a lot of them, you will discover yourself shortcuts that you can take.

I was allowed time right before the test to write out anything from my memory onto a whiteboard. I just wrote out the subnet tables for quick reference, my proctor said it was ok. Others from a different forum suggested I do that, even for future ccnp level tests too if allowed

At my test center, I took 2 dry erase boards, wrote subnet table on one. But I used my "exam time" since they said that I cannot write anything on the board before actual test starts. Was able to do that and complete the test in 45 minutes (ICND1).

Back