• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cassette Tape Deck digitizing question

Happy Hopping

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
8,518
If I have an old cassette audio tape, and there is something in there that I like to digitize and put it in a sound Wave file for the purpose of MS theme. How would I connect from the output of the tape deck to ??? on my sound card?

And is there any good, free software that can sample the cassette audio tape voice for me to record it in a Wave file. If there is no free software, what's a good software for the above application?
 
Cassette line out > sound card line in. You'll probably need a cable like this.

You can use Goldwave (shareware) or Audacity (freeware) to capture and edit the audio.

You will probably have to adjust the recording levels with your soundcard's control panel or windows volume (advanced) properties.

This Microsoft KB article demonstrates the idea using media player, but media player won't allow you to edit and svae in the formats you want.
 
Hey, thanks a lot. I got that cable from my HiMD, and it seems everything else is free.

By the way, what about an old software called Audio Analyst, any good?
 
Happy Hopping said:
Hey, thanks a lot. I got that cable from my HiMD, and it seems everything else is free.

By the way, what about an old software called Audio Analyst, any good?

Are you talking about Audio Catalyst? If so... I think they were bought by Real Networks a while back. I would use Audacity like agent420 suggested
 
THank you both. I'll go with your recommendation. That audio catalyst was quite old, I had it remove from my last computer and I haven't use it since.
 
If there is an old cassette tape, say a talking tape, , that does not have it in CD, and I want to dupe that entire caseette into CD or DVD, chapter by chapter.

How would you separate different chapters of the cassette into corresponding different track in an audio CD?
 
Two choices:
-Record a chapter, stop recording and tape, save/close file, make a new file, begin again
-Record it all at once and split it after, only do this if you have a lot of memory and/or the tape is pretty short
 
Just record it as one big track and "virtually" split it into separate tracks with Nero when you burn it.
 
Back
Top