Captain America: Civil War Opens To $181.8M In US, $678.4M Globally

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
The only thing I find more disturbing than the amount of money Disney is making is how they are making that much but some of their movies continue to feature cinematography that belongs in a TV show.

The critically acclaimed superhero film continues Disney domination, between Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Force Awakens (the movie opened in late December but stayed a huge player in the first part of the new year), The Jungle Book and Zootopia. In terms of opening-weekend rankings, Civil War shot past Iron Man 3 ($174 million) to rank No. 5 behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($248 million), Jurassic World ($208.8 million), The Avengers ($207.4 million) and Age of Ultron ($191.3 million), not accounting for inflation. Put another way, Disney claims four of the five top openings (Jurassic World was released by Universal).

Resources, marketing, distribution, etc.

It's how many things are pushed, and have been for decades of course.

I'm surprised it made so much more money worldwide than in the U.S. alone.

I always considered "Captain America" to be a franchise only interesting to U.S. audiences. I grew up in Sweden, and had never heard of Captain America at all until returning to the U.S.

It is interesting that 4 of the top grossing summer film openings are all Disney (this one was fifth largest). They definitely have their game down. Jurassic World is the only non-Disney film in the top 5.

I always considered "Captain America" to be a franchise only interesting to U.S. audiences. I grew up in Sweden, and had never heard of Captain America at all until returning to the U.S.
Neither had I. TBH, in terms of superheros, the most well known ones in the US (pre-MCU) were probably just Batman and Superman - both DC. Maybe Spiderman, maybe X-men (just Wolverine - which many probably just remembered as Hugh Jackman, not Wolverine).

Captain America and the others rose up on generally well thought-out films that weren't too afraid of taking risks. Despite all of the claims that "all superhero movies are alike," and complaints about "villain of the week," they've managed (as a whole) to keep just ahead of the curve. Now we are at "Phase 3," on the 13th(?) film. That's more than the Harry Potter and Twilight franchises combined.

The point is, even among comic book fans, these weren't really the a-list superstar superheros. All of this makes Batman v Superman even more disappointing.

This was also a Captain America movie in name only. It heavily featured all of the Marvel franchises an served as an Avengers 2.5 which I'm sure helped with it's appeal.

This is one of the few movies I will see this year. Saw Star Wars, plan on Capt. America. I think Dr. Strange is out this year? If so, I might see it. Darn it, the other Star Wars movies (Rogue Force?).
I read Captain America comic books as a kid. I also remember watching a few made-for-tv movies (which are really bad...I tried to rewatch them and couldn't do it).

I give the superhero movies lots of leeway because my dishwasher has a throbbing, rock-hard, unbending pillar of justice for half the characters and seeing these in theaters makes her happy. I was glad when this one was over. Mostly boring action, bland plot. I went in with low expectations and came out disappointed.

Last edited:
I don't know, this one movie was not as great as the other marvel movies. The action was uncomfortably protracted and the character interactions were wooden... I really wanted to like this movie but I just didn't really feel all that entertained.

I give the superhero movies lots of leeway because my dishwasher has a hardon for half the characters and seeing these in theaters makes her happy. I was glad when this one was over. Mostly boring action, bland plot. I went in with low expectations and came out disappointed.

Wouldn't the correct term be lady-boner? Unless you married someone that was trans and they in fact have a legit hardon. Just bustin' your chops :)

I don't know, this one movie was not as great as the other marvel movies. The action was uncomfortably protracted and the character interactions were wooden... I really wanted to like this movie but I just didn't really feel all that entertained.

Some of the action sequences were very entertaining but the major plot seemed very forced. You're trying to tell me that Tony Stark didn't know innocent people were dying while the Avengers were in very populated places "kicking ass"? The man has a genius level intellect and this never crossed his mind until he met a pissed off mother? Really?

I liked the subplot with Zemo better but it kind of felt like the whole movie really doesn't need to exist in terms of the continuity. Everything pretty much ends where it began. It was really just a film to intro Spider-Man and Black Panther for their solo outings later.

At least Stan Lee got a great cameo in this one.

Some of the action sequences were very entertaining but the major plot seemed very forced. You're trying to tell me that Tony Stark didn't know innocent people were dying while the Avengers were in very populated places "kicking ass"? The man has a genius level intellect and this never crossed his mind until he met a pissed off mother? Really?

I liked the subplot with Zemo better but it kind of felt like the whole movie really doesn't need to exist in terms of the continuity. Everything pretty much ends where it began. It was really just a film to intro Spider-Man and Black Panther for their solo outings later.

Yeah, pretty much this. Although I enjoyed this film a lot more than Age of Ultron. I could see why the UN was getting pissed off with the Avengers, it was alright when they were coming together to save the world against aliens, but sticking their noses into domestic issues concerning Crossbones and his team of mercs? Yeah, they could've used some oversight there.

And Spider-man was great, I'm hoping Marvel will still have a good deal of creative control for his solo movie, I could picture Sony butchering it. It's too bad Spider-man played such a minor role in the movie, he was heads and shoulders above the other characters. And his aunt was so hot.

Saw it. Loved it. Not as good as Winter Soldier, though. Because Robert Downey Jr. was in it they apparently had to give him more face time to justify his insane salary. While it did feel more like an Avengers movie the story was still extremely well written, unlike the Avengers main series. History is still correct in that if you want to see a good movie with a good story in the Marvel franchise from Disney, go see Captain America.

At least Stan Lee got a great cameo in this one.
It goes to Tony's flawed character. It didn't affect him until he was personally involved with the scene at the beginning by the elevator. This is a common theme and point of conflict throughout the whole series going back to the first Iron Man film. Just because this is used as a jumping off point it doesn't explain his entire motivation. The rest of it is inferred from the rest of the series because you can only do so much in the timeframe of a single movie.

It fits perfectly into the continuity of the existing film universe, in my opinion, and we won't know how it affects the continuing timeline until the subsequent movies are released.
This is one of the few movies I will see this year. Saw Star Wars, plan on Capt. America. I think Dr. Strange is out this year? If so, I might see it. Darn it, the other Star Wars movies (Rogue Force?).
I read Captain America comic books as a kid. I also remember watching a few made-for-tv movies (which are really bad...I tried to rewatch them and couldn't do it).
Dr. Strange comes out in November this year.
Yeah, pretty much this. Although I enjoyed this film a lot more than Age of Ultron. I could see why the UN was getting pissed off with the Avengers, it was alright when they were coming together to save the world against aliens, but sticking their noses into domestic issues concerning Crossbones and his team of mercs? Yeah, they could've used some oversight there.

And Spider-man was great, I'm hoping Marvel will still have a good deal of creative control for his solo movie, I could picture Sony butchering it. It's too bad Spider-man played such a minor role in the movie, he was heads and shoulders above the other characters. And his aunt was so hot.
Yeah, my skepticism about the new Spider-man was evaporated after his involvement in this film. His aunt was played by Marisa Tomei, who has gotten better looking with age... Granted, I'm sure she has had some help.

Despite what the writers and directors were saying in the weeks leading up to the release of this movie I don't think Spider-Man was meant to be in this. They found a way to bring him into the movie after the deal was done but he wasn't a key part of the story or anything. It could have gone very bad for them if they hadn't found the absolute perfect actor to play the role though. He sold the character perfectly in less than 20 mins of screen time.

And from what has been said about the deal with Sony, one of the main sticking points they had to get past was creative control. Marvel wasn't going to do the deal unless they had total creative control over the character. Hopefully they nail it just as well in the standalone Spider-Man flick as they did in this one.

Back