Can't find Scythe Gentle Typhoons anywhere

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
Whats going on? Discontinued?

Been trying to get some AP-15s for a couple months now. Out of stock everywhere. No response from Scythe to emails....

being discontinued? danm, I hope it's because they're making a new revision of the design, I mean a lot of ppl fukkin' love 'em, lol.

Sold out. Add to cart and you get this:

The Scythe D1225C12B5AP-15 Gentle Typhoon 120mm Silent Case Fan 1850RPM 58CFM 28dBA is not currently available. Please contact us for availability of this item.

I believed they are shifting to the higher rpm sector or temporary stop making the lower rpm sector here.

Last edited:
The last 2 times I ordered GTs from NCIX they where back ordered. The first time, a few months back I had them 7 days later. The more recent, <2 weeks ago, they shipped the next day, and the back order listing never changed!!

If you want to gamble, I'd try NCIX.com, or NCIXUS.com

P.S.

For Canadian customers only: Price match them!!! You can get them for $12ish if you PM them.

Damn so this is why I can't find anywhere in Australia selling the 1850rpm models :( Maybe I should just buy the 1150rpm that's still in stock then.

The last 2 times I ordered GTs from NCIX they where back ordered. The first time, a few months back I had them 7 days later. The more recent, <2 weeks ago, they shipped the next day, and the back order listing never changed!!

If you want to gamble, I'd try NCIX.com, or NCIXUS.com

P.S.

For Canadian customers only: Price match them!!! You can get them for $12ish if you PM them.
You get them even cheaper if you have PP ;)

Called compsource and they are out of stock as well.

Had the S-Flex 21Fs and Gs. The 1850 GTs are quieters than than the S-Flex F fans by alot.

I might list a few 1450 rpm versions up for sale soon. I'll let ya know if you are interested.

I saw a PDF from Nidec that said they were being replaced with an updated model. But that was 6 months ago, so idk.

I just bought 8 from Koolertek last week. Prices aren't the greatest, but they do seem to be about the only place with any right now.

If you don't mind the price San Ace's 9S1212x401 series of fans put up a great fight against the gentle typhoons. I bought a few to test against my GTs and I liked the San Ace's better. They moved more air and had more static pressure at the same noise level. At the same rpm they're louder than the GT, and the pitch of the sound is more noticable, but even when they're turned down to the same noise level as the GT they seemed to push more air.

Heard back from Scythe USA. Not discontinued, should be widely available in October sometime.

Jesus Christ..........this is the FIRST place you should look for cooling supplies..........

knuckleheads..........http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scge120mmsic.html

Not the AP-15, but the 13 is is stock........http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._-_1150_RPM_D1225C12B3AP-13.html?tl=g36c15s60 here as well, and they have others.

Sidewinder is always my first look.

Yeah its the AP15s for which most of us are on the look out, if not then the AP14, at least I am ;)

i've been wanting 2 to replace my H70 stock fans with......good to know they will be available in October.

From what I'm told, you may be waiting quite a long while...as in months. There MAY be a few on the market at the end of October, but that's not definite, and other than that, its going to be around 3 months or more before anything shows up in the US.

Koolertek has some AP-14s. I'm waiting for more of the 1850 version...

I live in the UK and just ordered two based on all the people who seem to recommend them on forums.

If you live in the US and you really want but can't find them, you could always do a shopping search on google.co.uk and find a store that ships to the US. I've definitely seen them in stock on a few UK websites.

I just got an email from the shop I ordered them from a while back (fully knowing they wouldn't have them) and they said they expect stock on the 17th of Nov. When I originally ordered them I got an email saying they weren't in stock in the supplier's warehouse and they didn't know when they would be coming in, so I guess this is progress, lol.

I've picked up a couple gelid fans lately and quite like them fwiw. A bit expensive, but so were the GTs.

I've found Jab-tech has the best prices for the GT's. Got all 11 of my GT 1850's from them last month to finish my build. They seem to get a largish batch of them in every 3-4 weeks but they typically sell out within a 2-3 days, so check often.

Those wanting these for rads or heatsinks give the Silverston'e AP121 Penetrator fans any thought? They may cost slightly more, but it looks like they have a lot going for them. I had some focus on GTs because these NZXT fans I foolishly bought just don't cut the cheese, but since the GTs are a PITA to get your hands on I'm now looking at the Penetrators.

Those wanting these for rads or heatsinks give the Silverston'e AP121 Penetrator fans any thought? They may cost slightly more, but it looks like they have a lot going for them. I had some focus on GTs because these NZXT fans I foolishly bought just don't cut the cheese, but since the GTs are a PITA to get your hands on I'm now looking at the Penetrators.

I might give those AP121s a try actually. Would like to see a decent review of them though, most the reviews out there for them give no useful information. It'd be nice to see a review of noise vs other fans and temperatures when used on radiators and heatsinks.

I need something that performs well at low noise. Currently my Megahalems is running a Noctua P12 at around 1000rpm, but it causes weird resonances at certain RPM which is irritating.

The AP121 fans aren't that great for heatsink/rad applications. They really are a case fan.

Really? All the advertising for it says its great because it produces a column of air rather than spewing air in all directions, I figured that would be great for a heatsink application where you dont have a separate shroud.

I haven't seen any decent reviews that actually compare it on a heatsink (one did, but I'd hardly call it a "decent" comparison :p). Do you have personal experience with it?

being able to direct air is a nice concept, but without strong enough static pressure it doesn't do very much for heatsink/radiator performance. I'm not sure what the Silverstone AP121 are rated at (haven't seen any test info), but the Scythe GTs are sought after for their static pressure rating along with their pricing, noise volume and general quality. there just aren't many other well known fans very close to this price level that show the same well rounded performance.

Back