Can you list reasons why Windows 8 is bad other than UI?

What did you predict exactly? That Vista would sell 450 million copies and get a higher percentage of the market in the same time span than XP?

The thing is that while it's easy to say that Vista and ME were failures, they were both very strong commercial successes. Since Windows 3 there's never been a commercial failure of version of Windows. The problem is that Windows has been such a great commercial success for so long that it's simply hard to say what is successful and what isn't.

In a way, Windows 7 is a failure because it simply doesn't address mobile and tablets and the health of the PC market is in the tank. Yet it's sold 650 million copies.

The thing is that while it's easy to say that Vista and ME were failures, they were both very strong commercial successes. Since Windows 3 there's never been a commercial failure of version of Windows. The problem is that Windows has been such a great commercial success for so long that it's simply hard to say what is successful and what isn't.

In a way, Windows 7 is a failure because it simply doesn't address mobile and tablets and the health of the PC market is in the tank. Yet it's sold 650 million copies.

True, but that's true of every desktop OS previous to Windows 8. So less of a "Windows 7 is a failure" and more of a "Windows 8 is a grand insight", well that's what I'd say anyway.

Folks with SSDs already have it disabled, or they should...
wrong-wrong-wrong-wrong a million times wrong!

The search service should NEVER be set to "Disabled," even when you have an SSD. If you set the service to "Disabled" then you instantly break start-search (it becomes unable to search files/folders and file-contents).

The service will decide weather or not it needs to index the contents of a drive based on weather or not it's an SSD, but the service should not be disabled. Windows knows what drives are SSD's and can manage its services just fine on its own.

don't have an SSD but Windows definitely doesn't work right on multiple machines it causes copies to take a shit and never complete. Once disabled I've never had a problem and that's been at least a few weeks now.
Once again, can you give us some more in-depth steps on how to reproduce this? Still can't make it happen with large transfers on any machines here... sounds like a problem with something in your particular configurations.

Sounds like some bullshit while they change DPC latency checker to make Win8 look good...
Wait, what? This is a program you relied HEAVILY upon to slam Windows 8, even when many people held its results suspect (reading exactly 1ms too high consistently looks like a problem with its readings to me...)

Now the author of said program has come out and point-blank said it doesn't work right on Windows 8, and you don't believe him?

No it makes sense. I'd imagine the "micro stutter" in games in Win8 would be attributed to the high DPC latency. No game in Win8 is close to as smooth in Win7.
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna need citation on that one. I've been running Windows 8 on my laptop and my desktop, and games are as smooth as ever on both (the laptop is actually substantially faster under Windows 8).

Last edited:
Back