Can I change my IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoomZoom

Limp Gawd
I called Comcast last night and the guy said he changed it. He didn't change anything. I called again and was told they can' do it, it changes every week or so. I have had the same one for several months so mine is not changing. I was then told their home networking dept can do it. Just got off the phone w/them after that guy said they can't change it and the only way to change it is to add a new device like a router to my PC. They are full of crap, right?

FYI, I do not have a network or router etc setup. Just one PC.

Is there a way I can change my IP address myself?

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This may change your IP address, but if it doesn't, do this:

ipconfig /all

Look for the section on DHCP lease length - and then keep your NIC unplugged for that period of time ;)

Your almost certainly using DHCP from your modem. There lease is however long they set it to be. Sounds like a week or so.

You could try spoofing your MAC address on your network card and then running ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew from a command prompt. Might work. Might not. Most NICs will allow you to change the MAC address in the advanced properties. All you'd need to do is change one digit in the hex value. You can get your current MAC from ipconfig /all at a prompt.

Get your IP banned?

ZoomZoom said:
I called Comcast last night and the guy said he changed it. He didn't change anything. I called again and was told they can' do it, it changes every week or so. I have had the same one for several months so mine is not changing. I was then told their home networking dept can do it. Just got off the phone w/them after that guy said they can't change it and the only way to change it is to add a new device like a router to my PC. They are full of crap, right?

FYI, I do not have a network or router etc setup. Just one PC.

Is there a way I can change my IP address myself?

I take it you have DSL?

If you have Cable modem, then no, the ISP only gives u a special IP that you will have with them. I do not know much about routers, but I know they do give you a internal IP, but I believe the external IP stays the same.

Viper16 said:
I take it you have DSL?

If you have Cable modem, then no, the ISP only gives u a special IP that you will have with them. I do not know much about routers, but I know they do give you a internal IP, but I believe the external IP stays the same.
I have a cable modem

ktwebb said:
Your almost certainly using DHCP from your modem. There lease is however long they set it to be. Sounds like a week or so.

You could try spoofing your MAC address on your network card and then running ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew from a command prompt. Might work. Might not. Most NICs will allow you to change the MAC address in the advanced properties. All you'd need to do is change one digit in the hex value. You can get your current MAC from ipconfig /all at a prompt.

Get your IP banned?
I wish it was a week. I have had the same IP for several months.

Says the lease expires April 2006. :rolleyes:

I see nothing under ipconfig/all that says MAC.

I was able to change the IP of my connection with Comcast cable. Normally.. if you were to just DHCP release "from the router".. and renew it.. it will give you the same ip. However.. I made the mistake of doing this remotely and it released the ip.. I couldn't renew it until I got home.. then it gave me a different ip. So go through your router's DHCP release option.. leave it for a while... then renew it and see if it's a different IP. This "just" happened to me a couple days ago.

magnetik said:
I was able to change the IP of my connection with Comcast cable. Normally.. if you were to just DHCP release "from the router".. and renew it.. it will give you the same ip. However.. I made the mistake of doing this remotely and it released the ip.. I couldn't renew it until I got home.. then it gave me a different ip. So go through your router's DHCP release option.. leave it for a while... then renew it and see if it's a different IP. This "just" happened to me a couple days ago.
That's a Doh! moment I've had a few times.

Just the other day I brought down the vpn to change the certs. Remotely.

Yeah, when people say I'm smart, they never undertand why I shake my head.

ZoomZoom said:
I wish it was a week. I have had the same IP for several months.

Says the lease expires April 2006. :rolleyes:

I see nothing under ipconfig/all that says MAC.

Your MAC will be the "physicall address" in the ipconfig print

"If you have Cable modem, then no, the ISP only gives u a special IP that you will have with them"

Special IP? lol. That's pretty funny

ktwebb said:

"If you have Cable modem, then no, the ISP only gives u a special IP that you will have with them"

Special IP? lol. That's pretty funny
Depends on the service, actually. Were I an ISP, I would force MAC addresses to associate with specific IPs, just to keep logging headaches down to a minimum.

I don't know if comcast does different things by region, but where I am if your modem goes down for any significant amount of time you get a new IP.

XOR != OR said:
Depends on the service, actually. Were I an ISP, I would force MAC addresses to associate with specific IPs, just to keep logging headaches down to a minimum.

This is the way comcast works around here. I got a new ip whenever my mac address changed, but you might have to register thet mac address with comcast for it to connect (it varies from region to region.)

the www.broadbandreports.com forums might have more ideas for you as well.

ktwebb said:
I don't actually have a network card installed. I am using an external ethernet adapter hooked up to a USB port.

I have had the same ip address for about two years now, but I really don't mind it keeps me from having to update my domain pointer.

ZoomZoom said:
I don't actually have a network card installed. I am using an external ethernet adapter hooked up to a USB port.

just try what I posted earlier.. It worked for me.

XOR != OR said:
That's a Doh! moment I've had a few times.

Just the other day I brought down the vpn to change the certs. Remotely.

Yeah, when people say I'm smart, they never undertand why I shake my head.

yeah.. tell me about it.. I thought the router would renew automatically.. I guessed wrong. :p

A dozen replies and no one has thought to ask why a new IP is needed?

[ok, so ktwebb said what we are all thinking at least]

Malk-a-mite said:

heh I was thinking about it but was too lazy to read the whole thread and thought it would of been asked by now.

I just did the ip release and then unhooked my modem & shut down my PC. I then restarts the PC and hooked the modem back up then did the ip renew. I now have a new IP. I have tried the iprelease & renew in the past and they never worked, but I will take it this time. :)

Malk-a-mite said:

Mainly, because it's such a trivial thing.

Now, were he asking how to crack win2k passwords, that'd be a different story. But renewing an IP? Either you can fairly easily, or you can't.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a new IP. If you've run any sort of server for awhile and start to get too much unsolicited traffic that it effects your normal internet activities, then it's time to change an IP. Besides, getting a new IP doesn't mean it is much different from the old one. He'll probably get one with the first two or three octets being the same anyways.

Oh yeah, to get that new ip, you have to use a different MAC address. For lots of cable setups, if your doing a release/renew you won't get a new IP address because the lease time expires at a slower rate than how fast you did the release/renew operation. The IP address you get is tied to the MAC address of the device requesting the IP address. Usually a few minutes of unplugging the cable modem is enough time for the lease to expire and for you to get a new IP address. The other way is if you have a router to change the MAC address. Router manufacturers call the feature MAC cloning, but most allow you to change it to any address you want it to be. Personally, I would put in a router between your computer and your cable modem whether or not you will be sharing your internet connection. It is cheap way to add some security.

The only way to get a new IP address without having the dhcp server assign you a new one after your lease is up is to change your MAC address. To do this in windoze go to the device manager, then expand network adapters and double click your card. Go to the advanced tab and look through the options and see if MAC address or hardware address is listed. Your MAC address should look something like this 00:05:0A:0D:13:5B, thats 12 digits, 0-9 A-F. Just change the last digit, apply it and reboot. You'll probably have to reset the modem as well, in fact, I'm sure of it.

If your NIC doesn't support changing the MAC address, then get a new NIC. You will not be able to call the cable company and get a new IP. The CSR's are not able to pull your info from the dhcp server, even the NOC would laugh at you, I know I would....cuz I work at a NOC.

I hope it all works out for you so you can go troll a message board you got banned from or a video game server you were cheating on.

Cheers!

Please check your PM.....

:cool:

I hereby declare this thread to be undead.

It just won't go away. The good ( or bad, depending on how you look at it ) news is I'm still as brainless as I was back then. Constant comedy....of sorts.

Change the mac address of your NIC that will change it. once you change the mac address reset yoru router and presto. Your lease is probably no more than 24 hours however the way DHCP worlks you could have the same IP for a very long time. months at a time. I have had the smae ip for over 8 months and my lease is a 24 hour lease.

and no they are not full of it thats just how DHCP works. the reps who told you they could with out changing equipment where morons.

Edit: Just saw the age... sorry. and holy crap thread resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back