• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can air purifier kill them all?

mindthegap

n00b
Joined
Dec 5, 2014
Messages
7
I'm tired of with buildup dust in PC cases and have to clean the filter and keyboard with brush monthly. So I just get rid of every cleaning gears and buy a Clair TD1866 (www.go-clair.com).
My logic goes like this: dust from computer is mostly from your room, so if you keep your room perfectly clean then your PC respectively. Then an effective air purifier is the ultimate solution, right?

Right?
 
Only if you are in a "clean room".

An air purifier will help, but unless you keep dust from getting in the room in the first place, your computer will still get some dust in it.

Is your computer sitting on the floor or on a desk? Setting it on the floor will lead to more dust than if it is sitting on a desk.
 
Carpet is your worst enemy. That said, if putting it on the desk is not an option, getting a stand under it will help. Ikea used to make a cheap one that I've been using for years.
 
Watercooling + external rad box = fanless desktop = no dust in case.

Alternatively throw some dust filters on your fans and it'll dramatically reduce the amount of case cleaning you might need to do.
 
Slightly Off-Topic: I've been looking for a superior Air purifier... Thanks for mentioning this one. I picked this one up. :)

Now to add to the topic:

Get your computer off the ground. I had the same issue you had OP, the ground has the foot traffic that makes the air very dusty. I ended up making a stand for my computer for my desk.

Here's a pic:
computer.resized.jpg


It's kind of nice because I can put shit under the stand (made it long enough for my monitor :)). But, more importantly, I almost get no dust in it now, I dust it out (with my Air Duster) maybe once every 5 months now. Granted I don't live in a dusty part of the world, but it was a very noticeable difference.

Good luck.
 
Dust gathers on the ground . get your computer as high up as you can and it will solve most of the dust problems. it will still gather dust but much less than before.
 
Air purifiers help, but are far from perfect. But yes it will reduce the amount of dust if placed near the PC.

Some high-end brands are: IQAir (very expensive), Alen, Austin Air, BlueAir

A good mid-level brand is Winix and is what I would generally recommend to most people.

You can get decent ones from cheap brands like Holmes. I just ordered this Holmes "HEPA-Type" (which is NOT true HEPA, but is generally "OK") for a relative for Christmas. Haven't tried it yet but should work well for the price. I myself use 2 Alen A350s and this Holmes unit is definitely not going to be as good as those. But they cost a lot more and the filters themselves cost more. Reviews on the Holmes units seem better than Honeywell units.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Air purifiers help, but are far from perfect. But yes it will reduce the amount of dust if placed near the PC.

Some high-end brands are: IQAir (very expensive), Alen, Austin Air, BlueAir

A good mid-level brand is Winix and is what I would generally recommend to most people.

You can get decent ones from cheap brands like Holmes. I just ordered this Holmes "HEPA-Type" (which is NOT true HEPA, but is generally "OK") for a relative for Christmas. Haven't tried it yet but should work well for the price. I myself use 2 Alen A350s and this Holmes unit is definitely not going to be as good as those. But they cost a lot more and the filters themselves cost more. Reviews on the Holmes units seem better than Honeywell units.

Air purifiers work insanely good for comp dust build up. I usually have to clean out my tower with a vacuum and one of those compressed air canisters and its a pain in the ass. I actually tried putting a big honey well next to my tower and it sucked out all the dust in the area in about week. The only thing I hated was how big it was so I couldnt sit comfortably on my chair without having to put my feet on top of the big thing.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm tired of with buildup dust in PC cases and have to clean the filter and keyboard with brush monthly. So I just get rid of every cleaning gears and buy a Clair TD1866 (www.go-clair.com).
My logic goes like this: dust from computer is mostly from your room, so if you keep your room perfectly clean then your PC respectively. Then an effective air purifier is the ultimate solution, right?

Right?

The purifiers on that site look like speakers lol. Pretty f'in nice I must say. How's the noise?
 
I'm tired of with buildup dust in PC cases and have to clean the filter and keyboard with brush monthly. So I just get rid of every cleaning gears and buy a Clair TD1866 (www.go-clair.com).
My logic goes like this: dust from computer is mostly from your room, so if you keep your room perfectly clean then your PC respectively. Then an effective air purifier is the ultimate solution, right?

Right?

It'll help but it's not a perfect solution. You're one of the biggest contributors of dust - your skin sheds close to a million particles every day. To stop dust, you'd have to stay out of your room.

You're still going to have to clean your PC every now and then.
 
Watercooling + external rad box = fanless desktop = no dust in case.

Alternatively throw some dust filters on your fans and it'll dramatically reduce the amount of case cleaning you might need to do.

filter-before-100035694-large.jpg


have you seen this?
 
The purifiers on that site look like speakers lol. Pretty f'in nice I must say. How's the noise?

Yes they have two precise models, one looks like speaker and the other one, which I bought, looks like subwoofer.

It's not noisy, actually I put that on my desk as well so normally all the sound I heard comes from PC case = .= And I don't bother to turn off so I guess it won't cause any notice :))
 
It'll help but it's not a perfect solution. You're one of the biggest contributors of dust - your skin sheds close to a million particles every day. To stop dust, you'd have to stay out of your room.

You're still going to have to clean your PC every now and then.

it's not like air purifier doesn't remove particles, does it?
 
Slightly Off-Topic: I've been looking for a superior Air purifier... Thanks for mentioning this one. I picked this one up. :)

Now to add to the topic:

Get your computer off the ground. I had the same issue you had OP, the ground has the foot traffic that makes the air very dusty. I ended up making a stand for my computer for my desk.

Here's a pic:
computer.resized.jpg


It's kind of nice because I can put shit under the stand (made it long enough for my monitor :)). But, more importantly, I almost get no dust in it now, I dust it out (with my Air Duster) maybe once every 5 months now. Granted I don't live in a dusty part of the world, but it was a very noticeable difference.

Good luck.

your setting is nice. I should find a rack to put the case up above like that.
 
your setting is nice. I should find a rack to put the case up above like that.

Putting your desktop near your head is going to make it pretty loud....fans and hard drives make noise. But then again if you're contemplating an air purifier you're probably not sensitive to noise.
 
You could always just build a compartment for your case that accepts a large A/C filter on the intake side.

The only downside would be that the either the exhaust or intake would have to be sealed off pretty well in order to keep the airflow proper as well as keep the air from bypassing the filter.

Edit: the problem with the case fan filters is that they reduce the airflow to almost nothing.
 
Putting your desktop near your head is going to make it pretty loud....fans and hard drives make noise. But then again if you're contemplating an air purifier you're probably not sensitive to noise.

If you already have a loud computer, then yes, it'll be loud. Mine is almost silent, so it wasn't much of an issue. The added space more then make up for the redirection of sound. :D
 
Slightly Off-Topic: I've been looking for a superior Air purifier... Thanks for mentioning this one. I picked this one up. :)

Now to add to the topic:

Get your computer off the ground. I had the same issue you had OP, the ground has the foot traffic that makes the air very dusty. I ended up making a stand for my computer for my desk.

Here's a pic:
computer.resized.jpg


It's kind of nice because I can put shit under the stand (made it long enough for my monitor :)). But, more importantly, I almost get no dust in it now, I dust it out (with my Air Duster) maybe once every 5 months now. Granted I don't live in a dusty part of the world, but it was a very noticeable difference.

Good luck.

How tall are you? You must be like 6'5" at least if you want to open your cd drive.
 
Putting your desktop near your head is going to make it pretty loud....fans and hard drives make noise. But then again if you're contemplating an air purifier you're probably not sensitive to noise.

haha air purifier is supposed to be noisy?
 
haha air purifier is supposed to be noisy?

Depends on where you draw the line for noisy. My threshold is very low: home office is as quiet as I can go without building a free floating studio (...next house though :) ) Kinda off topic, but it becomes a game of whack-a-mole in the quest for silence. Quiet one thing something else becomes "noisy".

EDIT:

Anyways, not to derail your thread. Just wanted to make a point in case you didn't consider the extra noise possibly being a problem.

DOUBLE EDIT:

If you want to do an air purifier on the cheap...get a box fan and strap a Filtrete or similar filter to the back of it. Push the whole thing up to the side of your case (open or mesh, obviously) and use it to create positive pressure of filtered air.
 
Last edited:
How tall are you? You must be like 6'5" at least if you want to open your cd drive.

I'm 6'. And I don't have a CD Rom drive... If I need to use a CD which is once a year now... I have an external drive.

And it's not that tall, it is a slight stretch to the power button tho.
 
So I just got my clair air purifier yesterday. So far its f'in quiet and i like it:)

I put it where my feet is like the old honeywell with my tower case open.

WgD8cHF.jpg


I have a shit load of dust right now in my pc so i'll check everyday to see how the dust removal goes.
 
I wouldn't expect too much from that. Like with engines and speakers, there is no replacement for displacement. But it should help some.
 
I wouldn't expect too much from that. Like with engines and speakers, there is no replacement for displacement. But it should help some.

So far dust is gone from the inside. The dust stuck to the panels that are in there pretty good didnt remove though. Ill have to scrub that manually. I got a mini air cooler going on though. If only i can fit the round shit inside my tower LOL.
 
So after around 2 weeks or so there was sooo much freakin dust on the filter yikes. But the inside of my tower is still spic n span.

778GiqO.jpg
 
Oh dude, it seems doing its work well. Mine is not that state yet, but I do vacuum once in a month.

Do you live in Beijing now? Btw, happy new year : D
 
I thought I remember reading that all air purifiers are bullshit. Maybe it was only a certain type of air purifier? Not bullshit as in they completely don't work, but bullshit in the sense that they're essentially a waste of time and money compared to other solutions.

In that same vein, I also heard that the only real solution was to get a decent vacuum (with HEPA filter) and vacuum regularly - that is what would cut down on dust best. There are air filters with HEPA, but they either move too little air to be significantly effective at capturing dust, or they're loud and disruptive. It's so much easier to just vacuum every few days where you want to keep the dust down.
 
Last edited:
I thought I remember reading that all air purifiers are bullshit. Maybe it was only a certain type of air purifier? Not bullshit as in they completely don't work, but bullshit in the sense that they're essentially a waste of time and money compared to other solutions.

In that same vein, I also heard that the only real solution was to get a decent vacuum (with HEPA filter) and vacuum regularly - that is what would cut down on dust best. There are air filters with HEPA, but they either move too little air to be significantly effective at capturing dust, or they're loud and disruptive. It's so much easier to just vacuum every few days where you want to keep the dust down.

None of this is correct. Air filters are not BS and vacuuming does not fulfill the same job. Vacuuming does not scrub the air, even if you have a good vacuum like a Miele that actually does filter pretty well (even some high-end brands don't have good filtering - for example, Kirby). You should definitely not rely on just an air purifier to clean dust, though. It does not replace vacuuming, sweeping, dusting.

It is possible that for some people an air purifier is not a helpful thing, but that's not true for everyone.
 
None of this is correct. Air filters are not BS and vacuuming does not fulfill the same job. Vacuuming does not scrub the air, even if you have a good vacuum like a Miele that actually does filter pretty well (even some high-end brands don't have good filtering - for example, Kirby). You should definitely not rely on just an air purifier to clean dust, though. It does not replace vacuuming, sweeping, dusting.

It is possible that for some people an air purifier is not a helpful thing, but that's not true for everyone.

I'm not sure what you mean that vacuums do not scrub the air. That's precisely what a HEPA filter does, no? You can get a vacuum with one of those for under $100. Sure, it doesn't perpetually filter the air over time, but if you vacuumed every few days, there really wouldn't be much left for the filter to pick up.
 
but if you vacuumed every few days, there really wouldn't be much left for the filter to pick up.

hahahaha

Feel free to try it, but you're not correct about that. Maybe you've never lived with pets.

I have an $800 Miele vacuum and even it would not replace an air purifier in a home with pets.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean that vacuums do not scrub the air. That's precisely what a HEPA filter does, no? You can get a vacuum with one of those for under $100. Sure, it doesn't perpetually filter the air over time, but if you vacuumed every few days, there really wouldn't be much left for the filter to pick up.

Vacuuming is for the floor. There is still a shitload of dust in the air, just look at my filter lol. HEPA filters, e2f filters, whatever -- they clean the air and they work pretty well. I also got to use the fat drum looking honey well which has a HEPA filter and it did things my vacuum could not.

If you're still not convinced of air purifiers, do the test at home. Turn off all the lights and turn on your smartphone and make your screen white and bright. Look around the phone screen and see if there is dust floating all around.
 
Slightly Off-Topic: I've been looking for a superior Air purifier... Thanks for mentioning this one. I picked this one up. :)

Now to add to the topic:

Get your computer off the ground. I had the same issue you had OP, the ground has the foot traffic that makes the air very dusty. I ended up making a stand for my computer for my desk.

Have you tried using it near the PC as well ?? I am planning to invest in a good room air purifier for health reasons but am wondering if it can double up as an air filter for the PC as well. I mean not as a replacement for my casing filter but otherwise... maybe just to reduce my PC cleaning frequency.
 
It sits exclusivly near my PC, that sits up above my desk. I feel it does a good job. I had a little dust in the computer, but who doesn't. After looking at the build of this device, it doesn't seem like it's worth the money... It's literally a computer fan and a filter in a stylish plastic container. that's it. Though i see the filter has been used a good bit, I don't think I would purchase another one until I see something else and compare.
 
It sits exclusivly near my PC, that sits up above my desk. I feel it does a good job. I had a little dust in the computer, but who doesn't. After looking at the build of this device, it doesn't seem like it's worth the money... It's literally a computer fan and a filter in a stylish plastic container. that's it. Though i see the filter has been used a good bit, I don't think I would purchase another one until I see something else and compare.

Thanks for the input.We have pets at home and our apartment has some serious dust issue which has made my asthma worse especially during the nights so I was considering a room air purifier for health reasons and came across this post here.

My friend who is a medical practitioner tells me that if this Clair e2f filter can capture particles upto 0.1 micron then it might be the only room air purifier capable of capturing airborne virus such as influenza virus which is 0.1 micron in size. To me it seems like a viable option for health reasons when I consider the technology and price.Guess I'll just go ahead and order one .
 
My friend who is a medical practitioner tells me that if this Clair e2f filter can capture particles up to 0.1 micron then it might be the only room air purifier capable of capturing airborne virus such as influenza virus which is 0.1 micron in size. To me it seems like a viable option for health reasons when I consider the technology and price.Guess I'll just go ahead and order one .

It won't. According to the product page the smallest particulates it will capture are a minimum of 300nm (or .3µ). Close, but no cigar. You're talking about clean room grade filtration there, which is NOT cheap.
 
My friend who is a medical practitioner tells me that if this Clair e2f filter can capture particles upto 0.1 micron

Too much of this thread taken up by that thing which is clearly no better than a similarly-sized Honeywell (not a very good thing) regardless of what their marketing says.

Might as well start trying to sell us on the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze which was a complete piece of crap... or the Oreck one that was also crap...

The stronger the marketing claims of a product, the higher the chance that it's complete BS, and I can 100% guarantee you that's the case with this Clair stuff. I can 100% guarantee you that my Alen A350 will clean at least twice as much as this Clair filter, though that's a little unfair because the Alen is something like 16"x16"x6".

The Clair is certainly better than nothing and it might be pretty good for the size, but we're getting too much marketing fluff in here that makes it sound like some sort of miracle. It's not.
 
Last edited:
First, get a good AC filter, most people use the very very cheap ones that filter all but the largest dust, this is not a fix all, but the AC moves ALLOT of air, and using a good filter on it can cut down on dust by a large amount. Then get a room filter, HEPA is one of the best, and can help big time with indoor air quality, but is not needed if all you want is dust control, as we are talking much larger particle sizes with PC cleaning, as such, some of the cheaper "knock off" HEPA systems will probably do more than enough to help allot with dust that is clogging up the PC.

I went to some highend 3M AC filters and noticed a 60-70% drop in visible dust and when doing my 3 month cleaning of the PC case far less dust build up. I then got a HEPA filter for the room the PC is in as well as my bedroom, its one of the best bang for the buck units, loud little fucker, but its not really fan or mechanical noise but lots of "rushing air" noise though, however its a mid size unit and can filter large rooms, so its understandable, and standing next to the thing you can feel LOTS of air rushing out from it, even on low. First day I put it on before going to work, when I got home I noticed a change in smell in the whole house, it smelled....Clean, like no smell at all, even though I have those room sent things, it cleans so good it even removed the vanilla sent they put out which is often pretty strong when I first walk in.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Haven't tried the air filter idea yet, but I can say that the pc sitting on the floor is terrible for dust. When I moved I had to put the tower under the desk on the carpet. I'm cleaning the tower every couple weeks now it seems. Seriously contemplating buying a shelf for the wall just to get this thing back up again!
 
Back
Top