Calling all Quad owners!!!!

digital_exhaust

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008
Guys.... we need your help.

As some of you may know, the [H]orde is currently involved in a little showdown with a few other F@H teams......the Chimp Challenge....

After reading through this sub forum, it seems that there are an awful lot of you here with quite a few spare cycles laying around, and I'm here to ask that you consider donating some of them to the cause, just for a few days if nothing else.....

It's for a good cause, and it's for the [H]... you guys are all members here for a reason, and that reason is that this community is the [H]ardest in the world, so let's step up and show those others what the [H] is all about and what we can do!!!

We really need your help, and all you need to do is download the SMP client and run it, preferably 24/7 until the challenge is over, but whatever you can do to help is appreciated...

Challenge stats here
Client download here
F@H information here

And don't hesitate to drop down to the DC sub forum if you have any questions, we're happy to try and help...

And when you do decide to join, don't forget to use [H]ardApe as the user name until the end of the Challenge, and of course, don't forget it's team 33!!!!

First off, thank you for taking the time to look into this thread. [H]ardOCP is running second in the race and our chance to turn this around is growing dangerously short. If one or two [H] member turns an additional quad towards the Challenge, we can pull even with MaximumPC in daily output. If several members join in the race, we can exceed their output and start to gain on them. Any modern CPU, ATI GPU, or PS3 system can be utilized for folding.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Upon completion of the race, you can turn your efforts away from [H]ardApe and towards the name of your choice, or you can stop all together if folding is not for you.

As digital_exhaust said, if you decide to help us out, we're available in the DC sub-forum to answer any questions you may have. And as a folder, you get to display your nifty badge all over the forum.

OK, got two of them running this for us. I will get another one going in the morning. Hope it helps to do the job. :p

Thanks RonB, and welcome to the party!

Thanks Ron... glad to have you folding for the Ape!!!

Come on down to the DC forum and say hello to everyone, bunch of great folks there that would like to meet you!!!

dont have quad core but I do have dual core. just set them up now. Folding for [H] under [H]ardape team 33

dont have quad core but I do have dual core. just set them up now. Folding for [H] under [H]ardape team 33

Thanks for joining, every bit helps:)

One thing, make sure the user name is [H]ardApe, not [H]ardape....and thanks again!!

how fast does the ps3 fold?

Is it comparable in output to the quad cores?

question, i set the fold client to max cpu usage and its still only hovering around core 2, am I doing something wrong?

folding on a QX9650 and i'm using the one you linked to. version 5.03

Dammit....I'm an idiot.....:(

In my haste to get this thread up last night, I linked the wrong download page. Oops.

With that hardware, you want the SMP client, it will perform MUCH better. I changed the link, but here it is again...if you want to stick with the console client, I would really recommend using the 5.04 (non-graphical) version....... sorry about that guys.......

installed the new version you just posted and now i'm unable to download the working core.

Log messages are as follows:

[15:25:58] + Processing work unit
[15:25:58] Core required: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:25:58] Core not found.
[15:25:58] - Core is not present or corrupted.
[15:25:58] - Attempting to download new core...
[15:25:58] + Downloading new core: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:26:04] - Error: HTTP GET returned error code 302
[15:26:04] + Error: Could not download core
[15:26:04] + Core download error (#2), waiting before retry...

[15:26:09] + Downloading new core: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:26:15] - Error: HTTP GET returned error code 302
[15:26:15] + Error: Could not download core
[15:26:15] + Core download error (#3), waiting before retry...

[15:26:39] + Downloading new core: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:26:45] - Error: HTTP GET returned error code 302
[15:26:45] + Error: Could not download core
[15:26:45] + Core download error (#4), waiting before retry...

[15:27:10] + Downloading new core: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:27:16] - Error: HTTP GET returned error code 302
[15:27:16] + Error: Could not download core
[15:27:16] + Core download error (#5), waiting before retry...

[15:28:09] + Downloading new core: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:28:15] - Error: HTTP GET returned error code 302
[15:28:15] + Error: Could not download core
[15:28:15] + Core download error (#6), waiting before retry...

[15:29:42] + Downloading new core: FahCore_7b.exe
[15:29:48] - Error: HTTP GET returned error code 302
[15:29:48] + Error: Could not download core
[15:29:48] + Core download error (#7), waiting before retry...

EDIT>

nevermind its working...

Yeah sure, I'll put some cycles towards this.

I installed the client and found it was only using one CPU core.
Checking this thread again revealed that you posted the wrong client so I am on the High Performance client install page.
What is the difference between the High Performance clients?
It says to "Read this forum post first!" but it doesnt tell you jack on the linked page.
There is nowhere that tells me which client is best suited for my hardware.

Are they all SMP (apart from the GPU clients) or are there some high performance single core clients as well that I should avoid?
Why do I get the option to download different Tray and Console clients, are they supposed to be mixed and matched or are they meant to be used as working pairs?

Just added my 3.5GHz Q9300 in.

Thanks!

And guys, help is on the way....I've got a thread up in the DC forum asking for help configuring the SMP client correctly..... I run a diskless/headless version of the SMP client on dedicated hardware that does nothing but fold, and I'm not experienced enough with the regular client to accurately answer your questions, but there are many here that can and will help....hang in there and thanks again for joining!!

Thanks!!

And again, please make sure that the username is [H]ardApe!!

Fold On guys!!

if u guys have questions regarding folding, u could post them in the Distributed Computing
subforum and we'll be happy to help you out :)

and please its [H]ardApe
not [Hard]Ape
not [Hard]Ape_
not [H]ardeApe either :D

cut & paste FTW ;)

Hello everyone. I've joined the [H]ard fight for supremacy. I am using the rig in my sig. I noticed the client is only utilizing 25%-50% of the core's power. Is this normal? If not, how do I increase the load. Lastly, what else can I do to get to squeeze more ppd for us.

I am also going to setup my spare dual core rig tomorrow.

Hello everyone. I've joined the [H]ard fight for supremacy. I am using the rig in my sig. I noticed the client is only utilizing 25%-50% of the core's power. Is this normal? If not, how do I increase the load. Lastly, what else can I do to get to squeeze more ppd for us.

I am also going to setup my spare dual core rig tomorrow.

okey, since u have a Quad core u should run 2 instances of the SMP client, but since u are starting out, i'd recommend to u to start with one SMP client, then move on and add another one.

the SMP client can be found here
http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/Folding@Home Windows SMP Client.EXE

install it, then run the install.bat, and then follow the instructions given in the Hardfolding website
http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=3&gtype=1&id=1&show=1

any more question feel free to ask :)

I normally don't like to leave my PC on 24/7, but I will help out.

not only would you be contributing to the team, but also you'll helping the medical research !! so it's a win win situation ;)

OK info for anyone who wants to know what to download.
The 6.10 beta 3 clients are single core only.
V5.91 / 2 beta 6 is the latest SMP client for multi core CPUs.

E8400 @ 4.13GHz up and running here.
6% through my first WU after 1hr :)

Thanks for all the new recruits helping out during the Chimp Challenge, I hope to see most of you stay on with the [H]orde after this is all over as well.

Thank you to all that have made a contribution to [H]ardApe. Since this thread went up last night, we are outproducing the other teams!

Thank you to all that have made a contribution to [H]ardApe. Since this thread went up last night, we are outproducing the other teams!

Yeah....your help is very much appreciated! Definitely making a big difference:)

Next time you will have to let us know sooner, than there will be nobody out there that can come close to [Hard]Ape in the next challenge.

Back