C2D multiplier question

stetser

n00b
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
12
I've done some researching, and I cannot seem to find a definite answer to this question:

I'm going to be purchasing a DFI 965-s Dark and a 6320 or 6420, depending on one thing: will I be able to lower the multiplier if I purchase a 6420? I know I can't raise it, but I'm only interested in lowering it.
 
I've done some researching, and I cannot seem to find a definite answer to this question:

I'm going to be purchasing a DFI 965-s Dark and a 6320 or 6420, depending on one thing: will I be able to lower the multiplier if I purchase a 6420? I know I can't raise it, but I'm only interested in lowering it.

It depends on the bios. I would imagine that lowering it shouldn't be a problem, but you might have to wait for a bios that allows it.
 
The DFI P965-S does allow you to unlock lower multipliers. So you could run your E6420 at 7x if you wanted...

Here's something I have been wondering...how come a bios cannot unlock the higher multipliers for a chip?
 
The DFI P965-S does allow you to unlock lower multipliers. So you could run your E6420 at 7x if you wanted...

Here's something I have been wondering...how come a bios cannot unlock the higher multipliers for a chip?

hardware locked in the cpu. c2's allow lowering to as low as 6x because of speed step.
 
Thanks for letting me know, I figured it had to be hardware locked. Didn't know about speed step either, but I looked it up, thanks.
 
Back
Top