Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned

Ugh, Bulletstorm was kind of like a upsized burger meal. It's kind of appeals to you at a visceral level at first, but afterwards, you just feel kind of queasy and regret the whole thing. Plus you have that plate full of fries that tasted great at the beginning, but now is just a soggy, greasy mess that you feel compelled to stuff down your craw.

Whereas Portal 2 was like sushi dinner. Impeccably presented, exotic, just the right portions, and no guilty, fat-ass feeling afterwards.

Bulletstorm just tried too hard to be funny and failed epicly at it, whereas Portal 2 made me grin from ear to ear from things as mundane as getting drenched in slime or bouncing off the floors and walls like a kid on a trampoline.

Mmm food analogy, i agree, and i think im having sushi for lunch.

I find it funny how anytime a studio complains about piracy, PC gamers are always "don't make shitty games" .... bulletstorm was not that bad of a game

Hell even Bethesda came forward and said developing for PC is a headache due to piracy and millions of hardware configurations, and no one will say skyrim was a bad game.

The difference between Bethesda and Epic is how they approach the situation. Bethesda could have cancelled Skyrim for PC since Oblivion was pirated too. Instead Bethesda put a TON of effort into Skyrim for PC. They are constantly releasing free patches, fixes, additions. They released mod tools so the community could add more content on their own. While they have DLC plans, the game has been out for 6 months with a ton of free updates and no mention of DLC yet.

The difference is that Skyrim went on to be one of the best selling and most played PC games of all time, and Bulletstorm.. well you know.

It comes down to how you support your customer. $60 invested into Skyrim gets you a lot more for your money than $60 into Bulletstorm. That is why one game fails and the other breaks records. Effort in = reward out.

The game was very average, and honestly don't see how they think it did well on consoles either. The game dropped in price almost overnight and was in the bargain bin within a few months. The language was just too much for me. I don't mind some language here and there for effect but it felt like they purposely tried to make it as foul as possible in hopes of grabbing some teenage and toung adult attention. Most of the foul language just felt really forced and that was actually my biggest gripe with the game.

The difference between Bethesda and Epic is how they approach the situation. Bethesda could have cancelled Skyrim for PC since Oblivion was pirated too. Instead Bethesda put a TON of effort into Skyrim for PC. They are constantly releasing free patches, fixes, additions. They released mod tools so the community could add more content on their own. While they have DLC plans, the game has been out for 6 months with a ton of free updates and no mention of DLC yet.

The difference is that Skyrim went on to be one of the best selling and most played PC games of all time, and Bulletstorm.. well you know.

It comes down to how you support your customer. $60 invested into Skyrim gets you a lot more for your money than $60 into Bulletstorm. That is why one game fails and the other breaks records. Effort in = reward out.

You know, that's a really good analogy and point.

If I had pirated the game instead of buying it, I probably would have just uninstalled after about half an hour and never looked back. As it is, I felt compelled to finish the game only because I bought it and didn't want the money to be completely wasted. Most obnoxious bunch of characters ever, and the writer failed at making parody funny instead of just annoying.

Literally word for word, this is exactly what I did. Downloaded it to try it out, lots of hype. Absolutely shit console port FPS that wasn't even fun.

The reason it did well on consoles wasn't bc piracy is less there, it was bc buying bulletstorm gave you early access to the GoW3 Beta.

I nearly bought this when it came out but then I saw it used Games for Windows Live and immediately changed my mind. I did buy it in a Steam sale last week because it was so cheap (about £3.50), but I haven't played it yet.

Piracy is a major problem on the PC, but I don't think the solution is to add crap like Games for Windows Live. All that serves to do is to reduce sales further as it puts of people who would have otherwise bought the game.

DRM on PC games simply isn't working, and is only serving deter buyers and reduce sales, while in no way reducing piracy.

I think the demographic this game was aimed at was much younger and immature game players ... and
most likely was designed by said demographic.

Don't know bout you guys, but shooting a deer staring in a cars headlight isn't as fun ....
this game felt like that with their levitation gimmick.

When your game isn't even on the top 100 list on PB, piracy is not a major issue. Bunch of a-holes for using such a lame reason.

Maybe their game was not worth $59 at launch? I bought it at 20 and felt slightly ripped off but not too much. I feel for anybody that spent 60 on it. Ouch.

I'm confused.......

so I guess those damned pirates couldn't get their hands on Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim fast enough to effect sales?

Oh, wait...........they were just outstanding games and our lackluster console port sucked.

So let's try and blame someone else.......I talked to this guy at Crytek and he said it's always those damned pirate guys......damn them anyway.:eek:

Oh yeah the sales with this game had everything to do with piracy and NOTHING to do with the fact it was a $10 quality game marketed at a $50 price

I'm confused.......

so I guess those damned pirates couldn't get their hands on Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim fast enough to effect sales?

Oh, wait...........they were just outstanding games and our lackluster console port sucked.

So let's try and blame someone else.......I talked to this guy at Crytek and he said it's always those damned pirate guys......damn them anyway.:eek:

Mass Effect 3's sales are in the toilet, they've only sold 2.4 million copies on three platforms so far. Nobody wants too touch it because of all the obvious EA DLC Cash in's, the story not mattering with anything you did in 1 and 2 etc etc

Considering Skyrim sold more then 2.4 copies in the first weekend, yeah, ME3's sales are in the toilet

I bought the game when it was bargain basement price and tbh thoroughly enjoyed it.
The sliding, kicking and leash kills were all really good fun and made for hectic gameplay, a refreshing change.

Why would anyone pirate this or any game for that matter at that sort of price.
If you don't want to pay premium price just wait 6 months or so and buy it cheap, at least the developer gets some payment and you negate this sort of bleating from the developers.

Like wise why on earth is it so hard to stop piracy? Just require a CONTINUAL internet connection for continual verification checks while playing.

Yeah Yeah now come all the bleating gamers.....why should I have to have an internet connection.....what if my internet goes down....blah blah blah......tough...piracy has got to stop if we want to see a future pc gaming industry...so thats a small price to pay.

Not even gonna respond to always on internet connection cause its retarded.

If you make good games then people will buy them... No other industry is still having as profitable years in a recession as the gaming industry. I love when they play the piracy card for shitty ports.

Like wise why on earth is it so hard to stop piracy? Just require a CONTINUAL internet connection for continual verification checks while playing.

Just what we need, our game to stop working if the internet hickups. And you act like setting up a fake server would be all that difficult.

I bought the game when it was bargain basement price and tbh thoroughly enjoyed it.
The sliding, kicking and leash kills were all really good fun and made for hectic gameplay, a refreshing change.

Why would anyone pirate this or any game for that matter at that sort of price.
If you don't want to pay premium price just wait 6 months or so and buy it cheap, at least the developer gets some payment and you negate this sort of bleating from the developers.

Yeah Yeah now come all the bleating gamers.....why should I have to have an internet connection.....what if my internet goes down....blah blah blah......tough...piracy has got to stop if we want to see a future pc gaming industry...so thats a small price to pay.

Skyrim has no online check and its sold more then 12 million copies, most of those being on PC

A good game -ALWAYS- sells, developers only quote piracy when they release a bad game that doesn't sell

Ugh, Bulletstorm was kind of like a upsized burger meal. It's kind of appeals to you at a visceral level at first, but afterwards, you just feel kind of queasy and regret the whole thing. Plus you have that plate full of fries that tasted great at the beginning, but now is just a soggy, greasy mess that you feel compelled to stuff down your craw.

Whereas Portal 2 was like sushi dinner. Impeccably presented, exotic, just the right portions, and no guilty, fat-ass feeling afterwards.

Bulletstorm just tried too hard to be funny and failed epicly at it, whereas Portal 2 made me grin from ear to ear from things as mundane as getting drenched in slime or bouncing off the floors and walls like a kid on a trampoline.

I would agree with you but I love greasy , nasty ass hamburgers and I think comparing Bulletstorm to them is an insult on greasy hamburgers everywhere. How about we use a "hot dog" analogy? Hot dog's are perfect for this topic because they are made of lips and assholes :cool:

I'll say basically what I said in the other thread about this; Bulletstorm wasn't a shitty game. I enjoyed it and I actually finished it, which is rare these days for me. However, it was pretty short, definitely had a "neglected PC version" feel to it, and overall just wasn't a AAA title. So basically, Bulletstorm was a $10-15 game that they tried to get $60 for. Hence, the problem with sales.

Well you aren't able to pirate "steam" games are you?...not that I'm any expert on this sort of thing...it can't be too hard to stamp out piracy surely.....for those with rubbish internet connections just distribute 99% of the game content on disc and require the last crucial bit to be downloaded and registered like a "steam" type model? I'm mean come on....with the game industries resources and the supposed huge potential gains from stopping piracy or at least making it so difficult as not to be worth the effort then surely there is a solution?

never heard of Bulletstorm till after it was already out

and i visit gametrailers.com few times a week, and i consider my self a hardcore PC gamer so i think they were not marketing it that well or something lol Might pick it up one day if i see a steam deal, is it even on steam? heh

+1

Epic post.

Couldn't have said it better myself and I will be using your post the next time I see a dev complaining.

Well you aren't able to pirate "steam" games are you?...not that I'm any expert on this sort of thing...it can't be too hard to stamp out piracy surely.....for those with rubbish internet connections just distribute 99% of the game content on disc and require the last crucial bit to be downloaded and registered like a "steam" type model? I'm mean come on....with the game industries resources and the supposed huge potential gains from stopping piracy or at least making it so difficult as not to be worth the effort then surely there is a solution?

Plenty (if not all) Steam games have been cracked.

i had hope for bulletstorm that hope was dragged out into the street in the middle of the night raped tarred and feathered and this was all put on youtube. note to anyone making a game please for the love of everything unholy and holy make a pc version of said game a priority rather then an after thought.

Well you aren't able to pirate "steam" games are you?
<snip>

Steam games are not immune. Ubisoft's always-on internet connection DRM "solution" wasn't even immune and, IIRC, was broken in a day. It seems to have caused more problems for the buyers than for the pirates. Something about a server going down so no one could play it unless they pirated it. More recently, apparently, the legitimate, bought-and-paid-for games were unplayable because of a server move, taking down two of the "non-affected" games in the process.

Bah. Someone else already mentioned it.

Bulletstorm was a crappy game that banked on point gratification (I mean seriously, the target demographic was children with ADD), with little depth and no replayability from my point of view.

The "piracy" card is a scapegoat for developers who are unwilling to realize hard truths: their game sucks.

I was so looking forward to this game and then was so disappointed. I was hoping for another painkiller. With secrets, challenges and so forth. Instead you get a three weapon limit, crates everywhere that disrupt the game so you can buy limited ammo and no real secrets. I barely finished the game, and never went back.

Even as is, they could fix the game. Ditch the weapon limits and the crates. Spawn ammo boxes. Let people play the game however they want to. Eh, will never happen. But it does get tiresome to see companies put out shitty games then blame pirates when it under-performs.

I remember reading user reviews of the demo and came to the conclusion it was a "wait for a Steam sale" game and get it dirt cheap. Turns out it was a fun game with decent level design and graphics, but the short SP campaign makes you wonder why anyone would pay more than $20 for it. The GFWL requirement doesn't help, either.

Mass Effect 3's sales are in the toilet, they've only sold 2.4 million copies on three platforms so far. Nobody wants too touch it because of all the obvious EA DLC Cash in's, the story not mattering with anything you did in 1 and 2 etc etc

Considering Skyrim sold more then 2.4 copies in the first weekend, yeah, ME3's sales are in the toilet

2.4 million x 60 dollars is how much? (144 million by my count)

I bet this "measly" 2.4 million dances circles around Bulletstorm, EA not withstanding.

I thought ME3 was a pretty good game, all in all.......I'm not too worried about the EA involvement.

It sucked..... I won't lie

I PIRATED IT, and i literally played it for 10 minutes, uninstalled it and deleted the ISO. It was not interesting at all. Should I have payed for it in a store, F no, it would have been a total waste of my money.

Maybe companies should release demos 6 weeks before a game comes out, not 6 weeks after.

This is just all hot air that's designed to deflect the failings of the game on behalf of the developers and how it was handled on the pc side of things, a not so well received port being one of them. This helps the developers to save face and keep their good standing with the publisher and investors.

Pay it no attention to all this huffing and puffing. I mean, haven't we heard this song and dance excuse routine before? In fact, If I am not mistaken, they still do not have any accurate data that proves one way or another if piracy actually hurts sales or helps sales, let alone an accurate model to project sales lost by piracy. Over the last 25+ this is something I've paid close attention to because of the guilt I always had for jacking software myself when I was young and poor and didn't have the means to buy software or the moral compass. Now, it's been years and years since I've taken something, played it all the way through and didn't pay for it. I have a steam account loaded with software that I am very proud off.

Don't anyone here worry their pretty little head off. There are hundreds of software houses out there begging publishers like EA for money to get their thousands and thousands of projects developed for the PC. Publishers decide if games like Bulletstorm get published most of the time.

As far as we know, they wanted to start work on Bulletstorm 2 and EA said no. After all, wouldn't Bulletstorm 2 pay the devs money that would allow them to pay their bills? And while they may have been able to move on to other projects that doesn't mean everyone gets to. Someone is out of work over this. Probably several people. You never get the entire story so I wouldn't rush to feel bad for any side of the fence here.

The publishing houses know better than anyone else about piracy and the true cost it has on their bottom line. I remember seeing Minecraft all over the torrents and that guy is a gazillionaire now. What is it exactly that they know? It's easy, the same thing you and I already knew from the very start. If they release a good game, we will buy it.

The experts in this field have said all along, the pirates that pirated the game were not going to pay for this game to start with. And these same experts go on to say, even if there was a full 100% anti-piracy check point in place, these same would-be pirates would just simply not play the game. So it's very difficult to count these lost sales to piracy. No expert on the subject but very much so an expert in the field of "common-freaking-sense"

Back