Bulldozer: Stores are stocked!

I competed for years with a wife but she didn't mind cause it kept me out of her hair. Now we've got a kid and money is much tighter even with 2 jobs and her working fulltime so my retirement from the competition scene is quickly approaching.

You're fortunate and in the minority to have a wife that didn't mind but hope that your kid, marriage and money stay intact and wish you only the best.:)

Fry's hardware of Wilsonville has bulldozers in stock to go on sale on the 11th. The price has still not been released the computers here at Fry's still have the price listed as '???'. They FOR SURE are being released this Tuesday!

Well, I just know it's going to be the Jesus CPU now!

October 11th 2011, or 11-10-11, or 111011, which is 59 in binary.

This just happens to be the number of beads on a rosary,

ERGO: Jesus CPU :D

I hope we see them within a decent timeframe here in Australia. Frankly I'm sick of paying extra and having to wait longer, or importing and waiting for international shipping, which takes just as long and might cost a little extra or a little under.

:(

Not True. I work at frys, our system says the price to be 249.99 for the fx-8150. They have been in the system for a few weeks now. If it changed to ??? yesterday I am not sure, but in the system they said 249.99 when I checked on sunday.

Not True. I work at frys, our system says the price to be 249.99 for the fx-8150. They have been in the system for a few weeks now. If it changed to ??? yesterday I am not sure, but in the system they said 249.99 when I checked on sunday.

Any bundles that you may want to let us know abooot? :D

This thread started with someone claiming a Fry's store will be selling BD today. Can you confirm this at your store?

Fry's hardware of Wilsonville has bulldozers in stock to go on sale on the 11th. The price has still not been released the computers here at Fry's still have the price listed as '???'. They FOR SURE are being released this Tuesday!

Soooo.........? Its Tuesday. Anybody see anything?

Soooo.........? Its Tuesday. Anybody see anything?

Systems are sometimes wrong, and have the wrong date.

That being said, the (unsubstantiated) rumor for the last several weeks has been that NDA is lifted and parts go on sale on the 12th.

Tokyo crosses into October 12th in about an hour. That would make it 11am EST.

This would fit both Fry's computer system Oct 11th date, AND the Oct 12th date that was rumored.

Either way it's just speculation, and we'll have to wait and see.

Zarathustra[H];1037865343 said:

That being said, the (unsubstantiated) rumor for the last several weeks has been that NDA is lifted and parts go on sale on the 12th.

This would fit both Fry's computer system Oct 11th date, AND the Oct 12th date that was rumored.

I was so hoping to wake up today and see some [H] goodness all over this thing. o'well guess it is back to enjoying the speculation show that is bulldozer.

Zarathustra[H];1037865343 said:

Wouldn't there be one NDA time zone (Central US, since AMD is based out of TX) that everyone has to adhere to? So just because it's after Midnight (Wed morning) in Tokyo as I'm typing this, they still would have to wait for the official NDA in US to expire... Right?

Wouldn't there be one NDA time zone (Central US, since AMD is based out of TX) that everyone has to adhere to? So just because it's after Midnight (Wed morning) in Tokyo as I'm typing this, they still would have to wait for the official NDA in US to expire... Right?

That's sort of what I was getting at. Usually one global NDA time is published, while it would make sense for this to be midnight local time in Sunnyvale, stranger things have happened.

Midnight Tokyo has passed, so if the NDA lifts today, then Tokyo wasn't it :p

Maybe London? :p

That would make it 7pm here.

Still all random guesses. We don't even know if October is the month for sure, let alone the 11th or 12th... :p

Zarathustra[H];1037865807 said:
That's sort of what I was getting at. Usually one global NDA time is published, while it would make sense for this to be midnight local time in Sunnyvale, stranger things have happened.

Midnight Tokyo has passed, so if the NDA lifts today, then Tokyo wasn't it :p

Maybe London? :p

That would make it 7pm here.

Still all random guesses. We don't even know if October is the month for sure, let alone the 11th or 12th... :p

Haaaa.... All I know is, I'll be up hitting F5 on [H] around midnight CDT, with a beer and popcorn in my hand.... Should be fun...

I'm staying up too -- will just do homework 'till its release, because if it's good, I won't have time to do it while I'm upgrading my rig! :D

Haaaa.... All I know is, I'll be up hitting F5 on [H] around midnight CDT, with a beer and popcorn in my hand.... Should be fun...

I want to say I'll do that and I probably will. I haven't been this intrigued by an NDA lift since the 4800 launch. Though, I doubt this will be anywhere near as impressive but I could be wrong. :p

I think I was like 16 or 17 when 'Dozer was originally supposed to launch and I'm 22 now. Better late then never I suppose!

Anyone know if any Fry's in SoCal will have it ready tomorrow?

haha.. You are going to run out and buy it same day? :p

I'll probably spend some time reading reviews, then wait for my next payday and order it online. if it launches today/tomorrow that means I'll likely have one in 2.5-3 weeks :p

Wow $300 after taxes, this better be the new top CPU or I am staying 1366 for a couple more releases.

And we wait, as it is Tuesday, and still no Bulldozer news...

I feel like I am waiting for Godot...

Zarathustra[H];1037865946 said:
haha.. You are going to run out and buy it same day? :p

I'll probably spend some time reading reviews, then wait for my next payday and order it online. if it launches today/tomorrow that means I'll likely have one in 2.5-3 weeks :p

Yep, just waiting for the chip. I was going to sell my motherboard to get a SB setup but that's a douche move considering I got the motherboard from a friend as a gift. Win or lose, I'm getting this processor.

Microcenter in Overland Park KS doesn't carry FX bulldozer. I hope they will have soon.

Just poked around Newegg & couldn't find any clues. I've already got the remainder of my wishlist done to build 2 rigs... just need those 8150s...

Microcenter in Overland Park KS doesn't carry FX bulldozer. I hope they will have soon.

Did you talk to anybody there?????? Cuz last Sunday I talked to a very knowledgeable (I know, I was surprised myself) guy, who said they will have them. They were actually getting ready to do "in-house" BIOS flashing on FX CPU/Mobo combos they'll have running as a special...

guy, who said they will have them. They were actually getting ready to do "in-house" BIOS flashing on FX CPU/Mobo combos they'll have running as a special...

So are Asus, MSI, etc. waiting to release the BIOS update for bulldozer the day of? Just wondering cause I ordered the Asus Crosshair V this past weekend from Directron and hoping to be able to drop in BD w/ no issues?

So are Asus, MSI, etc. waiting to release the BIOS update for bulldozer the day of? Just wondering cause I ordered the Asus Crosshair V this past weekend from Directron and hoping to be able to drop in BD w/ no issues?

I've seen links to new BIOS from Asus and MSI, so it's already out there. I'm pretty sure all CHV's are coming with the newest BIOS, as it's Asus's flagship mobo fo Bulldozer...;) I believe Microcenter will flash only mobos they sell as a bundle with FX...

Yep, just waiting for the chip. I was going to sell my motherboard to get a SB setup but that's a douche move considering I got the motherboard from a friend as a gift. Win or lose, I'm getting this processor.

I'm going to get a bulldozer either way as well. I built my 990FX 1090T X6 system as a "waiting for bulldozer rig" back in June when 990FX was launched, and I just couldn't wait any longer to upgrade.

Now that I have a 4Ghz Phenom II X6, the pull to upgrade is not as strong as it was back then, but I will still get a Bulldozer in the near future. I'm just not in as much of a rush as I was before, so I'll let other expenses (like $1,200 for a set of 4 snow tires and rims) come first.

Zarathustra[H];1037866606 said:
I'm going to get a bulldozer either way as well. I built my 990FX 1090T X6 system as a "waiting for bulldozer rig" back in June when 990FX was launched, and I just couldn't wait any longer to upgrade.

Now that I have a 4Ghz Phenom II X6, the pull to upgrade is not as strong as it was back then, but I will still get a Bulldozer in the near future. I'm just not in as much of a rush as I was before, so I'll let other expenses (like $1,200 for a set of 4 snow tires and rims) come first.

Blizzak's? I need to pick-up some winter tires for the upcoming seasons. I was sliding around last year like hell in my jetta.

Hopefully we can see some official reviews tomorrow too. We need to see how it really stacks against Sandybridge.

Blizzak's? I need to pick-up some winter tires for the upcoming seasons. I was sliding around last year like hell in my jetta.

I'm torn on which ones to get this time. On my old Saab 9-5 (2004 Aero) I had a set of Continental ContiWinterContact TS810's in 225/45-17 and I absolutely LOVED them. They were winter tires with 95% of the snow traction as some of the most aggressive winter tires, but with none of the drawbacks (squirrely handling, road noise, dry/wet traction, etc).

This is perfect for Boston where we get <10 snowstorms (I define a snowstorm as >12" of snow) a year and the rest of the time its just cold wet and slushy.

I went looking for these tires for my new car (2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 BioPower) and it turns out they discontinued them. :( Europe got an improved TS830 variant, but we only got the ContiWinterExtremeContact which while OK in the snow, is terrible on dry/wet roads.

So now I am torn on what to get.

The Blizzaks review well in the snow, but they are also a traditional winter tire with all of the bad side effects that entails.

Luke at the TireRack recommended Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3's if I liked the Conti's. supposedly great on dry/wet/cold roads, but they don't review as well as my old Conti's in the slippery stuff. and they are also more expensive.

The new car came with 245/45-18's, but they recommend going down in size (both rim and width) for winter tires as it cuts through the snow better, so my plan is to get a set of inexpensive 17" rims. The models that come with 17" rims have 235/50-17's, but there are very few tires in this size, and they are all pretty expensive. According to my calculations I should also be able to fit 225/55-17's, and there are plenty of options in this size.

Now I just have to pick some...

Paul from NewEgg confirm on the Eggxpert forum that NewEgg will sale Dozer tomorrow

"FX-series Processors based on AMD's long-awaited Bulldozer microarchitecture are finally arriving and will be available for sale as of October 12, 2011."

Paul from NewEgg confirm on the Eggxpert forum that NewEgg will sale Dozer tomorrow

"FX-series Processors based on AMD's long-awaited Bulldozer microarchitecture are finally arriving and will be available for sale as of October 12, 2011."

Link or DIE! :D

While this won't be a problem for many users who 1) are familiar with BIOS updating procedures and 2) have been using their AM3+ motherboard with a compatible Athlon/Phenom CPU (example: Gigabyte CPU support list), it will behoove many who are upgrading to Zambezi to update prior to dropping in their new FX processor.

Uh oh, that's contrary to what JF-AMD said:
If you put a BD in an AM3+ it will boot with no issue.
from http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/791495-bulldozer-blog-live-696.html#post15158654
He should be more correct since he is AMD's Director of Product Marketing. But if this statement is incorrect, I will be greatly irritated as I don't have a suitable interim chip to flash my board prior to installation. I would prefer not to buy one just for the sake of flashing either.

Edit: I have a feeling wyld might be confused with the AM3 and AM3+ socket: http://www.techpowerup.com/142251/A...-ASUS-AM3-Motherboards-Using-BIOS-Update.html
It would make no sense for a 990FX AM3+ motherboard to NOT be able to support Bulldozer live.

Last edited:
Uh oh, that's contrary to what JF-AMD said:
from http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/791495-bulldozer-blog-live-696.html#post15158654
He should be more correct since he is AMD's Director of Product Marketing. But if this statement is incorrect, I will be greatly irritated as I don't have a suitable interim chip to flash my board prior to installation. I would prefer not to buy one just for the sake of flashing either.

Edit: I have a feeling wyld might be confused with the AM3 and AM3+ socket: http://www.techpowerup.com/142251/A...-ASUS-AM3-Motherboards-Using-BIOS-Update.html
It would make no sense for a 990FX AM3+ motherboard to NOT be able to support Bulldozer live.

That could also be interpreted as: AM3 users need to flash their BIOS before installing the CPU, but this is not a problem cause many users either 1.) know how to flash their bios or 2.) have an AM3+ motherboard that doesn't need flashing.

This thread started with someone claiming a Fry's store will be selling BD today. Can you confirm this at your store?

No none of the stores have the processors. No bundles since there are no processors, I am sure they will do something, but for now AMD seems to have failed on this launch, expect low supply on these chips, we usually get the processors weeks before launch. We had sandy bridge in the system and in stock almost 3 weeks before launch date. AMD seems to have dropped the ball on this, the system says the expected arrival is around the 24th, it could be here next week or could be here 2 weeks after expected date. I mean if they had enough newegg wouldn't be already out of stock on the fx-8150.

No none of the stores have the processors. No bundles since there are no processors, I am sure they will do something, but for now AMD seems to have failed on this launch, expect low supply on these chips, we usually get the processors weeks before launch. We had sandy bridge in the system and in stock almost 3 weeks before launch date. AMD seems to have dropped the ball on this, the system says the expected arrival is around the 24th, it could be here next week or could be here 2 weeks after expected date. I mean if they had enough newegg wouldn't be already out of stock on the fx-8150.

Do you work at Fry's? Can you check three locations for me because the ones I called are getting shipments today, tomorrow, and Sunday.

Back