• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget Build advice

Half of you have AMD's in your sigs for your desktops, why is that when someone says they are thinking of buying one you say its a bad idea?
 
I'm not saying that buying an AMD processor is a bad idea. I'm just wondering whether you're looking at a hex-core for gaming or for your media-editing.

With this Sandy Bridge fiasco, no one here is telling you not to go AMD.
 
"Hex" equals six. AMD identifies its hex-cores as X6.

Though more games are becoming multi-threaded (or, can utilize more CPU cores), they aren't as resource-intensive as Photoshop or Premiere.
 
Also, if I get a 6 core 125watt proc, will my Antec 650watt PSU be enough still?
Yes. Though how old is your True Power Trio?
Half of you have AMD's in your sigs for your desktops, why is that when someone says they are thinking of buying one you say its a bad idea?

That's not the reason. Besides a few self-avowed fanboys *cough bastage cough* :)D), we tend to recommend parts based on their price to performance ratio, the user's location, the budget for the system, and the needs of the user.

So in your case, since you live near a Microcenter, then your best bet would be one of those AMD Phenom II X6 combos or one of the Phenom II X4 combos. If you were not near a Microcenter, then your best bet would have been the Core i5 750 if within budget or the Phenom II 955 Black Edition if costs savings were needed.
 
I still think the phenom 965 @ that asus mobo is a hell of a deal for 213 dollars. thats a heck of a deal for that price. I think I need to move so I can be near a microcenter
 
Yes. Though how old is your True Power Trio?


That's not the reason. Besides a few self-avowed fanboys *cough bastage cough* :)D), we tend to recommend parts based on their price to performance ratio, the user's location, the budget for the system, and the needs of the user.

So in your case, since you live near a Microcenter, then your best bet would be one of those AMD Phenom II X6 combos or one of the Phenom II X4 combos. If you were not near a Microcenter, then your best bet would have been the Core i5 750 if within budget or the Phenom II 955 Black Edition if costs savings were needed.
Hey now I may be sb amd fan boy, but I admit the sandybridge chips are a better value for the money. I have recommended them to everyone with the budget.
 
so what is better/faster 955 @ 3.2 or the 750 @ 2.66? gaming wise. I am also not a big fan of OCing unless I can OC my CPU and not my memory & I like to OC on stock voltage

From what ive read is the even tho the i5 750 is at 2.66ghz & the 955 is at 3.2 the i5 750 will keep up with the 955 & sometimes surpass it. So overclocking the i5 750 would be the best option? Im asking for myself cause im building my rig this frida7 & its either the 955 or the i5 750. I cant wait for sandy
 
Last edited:
@4LC4PON3 I work about 20 minutes from the Chicago-Westmont one, I can pick up your stuff and ship it to ya if you want. :) No idea how much shipping would be, but USPS priority isn't that much, maybe $20 at most?

@tiraides I thought it meant more than just 6core, like how it does threading or something since it performed better on the Adobe stuff

@Danny I understand, cost savings is an issue, and the fact that I really don't use it as intensely as most of you probably do.
And the Trio is about a year old. It's still quiet and I clean it pretty regularly.

I don't like OCing that much, but back in the day it was very iffy and buggy, now that you can get actual stable processors running almost a full Ghz faster that stock speed while still being relatively cool and stable, that's a thing. I may dabble in it this time around.

The 965 is a hell of a deal, but if I'm ready to spend $300 for proc/mobo, that x6 looks awesome, I think that'll be my final choice.

They also have 8GB of corsair memory for the same price as the 8GB of value G.Skill.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347304

1 question about crossfire, can I get 2 lower priced cards, run them in crossfire, and have them perform better than a single expensive card?
 
Hey now I may be sb amd fan boy, but I admit the sandybridge chips are a better value for the money. I have recommended them to everyone with the budget.
True true.
so what is better/faster 955 @ 3.2 or the 750 @ 2.66? gaming wise. I am also not a big fan of OCing unless I can OC my CPU and not my memory & I like to OC on stock voltage

From what ive read is the even tho the i5 750 is at 2.66ghz & the 955 is at 3.2 the i5 750 will keep up with the 955 & sometimes surpass it. So overclocking the i5 750 would be the best option? Im asking for myself cause im building my rig this frida7 & its either the 955 or the i5 750. I cant wait for sandy
Yes. The i5 750 is stil faster than the 955 even at stock speeds. So yes once you start overclocking, the performance difference is even greater.

And the Trio is about a year old.
That doesn't sound right: the Trios haven't been sold since 2008 IIRC. You absolutely sure that you have Antec Truepower Trio 650W?

They also have 8GB of corsair memory for the same price as the 8GB of value G.Skill.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347304

$95 isn't the same as $80. Oh around here, we don't ever factor in rebates. They're not guaranteed.

1 question about crossfire, can I get 2 lower priced cards, run them in crossfire, and have them perform better than a single expensive card?
As bastage said, a good majority of the times, you're better off with a single faster card.

In most vases your better off with a single faster card

??? :D
 
ok I guess then im going with a i5 760 build over the 955 for myself & and some OC :)

good to know so I can now finally get an order in @ newegg to get a system up and running.
 
Last edited:
Yes. The i5 750 is stil faster than the 955 even at stock speeds. So yes once you start overclocking, the performance difference is even greater.
Is the i5-750 faster than the 1090T black edition?
Microcenter has an i5-760, still Lynnfield, still clocked at a stock 2.8, so what's the difference?

That doesn't sound right: the Trios haven't been sold since 2008 IIRC. You absolutely sure that you have Antec Truepower Trio 650W?
Yup, eBay. Still brand new when I bought it though.
I opened up the case and looked at the PSU myself to get the model number because I couldn't remember what it was exactly.

$95 isn't the same as $80. Oh around here, we don't ever factor in rebates. They're not guaranteed.
How are rebates not guaranteed, they are listed in the price. It's kinda odd for a company to risk a lawsuit over $20.

Vases - swype failure for cases
You're replying mobile?!
 
Is the i5-750 faster than the 1090T black edition?
Microcenter has an i5-760, still Lynnfield, still clocked at a stock 2.8, so what's the difference?
Yes. The i5-760 is slightly faster than the i5-750, but it's more widely available and, in certain areas, around the same price as the i5-750

Yup, eBay. Still brand new when I bought it though.
I opened up the case and looked at the PSU myself to get the model number because I couldn't remember what it was exactly.
Since you're not going with a high-end video card, it will work with your setup. But I would recommend a new power supply should you ever go for a newer, better video card soon. (You should definitely replace it with your next complete system build, as you are using two-year old technology.)

How are rebates not guaranteed, they are listed in the price. It's kinda odd for a company to risk a lawsuit over $20.
There has been many instances of a manufacturer not honoring a rebate even when the person submitting the rebate did everything correctly. Plus, you're waiting weeks for the rebate check/card to arrive, which does you no good if you have to keep everything under a strict budget.

You're replying mobile?!
Wonderful thing, huh?
 
I can't imagine a 4 core proc being faster than a 6 core proc, OC'ing aside. Hyperthreading has always struck me as a bad idea. Although I did read that the OC'ing of the AMD procs are only dynamic, and it only OC's half of the cores, but that also keeps the proc temps lower too.

Since you're not going with a high-end video card, it will work with your setup. But I would recommend a new power supply should you ever go for a newer, better video card soon. (You should definitely replace it with your next complete system build, as you are using two-year old technology.)
Understandable, I'll probably pick up a 750watt PSU with this build, because I decided last night to use my current setup as a media center machine, so I'll stick it's guts into a mini-tower case, or one of those neat receiver looking cases, stick XP media center edition on it (or LinuxMCE, although I didn't have a good experience with this the last time I played with it), and put it out by my TV which has a VGA port on it.

There has been many instances of a manufacturer not honoring a rebate even when the person submitting the rebate did everything correctly. Plus, you're waiting weeks for the rebate check/card to arrive, which does you no good if you have to keep everything under a strict budget.
I've never run into one, but I understand the waiting part, as most of those rebates are 6 to 8 weeks.


Yea I normally do from my phone during the day while at work.. Keeps me entertained while smoking out in the cold.
Nice hehe, they should make a HardOCP droid app.
 
I can't imagine a 4 core proc being faster than a 6 core proc
Yeah it's true: Sometimes sheer improvement in clock speed performance is enough to overtake any advantage in multiple cores. Since games don't scale past four cores these days, the extra two cores of a hex-core CPU doesn't help much unless you have multiple apps running in the background. Even then, the sheer clock speed performance of a CPU can negate that advantage somewhat. So yes the Core i5 750/760 is faster than the 1090T in games.
Although I did read that the OC'ing of the AMD procs are only dynamic, and it only OC's half of the cores, but that also keeps the proc temps lower too.
I've never seen or heard of that.
Understandable, I'll probably pick up a 750watt PSU with this build
I recommend these 750W PSUs:
$110 - Corsair 750TX 750W PSU
$126 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
$126 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 Blue 750W PSU
$136 - XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W Modular PSU
$150 - Corsair 750HX 750W Modular PSU
 
Ive been thinking all night about what im going to do lol I found a few 955 builds to go with one board offers 3 PCI slits for Tri fire & the other offers Quad fire lol I will never use them tho. I may end up grabbing this build sicne I cant seem to the an i5 760 with board under 300 that supports crossfire

ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 (PCI Express 2.0 x16 = x3 slots)
955 black

$260.00

BIOSTAR TA890FXE (PCI Express 2.0 x16 = x4 slots)
955 black

$278.00
 
Last edited:
@Danny I was reading this review http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/ and on page 3 the reviewer was talking about the hex-core only OC'ing half it's cores... unless this is a quirk of the hex-cores, or I read it wrong.

Also, I have always ran Antec, so it looks like the TP-750 is the one for me (I don't care if it has a light in it).

I'll probably be picking up that 760 from Microcenter.
I have been checking out the mobo's available here: http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...4294966996+4294964576&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct& and the ones in the $100 - $120 range only have a single 16x PCIe slot. I'm not sure I want to make the jump to the $179 MSI P55-GD65 on the off chance I run a second video card in the future... but is that board simply better than the Asus P7P55D-E LX or the MSI P55-CD53? All 3 of them seem to have the same kind of reviews.
 
It you don't see yourself going with a dual-card setup any time soon, then stick with a board with one PCI-E x16 slot for now. The worst-case scenario in this situation is that you end up buying a better video card and then selling your old card to recoup some of your money.
 
@Danny turbo boost and OC seemed to be used interchangeably on the Intel side, so I just assumed it was the same on the AMD side.

And doesn't any board that has 2 16x slots pretty much support crossfire? Or does it specifically have to state that the motherboard supports crossfire?
 
And doesn't any board that has 2 16x slots pretty much support crossfire? Or does it specifically have to state that the motherboard supports crossfire?

Depends on the manufacturer and chipset. If it's an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI amde motherboard, then yes any of their two PCI-E x16 mobos will support Crossfire. I think AsRcok and FoxConn have to specifically stated that there must be Crossfire support. In terms of chipset, if it's an Nvidia chipset, then no, it won't support Crossfire.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
Just out of curiosity, why aren't the Intel motherboards ever suggested? I see a lot of them that have some pretty nice specs, for pretty much the same price point as ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
no overclocking ability really & lack of features. I decided after talking to Danny today that im going with the i5 760 as well. He really made me think about not goign with another AMD build. I did notice on another set of forums that users are selling off there 2500Ks with brand new boards for cheap I thought about picking a set up but I dont trust buying parts off people online. Been ripped off a couple of times.
 
Just out of curiosity, why aren't the Intel motherboards ever suggested? I see a lot of them that have some pretty nice specs, for pretty much the same price point as ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

The problem with Intel's lower-end motherboards do not use an all-solid-capacitor design (but instead use a mixture of old-style vented capacitors and solid capacitors).. The "BIOS"es of that company's Media Series motherboards have a very limited number of overclocking settings to choose from (and in the case of the recalled H67 motherboards, no overclocking for the CPU whatsoever besides the Turbo Boost On/Off feature). And the cheaper of the two standard ATX P67 mobos (also recalled) has way too many PCI-Legacy slots for its own good -- three PCI-Legacy slots, two of which should have been omitted in favor of a relocation of one of that mobo's PCI-e x1 slots from next to the primary x16 slot plus one additional PCI-e x1 slot.

And that company's LGA 1156 mobos (P55 or H55 chipset) never came with onboard SATA 6.0 Gbps or USB 3.0 controllers at all. The Extreme Series versions of the P55 mobos have two extra SATA 3.0 Gbps ports (controlled by an onboard Marvell chipset).

In other words, the cheaper models in the company's entire line are lackluster while the higher-end models are a bit too expensive for what they offer.
 
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why aren't the Intel motherboards ever suggested? I see a lot of them that have some pretty nice specs, for pretty much the same price point as ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

There pretty lack luster for enthusiasts. But for a work type computer I highly recommend them. Intel has a great track record for reliability that few others can match.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
@E4g1e Yeah I noticed the lack of 6GB/s SATAs and USB 3.0 ports on the intel boards, I was really surprised by that.

@4LC4PON3 I'm gonna go with the i5-760 and that ASUS P7P55D-E board. The only differences I can see between that board and the PRO version of it is the PRO has crossfire (8x/8x), the sound card has a coax out, and it has one more 3GB/s SATA port, none of which I will ever really need.

I found out that my card I wanted to use for this is expired, so I have to wait until next week to make my order, but I'll definitely be picking the stuff up then.
 
yeah the reason i got this board was because I didnt need crossfire I ended up going from 351 ish to 304 by using that combo instead on the 760 combo
 
@4LC4PON3 I'm gonna go with the i5-760 and that ASUS P7P55D-E board. The only differences I can see between that board and the PRO version of it is the PRO has crossfire (8x/8x), the sound card has a coax out, and it has one more 3GB/s SATA port, none of which I will ever really need.

Actually the P7P55D-E has support for Crossfire as well. However the Pro has SLI support unlike the regular D-E.

EDIT: Oh you're talking about the P7P55D-E LX, not the P7P55D-E.
 
Yeah sorry, the LX board like what he got, I guess I left off the LX when I copy/pasted the board he picked when I replied to him.
 
I was going to get the P7P55D-E that supported crossfire but newegg didnt have it in stock for the last few days so I made a choice & chose the LX. I didnt need crossfire anyways at my Res
 
Back
Top