• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget basic gaming PC challenge -- $400

mattinv

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
473
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to put together a PC for one of my friend. It's a gift for him and my finance are very limited. I'm trying to reuse parts I have on hand from one of his old PC (a Dell), which includes the HDD, screen, keyboard and mouse. Now, I still need the rest.
Objective: gaming (COD, BB2, etc...)
Here is what I came up with:

Case (mini ITX): Lan Gear MOM (Free) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507180
Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core ($115)
ECS H55H-I LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard ($80) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135259
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity ($140)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($90) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211364
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS ($50)
SAMSUNG Black 8X DVD+R Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM ($30)

Total: $505 (tax included) no shipping
Of course, if I could get closer to $400, it would be great. I just don't know what combination would work better. Maybe working around the CPU/MB combo???
 
Last edited:
What's the size/resolution of the LCD screen that he'll be reusing? I know the mini ITX case is free but, I wouldn't bother with it.

Also, what about the O/S?
 
Last edited:
What's the size/resolution of the LCD screen that he'll be reusing? I know the mini ITX case is free but, I wouldn't bother with it.
I'm not sure, it's pretty old and small. My bet: 1440 x 900 (17"). The 5770 will do just fine with that for most games.
The mini ITX was because his first PC is small and he wanted to keep that way. Plus I have 1 spare sitting there.
Also, what about the O/S?
Windows XP
 
Last edited:
Slightly modified.
OPTION#2

Case (mini ITX): Lan Gear MOM (Free) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507180
Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core ($115)
ECS H55H-I LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard ($80) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135259
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity ($140)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($90) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211364
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply ($30) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3946032&SID=skim2305X575088
SAMSUNG Black 8X DVD+R Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM ($30)

Total: $485 (tax included) no shipping
 
Last edited:
Yes! Thank you. LoL Let's see here

OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 1600 + HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB both for $204.98 ($20 MIR on RAM, $10 MIR on Video Card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.443051

AMD Athlon II x2 245 Regor 2.9ghz for $58.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687

MSI 740GN-P25 AM3 AMD 740G for $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130288

LG 22X Sata DVD Burner for $17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136180

Rosewill R102-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower for $29.99 ($10 off w/ promo code)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147111

Antec Earthwatts Green EA-380D for $44.99 ($10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

Total: $406.93
Shipping: $9.76
Grand Total: $416.69
 
Slightly modified.
OPTION#3

Case (mini ITX): Lan Gear MOM (Free) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507180
Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core ($115)
ECS H55H-I LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard ($80) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135259
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity ($140)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($85) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211364
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply ($30) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3946032&SID=skim2305X575088
SAMSUNG Black 8X DVD+R Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM ($30)

Total: $465 with combo deal (tax included) no shipping
$435 with mail and rebate.
Shipping: $6.77
 
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply ($30) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3946032&SID=skim2305X575088

Yeah that's not a good choice. That PSU is basically a 400W PSU at just room temperature IIRC. So considering that this will be in ITX setup, that the internals of a PSU can get significantly hotter than 25C, and that PSUs' power output/quality degrade with temperature, I do not recommend going with that PSU. I'd stick with the Corsair 400CX that you had earlier. Significantly higher quality and rated at 50C.

@ zaxour
Note that the OP is building a mini-ITX setup. The mobo you linked to is a mATX.
 
Yeah that's not a good choice. That PSU is basically a 400W PSU at just room temperature IIRC. So considering that this will be in ITX setup, that the internals of a PSU can get significantly hotter than 25C, and that PSUs' power output/quality degrade with temperature, I do not recommend going with that PSU. I'd stick with the Corsair 400CX that you had earlier. Significantly higher quality and rated at 50C.

@ zaxour
Note that the OP is building a mini-ITX setup. The mobo you linked to is a mATX.

Actually, "MOM" from Lan Gear is very well ventilated with a 120mm fan blowing right on the PSU intake, so I'm not too worry about that. I'd be surprise if it even go over 25C. Plus the 5770 don't draw more than 108 W. The CPU is rated 73W. Let's say 40W for everything else, which is plenty. That leaves us a total of 221W with a PSU rated 460W at 25C. We have a good 48% margin, I would think this is safe.

Yes, mini ITX board require but I think the ECS is perfect for the job.
 
Actually, "MOM" from Lan Gear is very well ventilated with a 120mm fan blowing right on the PSU intake, so I'm not too worry about that. I'd be surprise if it even go over 25C. Plus the 5770 don't draw more than 108 W. The CPU is rated 73W. Let's say 40W for everything else, which is plenty. That leaves us a total of 221W with a PSU rated 460W at 25C. We have a good 48% margin, I would think this is safe.

While your power esimitation isn't off, your PSU temps are significantly off. Regardless of ventilation, many PSUs will go higher than 25C no matter. It's a bit naive to assume that the PSU will not go over 25C. Ask any PSU expert in the world and they'll tell you that. You also missed the fact that the PSU is a 400W PSU at room temperature. Which means at higher temps, it's not gonna be a 400W PSU.
 
Hehe, looks like OP still wants to stick with the ITX and ITX mobo form factor. 3 builds he configured yet, still cost more than the Micro ATX case/mobo I listed earlier.

Alright, if the 17" is an old and small monitor, it will definitely be 1280x1024 or, maybe the WS 1440x900 res.

$405 yet still capable to play games at 1280x1024 or 1440x900

Case (mini ITX): Lan Gear MOM (Free)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507180

OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 + Intel Pentium G6950 at 2.8GHz both for $163.98 ($20 MIR on RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.457981

ECS H55H-I LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Mini ITX for $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135259

XFX Radeon HD 5670 512MB for $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466

LG 22X Sata DVD Burner for $17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136180

Antec Earthwatts Green EA-380D for $44.99 ($10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

Total: $396.94
Shipping: $8.70
Grand Total: $405.64
 
Hehe, looks like OP still wants to stick with the ITX and ITX mobo form factor. 3 builds he configured yet, still cost more than the Micro ATX case/mobo I listed earlier.

Alright, if the 17" is an old and small monitor, it will definitely be 1280x1024 or, maybe the WS 1440x900 res.

$405 yet still capable to play games at 1280x1024 or 1440x900

Case (mini ITX): Lan Gear MOM (Free)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507180

OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 + Intel Pentium G6950 at 2.8GHz both for $163.98 ($20 MIR on RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.457981

ECS H55H-I LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Mini ITX for $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135259

XFX Radeon HD 5670 512MB for $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466

LG 22X Sata DVD Burner for $17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136180

Antec Earthwatts Green EA-380D for $44.99 ($10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

Total: $396.94
Shipping: $8.70
Grand Total: $405.64

Lol, yes, the mini ITX makes it a bit more. But the case is free, so at the end, it's almost a win win.
I think that you are right, the only way to get to $400 is to drop the 5770 for the 5670. It just sucks because the 5770 is roughly 50% better in quite a few games...
In this case, what about the 4850 at the same price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901
It's slightly better than the 5670. Same exact price. $89.99
 
Holy crap, I did not see that! LoL. Yes, get the Radeon HD 4850 for $89.99. It will definitely be faster than the 5670.
 
Yes! Thank you. LoL Let's see here

OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 1600 + HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB both for $204.98 ($20 MIR on RAM, $10 MIR on Video Card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo... this? Pretty sweet combo, but idk about OCZ.
 
It's $90 AR. But even at $120 it's still a pretty damn good deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...121376-L0E&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

Definitely up the PSU back to the Corsair 400CX if you go with the above GPU.

Yeah that is definitely a good deal.

What are opinions on this? Pretty sweet combo, but idk about OCZ.

IDK about OCZ and IDK about HIS lol. Both will work but with the brands you might be sacrificing reliability and gaining poor customer support (I've heard horror stories about HIS, not so many about OCZ).
 
Back
Top