Breath of the Wild 2

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't think we have a thread for this yet, and it's gonna be a while before we really have that much to talk about, but here's the gameplay trailer revealed today at the Nintendo Direct:

Of note is that this *appears* to be running on original Switch hardware if the frame rate, texture resolution, LOD etc is any indication. I had a personal theory that if a new Switch iteration was going to be announced, BotW2 would be a showcase for it, and even if nothing was announced, some hints of it might be deduced from the trailer... but it definitely just looks like BotW in terms of fidelity.

In BOTW 1, the sheikaslate was the gimmick. This one shows some sort of metal appendage on links arm. wonder if there is a new gimmick coming to switch to facilitate this pay element...

Looks like Link is still not back to his lefty self, so pass. This right-handed person, whoever he is, is just an imposter.

Oh no, it's Nintendo! Hurry, bash it for its color palette while exclaiming how "kiddie" it is and you aren't!
It has nothing to do with the "kiddie" crap. It is just a overated shit game that is only popular cause of the name. I would love a old school Zelda like LttP or OoT.

It has nothing to do with the "kiddie" crap. It is just a overated shit game that is only popular cause of the name. I would love a old school Zelda like LttP or OoT.
i dunno, i don't see what's so great about the name "Breath of the Wild"

Name had nothing to do with it for me, botw is actually the only Zelda game I've enjoyed and completed. I could never get into any of the previous ones.

Name had nothing to do with it for me, botw is actually the only Zelda game I've enjoyed and completed. I could never get into any of the previous ones.
name checks out. ;)
botw was very different that previous games. og fans didnt take to it. thats all.

I think the biggest complaint in botw was the weapons breaking so quickly. I hope they fix that...
so is it skyward sword, in reverse?
new gameplay mechanics looks like it was inspired by Braid. Battle and puzzle-solving by using quick time-travel mechanic. I guess that's kinda new for the franchise? Personally I'd love a darker more mature Zelda game, like a cross between Witcher and Dark Souls, but I guess there's always a good market for quality kid-friendly games some adults also enjoy.

I think the biggest complaint in botw was the weapons breaking so quickly. I hope they fix that...

new gameplay mechanics looks like it was inspired by Braid. Battle and puzzle-solving by using quick time-travel mechanic. I guess that's kinda new for the franchise? Personally I'd love a darker more mature Zelda game, like a cross between Witcher and Dark Souls, but I guess there's always a good market for quality kid-friendly games some adults also enjoy.
If you look at the rest of the year slate for nintendo, mature doesn't appear to be the audience they are looking for. Been my complaint about them for years. I think i've put more time in Hades than any other game on my switch.

the thing about that mechanic that gave so many people a knee jerk reaction about it, in my humble opinion, is just that it's so different and goes against the "norms" of action/action rpg looter games. everybody just got accustomed to "loot weapon, use it as much as you want except maybe for occasional repair costs" so anything different from that is met with ACK I HATE IT!

if you look at it just in terms of a mechanic and not "something that went against the grain" it's a fun strategic element in the game. forces you to think about your limited inventory space, what types of weapons to keep and which to dump (e.g. you want something wooden if you go into a thunderstorm, a hammer or club for breaking rocks or crates, something fire/ice/lightning, etc) and how to approach each fight. for example you might have a high dps weapon that's about to break so the best use of it is either to throw it and get double damage or save that last hit for an enemy type that's sensitive to it. or do you just decide to drop it and "waste" that list hit to make room for something weaker but with more durability?

long story short it's just another game mechanic like any other that actually does add interesting strategy elements, but experienced gamers just assume it would be like every other game with weapons that basically last forever. the way the game plays out which change *drastically* without (or with significantly less) weapon damage.

Not a huge fan of the weapon durability mechanic myself - not so much that they whittle down, but that you'd have to hold so many. I would've preferred you used whetstones to 'fix' metal-based weapons (that lost effectiveness, but didn't break), and the wood-based weapons would break after extended use. That way you wouldn't have so many damned weapons of the same kind in your possession. Master Sword could have the same whetstone mechanic, however at full health it wouldn't lose durability and inflict more damage.

Still, even with its annoying weapon system it's still one of my favorite open-world survival games. My only regret is not being able to play the game as a kid, but as a jaded 30-something year old.

There's only really ever been one "Dark" Zelda game though, and it's the dark sheep of the entire thing, Zelda II Adventure of Link. I actually liked it, warts and all. In fact, I liked it a lot! I'd actually like something along those lines but it just didn't do well.

There's only really ever been one "Dark" Zelda game though, and it's the dark sheep of the entire thing, Zelda II Adventure of Link. I actually liked it, warts and all. In fact, I liked it a lot! I'd actually like something along those lines but it just didn't do well.
People call it the black sheep but everyone that hated it as a kid had the opposite feelings for it when replaying it as a adult. I personally like it more then Zelda 1 as a kid.

There's only really ever been one "Dark" Zelda game though
If you don't think that Majora's Mask is "dark" I really wonder just what it takes to fit your criteria. That game is literally a metaphor for loneliness, depression and suicide.

People call it the black sheep but everyone that hated it as a kid had the opposite feelings for it when replaying it as a adult. I personally like it more then Zelda 1 as a kid.
I think it was a cross of things. It was vastly different, it was dark, it was hard. You can sort of see where they were going but they didn't pull it off, translation issues didn't help.
If you don't think that Majora's Mask is "dark" I really wonder just what it takes to fit your criteria. That game is literally a metaphor for loneliness, depression and suicide.
Depressing isn't really "dark" though, and for a dark souls style Zelda that one doesn't hit the stride. Zelda II sells itself sort of as a flat out hell to start, the art style even is remarkably off, so is most of it. Even the game over is kind off for the series. Not that all the games can't be dark, they all are at times but I think II embraces it and runs with it. And "end of the world in X time" isn't really a dark trope in gaming, it's Tuesday.

1626388006741.png

Let's just agree to disagree about having different definitions of the word "dark."

Being the first game to establish a time loop as a game mechanic makes it kinda hard to be a trope.
Also, that's not why the game is "dark." It's because all 4 of the transformation masks that you acquire involve the original soul of the creature you got the mask from dieing due to loneliness, not fulfilling a dream, or suicide. Almost all of the bombers notebook and most of the subquests have seriously dark connontations. Whether its saving a farm from aliens - where all the cows are taken and the family is left to die without em. (That storyline involves kidnapping a little girl. There's a father who got horribly deformed trying to find his son while he can still remain tiny bits of humanity. There's a big huge questline about trying to reunite two lovers who want to see eachother again even though they know the world is going to end in a few hours. Hell, the entire plotline of the game is link trying to find the only person who knows his whole history abandoning him. There's even the dead soul of a Zorra trying to have you save his children because he knew he wasn't up for the task and therefore gave up on life.
Even without the total world destruction at the end of the 3 days, every area of the game was already destined to die before you even get to them. Finishing each temple revives the area, but only for < 3 days unless you can stop the moon falling.

Saying the game isn't "dark souls" enough, when dark souls came out 11 years later is kinda funny to me.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Zelda II had your blood sprinkled over the ashes of gannon as a human sacrifice when you died three times and promptly stripped you of any experience you had before punting you back to the start point. Comedically funny because that meant any P bags you'd picked up were now wasted and the game had multiple ways to one hit kill you and enemies that were/are bullshit.

In terms of environment, plot line, and difficulty it was just darker and harder than the other games.

Back