Both versions of MGS V coming to Steam.

Steam's storefront is being hammered. All I think I saw was $13.39 for the game. I think that price is close to what it is. I can't stay connected long enough to load the page before it disappears again.

BTW, this will more than likely be part of the Steam Winter sale, since they are not allowing pre orders and its being released on the same day the sale begins.
Same thing they did for Metal Gear Rising. Expect some discount, maybe 33%

Ground Zeroes is indeed part of the Steam Winter sale...price is currently $13.39 (33% off) for the next 47 hours...

I hear Ground Zeroes has an 11 page Metal Gear backstory guide you can read through in the Game Menu

Yeah they summarize the entire Peace Walker story in those.
GZ is direct squeal to Peace Walker. Then comes the Phantom Pain.

so how does the game look graphics wise?

Thats the only reason I want it. To see it maxed out. It certainly (to me) isn't even worth the discounted price for a demo. I see some people saying "Oh I bought it so I can get the controls down for when Phantom Pain comes out.". Ok. I can just do that when Phantom Pain actually comes out. I'd say itll be <$10 in a month, probably just wait.

Thats the only reason I want it. To see it maxed out. It certainly (to me) isn't even worth the discounted price for a demo. I see some people saying "Oh I bought it so I can get the controls down for when Phantom Pain comes out.". Ok. I can just do that when Phantom Pain actually comes out. I'd say itll be <$10 in a month, probably just wait.

It's not a demo. If this is a demo so is every 5-10 hour game.

I have had it on PS4 for months.
I have over 40 hours played. I bought it on sale for 12 dollars.
The format is completely different from the original game, but this aint no demo.

But if it bothers you so much, just wait for TPP to come out or the inevitable GZ+TPP bundle(Which probably will not happen at launch).

How are the M/KB controls?

Menus can't be navigated with the mouse, but everything else is spot on perfect. Personally I didn't mind hitting up / down then enter to select options in the menus. Having only played the original NES game and sequel, this reminds me of Deus Ex. The XBOX controller is also supported, but I don't understand those things. I have it laying on my chair so that it will shake it and give me some immersion. Oh and the XBOX 360 controller to Keyboard switch is so seamless that you can swap in real time without a menu. Damn slick! Makes all other ports seem like shit.

so how does the game look graphics wise?

Like this (4K/max settings shot incoming):

metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-pc-screenshot-041.png

For reference the PS4 version stops drawing foliage and small objects a little bit in front of the fence, so like right at the middle of the screenshot. Distant lights shown here are also not drawn. Draw distance here is insane, comparatively.

Looks pretty good, though I have always noticed that MGS games tend to be fairly low poly and it shows.

Anybody know how to invert the mouse control? Setting the y-axis to reverse only inverts the the view with a controller.

Anybody know how to invert the mouse control? Setting the y-axis to reverse only inverts the the view with a controller.
Seconded. This would be a deal-breaker for me if mouse aim couldn't be inverted.

So is this at least a 4-5hour demo? Can't see paying 15bucks for an hour long game on principle alone.

Thread is starting to smell like non-sensical, hypocritical bullshit.

"WON'T PAY 13 DOLLA FOR A GAME ONLY COUPLE OF HOURS GAMEPLAY."

::Steam library includes large percentage of hardly played games totaling hundreds of dollars::

Thread is starting to smell like non-sensical, hypocritical bullshit.

"WON'T PAY 13 DOLLA FOR A GAME ONLY COUPLE OF HOURS GAMEPLAY."

::Steam library includes large percentage of hardly played games totaling hundreds of dollars::

Speak for yourself. I don't buy games I don't play, period. I don't have a backlog. If this game is a legit 1 hour demo for 15 bucks then nope.

Someone was saying GMG has it for $11 with coupons...for that price I might give it a try.

It's $10.72.

Wow, this is only 2.9 gigs and already finished downloading.

So is this at least a 4-5hour demo? Can't see paying 15bucks for an hour long game on principle alone.

If you have no idea what the fuck you're doing or where you're going (aka the first run) then it will probably take around a couple hours for the main story mission. Then there's multiple other scenarios.

You will not 100% the game or even come remotely close in that time frame. It's pretty sandboxy, so if you have any intention whatsoever of playing around in it, then you can clock that time easily. If you want to play through it in the most vanilla and straight foward way possible and do nothing else, then yes you can "finish" it within a few hours.

So this game is smooth running enough that one wouldn't call its technical aspect a deal breaker?

Fired it up, maxed all the settings and it runs/looks great. Another well put together PC version similar to Alien earlier this year (slightly more demanding). I played through this on PS4 as well but I'm a bit of an MGS fan so it will be fun to mess with a prettier version.

There is a deceptive amount of content in this.

Maxed out at 1920X1200 it runs fine for me. No problems.

If you have no idea what the fuck you're doing or where you're going (aka the first run) then it will probably take around a couple hours for the main story mission. Then there's multiple other scenarios.

You will not 100% the game or even come remotely close in that time frame. It's pretty sandboxy, so if you have any intention whatsoever of playing around in it, then you can clock that time easily. If you want to play through it in the most vanilla and straight foward way possible and do nothing else, then yes you can "finish" it within a few hours.

I've already seen this.

Each time I fire it up something different happens and I end up in different areas doing different things.

Last edited:
im having some slight performance issues with this. at 1920x1200 all max, im dropping down into the mid-low 30s at the lowest. advanced lightning set to high keeps min in the upper 30s at the lowest, and averaging 45-50fps.

im hoping a driver update will improve performance/crossfire scaling.

Must be just a crossfire scaling thing, I get a constant 60fps on sli with my setup, using the current sli drivers for this game, I get about 70% gpu usage on each card. My setting are all maxed and 1440p, extremely smooth running game for such nice graphics!

This is one of the worst games I have played in a while. I am not sure why people like it as it is absolutely terrible. Garbage controls, garbage menu design, lots of the controls are not listed under options, skimpy on content, low end graphics, garbage camera view, worst cover system ever, dull shooting mechanics, ect. Hell, some missions are impossible to complete. Aside from the game itself being poorly designed in every way imaginable, it is a terrible PC port.

I'd give it a 5/10 at best. First, and probably last MGS game I will ever play. Awful game. Not sure where all the hype comes from.

This is one of the worst games I have played in a while. I am not sure why people like it as it is absolutely terrible. Garbage controls, garbage menu design, lots of the controls are not listed under options, skimpy on content, low end graphics, garbage camera view, worst cover system ever, dull shooting mechanics, ect. Hell, some missions are impossible to complete. Aside from the game itself being poorly designed in every way imaginable, it is a terrible PC port.

I'd give it a 5/10 at best. First, and probably last MGS game I will ever play. Awful game. Not sure where all the hype comes from.

I feel like this game doesn't do the franchise justice. The game is too forgiving when the player forgoes stealth. Reaction mode is on by default, I mean really? This shouldn't even be in this type of game. Regenerative health? WTF. Unlimited uses of the spray when you're severely damaged? DOUBLE WTF. You can easily play cat and mouse and get into some long drawn firefights if you want. The previous games, makes you really really have 2nd thoughts if you wanted to go guns ablaze, in this one it's so brainless and easy to cause a ruckus and then vanish into the shadows.

Picked this up for just over $10 on GMG. Seems pretty decent, though I do get some mild slowdown in areas with everything maxed out at 1080, and it seems like every other time I try to launch the game it simply won't load and will run in the background. After I force-close the process and re-run, though, it seems to work.

Mouse controls are good for a port. Overall the graphics are pretty good, though not amazing.

I agree that the game feels too easy. There doesn't seem to be a huge reason to use stealth when you can just easily kill a dozen guys with very little chance of being killed yourself.

I've only played MGS1, 2 and 3.

The last one I finished was 3, on the PS2. And I liked it very much so. Perhaps not enough to rank it higher than MGS1, but it's close. 2 I did not enjoy so much.

The new ones seem to have deviated quite a bit from the classic gameplay. Everything after 4 seems to have gone in a very different direction. I looked at some of the gameplay and it definitely doesn't have that classic MGS feel.

I guess this is for the new kids. Hell, I shouldn't have to be saying this, I'm only 22.

Graphics are low end? That's not what I see

The 3D models, textures and animations range from average to low end. Other effects look average, but the low end last gen console like assets standout. The guns look like blurry smudges, the ironsights are horrible 2D blurs much like Battlefield 2, helemts are jaggy 3D models, low end textures throughout the game and poor and buggy animations just standout. I had my slung over rifle bobbing up and down, slicing through Snake's shoulder and chin. It is so noticeable, especially since the peak around the corner function doesn't work and zooms into your character which covers up your whole screen. You can throw all the good lighting and depth of field (hardly functional in this games case) to mask it, but crappy graphics is noticeable in the end.

I agree that the game feels too easy. There doesn't seem to be a huge reason to use stealth when you can just easily kill a dozen guys with very little chance of being killed yourself.

I tend to die due to one of the following issues:

1) Game binds everything to the action button. Sometimes climbing down a ladder or trying to get into cover results in Snake jumping off a watch tower or up on top of something, resulting in me getting spotted.
2) I either die from that, or just let them kill me so I can respawn. The game will reset the guards, often times placing the player in their line of sight. This results in you getting spotted as you spawn. I then kill myself and hope the next respawn works better...

I was going to get this but decided to hold off until the full game (Phantom Pain) is released...releasing this 1 level as a paid demo is kinda corny (even if it is only $13)...why couldn't they have released it for free?...that way more people could have tried it out and possibly bought the final version...hopefully Phantom Pain will come out during he first half of 2015 and not Holidays 2015

Played a little bit and I think the M/KB controls are great. The last one I played was MGS4 on PS3 couple years ago and my god it is nice to get off the controller and use the M/KB. The stealth feels really good and the gunplay is really good as well ( you press 'f' while aimint to ADS). Graphics are OK, nothing to write home about. But really what makes this great is the controls on PC. So much better than a controller for this game. In a game where you need a bit of reaction time and be precise it only makes since to use the M/KB.

Game runs flawless maxed @ 2880x1620. Will def get this on release day. Great port!

I was going to get this but decided to hold off until the full game (Phantom Pain) is released...releasing this 1 level as a paid demo is kinda corny (even if it is only $13)...why couldn't they have released it for free?...that way more people could have tried it out and possibly bought the final version...hopefully Phantom Pain will come out during he first half of 2015 and not Holidays 2015

It's a separate game.... I have no idea where this misinformation keeps coming from. Ground Zeros is a prolog to Phantom Pain. There will be zero overlap in terms of gameplay.
If you only buy Ground Zeros you will not have the content of Phantom Pain and vice versa. Ground Zeros takes place in 1975. The Phantom Pain picks up the story 9 years later in 1984.

THIS IS NOT A DEMO. THIS IS NOT A DEMO. THIS IS NOT A DEMO.

Yes, some will be annoyed at Kojima's decision to split the titles (originally it was all going to be all included in one game), but he decided to split it. However, I would say it's a safe bet that there will be a bundle at some point in the future.

this is just like MGS2's tanker level and plant level
tanker level = Ground zero
Plant = Phantom pain

and they will probably include ground zero to phantom pain

Back