borderlands

I can say the PC version is NOT a mess. It is actually quite well done. Why would it need DX10 support? It is the Unreal Engine, which is DX9c based and does not natively support anti aliasing (AA can be forced).

Because me and my 4870 would like some AntiAliasing.

There is no potential with the loot. I'm level 32 and my bags are full with useless weapons after 20 minutes of questing and I have to find a vendor to sell them off.. every 20 minutes.

It's a fun game to play but seriously, the weapon system is silly. You'll find the same types of guns with just really minor varations like one would do 10 less damage than the last, or it would have 2 extra bullets in it. Big deal, it doesn't make a gun "unique".

Don't get me wrong, it's a very addicting game and I can't stop playing it. But really, the weapon system is nothing interesting

Is this your very first ARPG ?

My understanding is that AA can be forced in DX9 UE3 engine games only with nVidia cards. You can try with an ATi card, but it doesn't do anything.

If anyone is reading this and can confirm, that would be great, well, not great, but anyway. And I had read that it also needs to 'phone home' as part of the installation, is that also true?

I refuse to buy a game that I can't pull out of a drawer and re-install when I reinstall windows for the umpteenth time, just because the company went out of business, or decides I don't need to install it anymore.

Unfortunately I do have a couple games that use Securom (didn't know it when I bought them) when I install one, it breaks the other, so, yeah, not going thru that again.

Sorry if I sound bitter but I was looking forward to Borderlands, and now :(

If anyone is reading this and can confirm, that would be great, well, not great, but anyway. And I had read that it also needs to 'phone home' as part of the installation, is that also true?

I refuse to buy a game that I can't pull out of a drawer and re-install when I reinstall windows for the umpteenth time, just because the company went out of business, or decides I don't need to install it anymore.

Unfortunately I do have a couple games that use Securom (didn't know it when I bought them) when I install one, it breaks the other, so, yeah, not going thru that again.

The retail game does have Securom, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a limited activation count. Also, if you buy the Steam version, there's no DRM (aside from Steam itself).

Why would it need DX10 for AA? Force it in the control panel.

As Promii pointed out, that may(but apparently doesn't always?) work with an nVidia card, but ATI cards require DX10 for that in UE3.

As well, I seem to recall always needing to rename exe's to "ut3.exe" to make AA work on an ATI card. Does that work on steam?

Game sounds kinda interesting...Its gotten quite the hype. I can't say I agree with items being stored on my computer. Would I not be able to get 100 of the same item by copying and pasting, or losing it all if my hdd fails?

The mechanics, loot, etc. sounds exactly like Hell Gate.

Gives me massive motion sickness worse than some of the dreamcast games did. Played for about an hour.

I'll try the setting above but if they don't work I'll be passing on this game. They should have stuck with normal graphics.

Gives me massive motion sickness worse than some of the dreamcast games did. Played for about an hour.

I'll try the setting above but if they don't work I'll be passing on this game. They should have stuck with normal graphics.

it should help. I had the same issue and the FOV fix did the trick :)

yes it does this but only to make sure the game is acctually released, theres no install limit. i was told that after the first batch wwas sold newer copies of borderlands will not come with any online check at all.

or buy it off steama nd no securom at all.

It's the FoV man, this is the first game to actually give me a headache from that crap. Worst of all there is no way to set the FoV and have it stick.

My understanding is that AA can be forced in DX9 UE3 engine games only with nVidia cards. You can try with an ATi card, but it doesn't do anything.

All you need to do is rename the exe to UT3.exe .

CD check only.

Does that work with Steam, though?
It might not work if you launch directly from Steam however go to steamapps or w/e and try to rename the borderlands.exe there and launch it from there and see if it will work. I don't know if it will. I do not have the Steam version though.

It might not work if you launch directly from Steam however go to steamapps or w/e and try to rename the borderlands.exe there and launch it from there and see if it will work. I don't know if it will. I do not have the Steam version though.

nope, doesnt work, tried renaming the exe and running it fromt hat instead of from steam and it just tells me the game is unavalable

It's the FoV man, this is the first game to actually give me a headache from that crap. Worst of all there is no way to set the FoV and have it stick.

To adjust FOV (Field of View):
-----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:

Search for [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]. Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:
Quote:
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

TIP: It's being reported that the FOV gets reset whenever you sprint in an online game. As a workaround, you can add the FOV command to one of your movement keys, like I have. Example - my MoveForward binding looks like this (my forward key is W):
Quote:
Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward | Axis aGas Speed=+1.0 | FOV 96",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigge r=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgno reShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Change the FOV number to whatever you see fit for your system

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79043

I dont THINK this is considered "talk of piracy", if it is, please delete.

If you're having problems with renaming the executable from steam, you can just replace the exe with the nocd fixed exe from GCW. The game is essentially the same as the retail version, with a modified exe.

I did this on my laptop so that I dont have to launch steam and hope offline mode works everytime I want to play without internet.

If you're having problems with renaming the executable from steam, you can just replace the exe with the nocd fixed exe from GCW. The game is essentially the same as the retail version, with a modified exe.

I did this on my laptop so that I dont have to launch steam and hope offline mode works everytime I want to play without internet.

I think it's a grey area; I'm not circumventing any copy protection since I own the game and am still using the original install, right? I don't know what the politics are, but your idea WORKS, and I now have AA in Borderlands. Thank you, sir.

That said, it seems the black borders are jagged by design? Even with 12xEdge Detect and AAA active, there were still really bad jaggies on certain edges.

The nocd fixed exe from GCW worked for my steam version as well after renaming the exe to UT3 or Bioshock however I had to make sure that Catalyst A.I. was enabled in CCC and even then the difference was subtle with 24x Edge detect MSAA. Ironically I had to make sure Catalyst A.I. was disabled for any kind of AA to work in Resident Evil 5 :confused: Oh well at least I finally got it working thanks guys.

Last edited:
Is there a place to safely store gear that you are not high enough level to use? I hate carrying around this stuff.

As you progress through the game you gain more inventory space through missions (that's why it's important to take most of them).
I think you only get extra inventory space from repairing Claptraps, in which case you don't have to take all the side missions, you just have to find all the damaged Claptraps and repair them.

That would have been awesome to know several days ago.

I heard there is Physx in this game, if so is it worth it and would a 8600 gt be passable alongside a 4870 for physx.

Next the weapons stored on the client side are for those who dont always have a net conn to play (like me) otherwise youd have to have an offline and an online char which they didnt want.

Ahhh cheers Ghetto. Wasnt sure on the 8600gt just got that and 2 copies of DOW2 and Resi 4 for $60 (NZD) from the bay was hoping the card would have a use.

Can someone help me?

I just paid 20k for some addon that's suppose to give me +80% Bloodwing dmg, +2 swift strike, +1 remedy or something like that.....

I then go into my skill tree expecting swift strike to be at 2/5 but it's still at 0/5.

My question is...is my add on working in the BACKGROUND or is it not workign at all?

It's way too hard to tell...or maybe I'm just stupid?

Can someone help me?

I just paid 20k for some addon that's suppose to give me +80% Bloodwing dmg, +2 swift strike, +1 remedy or something like that.....

I then go into my skill tree expecting swift strike to be at 2/5 but it's still at 0/5.

My question is...is my add on working in the BACKGROUND or is it not workign at all?

It's way too hard to tell...or maybe I'm just stupid?

IIRC you have to have atleast one in the skill in question for the mod to work. That being said you will not SEE them in the skill tree

IIRC you have to have atleast one in the skill in question for the mod to work. That being said you will not SEE them in the skill tree

Well gee...I wish I found out before dropping 20k and selling the other mod which was working fine...fack!

Back