BOINC

I am going to be switching the 4P's over to F@H for the next week folding for Adak. So what is the next push when I get back.

I am going to be switching the 4P's over to F@H for the next week folding for Adak. So what is the next push when I get back.

Seven days to decide guys. What projects would you like the team to focus on?

I am planning on working on projects that tend to run out of work often and then one project as a backup that has regular work as a way to keep busy. So, I will let you guys decide on the team's focus for March.

Projects I plan on attaching to (I already hit my ABC goal):
Leiden Classical
RNA (this has very tough requirements for RAM and also needs virtualbox)
LHC

As for the backup project, that has yet to be decided. It will always be shared with WCG since I never detach or pause that project.

I will also note that I'm testing the Prime95 client right now for both GIMPS and SOB. So, I will be using March mostly for a test bed and focusing on the projects with supply issues.

However, the team hasn't really expressed any specific intent yet on whether to push points or to push defense. I would say right now, it is up in the air and a great opportunity to stake your opinion on a good suggestion over in the Vault thread. :D

Well, I've been running BOINC for a few days now, and I'm really not too happy.

I'm only contributing to WCG, QMC and Einstein but I don't feel I'm getting maximum contributions I could from my system for Einstein like I did when Folding.

I'm only getting about 1 WU a day from Einstein that uses my Radeon 7850. The ration is about 1-7, GPU vs non-GPU from Einstein. I have my preferences set to 8 cores since my Core i7 920 has 8.

And when the GPU WU does run, it wants to use only 0.5 CPU when I have 7 other WUs running. This really slows down the processing of the GPU based WU, to the point where the GPU will be spiking from 0% to 70% to 0% to 70%.

I have to manually go in and suspend other WUs from running so I only have 6 regular WU running, and then the 1 WU that is GPU attached. Then the GPU usage climbs to 80% and stays there until the WU is finished.

What, if any changes can I make so I can get more GPU based WUs from Einstein, and don't have to keep manually adjusting things?

If there aren't any changes, then I'll ditch BIONC and go back to Folding. I want to keep my Radeon running at max.

To utilize your card more efficiently, you can try running more than one work unit at a time. Though it may take longer to complete a single work unit, it should produce more finished results over a given amount of time and raise your GPU utilization to a much higher amount as well. You do have a few options.
1. You could log into your account at Einstein and make a change to your preferences. Go back to post 478 where Chelsea brings up utilisation and read forward from there.
2. You could use an app_config.xml which we could also help you set up.
3. You could take many peoples advice to leave a cpu core/thread available for each GPU you have. Though this may seem like a waste of resources, the speed gain with some cards is enough to actually produce more work than bogging it down with the CPU work.

You should also mention what card you are seeing this with. Keep in mind an i7 920 does not have 8 cores. It has 4 cores but has 8 threads. There is definitely a production difference.

Thanks Gilthanis, I went into Einstein, and selected on WU that run using my Radeaon 7850 card. the good news is they process extremely fast, only 50 minutes per WU. So that leave plenty of room for WCG WU.

Thanks Gilthanis, I went into Einstein, and selected on WU that run using my Radeaon 7850 card. the good news is they process extremely fast, only 50 minutes per WU. So that leave plenty of room for WCG WU.

I don't know the settings you are going with and I don't know your goals/plans, but by utilizing the full CPU core, you could basically run more work units at Einstein with the GPU. For example, by dedicating .5 CPU to the GPU work unit, you could thus run two Einstein work units at a time and use the full CPU core/thread. This would make one less core/thread available to WCG, but would increase production at Einstein.

Now some people just run the other projects until WCG supports GPU's and therefore are a side benefit. These people usually want to maximize WCG first and everyone else second. However, some of us maximize across projects, and that would mean sacrificing the one WCG cpu core/thread to push Einstein more efficiently. It really does just come down to preference.

Well this is only my 3rd day of running BIONC after 7 years away, so it'll take some time to settle things down.

I say that as soon as the new GPU application over at POEM is done we hit that hard. I think that GPUGrid and Docking are other good contenders. Despite being #1 in FAH the medical section is our weakest in the Vault.

Biggest bang for the buck options will likely include Muon1 (DPAD). OCAU has passed us there and its our only project below 9K Vault points. The client is somewhat inefficient with >4 threads but our overall score could be boosted here quickly with some large CPU contributions.

ChelseaOilman, nobody will know for sure on that until 1. someone tests it on their BETA site (which you could do) or 2. the final version of the apps are released.

metallicafan, keep in mind GPUGrid is also working on a CPU and ARM apps. So, soon we could hit that project pretty hard as well. The only downside to GPUGrid is that they still have no AMD or Intel GPU support unless that is also planned with the new work units.

I just added 2 very part time borg dual core laptops this weekend.

I'm trying to score a free sensor from QCN. Stay tuned.

Good luck. Carl didn't have very good news the last PM he sent me

hi, well the "http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/" is probably the only worthwhile site as far as boincstats & credits etc, the other sites are for very specialized, local projects. also QCN will probably be winding down this year due to lack of funding so it probably wouldn't make sense to run stats for every sub-site just for a few months.....

If you are running BOINC v. 7.2.39 like I was and have trouble uploading to YoYo, update your client to the latest (today it's 7.2.42). My work units were hanging, but the update fixed it.

Renderfarm.fi seems to have some work going out. However, their website is still glitchy and the user profile isn't loading like it should. So, if you already have an account with systems attached, you should be able to pull the work. I am noticing that the work units are identifying themselves at (mt) typically meaning multi threaded.

Still number 5 with the Prime Grid Double Top Secret Mystery Challenge, and Grandpa is number 1!!! In fact, he's number 1 by a large margin!!!

I am now number 99 for RAC on Einstein.

Congrats guys..those are some pretty impressive accomplishments.

Anyone else get flooded with emails from WCG today?
I haven't contributed in over 30 days so I got their "we miss you" email, which is a nice little touch, giving me links for troubleshooting if something went wrong, and so forth. However, from 04:53 to 15:02 I received 86 of these emails, all identical.
Clearly something got screwed up somewhere!

It is based on run time. It takes 20 different apps (not projects) to run 100 hours each to get the first star to bronze. 40 different apps to 100 hours gets the second star to bronze. Each color of star is a higher amount of run time hours. So, to get all 5 stars requires 100 different apps with 100 hours each.

Ahhh I see thanks for explaining :)

Here is a list of the different combos...
http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/badges.php

And if you log into your account there, you should be able to see a full list of the apps, their finished run times, and a listing of estimated pending time. You can also choose to make that info public like I have so that others can see what you are contributing to.

So, you will want the app to run on all machines so that your run time gets tallied.

Last edited:
I set up my free QCN sensor today. All I need now is an earthquake. :rolleyes:

You should get points regardless. Also, keep in mind that your tasks may list as errors and not have points for a while. They go back through and run a script every so often to award points. Also, keep in mind that many Android devices work at that project now too.

Last, take a look at this list http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1801908 and attach to the sister sites as well. You can generate points on the same sensor on each of them. The continual sites are the same as the main site only instead of sending info every so many seconds/minutes (whatever they do), it keeps a continuous record of data.

Is there an actual page for WCG [H] team with individual members stats? The link on the WCG "Click Here To Visit Team Home Page" leads straight back to the regular [H] main page.

I am coming back to this after a few years absence and was wondering what should I be using my GPU, radeon 7950, on? Currently doing world community grid, but that's only CPU right?

Yes. For now no gpu's at WCG. Until POEM gets up and running their work (which should be end of this month by their estimates) do you have a preference on?:
a) astronomy/astrophysics
b) mathematics
c) creating rainbow tables
d) finding aliens
Or are you just looking to what would push our position in the DC-Vault the most. We have a thread discussing the Vault as well. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1620596

Whats more useful in real life? I was hoping something medical/science related, but it seems a shame to let my GPU's go cold. I have 2 setups of my sig running.

Whats more useful in real life? I was hoping something medical/science related, but it seems a shame to let my GPU's go cold. I have 2 setups of my sig running.

Well that is a trick question. Mathematics are mostly prime numbers. Prime Numbers don't seem like they would be very practical when in actuality they are used a lot. The higher the prime number found, the better we can encrypt things. So, we use encryption in so much it is hard to not see its value. However, a lot of people don't look at it that way. Searching for aliens is a nice idea, but their tactics for looking for them is worse than looking for a specific grain of sand located somewhere in our ocean. Rainbow tables are used by anyone testing (or illegally surpassing) security. My boss has used them in the past. Then you have astronomy/astrophysics which might some day be of use. I couldn't tell you if any of them have actually done anything that has truly helped mankind yet. So, if you are looking at what has real results now, Prime numbers or Rainbow tables. The rest is just theory and waiting.

Now I agree that I would prefer BIO/Medical. However, the only projects that fit that description were WCG which finished that sub project and POEM which recently finished theirs. POEM is beta testing their app now but only want people to run a few, report their results, and then detach because they don't need tons of results from the same setup. They said on their page that they estimate later this month for production work.

GPUGrid is working on CPU work for Intel/AMD and ARM processors. I was hoping they would finally get an AMD app. Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath.

I guess primegrid it is. I set that up but my GPU isn't doing anything. I have it set to Run always and GPU run always. Is there something more I do? Or do I need to wait for the CPU to finish first?

edit: I see it eventually started working after a while.

Last edited:
Back