BOINC

Yeah...sometimes BOINC will do that on the first connect. Glad it is up and running.

BitcoinUtopia allegedly was crediting work at 50/hour. However, from what I'm seeing it is much much higher. I have only done a little over 60 hours of run time and have already obtained over 800k points there. So, watch the credit whores flock over there when they get wind. I have mentioned this in their forums since they are clearly wrong on what is going on.

Well...I got two more very part time dual core laptops borged this past weekend. I know it isn't much, but it does give a little. :)

This seems to be a wide open thread for quite a number of projects. Are there any DC projects, other than Folding@Home, that can optimally engage multi-core, multi-thread capable machines like the 4P AMD and 2P Intel workstations? If that's already discussed in this thread, I'd appreciate a page(s) link.

MilkyWay will occassionally grab and use more than one core, up to 9 that I've seen. But aside from that, I would say that most apps are run on a single thread only. Though BOINC will use as many threads as you can give it.

I have a list of MT projects in the All inclusive DC list under Guides.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1801908

Specifically this post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040549877&postcount=6

Also keep in mind that some of the projects (I'm not sure if it is built into BOINC this way now or not by default) it will determine the number of cores/threads to use based on how many were free at the time of downloading (or maybe when the work unit first started). It will remember that number supposedly until the work unit is complete. So, don't be surprised if you still see multiple work units.

And some projects have multiple types of work units, so if you are only wanting one type, you may need to use an app_config.xml or an app_info.xml file. However, most of the time you can just select which apps under your projects settings at their website.

Last edited:
I've been running a few work units at Moo! on my new 750Ti. I only ran 1 work unit at a time for testing basic setup. It seems to average 1556.8 seconds per work unit. They have fixed credits at 1536/wu, so you can do the math. This is at stock speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

I didn't see anyone posting in regards to this project so felt I should share. I will also note that previously I had a AMD 6750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150684 running in the same machine. Completion times were ~1574.5 seconds per wu. However the CPU time was considerably less. Like 1/50th of the amount the nVidia card reported.

Final note is that they are still using CUDA 3.1 and the 750Ti really needs CUDA 6 to fully take advantage.

I have also been running some Asteroids work on this card. I am averaging over all about 3764.848 seconds with it. They also have fixed credits of 480/wu, so the math can be easily done as well. Again, I am only running one work unit per card for basic testing right now. I will also say that GPU-z is showing the GPU Load to fluctuate quite a bit and it doesn't seem to strain the card much. However, I can't tell you the average because of how much it jumps. Temps seem to stay at 36C and Fan Speed is sitting at 40%. They are using CUDA 5.5 and the CPU run times are ~ 46.8 seconds/wu on the GPU work units.

Last edited:
Those are still excellent early numbers considering no real optimizations yet. Exciting! Just installed another 750Ti, and the others I bought from Emmanon should be arriving today. He's great to work with by the way, have to plug that in here just cause he has good prices...

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,36495

Kevin is asking people to test the latest v7 WCG branded version of BOINC

We are in the final testing stages testing the latest BOINC client in preperations for the use of the 7.2 BOINC client here at World Community Grid.

Although many of our volunteers are already doing it, we are interested in getting further testing and feedback.

For those of you who are interested in a preview, we ask that you download and install the current version offered from the BOINC website and proving feedback on your experience.

You can download the current version from here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.2.42_windows_intelx86.exe

Thanks for your help and assistance!

I just remembered why I quit BIONC a few years ago. Despite the fact I was # 8,973 out of the entire world running only 3 computers and climbing.

Having results Pending or 2-3 weeks is a load of crap. By god, at least with Folding you don't have that crap.

That all depends on which project you choose. Some are better than others. NFS for example (math project) doesn't use replication, so if you return a valid work unit, it is validated rather quickly. Little to zero redundancy.

That all depends on which project you choose. Some are better than others. NFS for example (math project) doesn't use replication, so if you return a valid work unit, it is validated rather quickly. Little to zero redundancy.

Good to know, thanks. Einstein is one of the worse. They are why I quit last time. The problem is, not enough projects provide GPU WU. I think as soon as POEM goes fully GPU, I'll transfer over to them.

Good idea. I think probably the worst project at it is SETI. Those can sit waiting for validation for a very long time.

Last I read they were shooting for end of this month. Not much has been posted since then... They do have BETA testing going on a different server, but don't want people running more than a few because all they are testing if it works on your cards.

Dear philippe,

this project is not a single research project with one goal; in this project we can have several smaller (student) projects throughout the year. As it happens this week we will have some students running argon simulations on BOINC.

When a bigger research project is started and BOINC is used, it will be mentioned here. As it happens, it is not that easy to simply use BOINC for all our research, BOINC is just one of the many computational resources we have available. Also because BOINC (application) development is not for the faint harted, we tend to use the BOINC applications we already have running.

Currently we use BOINC for two things; one in teaching students; they run any type of classical trajectory they want whenever they want. As it happens this feature is open to the public too. Just look in your account on this project and see that you have a private 'queue' to submit Classical calculations into.

The other long term on going (pet) project of mine is investigating (rare) events in a specific water model. This project is a 'gather statistics and wait and see if the even happens' type of project; many many many runs are needed and the chances of any event happening are slim. To this end we continuously feed tasks into BOINC using the same input file over and over. Now due to a special trick we implemented in our application code, a random number generator seed is set and based on the work unit name. This will make sure that each individual run (although the input seems exactly the same) is an individual run. Once enough statistics are obtained we can conclude if this specific water model does feature rare events. If it doesn't, or it does wrongly so, we need to change the water model again and obviously start all over again. Now because this is a pet project me and the chances are slim to get any scientific publication in the sort-run about this, the work for this project is used as a feed when other sub project of Leiden Classical are not using BOINC.

Apart from all that, you do also need to know that this Leiden Classical thing is a sort of one man show; in our group I need to maintain and run this project on my own and I do have other stuff to do as well :).

Hope to have informed you a bit.

If you want some more info you can have a look at http://theorchem.leidenuniv.nl

m.
_____

http://boinc.gorlaeus.net/forum_thread.php?id=498#2920

A little more info that another poster got than what I did when I PM'd the admin. Seems like very little comes from this project. I for one wish this project was not in the DC-Vault. However, it isn't breaking any rules. So, I just complain. It certainly wont be getting more of my resources once I hit my point goal there.

The admin confirmed that the new app will be OpenCL only. So, AMD cards will probably out perform nVidia again.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/forum_thread.php?id=1028&postid=9434

Also:

I've just updated the POEM@HOME Binaries to Version 2.00. This is the first big step for our new GPU project. I'll have to adjust some parameters of the new work units, and will send them out at the end of this week.
I'm confident the errors which occurred during the test phase have been resolved. If you encounter any problems nevertheless, please report it in our message boards.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/forum_thread.php?id=1034#9433

Finally got my L5640 running to replace my Phenom 850 system. Had a little fun with the old "missing memory" bug on the X58 platform, brought back some memories heh. Considering it's running an extra spicy chip, where the retail chip wasn't even meant to run in that board, I'm letting that slight problem slide, system seems perfectly stable and I don't need the extra 4GB anyway. Overclocking will begin as soon as I have some time. Tossed in a 6970 to replace the 5850 & 5770 in that system too, will be playing with that at some point to find a balance between temps and noise before committing it to something. I also managed to lose a 6950 and GTX 295, spent about an hour looking for them. Turns out the 6950 is busted, shame but it was dirt cheap and untested. Just need to decide where to put all these other video cards now...
Also ended up with a few spare C2D board/CPU/RAM combos, not really sure what to do with them. I won't have space to run them, they're not worth enough to sell, and I threw out my old cases when I decided to consolidate my systems into a "rack" so I can't build a complete system from them. Suggestions on a postcard?

I have found that people are still buying socket 775 boards on eBay. However, they don't sell for much. I have donated quite a few dual cores. So, if you can find a case in another junker, you may be able to get a donation or two out of them.

I'm running all POEM++ v2.0 right now, and it is not looking good for POEM++ OpenCL version v2.00. I had 4 out of 5 WU fail past the 90% mark with "Error while computing". The first one I did was OK, the rest have each failed. I'm continuing to run them to see what happens.

The normal WU are all doing fine.

I'm seeing the same thing. However, I kind of expected a bumpy take off.

I have found that people are still buying socket 775 boards on eBay. However, they don't sell for much. I have donated quite a few dual cores. So, if you can find a case in another junker, you may be able to get a donation or two out of them.

Yeah, they're not worth selling, although they would sell it wouldn't be for much so the hassle of shipping makes it unattractive.
I picked up an AM2 system for free today so depending what's in it, that might form a donation system. Just wish I had some more space as I did have 4 cases that would've been fine, but I had to throw them.

Anyone else having issues with GPUGRID? My pair of 560Ti cards just stopped getting work 2 days ago. I attached Einstein last night so my cards wouldn't just be sitting idle. That works fine. I didn't make any changes so I don't know why I suddenly stopped getting GPUGRID work. I'm at a loss.

I guess I didn't search hard enough over there yesterday. I missed that thread. Looks like Einstein is the winner. Einstein already had my 750Ti cards since GPUGRID won't run on them, now they have my 560Ti cards as well. Really want to get all these cards running GPUGRID at some point.

I feel your pain. My borged 660Ti had to be pulled from the project since I can't mess with its stock clock rates. Then my 650Ti stopped working until I clocked it down (which later got put in another PC and ran fine at stock). Now I too have a 750Ti with another one in the works. Seems like the only ones I can get work for is my GT430's or my GTX 650 which are still chugging away at other projects. (and they are hardly worth running at GPUGrid these days) My cell phones on the other hand have had some test work.....

A new math project called Beal@Home
http://bealathome.com/index.php

I believe it is currently Linux only. I have not ran any work yet but do have our team setup. I will also point out that the admin is the same from OProject it seems.

Last edited:
What are the combo specs?

I might be interested in the CPUs and RAM to upgrade my Intel E5200 box.

He is in the UK AgrFan, probably not worth the shipping unless you are in the neighborhood... ;)

I will keep my eyes open when I start scrapping again. All I got on the shelf right now are:

E3110
E4500
E7300 (2)
E7500

SL7PR
SL7PU
SL87L
SL88T
SL96P
SLA4T

Last edited:
I'm to the point where I am removing all dual cores from the home and possibly removing the q8200. Home upgrades are going good (yet slow). Kids suck the time right out of you...

My job is still donating the Optiplex 360's and possibly start donating 380's in a month or so. Too bad I have outgrown them. But, they make great borgs....

What are the combo specs?

I might be interested in the CPUs and RAM to upgrade my Intel E5200 box.

Heh, sorry, as Gilthanis says I'm over the pond :) they're mostly low end C2Ds anyhow, have a few spare quad Xeons though - using this guide I have 2 running and 2 to bring online at some point, and probably 3 or 4 spare as the boards I have don't support the CPUs. Tons of spare DDR2, though, but again shipping probably kills any kind of deal.

I picked up some kind of AMD system for free the other day, 4GB RAM and a 7600GT which will become my next test card - not sure what CPU is in it yet but I suspect an old dual core, in which case I'll swap a decent PSU and combo into the case and see if I can find someone to donate it to.

I have some kind of issue going on with my WCG points. I have no clue what's going on.

My stats from the WCG site: ChelseaOilman 01/08/2014 1:288:00:31:01 2,896,522 3,090

BOINC Stats page: 421,626.72
Comprising 421,205.49 from the daily update
+ 421.24 since then

And by the way, on the member movements page at BOINC Stats it shows AgrFan is crunching for Ripple Labs.

Not sure if this link works: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/detail/1411/memberMovement

Back