blue screen after installing4080

jobert

[H]ard|Gawd
I was running this new 13700k system just fine with my 3080 ti. Today I installed the 4080 and installed the drivers and then a couple minutes later it blue screens. I had the rtx 4080 in my older 9900k for a few days and had no issues there. I am running the latest BIOS for my mobo and I have the firmware update on the 4080.

Does it crash while on your desktop or is it crashing during gameplay?

Does it crash while on your desktop or is it crashing during gameplay?
Crashed just sitting on the desktop. For more detail I installed the new card and then when into safe mode and used DDU and then I rebooted and installed the latest drivers. After that it stayed on desktop for around 30 seconds then blue screen and rebooted.

did it happen only once? if so, move on. if not, look at the psu maybe. nm, missed a post. idk, maybe double check cables are seated.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
did it happen only once? if so, move on. if not, look at the psu maybe. nm, missed a post. idk, maybe double check cables are seated.
That's what I am thinking also. Beyond that, my gut is telling me that it is probably a driver issue (I assume that if you put the 4090 back in the 9900K machine it works fine). There are other threads on the net with people having very similar issues to this with the 4090. One thing I have seen suggested that might be worth it to try is to use an older set of drivers as opposed to the latest version. Older drivers might be more stable especially given how cutting-edge the 4090 is and how small its install base is right now....

The 4080 was in the 9900k machine for several days on the same driver and no issues. Its probably some minor conflict or compatibly issue on the new machine with the drivers or something else. Even though this stuff has been out for months they still have some compatibly issues. In fact the reason the 4080 was in my old machine is because it required a firmware update to even run on most newer motherboards. And my mobo also had BIOS update for compatibility issues with the new cards. I would have been screwed if I did not have my other pc to use during this build.

This is where I would probably start doing some trial and error. Try using older drivers for the 4080, if that doesn't work, try older drivers for other hardware connected your system (properly uninstalling and cleaning each time) and see if there is some combination that will run stably. Try running with video drivers installed with other drivers uninstalled, try booting with as few un-essential startup processes loaded (especially those that are not also running on your 9900K system) as possible to see if you still have the problem. At least this way you can isolate or narrow down the source of the conflict. Can you boot a Linux thumb-drive and see if the NVidia Linux drivers produce the same failure?

It sounds like you know at least as much as (probably more than) I do about how to troubleshoot this. I think that we can agree that it is probably some kind of driver issue, the key is determine what it is and then see if it can be mitigated.

OK, that definitely changes things. I was assuming (incorrectly) above that the error was recurring. If it's working for you now I would defer to the saying: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It has only done it one time right after installing the 4080. I have been using the pc now for over 4 hours including numerous benchmarks and have had no more issues.

If you shut your computer down, installed the card, and started it up again, then the problem might be related to "Fast Startup". Windows, by default, uses "Fast Startup" when you do a shutdown which has a lot in common with Hibernate. Your computer likely booted back up thinking that the old card was still installed. A simple reboot (or starting again after a BSOD) would fix that issue, and it seems like it did.

If you shut your computer down, installed the card, and started it up again, then the problem might be related to "Fast Startup". Windows, by default, uses "Fast Startup" when you do a shutdown which has a lot in common with Hibernate. Your computer likely booted back up thinking that the old card was still installed. A simple reboot (or starting again after a BSOD) would fix that issue, and it seems like it did.
Yeah I thought about that after this happened and went ahead and disabled that as it's something I normally have disabled anyway. Looking at the event viewer there were two issues the first looks like when I initially booted up the first time with the new card and then after I got back to the desktop after ddu and installed the drivers where it crashed. I let it run all night as I was downloading games and I was a bit scared when I went in there this morning and saw the case lights were off. The damn computer had went to sleep even though it was downloading games which seems a bit odd but at least there were no other issues.

Kernel 41 is normally PSU or memory. Since you are upgrading from the 9900K to a 13700K, PSU and memory could both be the issue. What PSU do you have?

And to be sure, do at least one memtest run to rule out memory issues.

Both could still be the issue after warming up, but memory seems more likely than PSU, though hard to say for sure.

I'll do a memtest later but there have been no more issues and the computer has been running non-stop downloading games this entire time. And I've spent several hours playing games and doing benchmarks. It's a completely new computer with specs in the sig.

New doesn't mean not broken. DOAs can happen.
I'm only saying new as you seemed to have thought I had only upgraded some parts and kept the same power supply and were curious about the power supply specs as if maybe it couldn't handle it. Of course a brand new part can be defective. Again though I have had the computer running for over 30 hours since then under heavy load for hours at times and no more issues. After I get a few more games downloaded and installed I'll run the memtest tonight but I'm thinking it was just a driver install fluke. That happened one time on one video driver on my last PC too.

Last edited:
I'm only saying new as you seemed to have thought I had only upgraded some parts and kept the same power supply and were curious about the power supply specs as if maybe it couldn't handle it. Of course a brand new part can be defective. Again though I have had the computer running for over 30 hours since then under heavy load for hours at times and no more issues. After I get a few more games downloaded and installed I'll run the memtest tonight but I'm thinking it was just a driver install fluke. That happened one time on one video driver on my last PC too.
its fine, it was just a driver glitch, like you already figured out.

Well the blue screen has returned when I went to restart after doing Windows update.

Event 4311 NetBT

Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the string "BO3CDCD2EC37" to identify the interface for which initialization failed.

What is strange is that before I did the Windows update I tried to remove Afterburner since there is new version out now that supports 13th gen cpus. When I tried to remove in add remove programs it said it was not on my pc which is strange because it was and still is.

Last edited:
dammit, i jinxed ya. but it does say device driver so, ddu and try again?!

dammit, i jinxed ya. but it does say device driver so, ddu and try again?!
Another strange thing just happened again after I restarted the pc which was chrome logged me out of every site including all forums and all my emails.

And the blue screens have to be related to this 4080 as there were no issues with this computer when I had the 3080 TI in there.

Another strange thing just happened again after I restarted the pc which was chrome logged me out of every site including all forums and all my emails.
I've had that happen with bsod hits. I wouldn't worry about that part of your issue, at least. Sorry I don't have anything to add as far as the 4080 issue.

The 4080 worked just fine in the other PC before I transferred it to the new pc. In the older PC I was just using the Nvidia adapter but when I installed it in the new pc I used the Corsair cable. Maybe it was just some issue with the cable but either way I'm putting the 3080 TI back in the system for a few days and see how it goes.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/kernel-power-41-error-windows-10/

I would consider doing more than just swap GPUs out. It might be something the 4080 does, or something else. Best way to know if it is defective other hardware, is to rule things out. A memtest doesn't cost you much and will clear things up on that front.

Since the 3090Ti should be more PSU heavy, it doesn't look like the likely culprit, but you never know for sure. Though I would consider swapping that last of course.

The 4080 worked just fine in the other PC before I transferred it to the new pc. In the older PC I was just using the Nvidia adapter but when I installed it in the new pc I used the Corsair cable. Maybe it was just some issue with the cable but either way I'm putting the 3080 TI back in the system for a few days and see how it goes.
I think that is a logical next step. If all goes well try doing that cable swap and see if anything changes. I would do a thorough once around the PC checking every plug and cable physically. Sounds stupid but it never hurts and I have experienced many a wiggle that has fixed things for me.

Ok now even more fun. I noticed after I installed my old video card and started the pc back up it showed no internet connection. I restarted and it came back. I installed the drivers for the video card and restarted and again lost the internet. Restarted and it came back. This now seems like a common problem where about every other time I start the pc there is no internet connection. I can install the driver if it shows no connection and it comes back.

ImpoliteSmartGopher-size_restricted.gif

I just went back to the previous BIOS and now it has Ethernet connection on every start. I have started the pc around 15 times and no issues where as before it got to the point where nearly every restart needed the ethernet driver. The BIOS I was on when having all the issues was a beta BIOS but it was needed for best compatibility on the 40 series cards.

I went ahead and ordered another mobo just in case the previous BIOS does not fix the wonky issues. I have built and upgraded several computers over the years and never had so much stress and BS as this.

EDIT: Well now the onboard audio just started crackling and popping....

Last edited:
I just went back to the previous BIOS and now it has Ethernet connection on every start. I have started the pc around 15 times and no issues where as before it got to the point where nearly every restart needed the ethernet driver. The BIOS I was on when having all the issues was a beta BIOS but it was needed for best compatibility on the 40 series cards.

I went ahead and ordered another mobo just in case the previous BIOS does not fix the wonky issues. I have built and upgraded several computers over the years and never had so much stress and BS as this.

EDIT: Well now the onboard audio just started crackling and popping....
Possible the board got damaged when you swapped GPUs. Not much else would explain why the 3080 ti doesn't work normally like it used to.

Possible the board got damaged when you swapped GPUs. Not much else would explain why the 3080 ti doesn't work normally like it used to.
There hasn't been any issues with the 3080 TI. Anyway after hours and hours of fooling with this thing ethernet seems to work just fine on the previous non-beta bios. I'm absolutely hating computers at this point though.

There hasn't been any issues with the 3080 TI. Anyway after hours and hours of fooling with this thing ethernet seems to work just fine on the previous non-beta bios. I'm absolutely hating computers at this point though.
Right I meant the PC should work normally like it did before with the 3080 ti installed. Hopefully it was just that bios though.

Something else weird I had noticed when I was using the 4080 was that the PCI Express x16 would sometimes alternate between 4.0 and 2.0 under load in gpu-z. My 3080 TI stays at 4.0 under the same exact testing.

OK its back to not recognizing my ethernet again on startup which means installing the driver every time. Should I reinstall Windows or just go ahead and get another motherboard?

EDIT: Reinstalling Windows did not fix the issue and it is still randomly not seeing the ethernet. I went ahead and ordered another mobo last night.

Last edited:
New mobo has Ethernet issues too but I came across threads a few days ago about this being an issue with the i226v itself on any mobo.

And the issue was just brought up on techpowerup yesterday. https://www.techpowerup.com/303854/...-has-a-connection-drop-issue-no-fix-available

What a bunch of shit for all the time I have wasted dealing with this nonsense. I am just going to use wi-fi as my router is only one foot away and I get the same speeds as wired.

My only concern with wi-fi is using VR but I think Airlink with the D-Link Air Bridge dongle should not really be impacted since its not going through the router anyway?

Last edited:
"B0-3C-DC-D2-EC-37" This is the mac address of the network adapter that is related to the failure. Open a command prompt (right click start menu button, select Command Prompt), type
ipconfig /all
look for the above string. It will give the adapter name. Chances are it is just the driver causing your issues. That mac indicates that it will be an Intel device, so could be BlueTooth, Wifi, or wired Ethernet, they make all three.

go to Intel.com and search for the <device name> driver.

Before installing the new driver, go into Device Manager (Right click Start Menu button - select Device Manager, or go to Control Panel (small icons view) find Device Manager) find the device (look under Network adapters), right click properties -> Driver tab. Write down or screenshot the current driver version, and post that here.

Example:
1674320204531.png

Other solutions if the above doesn't help:

NetBT 4311 errors and what has fixed it for others https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-restart/d89adc8b-63cc-4fbb-84cd-f994f5416074

"It went away for me after I re-slotted my RAM sticks and video card. I took them out, cleaned the contact strips and put them back in, making sure they were seated firmly."

"Noticed in my event log that it only began after I had installed NordVPN Did a full uninstall and it hasn't happened since"

"This probably isn't going help most of you but I reapplied the thermal paste on my CPU after realising I hadn't done it for almost 8 years. It's been three days and I haven't had a crash/lock up yet. If your standard OS/driver checks yield nothing then take a look at your components and begin swapping them out systematically until you a isolated the issue or notice something you may not have maintained very well.
Simple OS checks you can do in powershell or cmd:

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Confirm you OS's hard drive is functioning properly:
CHKDSK /f /r C:
" ^-- These are good general troubleshooting steps.

"The thing that ultimately solved this for me, was removing the GeForce Experience. So my guess is the issue is a VPN and the GeForce Experience software working together. It might be fixed by now, not sure. But I have not missed it, so no reason to find out :)"

It's likely a network driver or something that applies a filter to the network driver, like a VPN client. Try updating the Intel nic driver first.

Pretty sure you need to reflow the gpu. Check this thread for details.
DO NOT attempt to reflow a brand new video card. The stupidest suggestion ever, if it was a joke, it was not a good one.

EDIT: Just saw the recent posts... sucks that it is a built in nic issue. That article only mentions disconnects though, and not bluescreens. You could still try the latest driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...r-complete-driver-pack.html?wapkw=i226 driver
but, if the mobo can still be returned to place of purchase, that is probably the best route to go. Sucks, but that is what I would do in your situation.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited:
DO NOT attempt to reflow a brand new video card. The stupidest suggestion ever, if it was a joke, it was not a good one.
that was a joke and a good one. read the thread.

I am just going to use wi-fi as my router is only one foot away and I get the same speeds as wired.
if that will work for ya do that while they try to figure out the nic issue. everything else working now though?

Was the issue the bios update on the board? Or you mentioned you updated the cards bios?

Back