Bleszinski Responds To Fan Criticism

HardOCP News

[H] News
Cliff Bleszinski sat down with Shacknews today and discussed his recent comments about the PC gaming platform and why Gears of War 2 is going to be a Xbox 360 exclusive.

Saying that "high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC," Bleszinski noted piracy and the challenge of designing games for open systems as two reasons why Epic will not be porting Gears of War 2 to the PC. The sequel is set for an exclusive Xbox 360 release on November 7

If I remember correctly, isn’t this exactly what happened with the original Gears of War? They said back then that GoW wouldn’t go to the PC and sure enough, it was eventually released. I think we’ll eventually see GoW2 on PC despite what was said today. Don't you?

Its Cliffy B. The man rocks a Bunny Suit every now and again

What happened to that guy :(

GoW tanked on Windows, was broken to begin with, and wasn't well supported in terms of patching. Considering that they let GoW die on the vine, I doubt they'll bother porting GoW2 over.

If you ask me, Cliff can sit on it and spin. Every time I see a picture of the guy, I swear I can see dollar signs in his eyes.

as soon as they stop making money from the console sales - it will be ported to PC in a flash!

gears of who? i haven't played a console since super nintendo, is that on genesis or something? BLAST PROCESSING!!!!!

"There's a hundred guys at work, a number of which have wives and kids, and there's a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that they can afford their Pedialyte and their Enfamil"

Wow .. so basicly he is saying that if he ported the game on to PC it would do so poorly that people at epic wouldn't be able to afford simple things for there family ? I just don't know even what to say to that. Epic games is a very ..very well taken care of company that could well absorb the hit if Gears of War 2 failed terribly , but it won't so Cliffy saying this means to me he is completely brainwashed by nonsense .

Seriously Cliff ..stfu.

I'm Disappointed. The interview failed to address one of the biggest things he "took flak for" regarding his comments on the PC platform. Namely, this one:

CliffyB said:
As a side note to all of this, regardless of what's going on with Spore and all that, I've come to believe that the kind of person who's savvy enough to have a high-end PC - to upgrade it, to figure the ins and outs of it and to make sure he has a solid system - probably knows what BitTorrent is. That's all I'm saying.

Right about the time he flat-out called all high-end PC gamers pirates, the PC community (rightly so, IMHO) ripped him a new asshole. But then, Cliffy being wildly out of touch with the fan base that made him what he is isn't surprising these days, as

CliffyB said:
There's a hundred guys at work, a number of which have wives and kids, and there's a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that they can afford their Pedialyte and their Enfamil

Him insinuating that Video Game Developers, particularly the ones at Epic that sell multi-million-dollar UE3 licenses like pop-tarts, are in imminent danger of being unable to feed their families exemplifies.

If you ask me, Cliff can sit on it and spin. Every time I see a picture of the guy, I swear I can see dollar signs in his eyes.

During one of the early demonstrations of Gears, I noticed that he made a very big point of pushing the names of the main characters, Marcus and Dominic. Just that little thing said everything to me, in that he was very aggressively pushing an original IP wrapped around the gameplay. From a financial standpoint it was a very smart move, because those names = big $$$ when licensing the Gears universe for movies and other merchandising.

So yeah, he's had his eyes on the cash by means of creating an original IP for a while now.

Meh noone will admit they are making pc conversion when they got millions of console gamers waiting to overpay for inferior version of game with broken controls :D

For the original Gears they never said they wouldn't port it, they always used 'clever speak' to not answer, or imply they wouldn't, leaving people to assume they meant no.

This time he is flat out saying NO to PC.

Well, they might be a little gun shy after UT3 did poorly on PC (but sold well once the console versions came out)

Didn't Crysis and UT3 both do very poorly at first? I mean something like sub 50k copies the first month while Xbox - PS3 - Wii titles were shipping 1+ million units?

With that said, Cliffster and Mark Rein have a history of pissing people off by saying stupid stuff (like the Infamil / Pedialyte crap) :rolleyes:

So we don't have to suffer through another crappy port? Cliffy has never read the saying, " it is better to remain silent and be thought and fool" and we all know the rest...

Cliff Bleszinski said:
Bleszinski noted piracy

Because piracy only exists on the PC and not on consoles. :rolleyes:

Some of these guys need to get a clue. :p

Nevertheless I have my preorder for Gears2 LE already put down. ;)

If it wasn't for the PC gaming community Epic wouldn't be where they are now. They are biting the hand that fed them through their early years. Fuck that.

Apparently you haven't heard of MOD CHIPS. I think it is you, sir, who needs to get a clue, before you make inaccurate statements and proclaim your console fanb0i-ism to the world.

You usually have to void your warranty to pirate on a console, with PC you just have to find what you want and follow instructions.

If console piracy starts getting out of hand I'm sure they can resort to much more drastic measures than they can on PC.

Apparently you haven't heard of MOD CHIPS. I think it is you, sir, who needs to get a clue, before you make inaccurate statements and proclaim your console fanb0i-ism to the world.

Didn't you see the emote? He was being sarcastic with his first line.

Rolleyes generally = sarcasm
fix your sarcasm detector

I like how Epic has turned into a bullshit company. They wouldn't be where they are at today if it weren't for the PC gaming community and the Unreal games. All they care about now is their pet project GoW and snubbing the community that put Epic on the map.

You know what the problem here is? The title says FAN criticism. Cliffy B has few fans left in the PC world.

i bought mercs 2 for the coop play because as far as i know it's not possible to play that game coop with a pirated copy. if they did the same with gow2 then i'd buy it for sure as would my friend who plays coop games with me. we played the first gow all the way through as coop. to me those games just aren't as fun playin by yourself. oh and gow on the console sucks balls. try as i might i just can't get used to aiming with a controller. mouse + kb ftw.

Damn I should've shouted C-C-C-C-C-COOOOMBO BREEAAAAAKEEERRR!!! when I had the chance.

I like how Epic has turned into a bullshit company. They wouldn't be where they are at today if it weren't for the PC gaming community and the Unreal games. All they care about now is their pet project GoW and snubbing the community that put Epic on the map.

This.

I've honestly stopped listening to him, just the same as the other "renowned" developers enjoy shooting off their mouths thinking that the gaming world gives a hoot as to what they have to say.

Obviously there's money to be made in the PC world, otherwise Valve wouldn't be still supporting it so heavily.

It's their fault for snubbing their fanbase with UT3, and crying about it later like it was not their fault for poor sales.

The biggest offense is that Unreal Tournament 3 was such a steaming pile. I played UT99, UT2004, and UT3 back to back, and it is unbelievable how bad UT3 feels in comparison to those two other awesome games. The movement is terrible. Combine that with busy overdesigned characters that are dropped into busy overdesigned backgrounds and ugh, headache time. It is crazy that the same developers made these games.

I confidently predict that it will be a console exclusive...until the initial console sales start to tail off, at which point they'll toss out a quick PC port to squeeze out any extra cash they can.

Just like with GOW1.

I bought gears for the PC for about $10... after installing it, (took way to damned long to instal by the way,) it crashed in the menu screen...thought to myself...yup $10 that feels about right.

Lets call a spade a spade; it has little to do with piracy it has to do with tastes of the market share and where the money's at... Consoles make more money and the general age demographic of console users falls in line with the type of game that gears is, (which to my estimation is akin to a slasher B-movie.) As well as the fact that they can get away with charging $60+ for a game where on the PC that wouldn't fly unless its coming with extra goodies...

Epic has never been known for making shall we say overly deep games; and based on the titles out there, (for the most part,) that is what the console market is currently catering to...

Whatever, Cliff. I bought GoW, never finished it because it was so much on rails they may as well have just had quick time events and called it a day. I wouldn't have even considered buying GoW2, which looks like it has even more shallow gameplay if that's possible, so it doesn't make any difference to me whether they port it or not.

Blame piracy all you want, the surprising thing is that a company that has a reasonable history of PC shooters should be surprised that their crappy console ports aren't well received by PC gamers.

I bought gears for the PC for about $10... after installing it, (took way to damned long to instal by the way,) it crashed in the menu screen...thought to myself...yup $10 that feels about right.

Lets call a spade a spade; it has little to do with piracy it has to do with tastes of the market share and where the money's at... Consoles make more money and the general age demographic of console users falls in line with the type of game that gears is, (which to my estimation is akin to a slasher B-movie.) As well as the fact that they can get away with charging $60+ for a game where on the PC that wouldn't fly unless its coming with extra goodies...

Epic has never been known for making shall we say overly deep games; and based on the titles out there, (for the most part,) that is what the console market is currently catering to...

Bingo.

I don't know about you but the shooter was born on the pc, and we have seen some truly excellent fps experiences come our way that never (or at least not yet or not PROPERLY) found their way to the console. Perhaps it has less to do with piracy and more to do with mediocre games. UT3 was horrible in comparison to previous incarnations and other titles available. GoW was a decent coop playthrough but like other people on here, i got it for 10 bucks, played it coop only (would never have touched it single player) and never installed it again. Not worth 60 bucks, and i'm almost certain GoW2 will be the same.

Don't call us pirates simply because you no longer care about making quality games. The console people may eat it up (like with ut3) simply because they don't have the options pc gamers do. Don't try to put GoW next to fear and tell me its better, or try to put UT3 next to CoD4 or crysis warhead. PC gamers have high end gear to have a high end and customizable experience. Because we are more tech savvy doesn't mean we will pirate, it means we aren't usually dumb enough to buy a pile of shit in a box and praise you for it.

Let's not mention the bullshit about the cost and such, technically those pricks don't even need to make in house games with how much they get just from licensing the engine. Though i guess with the current quality of their games they know they don't need it...it shows.

Anyway i'm boycotting epic, not like i'm missing much, F*ck GoW2

Bingo.

I don't know about you but the shooter was born on the pc, and we have seen some truly excellent fps experiences come our way that never (or at least not yet or not PROPERLY) found their way to the console. Perhaps it has less to do with piracy and more to do with mediocre games. UT3 was horrible in comparison to previous incarnations and other titles available. GoW was a decent coop playthrough but like other people on here, i got it for 10 bucks, played it coop only (would never have touched it single player) and never installed it again. Not worth 60 bucks, and i'm almost certain GoW2 will be the same.

Don't call us pirates simply because you no longer care about making quality games. The console people may eat it up (like with ut3) simply because they don't have the options pc gamers do. Don't try to put GoW next to fear and tell me its better, or try to put UT3 next to CoD4 or crysis warhead. PC gamers have high end gear to have a high end and customizable experience. Because we are more tech savvy doesn't mean we will pirate, it means we aren't usually dumb enough to buy a pile of shit in a box and praise you for it.

Let's not mention the bullshit about the cost and such, technically those pricks don't even need to make in house games with how much they get just from licensing the engine. Though i guess with the current quality of their games they know they don't need it...it shows.

Anyway i'm boycotting epic, not like i'm missing much, F*ck GoW2

^^^ This. The level of quality from them just dropped off a cliff (no pun intended, I swear)

The biggest offense is that Unreal Tournament 3 was such a steaming pile. I played UT99, UT2004, and UT3 back to back, and it is unbelievable how bad UT3 feels in comparison to those two other awesome games. The movement is terrible. Combine that with busy overdesigned characters that are dropped into busy overdesigned backgrounds and ugh, headache time. It is crazy that the same developers made these games.

Yeah I paid for an liked UT99, UT2003, and UT2004. I even bought UT3 just in-case they "fixed" it and people started to play it.

UT3 was the worst pile of shit to every come out of epic for the pc, they should of kept it on the console and i wouldnt of cared. The demo had so many issues and they fixed none of them when the game shipped.
Epic is now a console only company, pc users should accept that and steer clear of any shit that they port for the pc.

You know what the problem here is? The title says FAN criticism. Cliffy B has few fans left in the PC world.

That's what I though when I read the title. Cliffy has fans?!? Then I realized the article talked about fans of "Epic and the PC platform".

Well, they might be a little gun shy after UT3 did poorly on PC (but sold well once the console versions came out)
??? I don't think either console version sold much better than the PC version. It's been awhile since I even paid attention to UT3, but last I heard the PS3 and PC version weren't too far apart in sales.

UT3 on all platforms put together didn't do as well as UT2004 which was a PC exclusive.

??? I don't think either console version sold much better than the PC version. It's been awhile since I even paid attention to UT3, but last I heard the PS3 and PC version weren't too far apart in sales.

UT3 on all platforms put together didn't do as well as UT2004 which was a PC exclusive.

Yeah, UT3 tanked everywhere.

Yeah, UT3 tanked everywhere.

The tragic thing about UT3 was that Gears killed it.

UT3 died when they went back on their original design of Warfare as a Natural-Selection style hybrid FPS/RTS with interactive levels and turned it into "Onslaught with orbs!". When they went back on their original design of having the Necris vehicles be a full set of vehicles mirroring the Axon set but with slight variations, and substituted it for "Well there's some other vehicles that are fewer in number and really wacky and borderline imbalanced!". When they designed their characters to all have huge, bulky armor and huge, hulking muscles with bright neon lights everywhere and essentially be brightly-colored Gears characters. When they made that utterly retarded campaign mode with a story written by a third-grader and such lovely gems as a freaking backronym on F.L.A.G. to explain why people in a war are playing capture the flag and respawn when they die. When they prefaced an Unreal Tournament game, on the PC, with "From the studio that brought you GEARS OF WAR!"

UT3 would have been leagues more successful if Epic had actually made an Unreal Tournament game, and not Gears Arena.

Too bad they were too busy taking it up the ass from Microsoft for shitloads of money. The really sad thing is that Cliffy was a respected and liked individual before he had to start fumbling to explain himself rather than just man up and say "Microsoft offered me obscene amounts of money to be their bitch, so now I wear the leather when they tell me to."

Back