The Sims 2 (13 million)[2]
The Sims 2: Pets [expansion pack] (5.6 million)[3]
The Sims 2: Seasons [expansion pack] (1 million)[3]
World of Warcraft (12 million subscribers)[4]
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade [expansion pack] (3.5 million)[5]
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King [expansion pack] (4 million)[6]
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm [expansion pack] (4.7 million)[7]
StarCraft (11 million)[8]
Half-Life (9.3 million,[9][10] may include PS2 version)
Half-Life: Opposing Force [expansion pack] (1.1 million)[9][10]
Half-Life 2 (6.5 million,[9][10] may include Xbox version but does not include Steam sales)
Guild Wars (6.5 million in North America, Europe, and Asia; includes Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North)[11]
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (6.3 million in North America)[12]

ect

That's just pc games listed above, 16m of sims beats your combined list already.

Someone's fudgin numbers.

That list is even more depressing than having COD taking up 40% of the top ten list. No wonder companies make shit shovelware games.

MW2 sold I think 20 million copies, so its still at the top. (Worldwide)

Guitar Hero? omg. lolll...weird statistics. anyone has an official link?
wink.gif
or i just missed it. i don't exactly trust wikipedia though.

people are just too pessimistic about this entire deal....

i honestly don't know if i've heard any of my friends say that black ops is even close to the best call of duty game, and all of my xbl friends are met through call of duty games... that said..

i'd take the numbers as a good sign that more people are gaming today than ever, which is a good thing, really. These new gamers will learn to spend their money on real quality games eventually :)

Not really suprising that a new popular game that was released on every platform except the psp went to the top of that list...

Combined numbers for 360, ps3, pc, wii, and ds there...

Not really suprising that a new popular game that was released on every platform except the psp went to the top of that list...

Combined numbers for 360, ps3, pc, wii, and ds there...

With how monster hunter sells for psp in japan i am surprised its not on that list.

It only took four months, but Call of Duty: Black Ops has already taken the top spot as the best-selling game in U.S. history.

Since its release in November, Black Ops sold 13.7 million units in the U.S. combined across Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Wii, and Nintendo DS, according to retail tracking firm NPD.

Below is the latest, best-selling list of video games in the U.S. to date as provided by NPD:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. Wii Play W/ Remote
3. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
4. Guitar Hero III Legends Of Rock
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
6. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
7. Mario Kart w/ Wheel
8. New Super Mario Bros
9. Wii Fit
10. Call Of Duty: World At War

...and soon to be beaten by Duke Nukem Forever. :)

Society disappoints me for buying this over-rated piece of crap.

I'm not disappointed with society. I already expect as much.

Now, do I think society is down the tubes? yes.

This is sad, I am a huge CoD fan but I think that Black Ops is weaker than MW2 or CoD 4 (especially CoD 4). People get so hooked on "the series" and automatically buy it, I'd have happily skipped BO if all my friends didn't pressure me into getting it.

Which is exactly why you will buy the next one this November.

Even knowing that many of the numbers on this list may not be accurate, it's still a pretty disappointing example of expensive shovelware that far outsells the true gems.

It only took four months, but Call of Duty: Black Ops has already taken the top spot as the best-selling game in U.S. history.

I think it's kind of ironic how a few places below this one there's a thread titled "Why good video games just aren't profitable" :p

I will admit it openly, I loved MW2, and would buy it again for $60, I have almost 600 hours on that game, so I got my money out of it. Blops sucks, terrible POS, I have maybe 85 hours including single player. MW3 is probably going to be a purchase for me.

Same here. I bought Blops because friends were playing and I had a faint hope that it would be good, but it simply can't compare to MW2. IW's games just seem to have an awesome quality to them that Treyarch is unable to replicate. I have hopes for MW3 though.

While IW does have some of the original members still, the majority of the senior membership has left. Of a studio of 105 people 46 of them are now gone including most senior members. While it will remain infinity ward in name its really a new studio under entirely different leadership and will operate differently. Whether this is for better or worse (I would guess worse) remains to be seen. With the change in leadership though there are no guarantees at all that future titles will have any of the polish of infinity wards previous titles.

Don't forget there are now even more studios working on the COD series. Last time I check MW3 was being codeveloped by sledgehammer games and raven software.

Not having played Black Ops, Treyarch deserves some credit here for improving the quality of their games over the past few years. Both WAW and Black Ops are by all accounts much better than their previous COD titles.

Not having played Black Ops, Treyarch deserves some credit here for improving the quality of their games over the past few years. Both WAW and Black Ops are by all accounts much better than their previous COD titles.

Take your trolling arse and shove your head up it and jump off a bridge please.

It's not surprising. What's funny is that the same people that bought and contributed to those statistics, will criticize Crysis 2 multiplayer for being like Call of Duty multiplayer...

it's "hey I just bought the less than original (for years now) Call of Duty series, but I will not buy this other game, because it's very similar to Call of Duty"

"Oh and also because it's DX9 only ...Call of Duty is DX Nin....oh wait..."

It's whine, whine and more whine over new games. Then go buy the same crap all over again, making those statistics staggering and telling developers that they really need to make more of those. It's stupid and hopeless...

The US is the most militarised country on earth, really doesn't surprise me these lollipop "made for console" war FPS feature so strongly in the top 10.

The US is the most militarised country on earth, really doesn't surprise me these lollipop "made for console" war FPS feature so strongly in the top 10.

The US is the most 'couchpotato-ized' country. We sit in front of some electronic stimulus all the time. We don't walk anywhere, we don't bike anywhere, we just sit in front of the TV to watch a boring show or to play a boring console, and if we are standing in line for something we are using the phone.

In other countries like Africa, kids make soccerballs out of paper bags in peace. Or else we have people running around with machetes or guns. People are just plain outside more in other countries.

We play military games or similar such, because we need adventure. And the couch or desk is an easier place to do it.

I want to get a job being the guy who operates the crank on the game making machine at Infinity Ward. I'd have huge muscles!

gamemakingmachine-1.png

Last edited:
Back