Black Mesa: Source appears to be inbound soon

Certain games just age well. TF2 and Jet Set Radio are two games that have a long potential shelf-life graphics-wise due to the art style. As long as they are capable of supporting future resolutions, they're not the types of games that need major graphics engine updates. CS, on the other hand...CS:GO is really showing the age of the Source engine imho.

I waited for this forever, I bought HL1 when it first came out (1999) and I got the game of the year edition. I was 8 years old when I got it at Office Depot, and this mod kept me waiting for over a year then I said F*CK it because it took forever. I'll get it whenever it comes out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Soon as in ? next month, next year, next decade :rolleyes:

Yeah, I officially don't give a shit anymore about this mod. I gave it the benefit of the doubt when this thread appeared, but after a month....yeah. Too bad too, the concept was nice and the first HL was awesome and would love to see it be made in Source engine (notice I didn't say modern because Source is 8 years old lol).

Soon as in ? next month, next year, next decade :rolleyes:

Probably "soon" relative to how long we've waited already. The Lead Dev on the project said in a recent interview "We’re working very hard to get something out to our fans in the soon-ish timeframe. I really won’t say anything more than that."

If pessimism helps you get through the wait, then more power to you.

Hell,I stopped caring about Episode 3 long ago,so why should I care about some rehash of the original HalfLife ?

Probably "soon" relative to how long we've waited already. The Lead Dev on the project said in a recent interview "We’re working very hard to get something out to our fans in the soon-ish timeframe. I really won’t say anything more than that."

If pessimism helps you get through the wait, then more power to you.

Not expecting it to ever release isn't pessimism anymore. It's being bloody realistic. I'd call it stupidity to believe in them anymore.

Not expecting it to ever release isn't pessimism anymore. It's being bloody realistic. I'd call it stupidity to believe in them anymore.

Why do you say that? The RPS interview explained the delays pretty well. There has been more activity than ever on the BMS twitter/facebook and wiki. Plenty of evidence that development is still going strong.

I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm basically forcing myself to not look up any more screenshots or teasers just to prevent myself from getting disappointed. This approach works well with other games and basically everything else in life. Try it.

Yeah, I officially don't give a shit anymore about this mod. I gave it the benefit of the doubt when this thread appeared, but after a month....yeah. Too bad too, the concept was nice and the first HL was awesome and would love to see it be made in Source engine (notice I didn't say modern because Source is 8 years old lol).

People give Valve the benefit of the doubt all the time in regards to their silence about HL3/EP3 yet when the developer of a mod does the same thing (yet still giving out more info than Valve) they get sh*t on. Just saying. ;)

People give Valve the benefit of the doubt all the time in regards to their silence about HL3/EP3 yet when the developer of a mod does the same thing (yet still giving out more info than Valve) they get sh*t on. Just saying. ;)

Because Valve is a corporation that makes money and is motivated to do so...BMS is a bunch of guys with free time on their hands. Kind of like the Enlightenment Window Manager for Linux, gawd knows when and or if it will be released in a stable form....But Enlightenment at least has code in the wild.

Because Valve is a corporation that makes money and is motivated to do so...BMS is a bunch of guys with free time on their hands. Kind of like the Enlightenment Window Manager for Linux, gawd knows when and or if it will be released in a stable form....But Enlightenment at least has code in the wild.

Makes no sense. I know plenty of people more motivated to do side-show projects than actual projects they get paid to do. The fact of the matter is that they're working on it, and giving updates. They could just as easily say "F*ck you everyone" and leave it at that.

I don't like it when people call this "Vaporware" as if the developers are going to take 8 years worth of work and just give up for no reason. Vaporware is something that never has chance of ever going beyond a intial development/design phase, not an almost completed project. Calling something "Vaporware" also sounds like people are trying to bait the developers into 'proving them wrong', which is just childish.

That said, the developers behind BM don't know what the hell they are doing. Strait from the website
We have always gone for a "when it's done" approach.
which is not true, since they have announced several release dates over the years. Also, their mod status is 'on schedule' which is really funny considering that they were far enough along in 08 to announce 09 as the release, yet out of the blue, 3 more years worth of changes had to take place? That's no longer officially on schedule, it's officially on Valve Time. Oh, that would explain the rumors that Valve has their hands on this project.

24vprbo.jpg

I don't like it when people call this "Vaporware" as if the developers are going to take 8 years worth of work and just give up for no reason. Vaporware is something that never has chance of ever going beyond a intial development/design phase, not an almost completed project. Calling something "Vaporware" also sounds like people are trying to bait the developers into 'proving them wrong', which is just childish.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that BMS is "an almost completed project"? As you also point out, given the huge time gaps and repeatedly missed goals, is there any reason to believe BMS is further than development/testing?

If it ain't vaporware then what is it?

LOL..."more activity on their website/Facebook page means it has to be almost done"!

Unrealistic optimism right there folks...

Is there any evidence whatsoever that BMS is "an almost completed project"? As you also point out, given the huge time gaps and repeatedly missed goals, is there any reason to believe BMS is further than development/testing?

If it ain't vaporware then what is it?
Is there any evidence that the project is so far beyond repair that it's "vaporware"? No one is going to continue paying for web hosting, development, and spending time in social outlets for a hopeless project where they benefit nothing from lying about it's status and only proving they they can't ship a project by continuing a charade. It's a MOD that they are volunteering to work on in spare time, which may mean it could take years to finish.

If that ain't called in development then what is?

Today had an excellent game on Minsk. We were loosing at first up to the last flag on the map but then , supporting each other we managed to progress back to the very first flag. The team work was just excellent. When I saw several 6 people squads progressing towards enemy on the map step by step. That was just amazing experience. I hope BF3 had the same feeling. It's not. Though BF3 is beautiful :)

Today had an excellent game on Minsk. We were loosing at first up to the last flag on the map but then , supporting each other we managed to progress back to the very first flag. The team work was just excellent. When I saw several 6 people squads progressing towards enemy on the map step by step. That was just amazing experience. I hope BF3 had the same feeling. It's not. Though BF3 is beautiful :)

What the actual f*ck?

Talk about a miss click

The hell? I want some of what he's smoking...

LOL..."more activity on their website/Facebook page means it has to be almost done"!

Unrealistic optimism right there folks...

Thanks for twisting my words, I appreciate that.

What I actually said was that they are showing signs of life, thus there's reason to believe it's not dead.

Well... it's vaporware until it's not. Same as DNF I guess.

You really can't be assured of accurately labeling something "Vaporware" unless the company goes tits-up or something.

I'm calling 6-8 months for some type of new video/ demo. 1-2 years for release, thinking closer to 2.

Blackmesasource.com said:
The Black Mesa development team is re-creating the voices for all characters throughout the game.
To date over 6,500 lines of unique dialogue have been recorded and choreographed!

Oh dear. :(

I'm *praying* for an option to revert to original voices, 'cos shit, I'm not gunna stand for a bunch of emo amateur teens trying to 'voice act'.

I'm *praying* for an option to revert to original voices, 'cos shit, I'm not gunna stand for a bunch of emo amateur teens trying to 'voice act'.

Have you even heard the voice acting samples? Their superb.

It is literally illegal for us to port anything. Black Mesa is mostly made from scratch, excepting a few assets from the SDK. Pretty much every sound effect, every texture, every voice-over – all of it.

SOURCE

A small group of people, in their spare time, are remaking a AAA level FPS game from scratch.

... and people bitch about it taking to long.

If people read this interview they would probably get a better idea of why it was taking so long at first and where the mod is at now. There were some major hurdles with the original team, which was preventing much progress.

"Trying to organize who did what, what people were supposed to be doing… it was a logistical nightmare. If you are waiting on someone to tell you what to do or approve something, and they are never available when you need them, everything slows down drastically.

Only by removing bottlenecks and moving to more of a peer-review hierarchy where everyone chose what they worked on and everyone was able to give feedback to each other, did we finally begin to progress as a team."

Last edited:
A small group of people, in their spare time, are remaking a AAA level FPS game from scratch.

Thats pretty much what it boils down to.

I'll keep faith that some day it will be released. You just have to understand that they aren't going to rush it.

Thats pretty much what it boils down to.

I'll keep faith that some day it will be released. You just have to understand that they aren't going to rush it.
After reading part one and part two of the interviews on http://www.rockpapershotgun.com, I really have a much better understanding of what is taking so long, and that there were a lot of management related issues at the start that prevented the mod from progressing.

If someone is going to spend the time to read a single Q & A from that interview, it should be this one ...

RPS: You got a lot of attention with a stunning trailer in 2008, and I think that made a lot of people assume Black Mesa would be finished shortly after. Obviously, there have been tons of cries of “Why aren’t you finished yet”? What’s it like dealing with that kind of pressure and expectation? Is it warranted?

Carlos Montero: I don’t know if I can answer that without answering why we didn’t make our 2009 deadline in the first place. We’ve talked about it a lot since then, but many people still don’t know the story.

We were very excited with our progress in 2008. We talked a lot about what we had accomplished through the year, really analyzing the volume of work we had “completed.” We seriously thought that if we accomplished half of what we did that [over the course of the] year next year, we could complete the project. So we were audacious enough to tack a “2009″ onto the trailer and get everyone very, very excited.

We were determined to make this release date come hell or high water, and we killed ourselves to do it. We were cutting corners everywhere, cutting chunks of maps out, rushing through everything, making rash decisions. Basically, we ended up going against all of our core values just to hit this deadline we had set for ourselves. It was harrowing, frustrating, and as we came to find out, ultimately futile.

While we had something at the end of all of this, it still had huge missing chunks of the game and none of us were proud of it anymore. If anything, we were more disgusted with all of the shortcuts we had taken to get there, and all of the great ideas we had put aside to make it happen. We had a huge internal discussion in which we ultimately decided to break the news to the public and to re-focus and make something we could actually be proud of.

If anything, this push was a big part of what made us realize what this game could be. We had parts of the game that were “done” at that time – in that they had recreated Half-Life fairly identically – and we began to realize how that wasn’t enough and how we had a lot longer to go.

So to get back to the question, of course there has been a ton of pressure from the community. We’ve spoken openly with them before about how and why our 2009 date wasn’t met, but it hasn’t done much to alleviate their cries. We made a promise once, we broke a promise once, and we are acutely aware of how much damage that did to our fans – which is precisely why we won’t make the same mistake again.

The basic mentality:

Some random guys who aren't being paid to make a game: Hey! We're going to make a game everyone will like!

Assh*les (everyone): GREAT! When will it be out? *hype*

Random developer guys: We're running into a lot of issues. *Delays game due to life/priorities/etc.*

Assh*les (everyone): Lazy, douche bags, f*ck them, I hope they die. It'll never come out. My life is over. I work in the fast food business or an assembly line, and only complain on forums in my spare time.

After reading part one and part two of the interviews on http://www.rockpapershotgun.com, I really have a much better understanding of what is taking so long, and that there were a lot of management related issues at the start that prevented the mod from progressing.

nice article...really gives people a better perspective and appreciation for what these guys are attempting to do

The basic mentality:

Some random guys who aren't being paid to make a game: Hey! We're going to make a game everyone will like!

Assh*les (everyone): GREAT! When will it be out? *hype*

Random developer guys: We're running into a lot of issues. *Delays game due to life/priorities/etc.*

Assh*les (everyone): Lazy, douche bags, f*ck them, I hope they die. It'll never come out. My life is over. I work in the fast food business or an assembly line, and only complain on forums in my spare time.

Sort of, except the hype was built by the development team without justification, so I can understand the frustration of people who have been waiting for this.

At the same time, no one is entitled to this.

Sort of, except the hype was built by the development team without justification, so I can understand the frustration of people who have been waiting for this.

At the same time, no one is entitled to this.
They haven't really done a lot of hype building. They announce a date which at the time they feel is justified, and then the fans work themselves up into a frenzy based on a couple screenshots. It's not like they came out and said that BMS is god's gift to game development and that they'd make you their bitch.

They haven't really done a lot of hype building. They announce a date which at the time they feel is justified, and then the fans work themselves up into a frenzy based on a couple screenshots. It's not like they came out and said that BMS is god's gift to game development and that they'd make you their bitch.

Did you read that quote? The guy even admitted that they prematurely hyped everyone up for a 2009 release.

Basically it was really hyped up back then and then more or less fell off the radar until somewhat recently, but yet there has still been no concrete information.

No, it was that video they released that got them in this predicament in the first place.
See how the wrath of nerds on the internet works(every post about diablo3 release), these guys should have known better.

You let the internet down, man....... they are not forgiving.

Granted, I could care less. Compared to caring just a tad....

Carrot on a stick....

I think they are trying to monetize it. That's the delay. They might have gotten word about a similar project in Valve...and are being told to hold off.

They know it's what we want. It's what i've been wanting. I can't play the original Half-life no matter how hard I try....it's just too dated and I wasn't a PC gamer when it first came out.

They know there is big money in this.

Back