Bitcoin Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't I just download the bitcoin app, and then copy the code that it enerates and paste that into the site as my wallet ID? Or did I just make a total noob mistake?

Nope, you're good. What's your wallet addy? I'll send you a test.

sometimes it'll show up quicker if you go to the directory your bitcoin.exe is in and type (in the command line) bitcoin.exe -rescan

I've tried rescanning, still hasn't shown up.

Shall I try making a new address, or running bitcoin as administrator?

So, 5 hours later and I am still at .24 BTC since last night. So for the last 24 hrs with 510 Mhsh/s that's my total. Ouch.

Last edited:
Any Bitcoin Trading/Spending sites still operating even though MTGox has been down? I found one, but I'm leery of using any of them until GOX comes back up...

Any Bitcoin Trading/Spending sites still operating even though MTGox has been down? I found one, but I'm leery of using any of them until GOX comes back up...

Tradehill. Ive read they're reliable, and the owners interact regularly with the bitcoin.org forums. I dont like their transfer fees but if I were going to trade I'd use them over Mt.Cox.

AAAAaaaaaannnnd, to no-one's surprise, the re-launch of Mt.Gox has been delayed for 24 hours.

I think it's 8 GPUs, hence the 4 6990's. And as far as stealing from the pool, do they really want me to work off a negative balance? No way :eek:

You are a good person. Enjoy the BTC you made off of my and everyone else's hashes.

I am noticing that my wallet is reading 0 connections a lot more than I think it should. I sent out a test payment to above poster, and I know it sent on my end, but then after that my wallet has been disconnected pretty much since. Something funny with the network?

How would I check this? Program seems limited in terms of options

unledpl.png

edit: guess there's no harm in part of my main BTC address showing in the transaction list lol

unledpl.png

edit: guess there's no harm in part of my main BTC address showing in the transaction list lol

Plenty of people post their address publicly. So long as your PC is reasonably secure and you dont have a ginormous balance I dont think you'd run into any issues posting it everywhere.

set up an account at tradehill

do people just regularly send all their coins to their tradehill/mtgox accounts or do you just leave them in your wallet?

wondering if i should just send my coins to tradehill and leave them there

set up an account at tradehill

do people just regularly send all their coins to their tradehill/mtgox accounts or do you just leave them in your wallet?

wondering if i should just send my coins to tradehill and leave them there

I'd suggest, especially in light of what happened at Mt.Cox recenty, that YOU yourself secure your wallet, not leave your BTC entrusted to someone else. There are very creative ways to do this, such as keeping them on a flash drive, sending them to an offline address, etc.

I never trusted mtgox and I despise tradehill because of their referral bullshit that every useless idiot spams on the forums. All my trades were done at #bitcoin-otc on freenode IRC.

Hmmm, that explains everything. How big of files is it downloading? My internet has taken a huge dump lately

Hmmm, that explains everything. How big of files is it downloading? My internet has taken a huge dump lately

It definitely shouldnt be taxing on your pipe. Youre almost there, give it a little more time and you should be good to go.

starting from 0 it can take 3-4 hours, even on a good connection. it's not about your connection anyways, it's about how many people are connected i believe.. the more connections, the faster the blocks will download

Well it hasn't gone up since I posted that. And I mean dead slow, I only have DSL because ISP's in vegas are dumb and don't know what fiber is. I max out at about 40 kb/s on downloading, sometimes 70. I should be getting about 1 mb/s with my connection.

starting from 0 it can take 3-4 hours, even on a good connection. it's not about your connection anyways, it's about how many people are connected i believe.. the more connections, the faster the blocks will download

Yeah, it works like a torrent. That's why it's good to leave your client running in the background. You are in essence acting as a seeder on a torrent, sending data to people downloading the ever growing block chain.

I don't know if it is connecting then, it has not made any progress at all. It hasn't changed for almost an hour

If you have any doubts, shut down the program, shutdown your machine. Restart your DSL Modem + Router, let them boot back up, then turn your PC back on and let it connect to your network again. Once it does that, restart Bitcoin.exe and see if it starts getting connections

Rahburt. I live in Vegas and have cable modem(cox). Fast as hell! Why are you using dsl? I pay $35 for my 12 Mb line.

Well I live with my parents, but I'll be moving out soon. (I literally graduated high school on Tuesday)
We have 10mb embarq, but there's problems in our area. My parents might switch though if it keeps up, because this is terrible, it's been like this for about a week. They don't like Cox though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back